Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I've abandoned all hope, my people.

In the process, I've also gone hollow. Please loot my Soul of a Lost Undead, consume, and carry my will to the finish line.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Speaking of bilbill kun, God of War Ragnarok should get announced for PC next week since the claim was it would be announced in May 2024. And next week is the final week of May.

Their leaks on Playstation PC ports stuff has been 100% accurate. Playstation in general, as far as I'm aware has been iffy recent between getting wrong information on PS+ titles and a Concord trailer earlier in the year.

Anyways, the million dollar question is if this rumor is true; blog post or state of play? I can't see GOWR being announced for PC in a showcase if that's what's coming. State of play, that seems more likely. Blog post tho, I feel like that's what is going to happen.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Speaking of bilbill kun, God of War Ragnarok should get announced for PC next week since the claim was it would be announced in May 2024. And next week is the final week of May.

Their leaks on Playstation PC ports stuff has been 100% accurate. Playstation in general, as far as I'm aware has been iffy recent between getting wrong information on PS+ titles and a Concord trailer earlier in the year.

Anyways, the million dollar question is if this rumor is true; blog post or state of play? I can't see GOWR being announced for PC in a showcase if that's what's coming. State of play, that seems more likely. Blog post tho, I feel like that's what is going to happen.
they've been leaking less PS+ stuff I think because there was a change in the backend which is how they ended up with the information before, before Concord they were nailing most things, even got DS2 information correct shortly before

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
they've been leaking less PS+ stuff I think because there was a change in the backend which is how they ended up with the information before, before Concord they were nailing most things, even got DS2 information correct shortly before
Oh gotcha. I thought at least for PS+ stuff, they had a point of contact. Didn't realize they were datamining literally everything for their scoops.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

noooo-no.gif

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Main difference is first party games. For third party games, SoP have been arguably better these last few months.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Everyone of us sack of shits will be ashamed of our words.

EDIT:
I'm not talking about you, i'm talking about us sack of shits.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not.

The showcase is meant to be the equivalent of an E3 conference.

State of Plays are equivalent to standard non E3 Nintendo directs

I get that Showcases are generally longer and with more first party stuff, but honestly I found some of the State of Plays were about as good in terms of announcements, so my point was more that people don't immediately have to start dooming if it is a State of Play.

Some GAAS (Concord, Fairgame dollarsign) some smaller first party projects like Astro, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush 2 remake and fill it out with 3rd party like the Silent Hill 2 and MGS3 remakes, Resident Evil 9, FF7 DLC etc and they can still have a very solid show even without big new AAA first party stuff.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I get that Showcases are generally longer and with more first party stuff, but honestly I found some of the State of Plays were about as good in terms of announcements, so my point was more that people don't immediately have to start dooming if it is a State of Play.

Some GAAS (Concord, Fairgame dollarsign) some smaller first party projects like Astro, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush 2 remake and fill it out with 3rd party like the Silent Hill 2 and MGS3 remakes, Resident Evil 9, FF7 DLC etc and they can still have a very solid show even without big new AAA first party stuff.
Their last Showcase had about a State of Play's worth of actual stuff, so they'd be better off not setting unrealistic expectations if they don't have enough big new things to show. I agree with you that the State of Plays are also quite good, so I don't see this as some big issue. It also doesn't help that their big thing of the year (PS5 Pro) probably isn't going to be debuted here given that it's not on sale for a number of months.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The last State of Play had Stellar Blade deep dive and a new DS2 trailer. I would imagine a SoP next week would have first party presence, namely Astrobot

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
People wanna see PS Studios games and being a SoP will immediately write that off. It's that simple. Don't mean SoPs are trash (well, they are more often than not). Maybe Sony will start announcing their big games at SoPs but until then there's no reason to believe they will.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
People wanna see PS Studios games and being a SoP will immediately write that off. It's that simple. Don't mean SoPs are trash (well, they are more often than not). Maybe Sony will start announcing their big games at SoPs but until then there's no reason to believe they will.
What if they specifically mention in the announcement post that major first-party reveals are part of it.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
we have to keep in mind that the "Showcase" was under Jim Ryan. With him not there now, they may decide that a different format and rollout is better.

I thought that the week long wait between announcement and the actual showcase was so stupid, so if they at least cut that down to a Nintendo Direct style "day in advance" kinda thing, then I'm all for it.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Honestly, given that Sony have already come out and said they basically have no major first party titles releasing this financial year, and they're still the market leaders and can see how often announcing things super early tends to backfire for MS... I just don't know that I feel super positive about whatever presentation we get being a PS Showcase.

PS5 will keep selling regardless with the promise of the leaked/distant games we do know about. SoP makes more sense as something to tide gamers over and as contractual obligation to development partners.

Just my take on it though. I look forward to being thoroughly wrong when it ends up being a Showcase instead.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What if they specifically mention in the announcement post that major first-party reveals are part of it.

Dude, of course they can. But they haven't yet. They could announce the next ND in a blog post if they wanted to. Point is, until now their big games were only announced at Showcases and that's why people get excited for them.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly, given that Sony have already come out and said they basically have no major first party titles releasing this financial year, and they're still the market leaders and can see how often announcing things super early tends to backfire for MS... I just don't know that I feel super positive about whatever presentation we get being a PS Showcase.

PS5 will keep selling regardless with the promise of the leaked/distant games we do know about. SoP makes more sense as something to tide gamers over and as contractual obligation to development partners.

Just my take on it though. I look forward to being thoroughly wrong when it ends up being a Showcase instead.

But this means they can have smaller first party games release this fiscal year. They just won't have GOT2 or the next God of War come out before 2025z

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
To satisfy my own curiosity: Has anyone outright said it would be a Showcase? Or is that the expectation due to timing & historic trends?

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
But this means they can have smaller first party games release this fiscal year. They just won't have GOT2 or the next God of War come out before 2025

Yeah, I don't think they're gonna go the whole fiscal year without releasing ANYTHING but Showcases are saved for the big hitters and for a lot of huge announcements. Which is why I'm leaning SoP.

To satisfy my own curiosity: Has anyone outright said it would be a Showcase? Or is that the expectation due to timing & historic trends?

Quotes in the OP from Grubb say: "I have heard that there will be a PlayStation... something—either a State of Play or a Showcase—in May, so this is probably going to be there." and "Showcase is the way I lean."

Plus the tweet just posted above. Makes it seem more like an expectation thing based on previous standards.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I don't think they're gonna go the whole fiscal year without releasing ANYTHING but Showcases are saved for the big hitters and for a lot of huge announcements. Which is why I'm leaning SoP.

Quotes in the OP from Grubb say: "I have heard that there will be a PlayStation... something—either a State of Play or a Showcase—in May, so this is probably going to be there." and "Showcase is the way I lean."

Plus the tweet just posted above. Makes it seem more like an expectation thing based on previous standards.

No. Grubb only said he "leans" towards a Showcase rather than a State of Play. But he always said the only thing he actually knows that there is a PlayStation event in May.

I don't think anyone reliable has said so, just that we'll get something. And personally I'd say it's definitely more and more looking like it'll be a State of Play.

Thanks. Was mostly curious if anyone had ever said it would be a Showcase.

And I'm in agreement. It'll be a State of Play for this month. I only ever heard of third-party stuff and the Astro Bot/Concord info drops have me siding with a SoP.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Thanks. Was mostly curious if anyone had ever said it would be a Showcase.

And I'm in agreement. It'll be a State of Play for this month. I only ever heard of third-party stuff and the Astro Bot/Concord info drops have me siding with a SoP.
Revealing a first-party game (Astro Bot) at a State of Play would be odd though.