nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
those of you rolling your eyes at anime are the reason racing games have become so boring now.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It's directly inspired by those games. It's why all the rumors leading up to its announce were about it being Underground 3. What exactly do people want in an Underground game?
actual good car customization for one. its been downhill since carbon. nfs heat was a little better but it still felt really basic compared to ps2 nfs

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
even though ive already seen the first reveal stuff so i know it's realistic but my mind went to
Auto Modellista when i saw the word anime

which the world needs another Modellista but Capcom hates racing game fans

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I hope the handling is also improved, even heat's handing was just ok compared to black box era NFS games. Maybe a preference thing, but forza horizon's detuned sim handling feels amazing (with handling assists set to simulation.)

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Anime?
Cars?
Chicago?

Is this the return of Gunsmith Cats!!???

A156-1710842554.1521945114.jpg

This show was so good yall.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
You know what franchisee would work perfectly with these aesthetics?

Burnout =/

(man, this franchise didn't deserve to die for NFS).

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, actually. I'm willing to bet it'll fall inbetween Fortnite and League of Legends instead of straight up Anime, but regardless its nice to see a AAA studio branch out aesthetically.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that lines up kind of with the leaked footage of a NFS game from a year or so back. Looks like they were kind of testing that style. I think anime isn't the right word here, there's just cartoonish effects for smoke/trails etc.

Ngl, this looks more interesting than anything out of the NFS franchise for a long long time imo.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
actual good car customization for one. its been downhill since carbon. nfs heat was a little better but it still felt really basic compared to ps2 nfs

I don't think that's it. Car customization has been decent in recent games but the games from the last generation showed that "just make Underground again" isn't enough if the foundations of the game are so cracked. Always online, cringe story, wonky handling, boring cops and city. I liked 2015 because it gave me nostalgic Underground setting vibes but that's all it was. Payback was a mess and I'm surprised it didn't kill the series off.

When you compare recent NFS games to its competition in Forza, it's clear that the series has had an identity crisis for nearly a decade now. Ever since Ghost Games took over the IP, it's been a hot mess. NFS Heat was fine, but after 2 flops, it was just okay.

I'm hoping that Criterion turns things around. The IP needs an identity beyond just Autolog and Underground vibes.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Sounds horrible to me, but I appreciate that they're going out on a limb and trying something radically new aesthetically for the series.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for EA lowkey doing an Auto Modellista style look. Something like this cleaned up for 4K screens would look REAL cool.

maxresdefault.jpg

Feb 8, 2018
If you can toggle off cartoon elements it's the only way i'll stay interested. In Fighting games I get it I would even say looks good in racing games it is the opposite.

Last edited:

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Sure, why not?

Should keep break to drift as a toggle though. I don't think I can go back to it being mandatory after NFS Heat.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well, that lines up kind of with the leaked footage of a NFS game from a year or so back. Looks like they were kind of testing that style. I think anime isn't the right word here, there's just cartoonish effects for smoke/trails etc.

Thanks I hate it. This half in, half out way of doing it looks bad. Either fully commit or don't at all.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I opened this thread hoping for what is basically Need for Speed: Initial D, but that doesn't sound anime-y at all.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
sounds cool to me. Heat had a great foundation, was just held back by 30fps and kind of bland daytime segments. if the game was all set at night, and 60fps, it could have been a contendah.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
just remake Underground 1 instead and make it open world. the game was designed that way anyway

I am tired of every racing games need to be open world. Burnout Paradise is my least favourite in the series because it is not as good as 3 or revenge. Underground 1 is still the most fun I had with a NFS game ever.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda vibe with the test footage.

I feel like every new NFS entry I have initial interest and then it comes out and it immediately disappears.

Not much for arcade racers on PS5 so I hope this is good

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am tired of every racing games need to be open world. Burnout Paradise is my least favourite in the series because it is not as good as 3 or revenge. Underground 1 is still the most fun I had with a NFS game ever.
they can always do it like Hot Pursuit where the free roam is optional. but UG1 was definitely designed to be connected so a free roam option isn't the craziest idea

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Its clearly unfinished but its absolutely fine. Im digging it.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I hope the "anime" part of it is also about the main story.
What I really miss in Need For Speed is my main story quest like in Underground or Most Wanted.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017

Hm, not bad at all. Very simple and rough (understandable for an early demo) but it has potential. I could imagine a more polished version looking really good.

The wind trails in particular have a distinct look that I tend to see in anime, not western animation, which might be where the comparison comes from. I don't think anything else stands out as specifically anime though.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I would really like full anime.
Though not from EA or for NFS.

Having said that i understand they need to think of ways to differentiate themselves, but I don't think it's going to work or appeal to NFS target.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Well that actually looks interesting and new. I wonder how the final game and the effects look.
What happened to this

www.youtube.com

Need For Speed 2021 Short Preview (CRITERION GAMES)

Criterion's Need For Speed 2021EA revealed a first look for the next NEED FOR SPEED 2021 by Criterion Gamesâ–şLeave a like, a comment & Subscribe!â–şInstagram Fa...
Going by the alpha footage they'll go for realism like they've showed at E3 back in the day. But the effects will be done with a cartoon aesthetic.

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I remember when this series used to be the shit back in the day. The original Most Wanted cemented it as one of the most revered game series in the PS2's library.