• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
microsoft first party games tend to "borrow" from another. an easy one is forza horizon's weather in forza.

but they tend to follow some ideas as well. even if some of those ideas are lootboxes.

BASICALLY what im saying is im surprised no one was brought up (to my knowledge) gears 5's "open world" missions. We all kinda doubt open world entirely, and honestly a fully open world might not serve halos strengths. but giant ass missions with side objectives? that sounds more along the lines of what im guess well get.

and hey that sounds prettty cool

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
microsoft first party games tend to "borrow" from another. an easy one is forza horizon's weather in forza.

but they tend to follow some ideas as well. even if some of those ideas are lootboxes.

BASICALLY what im saying is im surprised no one was brought up (to my knowledge) gears 5's "open world" missions. We all kinda doubt open world entirely, and honestly a fully open world might not serve halos strengths. but giant ass missions with side objectives? that sounds more along the lines of what im guess well get.

and hey that sounds prettty cool

The thing is the open world missions in Gears 5 were barren and boring. Halo Infinite needs to be much, much, much more interesting than what Gears had and a lot bigger.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is the open world missions in Gears 5 were barren and boring. Halo Infinite needs to be much, much, much more interesting than what Gears had and a lot bigger.

oh i agree with that a 100%

maybe its more me hoping they run with the idea but make it more than "hey theres a dude there we should check it out"

Oct 26, 2017
Bungies halo isn't 343's. It's highly likely that the next game continues on their own footsteps than going back to what bungie did.

Well 343i's approach worked so well that they've had to reboot the franchise to get people interested again, why do you think Infinite is so emblematic of the original trilogy?

Also, people don't want a retread of Bungie's Halo, they want something fresh. 343 has exhausted the original forumula to the point of fatigue, and has substituted innovation for trend chasing with their previous two games. The fans want 343i to go back to the roots of Halo, but regrow it from there in bold, interesting and new directions while still staying true to what the franchise is and what makes it unique.

I wasn't able to check out the Mythic settings. How did that go over? Reading about it, I assumed it was play testing for some Infinite feedback

Really great feedback on here at least, it's the most fun I've had with 343i era Halo MP. Unfortunately, not many people are playing Halo 5 anymore so there was very limited exposure for the mode, but it was very fun and fresh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well 343i's approach worked so well that they've had to reboot the franchise to get people interested again, why do you think Infinite is so emblematic of the original trilogy?

Also, people don't want a retread of Bungie's Halo, they want something fresh. 343 has exhausted the original forumula to the point of fatigue, and has substituted innovation for trend chasing with their previous two games. The fans want 343i to go back to the roots of Halo, but regrow it from their in bold, interesting and new directions while still staying true to what the franchise is and what makes it unique.

As a fan since day one, I agree completely. I want them to find the core of what makes the series special, and make that idea the basis for a new direction.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I could see some engine talk and/or MP Flighting details, but I doubt we'll see anything Campaign related prior to E3. :/

What would you actually prefer to see?
They could repeat the Halo 4 GDC trailer for Infinite and I'd be fine.

A quick look at the tech jump from Halo 5 to Infinite, shots of campaign levels, "new" designs, and some short multiplayer footage with an announcement for flights starting soon.

I don't think we'll be waiting for E3 for the flight program. That is way too late and would just be a demo beta we'd be testing.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll be waiting for E3 for the flight program. That is way too late and would just be a demo beta we'd be testing.
That's a good point. They'd have to show some playable form of the game prior to flighting so hopefully a proper unveil is sooner than later.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I would be more than happy if Mythic settings were the base of Infinite's multiplayer.

Oct 25, 2017
"Your opinion doesn't matter, because I'm a hardcore Halo fan and you aren't."

That's how you sound like...

didn't mean to sound so polarized on that, apologies.

i don't think the core argument of my post should be missed though - MCC exists, for those that want "pure classic Halo" go play that?

if there's something I'm missing [ie - WHY such people won't simply go play MCC and enjoy what they're ostensibly asking for], I'd love to be educated!

/sincerely!

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
They could repeat the Halo 4 GDC trailer for Infinite and I'd be fine.

A quick look at the tech jump from Halo 5 to Infinite, shots of campaign levels, "new" designs, and some short multiplayer footage with an announcement for flights starting soon.

I honestly can't even remember what GDC showcased when it comes to Halo 4. I only remember the short ViDoc from which the infamous Halo 4 BR gif originated from. Sounds good to me, though, and I'd love seeing that at GDC.

Speaking of ViDoc's, though, Halo 5 received it's first "The Sprint" episode in February and I've already seen people speculating that this will be the case again. I have my doubts, because the situation is not the same. We actually played the Beta prior to that, something which we obviously haven't done for Infinite, yet.

Going to be very interesting when they will actually start Flighting and how the role of the Director of Player Voice will play into that.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I expect it to be soft-rebooted and completely change from whatever its vision was last time they showed us anything.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Also, people don't want a retread of Bungie's Halo, they want something fresh. 343 has exhausted the original forumula to the point of fatigue, and has substituted innovation for trend chasing with their previous two games. The fans want 343i to go back to the roots of Halo, but regrow it from their in bold, interesting and new directions while still staying true to what the franchise is and what makes it unique.

Yep

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, people don't want a retread of Bungie's Halo, they want something fresh. 343 has exhausted the original forumula to the point of fatigue, and has substituted innovation for trend chasing with their previous two games. The fans want 343i to go back to the roots of Halo, but regrow it from there in bold, interesting and new directions while still staying true to what the franchise is and what makes it unique.

Really great feedback on here at least, it's the most fun I've had with 343i era Halo MP. Unfortunately, not many people are playing Halo 5 anymore so there was very limited exposure for the mode, but it was very fun and fresh.
This is 100% on point.

343 started fucking with things people thought were too sacred to change and transformed Halo for the worse.

Halo 5 was actually a decent course correction from that. I think Mythic is the sweet spot.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly can't even remember what GDC showcased when it comes to Halo 4. I only remember the short ViDoc from which the infamous Halo 4 BR gif originated from. Sounds good to me, though, and I'd love seeing that at GDC.

Speaking of ViDoc's, though, Halo 5 received it's first "The Sprint" episode in February and I've already seen people speculating that this will be the case again. I have my doubts, because the situation is not the same. We actually played the Beta prior to that, something which we obviously haven't done for Infinite, yet.

Going to be very interesting when they will actually start Flighting and how the role of the Director of Player Voice will play into that.
It's where the BR gif came from

Ignore the Italian. First video I could find quickly.

Another documentary would be cool. There's the potential to release an episode, do a week of flighting on that topic, then a new episode comes out and the next flight relates to that episode.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just looked up their announcement of Mythic Arena and what it is and it sounds like the absolutely ideal launchpad and evolution of Halo. I haven't played Halo 5 but read the actual moment-to-moment shooting is quality. Pairing abilities back and making the game slightly faster, and making maps smaller whilst having power weapons on timers, seems awesome.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
I wish more people would keep that in mind.

The halo series is a really unique one these days because it gets judged on both single and multiplayer modes. How many other series do that? I'm not going to pretend the story in Halo 5 doens't feel like a spinoff instead of a sequel. 343 has made mistakes.

You know who else made mistakes with every Halo game? Bungie.

Halo ce literally cut pasted the second half of the game, and included the worst level in the series. The pistol was overpowered due to a programming error, and 2 guns of the only 8 that were present in the game were functionally useless in multiplayer. I know people who would rather melee with an empty pistol than switch to the ar or needler.

Halo 2 was blasted on release for the cut features (it was supposed to have sprint, grenade cooking and melee combos. There was a boss fight cut so late in development that it is referenced in the manual of the limited edition but not playable on disc), the missing final level, the arbiter sections and the changes to gameplay. Randall glass of the warthog jump fame wrote an essay about how Bungie ruined halo 2. Luke Smith wrote an article about how halo 2's multiplayer was busted.

Halo 3 had the most feature rich release of any shooter to date. but was lambasted for not being as pretty as gears or COD4. People said it played slow, looked no better than halo 2, brutes weren't as fun as elites and the equipment function didn't add much.

ODST is considered a darling of the franchise but people again bitched about the graphics, complained about it being a full priced expansion, about still fighting brutes, about the lack of matchmaking for firefight.

Reach got hit for weapon bloom. For armour abilities. For the jetpack. For armour lock. For not being call of duty enough. Gametrialers literally complained that it took too long to kill other players.

And when they left Halo, they made Destiny, which created an entire genre of games where launching in a barely complete state is like a rule or something.

Halo 4 had the unfortunate timing to be developed while people were screaming that halo needed to be more like call of duty, and to release right AFTER people got tired of it. The multiplayer was far from bad. Weapon unlocks in progression is heresy in halo (and I agree. It is never NOT a shitty design choice) but it wasn't a total deal breaker, and infinity slayer was an awesome mode. It still manages the best story of the games, and is still one of the prettiest games ever made

And special attention needs to be paid for halo 4's development. 343 wanted it to be the Xbox one launch title, which would have gven them an extra year to work on it, given the xbox one a killer app at launch. 343 were so constrained by the 360 hardware at that point that they were limited in the number of objects the system could hold in memory. So certain large bits of geometry (like the Mammoth vehicle) were literally kitbashed from upsized warthog and battle rifle parts with their size value shifted, because the 360 literally could not hold one more unique asset in memory at the time. They were denied their request....by Don Mattrick, who valued the extra sales they would get by releasing it on 360. They still got it made on time, made one of the best looking games of the generation, tried new things like spartan ops.

With Halo 5 they were working with a then 15 year old engine and desperately wanted the time to make a new one from scratch. They didn not. And of course that was the game that launched during the middle of resolution gate so they NEEDED to find a way to get an OK xbox one to run a game at 1080p/60. It should be noted that Naughty Dog, when working on uncharted 4, on more powerful hardware, could not manage 1080/60. And people bitched because of the lack of couch co op which only a handful of games released this generation even have. It still managed the best multiplayer in the series since the second one (which if you recall, was not nearly as popular as people remember) and to be like the only game to include loot boxes in a non exploitive way. Oh and free map packs and expansions for over a year at a time when nobody was doing that.

343 are some technical fucking wizards. They have been given one of the hardest game series to develop for, one with a very divided fanbase and incredibly high standards that most other games don't have to meet (look at red dead and last of us deciding to forgo multiplayer with zero consequence. Hell, RDR2 online launched as a broken mess and the game still swept the GOTY awards. halo could never get away with that even if both multiplayer and single player were stellar.) and both times have had to do so while dealing with crazy technical restrictions.
Great post. I expect Halo Infinite to be amazing, not perfect and will miss something that fan A or B loves about Halo, and for that and the reasons of high standards as your post suggests, it will not have 90+ meta and will be seen as another failed 343 attempt at Halo.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Here is my prediction on what will happen on Halo Infinite:

The humanity it's on the brink of exaction once again, the game will start just like the Halo Combat Evolved intro with the UNSC Infinity getting out of slipspace with Lasky asking Roland "Roland all I need to know is did we lose here?" and Roland saying "I think we both know the answer to that"

Humanity is on the run of the forces of Cortana they are using every last piece of technology to fight back this explains why the Chief has an old assault rifle
and it's a perfect example of returning to the classic Halo style (just like Halo Wars 2)

The ring that we see at the legendary ending of Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 it's the same it's installation 07 Zeta Halo a very important ring part of the original Halo array and key to Flood investigation by the Forerunners, the game will take place here with massive environments (not full open world but something similar to Halo Combat Evolved)

The Master Chief will get a new version of Cortana this will be a combination of a new model an a old version stored by her in the past to exactly cover this situation (it's the one we see and hear on the E3 2019 trailer)

The game will be about re discovering the hope on the heroes, on the Master Chief on believing that even if we are so close so annihilation we can stand together to fight and survive

The Flood will return near the end of the game but will be kept as a secret just like Halo CE

Multiplayer wise the game will be divided on 2 sections

1 Arena classic Halo style gameplay for the competitive and original fans
4vs4 symmetrical maps with even BR starts no armor habilites just thrust (exactly like Halo 5 Mythic settings)

2 Warzone meets Battlefield

Huge maps for 32vs32 crazy battles with the evolution of Warzone 2.0 with tons of AI players vehicles etc

halo-infinite-generacionxbox.jpg

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched E3 2019 trailer. Still get chills at the part where the guy goes "We need to run!" MC looks at him "No, we need to fight", with the tribal drum beats on the back, holy shit if that isn't classic Halo I don't know what is. And the music is sublime, feels like an updated and extended rendition of the classic tracks.

5 months left until we get a blow out I imagine.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just watched E3 2019 trailer. Still get chills at the part where the guy goes "We need to run!" MC looks at him "No, we need to fight", with the tribal drum beats on the back, holy shit if that isn't classic Halo I don't know what is. And the music is sublime, feels like an updated and extended rendition of the classic tracks.

I think we will get some Halo news at an unveil event or prior.

Oct 26, 2017
Well if we're throwing out plot theories I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I think it's essential to recognize what little direction we know 343i is taking with Halo Infinite, that primarily being creating the game as a "spiritual reboot" of the franchise, as well as it being an accessible to all players new and old. To me, this is 343i beating around the bush that this is a full on soft-reboot, comparable to what The Force Awakens was to the Star Wars franchise. So unless, the art, music, and marketing direction to the game is all gloss for something entirely different than what they seem to be signaling, I'd assume they are throwing as much out the window from Halo 4 and Halo 5 as possible in an attempt to make a entirely new chapter to the Halo franchise, and what I think will ultimately be the true first game in their Reclaimer Saga. With that being said, and considering the amount of speculation that would properly conclude a second trilogy - despite this not being the case, we should outline what about 343i's installments are likely able to make it into Infinite, as well as what is likely to be cut.

From what we already know, the key elements of what makes a mainline Halo game a mainline Halo game seem to already have been revealed, those being the Master Chief, Cortana, an actual Halo Ring, and the UNSC involved in some galactic conflict, presumably with The Created or some other evolution of an AI conglomerate. Notably, the Covenant have not been outright confirmed yet, however I think it is safe to say they will be involved at some capacity considering their importance to the gameplay sandbox of Halo. The same could be said about the Prometheans, but seeing how they have been met with mixed to negative reception from the fanbase, they are subject to being significantly changed, reduced, or completely written out and possibly replaced by a general Forerunner Sentinel enemy faction.

Beyond this is pure speculation, but I believe 343i will significantly be cutting down on the unessential characters, stories, and plot elements introduced in Halo 5 to make way for a totally new adventure. This would naturally mean benching Fireteam Osiris, Blue Team, the Warden Eternal, the Arbiter and the Swords of Sanghelios. The Guardians, seeing how they are instantly overpowered and virtually unstoppable, will most likely be retired to the background and only mentioned outside of the limited setting of a story based around a Halo Ring. Maybe a Guardian was called into the battle the UNSC is said to have lost in the beginning of the Discover Hope trailer, incapacitating the UNSC's fleet and destroying a fragment of the Halo Ring as collateral damage from either the Guardian's destruction or an attempt at destroying the Guardian itself, however I think this will only be hinted at through exposition or visual storytelling if that is the case. Otherwise, the set up is going to be incredibly reminiscent of Halo: Combat Evolved (as confirmed by Frankie) and we will be entering the aftermath of this fresh conflict with only a limited selection of iconic or fundamental characters, such as those aboard the UNSC Infinity like Lasky and Roland (...and Palmer, I guess).

For more general speculation based on the trailers and other information provided by the game's marketing, I think that game will start out small and build up to become something much larger. It's confirmed that the cutscene from Discovered Hope will be one of the first things you see in the game, so it's safe to say that's the starting point outside of the possibility of an opening text crawl like in ODST. From here, story will most likely be pretty light and mostly follow Chief and the Pilot's journey to get home, which will eventually evolve into a much bigger adventure (as they always do). I don't think it's a coincidence that the first character you encounter is a pilot with access to a somewhat functioning Pelican, and like Foehammer from Combat Evolved he will be your ticket to traveling around the Halo Ring. However, I think his involvement will be much more directly tied to the traversal of level design, him being incredibly comparable to Morpho/Pequot from Metal Gear Solid V or Cere and Greez from Jedi: Fallen Order, acting as your method of transportation between different regions/levels of the Halo Ring. 343i has indicated that they want Infinite to be more expansive, which opens up the possibility of a more open world design.

Back to the game's progression, it seems after encountering the enemy - who are most likely the Covenant under the command of The Created who have either formed an alliance or view the AI as some extension of their Forerunner inspired religion, serving them as they once did the Prophets - the Chief and the pilot will return to the surface of the Halo Ring, where UNSC survivors of the battle have taken refuge and are continuing the fight on the ground outside of a potential Guardian's reach. If a Guardian did in fact cause their loss, many ships are likely to have crashed on the surface of the ring, but nonetheless there will be many survivors and familiar characters to reconnect with. Now the final piece of the information we were given, and potentially the most significant, is the Chief's encounter with the "Blue Light." Cortana notably narrates this section of the Discover Hope trailer, but it is also possible - backed up by audio files extracted from the same trailer - that a piece of Cortana has been preserved in this Halo Ring, and reconnects with the Chief early on in the game (there's no way this is a late game spoiler). Information she could have obtained from somehow living within the construct could further advance the plot, as well as add to your "crew" and expand location for you to explore on the Ring.

The rest of the story is entirely up in the air, but I think this will ultimately be the foundation of the game's plot: After a devastating loss at the Battle of Zeta Halo, the Chief and the Pilot attempt to reunite the scattered UNSC forces of the Halo Ring and either get back in the fight or get home. Along the way, while exploring the new Halo Ring, he encounters a fragment of Cortana, reconnecting and recruiting her to help aid their fight against the Covenant and the Created. Herein lies what I think may be another larger plot point, which could be collecting more fragments of Cortana, effectively making the game about rebuilding the beloved character. The Created may evolve past their initial purpose in Halo 5, and the Flood could even return and corrupt them, turning their quest to bring order to the galaxy through the Mantle of Responsibility (Forerunner imperialist doctrine) and the Guardians into one that will protect the spread of the parasite with no contest. Like I said, it's anyones best guess, but I do think they will be getting away from the previous two games story wise and start off a new chapter will a very simple but effective first step.

Edit: I forgot to mention that The Banished faction from Halo Wars 2 may eventually play a role and help reintroduce the Brutes as an enemy, however I think they exist as their own separate entity and would further complicate a rather clean and simple reboot since they may not side with Cortana or follow the old religion of the Covenant.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the sprint discussion, 343 has already said they are designing the game with both pc and Xbox gameplay in mind. As someone who massively prefers halo 1-3 gameplay, floaty, slow movement like halo1-3 just does not work well on pc. Obviously that's just my opinion but the slow movement in combination with high precision mouse aiming isn't super fun.

Isn't that basically Counter-Strike though?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It's where the BR gif came from

Ignore the Italian. First video I could find quickly.

Another documentary would be cool. There's the potential to release an episode, do a week of flighting on that topic, then a new episode comes out and the next flight relates to that episode.

Then forget what I've said in the previous post about not remembering, because I do. I just didn't know that the ViDoc was actually part of GDC.

Is a multiplayer beta confirmed?

Yes.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
just checking in here and wow i gotta say it's kind of impressive that this is still literally all we know. probably never been more people working on a single halo game and yet not a single peep.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
just checking in here and wow i gotta say it's kind of impressive that this is still literally all we know. probably never been more people working on a single halo game and yet not a single peep.

Tell me about it. All we have had to go on is an engine trailer and a cutscene. Fortunately 343 has to start divulging information pretty soon as the game releases this year, so we will start to find exactly what they have been doing for the best part of four years.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Tell me about it. All we have had to go on is an engine trailer and a cutscene. Fortunately 343 has to start divulging information pretty soon as the game releases this year, so we will start to find exactly what they have been doing for the best part of four years.
hell yeah I want it alllllllll

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it just perspective or do Halo characters have giant spider hands?

You know the way they hold weapons and wrap their fingers around, it never doesn't look weird and I've noticed it since Halo 2.

h2_mp_backwashaction.jpg

th

1361286156-halo-4-majestic-map-pack-landfall-06.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-E3-Demo-Screenshot-18.jpg

Am I just imagining it?

Not a great addition to the thread I know, lol but if you can't make the warthog winch work 343, fix the hands 😜 plus making the game the best ever.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

You know the way they hold weapons and wrap their fingers around, it never doesn't look weird and I've noticed it since Halo 2.

h2_mp_backwashaction.jpg

th

Am I just imagining it?

Not a great addition to the thread I know, lol but if you can't make the warthog winch work 343, fix the hands 😜 plus making the game the best ever.
Finger stretching is an important step in the Spartan creation progress. You don't want civvies to be able to reach the trigger if they get ahold of a BR.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

h2_mp_backwashaction.jpg

th

Am I just imagining it?

serious answer, i think big hands is just part of being a big person.

Spartans are tall folk, and unnaturally so. it makes sense that certain body parts might not fit with our elf-like proportions.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well if we're throwing out plot theories I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I think it's essential to recognize what little direction we know 343i is taking with Halo Infinite, that primarily being creating the game as a "spiritual reboot" of the franchise, as well as it being an accessible to all players new and old. To me, this is 343i beating around the bush that this is a full on soft-reboot, comparable to what The Force Awakens was to the Star Wars franchise. So unless, the art, music, and marketing direction to the game is all gloss for something entirely different than what they seem to be signaling, I'd assume they are throwing as much out the window from Halo 4 and Halo 5 as possible in an attempt to make a entirely new chapter to the Halo franchise, and what I think will ultimately be the true first game in their Reclaimer Saga. With that being said, and considering the amount of speculation that would properly conclude a second trilogy - despite this not being the case, we should outline what about 343i's installments are likely able to make it into Infinite, as well as what is likely to be cut.

From what we already know, the key elements of what makes a mainline Halo game a mainline Halo game seem to already have been revealed, those being the Master Chief, Cortana, an actual Halo Ring, and the UNSC involved in some galactic conflict, presumably with The Created or some other evolution of an AI conglomerate. Notably, the Covenant have not been outright confirmed yet, however I think it is safe to say they will be involved at some capacity considering their importance to the gameplay sandbox of Halo. The same could be said about the Prometheans, but seeing how they have been met with mixed to negative reception from the fanbase, they are subject to being significantly changed, reduced, or completely written out and possibly replaced by a general Forerunner Sentinel enemy faction.

Beyond this is pure speculation, but I believe 343i will significantly be cutting down on the unessential characters, stories, and plot elements introduced in Halo 5 to make way for a totally new adventure. This would naturally mean benching Fireteam Osiris, Blue Team, the Warden Eternal, the Arbiter and the Swords of Sanghelios. The Guardians, seeing how they are instantly overpowered and virtually unstoppable, will most likely be retired to the background and only mentioned outside of the limited setting of a story based around a Halo Ring. Maybe a Guardian was called into the battle the UNSC is said to have lost in the beginning of the Discover Hope trailer, incapacitating the UNSC's fleet and destroying a fragment of the Halo Ring as collateral damage from either the Guardian's destruction or an attempt at destroying the Guardian itself, however I think this will only be hinted at through exposition or visual storytelling if that is the case. Otherwise, the set up is going to be incredibly reminiscent of Halo: Combat Evolved (as confirmed by Frankie) and we will be entering the aftermath of this fresh conflict with only a limited selection of iconic or fundamental characters, such as those aboard the UNSC Infinity like Lasky and Roland (...and Palmer, I guess).

For more general speculation based on the trailers and other information provided by the game's marketing, I think that game will start out small and build up to become something much larger. It's confirmed that the cutscene from Discovered Hope will be one of the first things you see in the game, so it's safe to say that's the starting point outside of the possibility of an opening text crawl like in ODST. From here, story will most likely be pretty light and mostly follow Chief and the Pilot's journey to get home, which will eventually evolve into a much bigger adventure (as they always do). I don't think it's a coincidence that the first character you encounter is a pilot with access to a somewhat functioning Pelican, and like Foehammer from Combat Evolved he will be your ticket to traveling around the Halo Ring. However, I think his involvement will be much more directly tied to the traversal of level design, him being incredibly comparable to Morpho/Pequot from Metal Gear Solid V or Cere and Greez from Jedi: Fallen Order, acting as your method of transportation between different regions/levels of the Halo Ring. 343i has indicated that they want Infinite to be more expansive, which opens up the possibility of a more open world design.

Back to the game's progression, it seems after encountering the enemy - who are most likely the Covenant under the command of The Created who have either formed an alliance or view the AI as some extension of their Forerunner inspired religion, serving them as they once did the Prophets - the Chief and the pilot will return to the surface of the Halo Ring, where UNSC survivors of the battle have taken refuge and are continuing the fight on the ground outside of a potential Guardian's reach. If a Guardian did in fact cause their loss, many ships are likely to have crashed on the surface of the ring, but nonetheless there will be many survivors and familiar characters to reconnect with. Now the final piece of the information we were given, and potentially the most significant, is the Chief's encounter with the "Blue Light." Cortana notably narrates this section of the Discover Hope trailer, but it is also possible - backed up by audio files extracted from the same trailer - that a piece of Cortana has been preserved in this Halo Ring, and reconnects with the Chief early on in the game (there's no way this is a late game spoiler). Information she could have obtained from somehow living within the construct could further advance the plot, as well as add to your "crew" and expand location for you to explore on the Ring.

The rest of the story is entirely up in the air, but I think this will ultimately be the foundation of the game's plot: After a devastating loss at the Battle of Zeta Halo, the Chief and the Pilot attempt to reunite the scattered UNSC forces of the Halo Ring and either get back in the fight or get home. Along the way, while exploring the new Halo Ring, he encounters a fragment of Cortana, reconnecting and recruiting her to help aid their fight against the Covenant and the Created. Herein lies what I think may be another larger plot point, which could be collecting more fragments of Cortana, effectively making the game about rebuilding the beloved character. The Created may evolve past their initial purpose in Halo 5, and the Flood could even return and corrupt them, turning their quest to bring order to the galaxy through the Mantle of Responsibility (Forerunner imperialist doctrine) and the Guardians into one that will protect the spread of the parasite with no contest. Like I said, it's anyones best guess, but I do think they will be getting away from the previous two games story wise and start off a new chapter will a very simple but effective first step.

Edit: I forgot to mention that The Banished faction from Halo Wars 2 may eventually play a role and help reintroduce the Brutes as an enemy, however I think they exist as their own separate entity and would further complicate a rather clean and simple reboot since they may not side with Cortana or follow the old religion of the Covenant.

I like everything in here. I hope you can "call in" the pelican to take you to sections of the ring, with a powerful SSD there wouldn't even be loading times.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Just did the same, it's a damn good trailer and as a tone piece...they're hitting all the right marks. The wait has been brutal.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
If we're on a Halo, it can be open world and linear at the same time. *mindblown*

They're saving the Earth open world for Halo Infinite squared for XSX and PC only. No more jaguar.

Status
Not open for further replies.