• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The prosecutor presents the facts of the case to a jury who decides if there is enough facts to support the elements of the crime, or any other crimes that might be applicable. It's not the opinion of the prosecutor, however the jury is heavily influenced by the prosecutor though. There is typically testimony during the grand jury as well, not just the prosecutor.
Right, it's like a trial in a country with barely any rights for the accused at all, where they also say it's fine because they at least let the accused speak for themselves at some point, but in the end there's still a 99% conviction rate.

Which is fine because it's just an additional step over the prosecutor just bringing it straight to court where the accused has all their rights, but not fine to be treated as anything more than a prosecutor's opinion.

I guess you could maybe treat it as 1% more than the prosecutor's opinion.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, it's like a trial in a country with barely any rights for the accused at all, where they also say it's fine because at least we let the accused speak for themselves at some point.

Which is fine because it's just an additional step over the prosecutor just bringing it straight to court where the accused has all their rights, but not fine to be treated as anything more than a prosecutor's opinion.

But he was indicted by a grand jury so that's what the article says.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
But he was indicted by a grand jury so that's what the article says.
No one knows what a grand jury is. They just know what a jury is and assume it must be somehow more grand. And for people who do know what it is, it adds basically no information more than just saying he was indicted. That's what makes it misleading.

If it was called something boring like an arraignment committee, it never would be in headlines.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Right, it's like a trial in a country with barely any rights for the accused at all, where they also say it's fine because they at least let the accused speak for themselves at some point, but in the end there's still a 99% conviction rate.

Nobody gets convicted by the grand jury, it's a checks and balances system for felony charges to ensure people don't just get accused of crimes without any basis. I'm not sure where you're getting the 99% thing from, probably cynicism of the justice system which I get, but I've seen many charges refused by the grand jury because getting a group of people to agree on anything is usually a challenge

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one knows what a grand jury is. They just know what a jury is and assume it must be somehow more grand. And for people who do know what it is, it adds basically no information more than just saying he was indicted. That's what makes it misleading.

If it was called something boring like an arraignment committee, it never would be in headlines.

It would say "Comittee Indicts..."

I don't understand the desire to hold back information because not everyone is a lawyer. A grand jury indicted the guy.

I especially don't understand using this particular case to raise that issue.

Isn't he facing additional charges beyond that?

Yup, next week.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Isn't he facing additional charges beyond that?

sure, but. He got 4 years which was less than the time his own defense even recommended. So, its likely hes not going to catch much from the additional charges.

Big difference here is that Manafort committed multiple crimes, and made a mockery of the justice system, and the judge even made comments about how hes still a good person outside of all that. But hes wealthy and white.

Juss is about to have the book thrown at him and likely get the max for everything. Like all POC generally do.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Nobody gets convicted by the grand jury, it's a checks and balances system for felony charges to ensure people don't just get accused of crimes without any basis. I'm not sure where you're getting the 99% thing from, probably cynicism of the justice system which I get, but I've seen many charges refused by the grand jury because getting a group of people to agree on anything is usually a challenge
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ferguson-federal-grand-jury-indictment-statistics-history-134942645.html

In the more than 162,500 cases prosecuted by U.S. attorneys from 2009 to 2010, grand juries voted not to return an indictment in only 11, according to data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics — equivalent to one in 14,759 cases, or 0.0068 percent.​
I was being generous by not saying 99.997%

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
This is all gonna go plea bargain, no time as much as people want to get hyped up about some jail time. Likely will just be a big fine and not much more.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Of all the cases to raise this I'm not sure this is a good choice.
Actually, its the perfect case.

A false police report versus, every single thing manafort did and continued to do, will see less time in the media, as well as less time in prison than Jusse's about to if it all goes the way it usually does. Jusse will be made an example of, unlike Manafort.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
And the first line of the article is?

It's fine to say a grand jury is the source of the indictments. Because it is. I don't want my news catered to idiots.
But what important info does it even add?

Whatever, I didn't intend for it to turn into an argument and I'm going to stop before it gets too off topic.

Edit: And to answer "why this topic" it triggers me every time i see the headline, and I've brought it up before. I don't do it every single topic like this, but i figured this one might have more people not as interested in the criminal process and might like to know. But I don't mean to disrail the topic over it.

Last edited:

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It boggles the mind that after all this selfish asshole did people are trying to twist the narrative to make him some type of martyr with " Because he's black", " But Manafort" fucking wow. He probably won't even serve any time anyway, celebrity is celebrity

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

A false police report versus, every single thing manafort did and continued to do, will see less time in the media, as well as less time in prison than Jusse's about to if it all goes the way it usually does. Jusse will be made an example of, unlike Manafort.
Also considering how infrequently people get charged with filing a false police report to begin with. Although Jussie took it to another level with his accusations

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Big difference here is that Manafort committed multiple crimes, and made a mockery of the justice system, and the judge even made comments about how hes still a good person outside of all that. But hes wealthy and white.

Juss is about to have the book thrown at him and likely get the max for everything. Like all POC generally do.

Yeah. I'd like to have some level of optimism about this but that whole "he's a good person if you ignore all the things he did" really makes it clear that the whole "good person" thing is tied not to one's actions but to indelible marks of identity. Privileges of weath and fame are no substitute for the whole whiteness thing

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
He probably won't serve prison time unless he refuses to sign a plea deal, loses, and then the judge really throws the book at him for wasting everyone's time.
Pretty much, they got him dead to rights, no need for a trial where it's a foregone conclusion for him to potentially end up shit creek if it went through the full process.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Unless he's an even bigger idiot than we already suspect he'll plead guilty and stay out of jail completely. Him being charged with crimes isn't shocking because we all realize at this point that he committed crimes.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ferguson-federal-grand-jury-indictment-statistics-history-134942645.html

In the more than 162,500 cases prosecuted by U.S. attorneys from 2009 to 2010, grand juries voted not to return an indictment in only 11, according to data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics — equivalent to one in 14,759 cases, or 0.0068 percent.​
I was being generous by not saying 99.997%

But that is for federal crimes where prosecutors also get a huge percent of guilty pleas. States are lower I believe, but I can't find the exact statistics.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Also considering how infrequently people get charged with filing a false police report to begin with. Although Jussie took it to another level with his accusations

ya he fucked up, but breaking news fucking up? Nah, thats just the system working as intended.

Unless he's an even bigger idiot than we already suspect he'll plead guilty and stay out of jail completely. Him being charged with crimes isn't shocking because we all realize at this point that he committed crimes.

Find me someone shocked..ill wait..

Point is, if he gets any time -- it will in comparison be more than Paul Manafort, who loves crimes. Which illustrates the point that wealthy white men are untouchable in the justice system, generally. Its just a fun example to witness. Its rarely this boldly illustrated. Including media coverage.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Nothing more American than locking someone up over a nonviolent crime.

Y9YIXQC.gif

Poor, poor Smollett, greedy, parasitic sociopath exploiting racism and fear and the real suffering of people experiencing the real deal.
But if you are lucky maybe he doesn't get any jail time, America's "justice" is fucked, as has been proven time and again.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet the dude doesn't do any time unless they charge him with sending himself that letter.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
ya he fucked up, but breaking news fucking up? Nah, thats just the system working as intended.

Uhh...Jussie's the one who intended this to be talked about in the first place. He was a queer, black actor who experienced a brutal hate crime, who was standing up to hate and looking like a role model to many people. People wanted to support him and propelled the story further. Now that it's revealed it was all fake you're shocked that it's considered "breaking news" as if this hasn't been a story people have genuinely cared about since it was first reported? Come the fuck on.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Breaking news is exactly what Smollet wanted, but also average people are ravenous for celebrity news and crime, not so much politicians.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Uhh...Jussie's the one who intended this to be talked about in the first place. He was a gay actor who experienced a brutal hate attack, who was standing up to hate and looking like a role model to many people. People wanted to support him and propelled the story further. Now that it's revealed it was all fake you're shocked that it's considered "breaking news" as if this hasn't been a story people have genuinely cared about since it was first reported? Come the fuck on.

He lied.. and thats that. This was breaking news over a white supremacist coast guard wannabe with an arsenal and a congressional hit list.. at the time. You do understand what is going on here, right?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't have any shame in asking for more clarification. Tell me what you think is going on.

Its bigger news that a black man lied in the united states than having a potus that lies 6000+ times whenever he breathes, or a man committing crimes around the clock working for said president getting away with his crimes against our country, or a white supremacist wanting to gun down congresspeople.

People are getting played falling for this shit. He lied, hes going to plea his case in court, thats a wrap. My bad for believing the dude, and thats all you can do. The media is stoking this fire, on both sides for ratings.. but they wont touch the reality of the country right now.

We are not a hive mind, he is a flawed individual. His actions don't mean anything for anyone else who actually got gunned down in a church because they were black. Or, un-runover a woman from gentleman that had some good people in that group. But, thats the bullshit narrative that keeps popping up. That he is some how representative of anything. Its obscene the traction this is getting.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
This is all gonna go plea bargain, no time as much as people want to get hyped up about some jail time. Likely will just be a big fine and not much more.

100 percent this. Won't do a day of jail. Probation and community service or variation of. (Not including any new charges if found to have sent the threat letter to himself).

Idiots career is justifiable over minus the poor me tour.

Wish he had to spend time doing community service in high crime Chicago neighborhoods with legitimate violent crime victims. At least fine him for all the hours and resource drain of his bogus claims, also taking away from investigating legit violent crimes.