Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I need? Someone here to literally just play with me over and over again (and is on the East Coast).

Other than Smash, I have no IRL friends who plays fighting games. Funny story but years ago, I went on a family trip and we brought a few friends. On that trip we had plenty of downtime so me and my friend played a shit ton of SoulCalibur 4. While neither of us would be anything close to professional or even tournament ready... It was one of the few times I legit really got good at the game cause we just playing and playing and trying out new stuff.

I find it so hard to do that with randoms online with matchmaking.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I find it fascinating how fighting game characters gain new personalities of their own through their movesets

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
That's assuming none of the DLC characters are broke af. I've a sneaky feeling Djeeta might be Gran plus more
Gotta be faithful to the original game after all.

Also I fully expect a Narmaya fan to brute force her into being high tier through sheer determination and skill even if she isn't that good.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I need? Someone here to literally just play with me over and over again (and is on the East Coast).

Other than Smash, I have no IRL friends who plays fighting games. Funny story but years ago, I went on a family trip and we brought a few friends. On that trip we had plenty of downtime so me and my friend played a shit ton of SoulCalibur 4. While neither of us would be anything close to professional or even tournament ready... It was one of the few times I legit really got good at the game cause we just playing and playing and trying out new stuff.

I wouldn't mind taking you up on this as currently nobody I know has the game and I'm not really doing so great so far. Add me on PSN if you like: Jaded_Alyx

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I find it fascinating how fighting game characters gain new personalities of their own through their movesets

It's always one of my favourite things in fighting games. I associate Wolverine with berserker barrage and Iron Man with LIGHT PUNCH really strongly and neither are actually a thing in canon. Not to mention everything about COTA Sentinel

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
My Granblue knowledge is whack but isnt Narmaya like one of the most popular characters? Gonna suck for a lot of people when they just want to play their favourite waifu and she's a technical monster

Well the devs said that her play style would have her switching between two modes so she's probably kinda technical but I don't think they'll go over board.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I'll run some sets with you later. Spent the weekend poopsocking Satisfactory, but I'll be back at GBVS tomorrow.

Kikirin

Oct 25, 2017
The range Ferry has makes it hard as shit to close the gap I've found, at least playing as Zeta. Do L,M,H attacks cancel out EX attacks? I've been getting slapped out of my EX moves by just getting hit by a normal Heavy, its just weird as hell.
It depends on the EX attack's properties. If it doesn't have armor or invincibility then you can be hit out of its startup.

Oct 25, 2017
It's always one of my favourite things in fighting games. I associate Wolverine with berserker barrage and Iron Man with LIGHT PUNCH really strongly and neither are actually a thing in canon. Not to mention everything about COTA Sentinel
Captain Falcon has the be the purest example considering no one even remembers him from his original game anymore.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
YOU. ARE. DEFEATED

to be fair, doom would probably do all that shit in canon if he could get away with it

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
What's a general advice on what to do when you are getting rushed down? My brain freezes whenever my opponent gets aggressive and I just keep blocking until I get cornered and they kick my ass.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Seems very unlikely that the state of the meta by Evo will lead to everyone getting booted by Gran.
My Granblue knowledge is whack but isnt Narmaya like one of the most popular characters? Gonna suck for a lot of people when they just want to play their favourite waifu and she's a technical monster
Even with her being a stance character, I question them letting her end up too technical considering the game's target audience. I expect that she'll still be simpler to use compared to the likes of Yuzuriha in Under Night or even her BBTAG version, yet I also have no reason to believe that she'll be anywhere near as stiff as Johnny.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll run some sets with you later. Spent the weekend poopsocking Satisfactory, but I'll be back at GBVS tomorrow.
I wouldn't mind taking you up on this as currently nobody I know has the game and I'm not really doing so great so far. Add me on PSN if you like: Jaded_Alyx

Cool. Unlikely today as I'll be busy with FFXIV 5.2 but I should be able to find time. :) Really do want to run sets with people.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Wonder if Xseed could make dlc for GBVS open region so they could at least make up some of the lost sales with people picking up dlc through Xseed. Those who imported are potentially the ones sticking with game for longest, and that might amount to a lot of dlcs down the line.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Xseed could make dlc for GBVS open region so they could at least make up some of the lost sales with people picking up dlc through Xseed. Those who imported are potentially the ones sticking with game for longest, and that might amount to a lot of dlcs down the line.

How many games have open region DLC?

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018

Unlikely since Sega is publishing in Asia.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the one English voice I don't like (not having played the story mode) is Zeta. It doesn't feel fitting at all. I'm not too sure about Lyria, either. In general, they're good, though. Vaseraga's voice is amazing, and I like Metera's much more than I thought I would (might even prefer her to the Japanese one).

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's possible. And it's even messier when Sega are the ones publishing in Asia.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is down to run some sets I'll be on pretty much the whole evening, ready to set up a room if anyone is playing.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hm, the Ferry player didn't play her anywhere near lame enough (always pulling Lancelot over for the EX Geegee setups even when they weren't working and never going for the damage follow-up that would've helped keep him out when landing the whip grab didn't help, either).

Playing lame ain't fun, I see a lot of Ferry users abandoned their good positions in order to go in and set up some weird bomb stuff when they don't have to.

So I made it to A rank today, and I think I know how to nerf Ferry without destroying her gameplay. Just make all her normals air blockable. That way opponents can chicken block in and apply more mid screen pressure as well as have an easier time spot dodging/rolling through her standing and crounching m. She's still dominate from mid/full screen but it's a lot easier to pressure mistakes, which allow you to get in.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Playing lame ain't fun, I see a lot of Ferry users abandoned their good positions in order to go in and set up some weird bomb stuff when they don't have to.

So I made it to A rank today, and I think I know how to nerf Ferry without destroying her gameplay. Just make all her normals air blockable. That way opponents can chicken block in and apply more mid screen pressure as well as have an easier time spot dodging/rolling through her standing and crounching m. She's still dominate from mid/full screen but it's a lot easier to pressure mistakes, which allow you to get in.
YMMV, I don't find playing lame boring. Either way, didn't seem relevant if he was in a tournament and wanted to win.

Wouldn't what you're suggesting require making all normals for all characters air blockable for consistency?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
YMMV, I don't find playing lame boring. Either way, didn't seem relevant if he was in a tournament and wanted to win.

Wouldn't what you're suggesting require making all normals for all characters air blockable for consistency?

I don't think so. She's the only real physical zoner so there's no reason to adhere to consistency there, and stuff like gege is airblockable, even though it's on the ground. I think it's fine to buck the trend on that considering how dominant she is.

Beyond that, I don't know how you even begin to nerf her without completely changing her style or just putting her damage into the toilet.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Making Ferry's normals air blockable would completely kill her anti air game lol

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I see no sense in defying how grounded normals work against air blocking within the game's mechanics just to spite one character giving someone trouble. Pretty sure not getting to abuse jump-ins is the point in this game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Making Ferry's normals air blockable would completely kill her anti air game lol

She's got a dp. Making people think about not automatically using EX dp isn't necessarily the worst thing.

But yes, it takes away a significant factor in keeping players at mid screen.

I see no sense in defying how grounded normals work against air blocking within the game's mechanics just to spite one character giving someone trouble.

Well...damage in the toilet it is I guess.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Would having her kill people slower make any difference if they still don't know how to approach fighting her?

It would provide them with more opportunities to capitalize on a mistake, which is what 90% of GBVS is, capitalizing on mistakes and stealing turns.

But yeah, if someone decides to just be iron clad and play lame, there's not much that can be done, especially since her big damage is started at 3/4th screen anyway.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
How's the coop? I was watching Giantbomb's quick look and the only thing the second player was able to do was activate buffs. Is that actually all you can do or did they just not figure out how to take control for real?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How's the coop? I was watching Giantbomb's quick look and the only thing the second player was able to do was activate buffs. Is that actually all you can do or did they just not figure out how to take control for real?
No, they had the second player set to AI. The game has full co-op for the RPG mode.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Online as well? Though it would probably be unplayable with the friend I'd be playing with anyway if there's no rollback.
Yep. I played the entire RPG mode online with a friend. Though for some reason, the normal mode only allows online co-op on the boss battles (though there is still quite a few of those.) The hard mode allows co-op for every mission, which I'd recommend doing because it's a lot more fun on hard mode.

As for lag, there didn't seem to be that much. I don't think RPG mode is peer to peer like the online versus mode.