MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
A full pledged sizable Astrobot game playable in VR and non VR.

They did mention their games will be playable on both and there hasn't really been any first party games designed like that except for GT7.

Astro is prime for that purpose.

(I don't expect them doing the VR and non VR thing a lot)

Det

Jul 30, 2020
A $50 million game is low compared to the premium $200 million games they put out, aside from licensing fees that push the budget higher.

I highly doubt Concord only costs $50M given how long it's been in development, number of staff, support resources needed via XDev and now as a 1st party, and general long-term roadmap for a GaaS.

Either way, it's been announced/dated (at least for 2024). I'm inferring from what Grubb said that it's more along the lines of Astrobot as he provided that info, and something like a MM. More curious if it is more than what we know + Astrobot, what it could feasibly even be; even if Fairgames was under that definition, I highly doubt it is this close to release.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I would certainly not assume Fairgame and Concord to be "low end budget AAA", they are games made by hundreds of people in expensive areas.

I highly doubt Concord only costs $50M given how long it's been in development, number of staff, support resources needed via XDev and now as a 1st party, and general long-term roadmap for a GaaS.

Either way, it's been announced/dated (at least for 2024). I'm inferring from what Grubb said that it's more along the lines of Astrobot as he provided that info, and something like a MM. More curious if it is more than what we know + Astrobot, what it could feasibly even be; even if Fairgames was under that definition, I highly doubt it is this close to release.
Firewalk seems to have 153 employees in Bellevue, WA which is less than Sucker Punch's 163 in the same location. The budget for GOT was $60 million from the leak, and we have an idea what Sony was willing to spend on a partnered GAAS with the reported $50 million budget, before withdrawing from the deal. Since the financial call about fp releases was talking about fiscal 2024 ending 3/2025, there is some leeway to assume games for next year that will be announced.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
A new Astrobot is more exciting than Horizon, God of War, The Last of us, Uncharted and Spiderman combined.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Rescue Mission but found Playroom to be a snooze fest. It'll be interesting to see the direction they choose for the next game.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
If so Nintendo got really lucky with the Switch 2 delay, so Mario won't have to compete against Astro.
marge.jpg

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
A full pledged sizable Astrobot game playable in VR and non VR.

They did mention their games will be playable on both and there hasn't really been any first party games designed like that except for GT7.

Astro is prime for that purpose.

(I don't expect them doing the VR and non VR thing a lot)
Yep, this is the dream, and I do hope it's true (and that we get it this year!).

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I want remakes of the PS2 Ratchet games like the Spyro remakes and remasters of the PS3 games.

Puppeteer as well

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
My 4 year old loves Asto's Playroom so much. He's put like 100+ hours into it, just replaying sections and slowly needing less and less help from me. For that reason, I hope this is not a PSVR game because he's still too young for that.

kwill94

May 26, 2022
A new Astro 10-12 Hours game will be awesone and maybe a chance to ps win a Best Family game on GA

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
60 million seller Astro Bot is getting a sequel? Count me in!

A new Astrobot is more exciting than Horizon, God of War, The Last of us, Uncharted and Spiderman combined.
Almost all of those recently got new entries so… yeah? Why are you pointing out the obvious lol.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Most people would have considered Helldivers 2 a small release before it launched and blew up, so it doesn't really mean much other than it isn't from one of the pillar first party studios. I assume Astro Bot and Concord are the new first party games Sony has planned this year. I hope Concord has some level of success after they acquired the studio.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Astro will finally have their moment because deep down inside they've known they're the chosen one!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god, please at minimum be hybrid flatscreen/VR. I don't need it to be VR exclusive to enjoy it. Just give it to me already.

And port Rescue Mission to PSVR2 already you cowards.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Outside the VR difference of course, how does the full original Astro gameplay differ from the sorta tech demo style of playroom?

In any case, this sequel is gonna still be the benchmark for actually using haptic feedback I guess
Now I'm not saying we need all the rain stages but, like maybe 30% rain stages in my controller, with thunder rumbles to boot

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Outside the VR difference of course, how does the full original Astro gameplay differ from the sorta tech demo style of playroom?

In any case, this sequel is gonna still be the benchmark for actually using haptic feedback I guess
Now I'm not saying we need all the rain stages but, like maybe 30% rain stages in my controller, with thunder rumbles to boot

The DS4 is tracked so there's all sorts of doodads and gadgets that can pop out of it in Rescue Mission like a plunger type attachment you use to create either ropes for Astro to walk on, or to pull down walls blocking your path, where you physically move the DS4 backwards to do. The launch trailer shows off a decent amount of them:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOqWdznjzy0

It all felt really intuitive and well designed. Rescue Mission didn't have Move support so assuming the new game has VR being able to utilize the two PSVR2 dualsense controllers should provide a lot more options for interactivity.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Question: Are we hearing this quote out of context? Are we sure he didn't mean…

"I do keep hearing there will be some smaller first-party games—like [Astro's Playroom]—that is supposedly still happening this year"

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Question: Are we hearing this quote out of context? Are we sure he didn't mean…

"I do keep hearing there will be some smaller first-party games—like [Astro's Playroom]—that is supposedly still happening this year"
It's possible in the context of today, but Grubb a few months ago said a Astro game was planned for this year.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I would happly take Astro bot or expansions like burning shores

But it seems that event things like it will no happen

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
If so Nintendo got really lucky with the Switch 2 delay, so Mario won't have to compete against Astro.
It's the other way around. Nintendo got word about a new Astro game and decided to delay both the new Mario and their new console to avoid getting their sales massacred by it.

Nixius

Feb 20, 2024
Put some respect on Astro Bot's name, last game sold over 50 million units and counting!