• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I saw Vasco making out with a male PC in an earlier trailer, so he's gonna be my choice.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen a Spiders thread get this much attention before ha ha. I'm glad though, their potential has always been there and this really looks like it's brining all their work together.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Focus Home is doing a great job with marketing. They always do.
Oh agreed, they always put out great trailers often with great narration explaining things it's just normally in Era it might get two pages of conversation ha. Focus really nailing it with this, Plague Tale and the Surge 2 in quick succession.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I saw Vasco making out with a male PC in an earlier trailer, so he's gonna be my choice.
I like the look of Kurt but I've read somewhere that he won't be romanceable? Hope that's not true. Not all that into Vasco, appearance-wise (but I guess if he's an interesting, well-written character, he might grow on me).

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Wishlisted this a few weeks ago, it looks so cool. Might go Day 1 with this because i really enjoyed the recent output of Focus Home (The Surge, Vampyr, The Council, Plague Tale) so this should be right up my alley.

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this video pop up as an advert on another video I was watching, I think it might be the first advert i've watched the whole way through. Game looks interesting! Will be keeping an eye on it

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So any one have any concerns on how pro colonial or pro imperialism this game is gonna be. Assuming Paragon path lets you find a happy balance

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Everything looks really polished... except for the facial animations. It's a hallmark of spiders but I was hoping there'd be a bit more improvement there since it's a story/drama/emotion heavy game, which lives and dies by the character acting.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
this looks really cool. I've heard of this game before but didn't expect to be surprised how fun it looks.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Continues to look (and sound) great. Really looking forward to it.

Yeah, the romance options are Aphra, Siora, Vasco (male) and Kurt, Vasco, Siora (female).

I like the look of Kurt but I've read somewhere that he won't be romanceable? Hope that's not true. Not all that into Vasco, appearance-wise (but I guess if he's an interesting, well-written character, he might grow on me).
The only same-sex romance option for male characters is Vasco (and Siora for female characters).

So any one have any concerns on how pro colonial or pro imperialism this game is gonna be. Assuming Paragon path lets you find a happy balance
It's a game that they say is designed to look critically at colonialism (rather than simply treating the invaders as saviors).

We'll see how successful they are, but from the trailers, I'm not really concerned that it won't be at least trying to explore the topic in more depth and with more care than most games.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Keeping Siora but I would've liked the explosives expert lady to be romanced :S

Do we know when review embargo is lifted?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only same-sex romance option for male characters is Vasco (and Siora for female characters).
Ah, that's a shame (and frankly a bit weird that all the same-sex options are also available as straight options but not the other way around). Haven't seen any official info on this, though. Do you have a source? Or are you an insider of some sort? In any case, if this is true, I just hope I'll like Vasco as a character. Otherwise it'll be a romance-less playthrough for me.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Pretty stoked for this. Haven't played a Spiders game since...Bound By Flame, I think? Certainly had its jank, but enjoyed it for what it was.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, that's a shame (and frankly a bit weird that all the same-sex options are also available as straight options but not the other way around). Haven't seen any official info on this, though. Do you have a source? Or are you an insider of some sort? In any case, if this is true, I just hope I'll like Vasco as a character. Otherwise it'll be a romance-less playthrough for me.
The CEO confirmed that Kurt is not a same-sex romance option. She also revealed that it would be 2 straight and 2 bi characters (with one same-sex option per gender), and we know all the romance options because of the trailers (and the achievements on Steam).

Kurt and Aphra are straight, and Vasco and Siora are bi (confirmed in the trailer in the OP).

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The CEO confirmed that Kurt is not a same-sex romance option. She also revealed that it would be 2 straight and 2 bi characters (with one same-sex option per gender), and we know all the romance options because of the trailers (and the achievements on Steam).
Yeah, I also just found this article:
Rousseau is quick to cut off any objections on the grounds of (pseudo-)historical inaccuracy. "Doing an historical game and allowing same-sex romance was a real question. I wanted to have some because I think it's important to players that we have this," she explained. "Spending some time to read some history about sailors at the time and some real native people from different regions of the world, some of these people were allowing same-sex marriage at the time, and sailors were able to marry on the ships."

She specifically mentions native people (Siora) and sailors (Vasco) so that lines up with your deduction. I do like the idea of addressing societal attitudes towards homosexuality so if the game actually does reference those issues as part of the romance arcs (and the same-sex arcs aren't just copy-pastes of the straight arcs), then I suppose having fewer options will be an alright trade-off (at least to me, though I can certainly see good arguments to the contrary, too). If not, though, then that explanation will ring a bit hollow. The main issue I could potentially see with this is that being limited to one option means you might end up having to decide between supporting the companions/factions you want and being able to have a romance. I just hope Vasco isn't part of a faction I end up hating :p.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
She specifically mentions native people (Siora) and sailors (Vasco) so that lines up with your deduction.
The trailer in the OP actually shows the same-sex options (we already knew it was Vasco when she said Kurt wasn't going to be an option because he was the other male romance, but the common thought was actually that Aphra would be the bi option—until the trailer showed Siora and a female De Sardet).

I do like the idea of addressing societal attitudes towards homosexuality so if the game actually does reference those issues as part of the romance arcs (and the same-sex arcs aren't just copy-pastes of the straight arcs), then I suppose having fewer options will be an alright trade-off (at least to me, though I can certainly see good arguments to the contrary, too). If not, though, then that explanation will ring a bit hollow. The main issue I could potentially see with this is that being limited to one option means you might end up having to decide between supporting the companions/factions you want and being able to have a romance. I just hope Vasco isn't part of a faction I end up hating :p.
Well, the Nauts (Vasco's faction) are mainly concerned with seafaring and exploration, so I actually don't think he'll be as tricky to navigate (heh) as Kurt (who is part of the mercenary faction).

I don't expect the romances will be much different between the genders (that's typically how it works in most games). I think her explanation is more background on why the options are Vasco and Siora (which bothers me a little, because I don't think you need justification to have some gay people in there, especially in a game with giant walking plant monsters), and the limitation is more just a design decision.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm really optimistic and hope this will be more of a success like A Plague's Tale and not share some of the under the radar fate of the Arkane Studio games.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really optimistic and hope this will be more of a success like A Plague's Tale and not share some of the under the radar fate of the Arkane Studio games.
I really hope that ends up being the case. A Plague Tale was truly something special. Hopeful that everything comes together for Greedfall.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect the romances will be much different between the genders (that's typically how it works in most games). I think her explanation is more background on why the options are Vasco and Siora (which bothers me a little, because I don't think you need justification to have some gay people in there, especially in a game with giant walking plant monsters), and the limitation is more just a design decision.
It does seem like an odd place to draw the line. You can play as a female who's a trained fighter, one of the characters is a black woman who's a renowned scientist but same-sex relationships need to be historically accurate? I mean, I'll reserve judgement till I've actually seen how it's all implemented (and I do think that they're acting in good faith here) but it does feel like a bit of an arbitrary limitation at the moment.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
This looks so cool. Hoping to grab it at some point in the future, and I hope it runs smooth and looks as good as that on my Xbox One X.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Upcoming Exploration RPG Greedfall Has My Attention (Kotaku)
Greedfall proved immediately gorgeous to look at. Butler started the demo in a small swampland, where beams of light pierced through gnarled branches. Distant forest trees held sage-colored leaves dotted with faded hues. Teer Fradee felt real, as if I could tell what angle my foot would take stepping on a rock. As Butler gave a brief overview of the area, he mentioned that Spider's CEO Jeanne Rousseau, the main writer on the game, found herself inspired by Baroque art and Flemish paintings. She also found inspiration in the historical accounts of various explorers and naturalists. Greedfall's world design held a specific ethos: to evoke awe and wonder. What I saw, limited as it was, touched upon those feelings. It was a place I wanted to poke at and whose nooks and crannies held promise.