• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I still say E3 will be

-Halo MCC on PC, w/ additional content to justify showing it again at E3 (Reach, Firefight or etc are all possibilities)
-New Halo spin off announced
-Halo 6 short teaser

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I'm really not ready. I'm excited, but at the same time afraid of getting overhyped - then let down. Emotions are all over the place.

On another note, I've had two of my most memorable and enjoyable matches on the two HCS Forge maps.

yeah my emotions are also all over the place. While i did enjoy h5 and put A LOT of hours into it, it did not capture that feeling i once had when i played h2. Hoping they can get a little bit of that spark/life with h6 and bring new life into the series i love the most.

I remember the guy who was responsible for the vidocs was a regular on the other site OT, did he ever make it this way? i dont remember his name unfortunately. It was nice chatting with him there and learning things about their process and etc.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
yeah my emotions are also all over the place. While i did enjoy h5 and put A LOT of hours into it, it did not capture that feeling i once had when i played h2. Hoping they can get a little bit of that spark/life with h6 and bring new life into the series i love the most.

I remember the guy who was responsible for the vidocs was a regular on the other site OT, did he ever make it this way? i dont remember his name unfortunately. It was nice chatting with him there and learning things about their process and etc.

That's how I am. I put in a ton of hours... I think I'm SR 146 or something. I like the game enough in its own right, but it isn't close to what I want from a Halo game. If H6 is H5 2.0 I don't think it could keep my interest.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
That's how I am. I put in a ton of hours... I think I'm SR 146 or something. I like the game enough in its own right, but it isn't close to what I want from a Halo game. If H6 is H5 2.0 I don't think it could keep my interest.
i agree. But i will give it that the unlocks did make me stay and play longer. i really enjoyed 4v4 arena the most. that was pretty close to how i felt in h2 days.

i will give them props for all of the post-launch support on all of those weekly updates, streams, and etc. i thank 343i for being involved with us like that. i took it for granted back then and i look back and hope they continue to be involved with their community moving forward.

when is Stinkles coming back to bless us with a new mister chief artwork so i can secretly use that as my new avi :P

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Idk. Phil Spencer specifically said no Halo or Gears for LAST years show. Then we were told we'd see Halo, "but not that one."

I think it's all but confirmed we're going to get something. I'm pumped!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I'd roll my eyes like I did then...
giphy.gif

like this right? :P

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Tweet at Joshua Menke and he'll probably explain what's going on.

Lots of people have had similar issues and assumed it was broken when it was working as intended.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tweeted him.

I'll report back if I get an answer. Regardless, we are stuck in Diamond 3 for 58 wins in a row and we are still playing people in placement matches. Seems wrong.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
i agree. But i will give it that the unlocks did make me stay and play longer. i really enjoyed 4v4 arena the most. that was pretty close to how i felt in h2 days.

i will give them props for all of the post-launch support on all of those weekly updates, streams, and etc. i thank 343i for being involved with us like that. i took it for granted back then and i look back and hope they continue to be involved with their community moving forward.

when is Stinkles coming back to bless us with a new mister chief artwork so i can secretly use that as my new avi :P

Yeah I wonder what effect the unlocks had on my playtime. On the one hand I did have the drive to unlock everything- something I never cared about in any other game. But on the other hand, I forced myself through a lot of hours of gameplay I wasn't actually enjoying in pursuit of these items.

Where'd you get this footage of me?

Last edited:

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
jem and those interested. He tweeted back at me and said that due to people quitting and going AFK (cuz they were getting smacked mind you or couldn't find us) we get penalized in our reward. Essentially, this new system IMO is far too aggressive in trying to determine conditions and context instead of rewarding wins. It's trying too hard to be smart in reading the context and is too punishing for those interpretations.

58 wins in a row is just stupid insane no matter if someone goes AFK cuz they got booty smacked. This system is literally causing us to spin our tires in the mud until it "learns" or determines we deserve more of a reward.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
jem and those interested. He tweeted back at me and said that due to people quitting and going AFK (cuz they were getting smacked mind you or couldn't find us) we get penalized in our reward. Essentially, this new system IMO is far too aggressive in trying to determine conditions and context instead of rewarding wins. It's trying too hard to be smart in reading the context and is too punishing for those interpretations.

58 wins in a row is just stupid insane no matter if someone goes AFK cuz they got booty smacked. This system is literally causing us to spin our tires in the mud until it "learns" or determines we deserve more of a reward.

I think the problem is our conditioning to see ranking as a "reward for wins" rather than an visual representation of our skill levels.

This is another reason why I think we need to go back to XP and Ladders for playlist progression and limit the number of playlists that actually display a "Competitive Skill Rank" to just those that are actually meant to be 'competitive'.

Playlist XP and ladders reward players for wins without having all the background mumbo jumbo complicating the presentation.

It could coexist with CSR being a visual representation of a players skill in playlists designed for actual competitive play.

To Menke's point, it makes sense to minimize games where people quit when calculating CSR because the data is corrupted. If they had playlist XP, you'd still get rewarded with a win even if the system wasn't confident you were ready for tougher opponents.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Just landed in LA! Can't wait for Fanfest/E3/Halo :D
have fun!

still remember, years back at the halo 2 e3 reveal attending this event - only for it to be running behind schedule and jaime griesemer coming out to berate people for getting a little unruly. oh, and then missing basically the entire thing because a friend i attended e3 with but couldnt attend the fanfest was all impatient and shit. still havent forgiven him! (should have made him continue to wait at the curb)

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I think the problem is our conditioning to see ranking as a "reward for wins" rather than an visual representation of our skill levels.

This is another reason why I think we need to go back to XP and Ladders for playlist progression and limit the number of playlists that actually display a "Competitive Skill Rank" to just those that are actually meant to be 'competitive'.

Playlist XP and ladders reward players for wins without having all the background mumbo jumbo complicating the presentation.

It could coexist with CSR being a visual representation of a players skill in playlists designed for actual competitive play.

To Menke's point, it makes sense to minimize games where people quit when calculating CSR because the data is corrupted. If they had playlist XP, you'd still get rewarded with a win even if the system wasn't confident you were ready for tougher opponents.

I just think that's all over thinking things.

If I win, I deserve it. If I lose, I either get better or continue to lose and lose my rank.

Simple and elegant and reinforces competitive play in simple understandable and clearly telegraphed means.

I don't like some algorithm trying to determine if my win was significant or earned enough. A win is a win, regardless of how others behaved during the match.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I just think that's all over thinking things.

If I win, I deserve it. If I lose, I either get better or continue to lose and lose my rank.

Simple and elegant and reinforces competitive play in simple understandable and clearly telegraphed means.

It's not really overthinking- Your describing exactly how XP ladders work (like Halo2) That's perfectly fine for presenting progression- Which why I think they should go back to it. But doesn't work as well for players who actually want to know how good they are- which is important for competitive playlists

I don't like some algorithm trying to determine if my win was significant or earned enough. A win is a win, regardless of how others behaved during the match.

I agree that works for the most part. But in a competive playlist people want to also know about the quality of their wins. Which is why it makes sense to have a better algorithm as well. This is why you see most esports use games use something similar to CSR for their competitive playlist.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Guess there aren't many people in the UK trying to play the MCC test flight. 3am so its kind of understandable.

I've been staring at the matchmaking screen for 5 minutes. Very nostalgic, it reminds me of when the MCC first launched.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Bets on sprint being in whatever the next halo game is? I'm sure we'll find out Sunday.

I think it's certain.

Oct 26, 2017
Bets on sprint being in whatever the next halo game is? I'm sure we'll find out Sunday.

I think it's certain.

Oh, no doubt. They are committed to the mechanic and the interest of the masses. If 343i realizes that going after the masses is no longer a viable strategy for the long term performance of Halo and is influenced by the success of DOOM, then maybe there's a chance, but I would not bet on it. Otherwise I'm sure they have no problem keeping in Sprint when the game can still be fun and they can pull the sales numbers that 4 and 5 achieved.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I would love if Halo 6 retained thruster and groundpound and abandoned all other SAs. Add in a faster base movement speed with your gun always up and it would play like a dream.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Hard to gauge. I mean there have been some very vocal complains about sprint, yet 343 have really stuck to their guns. It's a toss up.
They've backed off from armor abilities and loadouts. I don't think it's an impossibility.
I would love if Halo 6 retained thruster and groundpound and abandoned all other SAs. Add in a faster base movement speed with your gun always up and it would play like a dream.
I'd be fine with slide if we could actually shoot while doing it.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just faced off against Ske7ch on Halo MCC Insider... demolished him as expected, lol.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, no doubt. They are committed to the mechanic and the interest of the masses. If 343i realizes that going after the masses is no longer a viable strategy for the long term performance of Halo and is influenced by the success of DOOM, then maybe there's a chance, but I would not bet on it. Otherwise I'm sure they have no problem keeping in Sprint when the game can still be fun and they can pull the sales numbers that 4 and 5 achieved.
I would not mind them keep sprint, or whatever other mechanic, IF the reason for the inclusion of that mechanic came from the right place and everything feels like a well thought out and fun package as a result. In the Spartan Abilities GDC talk, the designer said that they included sprint because in 2015, people expect to have it. I am sure that there are a host of other reasons as well. But therein lies the problem.

You brought up Doom, which is a prime example of a game designed from the ground up to be fun and cohesive. Watch the Noclip documentary for Doom, or the Quakecon talks by the team. Doom included whatever mechanic was good for the game, no matter if its "oldschool" or "modern". In contrast, i don´t get the feeling that 343 went for that approach. Not in Halo 4 or 5.

That´s whats bothering me about this. It feels like the look at other games to see what can work. Everyone does that of course, and that´s okay.
But then again, they thought that including loadouts in Halo 4 was fine, then they moved away from it again. Now, groundpound and spartan charge are being reevaluated. I don´t have the feeling that someone behind the scenes has a cohesive idea, but rather a bunch of people are going with the flow of whatever seems to be okay at the time.
Halo should be more than a leaf in the stream.

Clamber is the best addition H5 made to Halo.
No attack, offense or anything of the sort: why? I am not outright against it or anything like that, i am interested in why you like it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
No attack, offense or anything of the sort: why? I am not outright against it or anything like that, i am interested in why you like it.

I'll chime in on why I like it: I think it causes players to think (and play) more vertically, and has enabled 343i to design maps with this in mind. Halo 5 didn't have the best map design, but what some of its maps did have was this wonderful almost gymnasium like quality. Almost every right-angle and edge represented something you could scale. It may not even be a real change - arguably you could facilitate the exact same thing with crouch-jump - but the clamber provided placebo of greater verticality, and made Halo MP feel far less lateral. If you saw an edge, you knew intuitively that it was developed to be scaled.

Nov 14, 2017
I'll chime in on why I like it: I think it causes players to think (and play) more vertically, and has enabled 343i to design maps with this in mind. Halo 5 didn't have the best map design, but what some of its maps did have was this wonderful almost gymnasium like quality. Almost every right-angle and edge represented something you could scale. It may not even be a real change - arguably you could facilitate the exact same thing with crouch-jump - but the clamber provided placebo of greater verticality, and made Halo MP feel far less lateral. If you saw an edge, you knew intuitively that it was developed to be scaled.
I think with the right design clamber easily coexists with crouch jumping, making vertical/jump play accessible without eliminating skill gaps entirely. Jumps that absolutely require clamber should be rarer than those that can be done with crouching/precise timing, so there's a stronger incentive to want to maintain the vision and offensive options that clamber takes away. At the same time clamber gives you the option to choose a different penalty for a failed jump; either go ahead and fall or opt to be a defenseless target for a brief period in exchange for getting where you wanted to go.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I think with the right design clamber easily coexists with crouch jumping, making vertical/jump play accessible without eliminating skill gaps entirely. Jumps that absolutely require clamber should be rarer than those that can be done with crouching/precise timing, so there's a stronger incentive to want to maintain the vision and offensive options that clamber takes away. At the same time clamber gives you the option to choose a different penalty for a failed jump; either go ahead and fall or opt to be a defenseless target for a brief period in exchange for getting where you wanted to go.

Yep, my thoughts as well. Ideally then clamber would only see use among casual and low-level play, whilst high-level play would be pervaded by crouch-jumping.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to gauge. I mean there have been some very vocal complains about sprint, yet 343 have really stuck to their guns. It's a toss up.

apparently sprint was the second most contentious mechanic behind de-scope. so there's a fair amount of people at 343 don't want it. the deciding factor was a belief that FPS gamers expect sprint in their games and would feel alienated without it.

I think that sentiment is demonstrably false considering CS:GO and Overwatch are two of the most popular FPS on the planet, and DOOM a franchise with singular DNA to Halo, did just fine without it. hopefully 343 no longer feel a need to base gameplay decisons on such unfounded external factors, and instead focusing purely on what's best for Halo's sandbox.

my gut tells me, though, that incorporating a major, widely praised, mechanical change is very important to those high in the studio- and they'd rather keep swinging until they hit a home run than concede that classic mechanics can make for a more widely appealing Halo game.

the problem is the masses don't care if a game has sprint or not, and H5s high mechanical complexity makes it LESS appealing to the mass.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

as you mentioned, you really don't need clamber for this... just geometry and devices that allow you to scale the map.

H5 maps are taller due to clamber effectively increasing the heights players can reach, but maps don't "play" any more vertically than they ever have. arena maps are still, typically, just 2-3 levels and the effective ranges of all the weapons have been increased to negate he stretching that clamber and sprint required.

i just don't get the verticality argument. Prisoner and Construct are vertical maps, no clamber needed.

personally I'm not anti-clamber. but I'm against stretching maps so that players HAVE to clamber to reach jumps that would otherwise be crouch jumps. forcing players to put their gun away isn't good for Halo. period.

belushy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope MCC PC is announced at E3.

edit: And if Reach some how makes it in, mod support for Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.