jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That thread title isn't what the report says. Anime elements. It even says right there it's going to look photo-realistic.

If it actually had some kind of insane over the top anime aesthetic I might be into it out of sheer curiosity lol.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Would be cool like in that NfS Wii game were the streets were covered with the grafitti as you drive.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that lines up kind of with the leaked footage of a NFS game from a year or so back. Looks like they were kind of testing that style. I think anime isn't the right word here, there's just cartoonish effects for smoke/trails etc.

Can't wait for the downgrade!
/s

I'm intrigued by that description, though.
Criterion + city reminds me of Burnout Paradise

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Meh, Chicago is boring considering all of the NFS games have completely empty open worlds, anyway. It would have been nice if it took place anywhere else, but it is what it is. Heat was solid but I'm still skeptical about this one.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
At this point, why the hell not? Just make a competent racing game with a mediocre story that is literally anything besides "here's a festival" and I'll be there. Maybe even day 1.

That's a big maybe, though.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that lines up kind of with the leaked footage of a NFS game from a year or so back. Looks like they were kind of testing that style. I think anime isn't the right word here, there's just cartoonish effects for smoke/trails etc.

Obviously not writting it off based on early leaked footage, but this is a bizarre direction to take IMO. No sir I don't like it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
All I've asked for was Road and Track's Need For Speed 1... and 2 type races... even if open world. Long beautiful point to point races.

If you can't toggle this anime shit off, then I'm out already.

Edit- this was such a tease.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please let it be cell shaded or like that Initial D Toyota video somebody posted. That would look sick.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I wonder if EA would even dare to make an anime inspired NFS. I remember from watching behind the scenes videos that as far back as Carbon that EA has flirted with Japan-inspired imagery (I know Carbon has Yumi, but in preproduction there was a full-on idol cosplayer character), but even in the height of BlackBox games didn't commit to it.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

OH!

I quite like that...

I hope this is more NFS meets Initial D more than NFS meets Wachoski Speed Racer.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda in the same boat. I felt like NFS 2015 is the only recent one that knocked it out of the park visually.

And to ellaborate on my post - I'm not against the cartoony imagery, but coupled with photorealism is pretty hard to nail. The final game may pull it off, but I'm skeptical - especially for the "mood" that playable space is going for (I think it would be easier to do with night and neon rather than bright colors and day light).

I'd be all for a modern take on the automobilista look though!
84e240d5-bbf3-4e11-a2de-504655600353.jpg

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta be honest, "anime" is exactly the kind of direction that NFS needs to go in. But this doesn't sound like it's going far enough. I'm talking full-on anime visuals, an over the top story with rivals and villains, panel cut outs of your opponents during races, crazy drifting, Burnout-style takedowns, etc. It would be a breath of fresh air. The NFS games have felt so incredibly soulless for so long. Going crazy with it would be a nice change of pace.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

This looks pretty neat, but I hope they go even further with it (and combine that with an arcade-y drift model)

Oct 27, 2017

If this is the style they end up going for, it's pretty bad. Need for Speed: Fortnite

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
This is not a bad thing. We need more over the top arcade racers. But man I get the feeling budget has been reduced.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Trust me as someone that just took a vacation to Chicago the last thing you're gonna have is a need for speed in the loop.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
All I've asked for was Road and Track's Need For Speed 1... and 2 type races... even if open world. Long beautiful point to point races.

If you can't toggle this anime shit off, then I'm out already.

Edit- this was such a tease.

Is this all "in-engine'' stuff cause it look's real to me and I cannot believe that's all in-engine... Look's better than anything else next-gen i've seen to date.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just let me start races without navigating through the open world like I can in Hot Pursuit. And make it another Burnout in disguise. I don't care too much how it looks. And oh, don't add any kind of "story". Seriously just cut that crap and put the resources elsewhere.