ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
He was called out by Naughty Dog with some unfounded information they claimed in the last year or so.

Grubb seemly is just using educated guesses based off history or the seeming direction of the industry. Xbox live being free when Xbox was full steam ahead with gamepass. Metroid, Direct dates, Sony dates, among others.

Sorry but this is clearly nonsense if you actually pay attention to what Grubb says and what he actually gets right and wrong.

You could not like the list but Pyoro has yet to miss so far. Pyoro has been insanely accurate and until they get stuff wrong (regardless of how they get their info), they don't deserve be lower than A tier if we were to make a full tier list.

Pyoro has been 100% accurate but the scope of what they reveal is pretty specific, i.e. It's just someone with access leaking what they know.

Grubb has multiple podcasts a week and also discusses general industry trends/speculates/ etc, He puts himself out there a lot more, and he's clearly also a lot more judicious what he leaks.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
Sony usually does 1 show a quarter, so it's a safe bet we get something within the next month or so. Grubb seems pretty confident that there is something in May specifically. Given that and how much time is left for an announcement, my expectation at this point is a State of Play. Those can be pretty good and I think we could still get something like Resident Evil in one.

Last edited:

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sony usually does 1 show a quarter, so it's a safe bet we get something within the next month or so. Grubb seems pretty confident that there is something in May specifically. Given that and how much time is left for an announcement, my expectation at this point is a State of Play. Those can be pretty good abd I think we could still get something like Resident Evil in one.

RE4 was revealed in a State of Play, they can definitely have bangers in one.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
I do wonder how people would feel if they took a more Nintendo like approach and started doing just SoPs.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
folks it's not that the PS Showcase is happening in May

he meant to say: "PS Showcase may be happening"

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between a State of Play and a Showcase is largely semantics yeah.

As of now there's a legitimate difference. When SoP's there's no real reason to expect any announcements from their internal teams since as far as I can recall they've never announced any games like that during those shows. They've been specifically reserved for Showcase's. That's primarily why people get more excited for Showcase's than SoP's.

I do wonder how people would feel if they took a more Nintendo like approach and started doing just SoPs.

If they made an announcement before a SoP saying that they were discontinuing Showcase's and they'd instead be rolled into SoP's, then I think people would be completely fine with it.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I asked ChatGPT the difference between Showcase and SoP:

Both Sony's Showcase and State of Play are events where Sony provides updates on its gaming products, but they have distinct differences in terms of scope, content, and frequency.

Sony's Showcase

1. Scope: Sony's Showcase events are large-scale presentations. They typically feature major announcements, including new hardware reveals, significant game releases, and extensive looks at upcoming titles.
  2. Content: These events often include in-depth trailers, gameplay demos, and presentations from developers. They cover a wide range of games, from first-party exclusives to major third-party titles.
  3. Frequency: Showcases are less frequent and usually occur around significant industry events or milestones, such as E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) or during special Sony events like the PlayStation Experience.
  4. Audience: The target audience is broader, aiming to generate excitement among the entire gaming community, including both PlayStation fans and the general public.

State of Play

1. Scope: State of Play is a more regular and focused series of presentations. These episodes provide updates on upcoming games and content specifically for the PlayStation platform.
  2. Content: State of Play typically features shorter segments, including new game trailers, updates on existing titles, gameplay footage, and announcements of release dates. These events might also spotlight indie games and smaller projects.
  3. Frequency: State of Play presentations occur more frequently than Showcases, often several times a year, to keep the community informed about the latest developments.
  4. Audience: The target audience is primarily PlayStation enthusiasts who want regular updates on the latest games and developments for the platform.
In summary, Sony's Showcase events are large, infrequent presentations designed to make big announcements and generate significant buzz, while State of Play is a more regular and focused series of updates aimed at keeping PlayStation users informed about ongoing and upcoming releases.

There's a reason why people get excited for Showcases and not so much SoPs.

Feb 20, 2024
Only to people not paying attention to what he actually says.

He said a SH2 thing might happen at a Sony event in May.

We're at the ass end of May.

There has been no other Sony event I can think of that has or may include SH2.

He also suggested he leans toward it being a Showcase, not a State of Play.

Defend all you want, but as I said, optics ain't good.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm guessing Sony wants their show after Xbox's, no? I mean, if they don't want their show to get buried, right?
Sony typically goes first. They have for a few years now, I think? Late May? Either SOP, or Showcase. Going late may, before SGF seems normal. I predict it'll be May 30.

Either announced tomorrow for Tuesday, or Announce Tuesday for Thursday. I choose the latter.

Jul 2, 2021
I'm guessing Sony wants their show after Xbox's, no? I mean, if they don't want their show to get buried, right?
giphy.gif

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
This is all part of a ploy by PlayStation to get us to distrust insiders. It was in May, but now they have deliberately moved out. So next when Grubb comes out and says, "Bloodborne 2 is happening for sure I've just shat myself in glee" no one will believe him.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda get what they're saying if they mean in terms of what's shown nowadays, we've had multiple State of Plays that were miles better than the previous supposed "Showcase".

I agree that some of the recent state of plays were way better than last years showcase, but thats why last years showcase was so disapointing.

It is supposed to be equatable to an E3 show, when what they showed might as well have been a state of play.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I would actually love if they gave like 12 hours notice. "We are uploading the showcase in 12 hours! Enjoy." That would be great.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Why is he acting so rude to people asking questions? Fuck him! Now I hope the showcase is not in May.
To be slightly fair, Grubb will mention hearing things here or there and will typically do a decent job at clarifying when he's just heard murmurs of stuff or has heard something far more concrete. However, Grubb has become one of those people in the industry who says something and literally any statement of his turns into a bigger deal than he meant for it to be because people make articles out of his one or two sentences, which leads to him getting bombarded 24/7 on social media (here included) until said thing happens. And, when it comes to a Playstation Showcase or any Playstation rumor at that matter, the hype tends to be sky high nearly immediately, so imagine how many times he's being asked that about this Showcase/SOP by people genuinely along with being asked it by trolls who are just trying to have a gotcha-moment if this doesn't ultimately happen.

Simdog497

Aug 26, 2022
No...

Showcases are longer, show more titles, offer more updates on first-party efforts particularly of the AAA variety and are E3 / PSX caliber replacements annually. WTF are you on?
I dunno the last SoP we got a very extended look at DS2 which is about as AAA as it gets outside of maybe GTA. And also an announcement of a PS6 game.

I wouldn't be against doing the Nintendo direct formula, rather than having all your big announcements in one show per year.

ravn0s

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe they really changed their strategy to a shorter window between announcement and event. Nintendo announces their Directs just a day in advance for example, and it works great for them. Maybe they copied that.

View: https://x.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1671155958448529408

View: https://x.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1569325388349800452

Sony already does that for State of Play. Their showcases are usually announced a week or two in advance.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing my luck it's going to be on Friday and have no RE9.