• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching Vol. 2 and remember having the same feelings whilst watching the first.

Being a child of the 80's I grew up watching Star Wars, even made forts out of the lounge suite to pretend I had my own ship.

Star Wars was magical, the force was promised to be something extremely powerful and each movie built on the universe with crazy things like mysterious sand people, At-at battles, flying bike things in Ewok land, a giant creature living under Jabba the hutt, the teeth monster living in the dunes, even Luke's horse thing was unique.

It was a real adventure which got lost in the movies that come after, fun battles got switched out for politics and the universe building come to a halt as they mostly opted to re-use what already existed and not to mention the promise of the force fizzled as those who were said to be the best couldn't even beat Yamcha.

Guardians of the Galaxy feels more like OG Star Wars with great world/universe building, crazy battles, unique alien designs etc.

Anyone else feel this way? The great 80's music probably helps as well.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. Gotg is a boring space adventure that can't commit to anything dramatic. Relies too heavily on jokes.

Anna

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Certainly. GOTG1 has more heart than any Star Wars past TESB. I was a bit disappointed with the sequel, but it's still way more entertaining than TFA.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The last two SW movies is pretty much what I wanted SW to be. GotG is good in its own way but way more of a fun comedy romp than SW ever was.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Certainly. GOTG1 has more heart than any Star Wars past TESB. I was a bit disappointed with the sequel, but it's still way more entertaining than TFA.
GOTG2 has grown on me more and more with time, especially as I analyze my own rather dysfunctional family and the life that I've built with my friends. Not perfect, but I like it more now than when I first watched it.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"I wish this burger was more like that taco."

"Why don't you just eat a taco?"

"No!"

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Guardians of the Galaxy was a blast. A nice change of pace from all of the other Marvel movies, which blend together and generally become forgettable very quickly. Those movies -- especially the first -- stand out amongst the crowd because they were fun.

I don't know if I'd want Star Wars to ever go that far, but The Force Awakens wasn't all it could've been and doesn't stand out as much as I would've hoped.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No. Gotg is a boring space adventure that can't commit to anything dramatic. Relies too heavily on jokes.

I liked that it wouldn't let any moment get 'too serious', but the problem I DID have was not all the jokes even landing ("Taser Face" is funny but not that funny, and Drax became his own laugh track).

GotG is pretty and fun.

I wouldn't mind seeing Star Wars do something a little less... war-y at some point since the stakes feel about the same (going from the Death Star blowing up planets to an even bigger Star Destroyer doing the same wasn't terribly original/interesting)

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah, that "i gave your mother cancer" joke had me in stitches
Gotg undercuts the drama with jokes not because the characters relie on humor to cope with their personal struggles but because the movies don't want to commit to anything too serious. This undercutting lowers the quality no matter the subject.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Noooo thank you. I'm glad both TFA and TLJ exist as they currently are, and that both Guardians movies exist as they are.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Luke: Vader, dance off bro, you and me.

Vader:
source.gif

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Um no. Star Wars has its light-hearted moments, but its not Comedy. GotG is an action-adventure Comedy.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy was a blast. A nice change of pace from all of the other Marvel movies, which blend together and generally become forgettable very quickly. Those movies -- especially the first -- stand out amongst the crowd because they were fun.

I don't know if I'd want Star Wars to ever go that far, but The Force Awakens wasn't all it could've been and doesn't stand out as much as I would've hoped.

To me the issue was that Force Awakens felt too much of a rehash of A New Hope. It didn't feel like it stood on its own feet.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
Guardians was good, but it was just another movie to me. I didn't even care enough to watch the sequel.

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I like both, but I can't agree.

Star wars has never been irreverent space shenanigans they way Gotg is. Star Wars has inherently more gravitas, even if both do emotional moments well. We don't need both properties doing similar things. Guardians will lean on more crude humor, while Star Wars does what it does best: Unambiguous archetypal storytelling with humor and pathos. And I mean that as a positive. You don't have to do risk that and subversion this.

Both are very 'soft' Sci-fi, but Star Wars remains more grounded, and that's fine.

Oct 28, 2017
Watched Vol2 again this morning and enjoyed it even more the second time. I enjoyed it so much I might even watch it again tonight.

This one seemed to put more emphasis on character vs plot and I really dug that about it. I'm not sure the SW comparison is an apt one as this series is more of broad comedy than SW is but it certainly has more likeable and enjoyable characters than The Force Awakens does.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's very interesting... I think if ESB hadn't gone the way it did, the series could have skewed more "fun adventure".

But ESB did calibrate us to crave the ultradrama... and I confess I am too addicted to that flavor too. I don't want SW to be lighthearted. I guess I ultimately disagree with the premise of the OP, though I totally get the appeal. I think mainline SW entries will inevitably be dramatic, but the spinoffs could accommodate this.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed GOTG2 much more than any Star Wars film

The only part of the originals that feels like GOTG is the "situation normal" improv from Ford, and that sticks out like a sore thumb in that movie

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Thor Ragnarok had better balance, Guardians 2 got into the too much comedy territory for me.

As for Star Wars all the recent ones have been disappointing to passable at best.

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Come to think of it, Lord's and Miller's take on Solo might be been what you were looking for.

It's not happening now, but that combo could've been close.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree, OP. Now that the prequels have firmly shaped my view on all things Star Wars, I cannot imagine a good Star Wars movie that doesn't delve into intergalactic trade and tax policy. And horridly written romance scenes.
I hope The Last Jedi can deliver on all those fronts.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Both have something different to offer.

I like both Guardian movies but they lean more heavily on the comedic and cartoonish side than what I'd want from a Star Wars movie.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Force Awakens was one of the most massive disappointments I've ever seen out of a major blockbuster. Both Guardians movies on the other hand had a lot more of the heart and charm I got from watching A New Hope on DVD as a kid. OP tells no lies, James Gunn knows how to do space opera right.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. 2 was a disappointment as well. They're more fun than the bulk of the prequels and rogue one tho

7 and the entire old trilogy > guardians franchise
I'd rather re watch either guardians over episode 6 or 7 anytime. If I want, I'll just rewatch the throne stuff from jedi on yt...the rest of the movie just cheese.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cared more about Yondu dying in GoTG2 than Han Solo in TFA.
TFA is such a dull movie that would have been buried and forgotten by now if not for the Star Wars name. Same with Rogue One.
Even the Star Trek reboot was better and I don't even like ST.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
To me the issue was that Force Awakens felt too much of a rehash of A New Hope. It didn't feel like it stood on its own feet.

Yeah, I won't disagree with you there.

I think they played it too safe and didn't make the movie fresh or unique enough. I enjoyed it in theatres, but haven't felt like watching it again and, thinking back on it, don't think it's as good as I'd thought if that makes sense.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Han Solo, one of the most famous characters in film history, died on-screen after returning for the first time in 30 years and NO ONE gave a shit is the most damning strike against TFA.
A tree that can only say three words sacrificing himself was more emotional than han being killed.

OP
OP
BitByDeath

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are focusing too much on the comedy aspect which is not something I brought up in the OP.

Fun space adventures is what I want to see with outrageous creatures like in the OG trilogy, not politics.

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
The fact that Han Solo, one of the most famous characters in film history, died on-screen after returning for the first time in 30 years and NO ONE gave a shit is the most damning strike against TFA.

Hey now, I gave a shit. I'm important, you know.

Felt similar lumps when he got got and when Quill was told about the tumor from Ego.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can't even blame Harrison Ford either. He did as well as could be done with what he was given.
The film is just so empty of any kind of humanity.