• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
as you mentioned, you really don't need clamber for this... just geometry and devices that allow you to scale the map.

H5 maps are taller due to clamber effectively increasing the heights players can reach, but maps don't "play" any more vertically than they ever have. arena maps are still, typically, just 2-3 levels and the effective ranges of all the weapons have been increased to negate he stretching that clamber and sprint required.

i just don't get the verticality argument. Prisoner and Construct are vertical maps, no clamber needed.

personally I'm not anti-clamber. but I'm against stretching maps so that players HAVE to clamber to reach jumps that would otherwise be crouch jumps. forcing players to put their gun away isn't good for Halo. period.

I've come to believe clamber is a pretty silly mechanic. Sprint at least presents you with a real choice (move fast OR be able to shoot gun), rather than clamber, which 99% of the time functions as just letting you jump/higher farther. Even when it is a choice (places where you could crouch jump), there is very little risk/reward with clamber since it's not much slower than a proper crouch jump. There's just not much of a penalty so it ends up being used constantly.

Personally, I would drop it, add a little visual flair to crouch jumping (thrusters effects or something) so scrubs will be impressed, and adjust the map geometry accordingly. Alternatively, they need to monkey with the risk/reward to make it actually interesting and not simply a stat boost of what you could do anyway (jump).

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I like clamber purely because of the fluidity it adds to vertical movement.

It makes the game feel better to play, it's as simple as that.

Feb 9, 2018
I got to play in the current test flight. Hit detection is definitely improved. While Halo 3 is still the most "mushy" and inconsistent Halo (it really needed hitscan for at least weapons like the BR & Carbine), this is the best the MCC version has played. I probably will stick with CE, H2, and H2A, but I probably won't cringe anymore if I did end up playing Halo 3 MP.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I've come to believe clamber is a pretty silly mechanic. Sprint at least presents you with a real choice (move fast OR be able to shoot gun), rather than clamber, which 99% of the time functions as just letting you jump/higher farther. Even when it is a choice (places where you could crouch jump), there is very little risk/reward with clamber since it's not much slower than a proper crouch jump. There's just not much of a penalty so it ends up being used constantly.

Personally, I would drop it, add a little visual flair to crouch jumping (thrusters effects or something) so scrubs will be impressed, and adjust the map geometry accordingly. Alternatively, they need to monkey with the risk/reward to make it actually interesting and not simply a stat boost of what you could do anyway (jump).

The only real benefit of clamber that I see is that it allows you to cancel out of the floatiness associated with jumping 8ft in the air, or flying off of lifts. But when you design maps such that you HAVE to clamber to get around and you have to face your direction of travel to clamber, they are forcing you to look away from the action to navigate, so it's a net loss in my book.

Honestly, double-jump/Wall-jump would make more sense as a verticality mechanic in Halo than clamber does (though I don't think we need a verticality mechanic)

Sprint does provide more of a choice, but imo it isn't really an interesting choice. More often than not when someone is caught sprinting at the wrong time, it's due more to chance, not bad decision making.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: oops button mashing

... Personally, I would drop it, add a little visual flair to crouch jumping (thrusters effects or something) so scrubs will be impressed...

Yep checks out

The only real benefit of clamber that I see is that it allows you to cancel out of the floatiness associated with jumping 8ft in the air, or flying off of lifts. But when you design maps such that you HAVE to clamber to get around and you have to face your direction of travel to clamber, they are forcing you to look away from the action to navigate, so it's a net loss in my book.

Honestly, double-jump/Wall-jump would make more sense as a verticality mechanic in Halo than clamber does (though I don't think we need a verticality mechanic)

Sprint does provide more of a choice, but imo it isn't really an interesting choice. More often than not when someone is caught sprinting at the wrong time, it's due more to chance, not bad decision making.

No lies here. For sprint, I don't hate it, but it doesn't make sense for small maps.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: oops button mashing

Yep checks out

No lies here. For sprint, I don't hate it, but it doesn't make sense for small maps.
The visual aspect is irrelevant, it changes how it feels to move vertically.

Without clamber you have to jump on to an object, with clamber you jump up to an edge. Clamber removes the need for horizontal movement when climbing. It's a subtle difference which has a major impact on how the game feels to play.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
The visual aspect is irrelevant, it changes how it feels to move vertically.

Without clamber you have to jump on to an object, with clamber you jump up to an edge. Clamber removes the need for horizontal movement when climbing. It's a subtle difference which has a major impact on how the game feels to play.

No, it just does the horizontal movement for you. I bet the game would feel even smoother if they turned up auto-aim to 100% headshot mode, too.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Vertical aiming on consoles isn't fun. Clamber forces map designers to create more vertical maps in order to keep players from clambering from certain low grounds to certain high grounds.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

By doing that you make vertical movement far more fluid.

i dunno, it removes the need horizonally (left stick) with the need to aim towards your destination (right stick)- increasing the inputs needed and slowing movement down if you aren't already facing your direction of travel and pulling you out of gun fights. it adds seams to an action that was once seamless.

i think it would potentially make vertical movement more fluid if you could clamber in all directions.

Last edited:

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
As a longtime Halo fan, I just got my X and MCC for the first time. I've heard all the horror stories about the game, so I know what I am getting myself into. I enrolled in the Insider program so hopefully I get accepted into that. Any tips or tricks to find matches in the meantime until the update hits sometime this year?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
As a longtime Halo fan, I just got my X and MCC for the first time. I've heard all the horror stories about the game, so I know what I am getting myself into. I enrolled in the Insider program so hopefully I get accepted into that. Any tips or tricks to find matches in the meantime until the update hits sometime this year?
It's honestly not that bad.

The population is pretty low so don't expect to get matches immediately but I get matches in Team Slayer pretty quickly.

The bigger technical issues with the game are trying to play the game in parties, it's mostly playable in solo.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Clamber is the best addition H5 made to Halo.

Highly disagree and not just to be antagonizing.

Clamber has ruined map design on Halo. Too easy to navigate to places you shouldn't be able to without fighting for it. Clamber made the nerf to sprint negligible, making undeserved escapes even easier. I could elaborate, but that's probably enough.

I know you'll disagree, but classic map design worked better and had a better flow. You can't take classic iconic maps into new Halo because of clamber. Thrust has some of the same effect, but to a lesser extent.

If they keep clamber, I really hope they slow down how fast you can launch yourself up so it's more of an intentional choice of pros and cons.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I so dislike what clamber has done with map flow and design, honestly. I prefer Halo without it - the risk reward mechanics of performing jumps, and map movement routes are more fully explored in classic gameplay.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Yes sir.

And I actually think if you got rid of Sprint and kept the other abilities could be cool. Thrust would be coupled with slide and Spartan charge.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"We decided to go back to our roots. So that means, NO Spartan Abilities, CE Pistol starting weapon, NO radar, SUCK MY NIPPLES!"

-Frankie drops the mic-

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow will be the day, mark my words tomorrow we will get a reveal of a new Halo game, spin off or mainline it doesn't matter something it's happening tomorrow

Jun 7, 2018
Hi I'm new here, but I got to say a Spartan II should be able to run as fast as a Spartan IV can Sprint. That being said, they should remove a lot of the abilities and bring it back to the way it used to be even without the thrust mechanics. Personally, I do not mind ADS but scoped weapons should have weapon link capabilities and display as such.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
For some reason I get the feeling "Halo Infinity" will not be Halo 6, but it will be standard Halo multiplayer in a standalone product, for $30, and then Halo 6 will come next year, and it will be a SP-only experience for $40.

In other words, I feel we are overdue for a fresh Halo multiplayer experience. We are not overdue for a fresh Halo campaign experience.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I get the feeling "Halo Infinity" will not be Halo 6, but it will be standard Halo multiplayer in a standalone product, for $30, and then Halo 6 will come next year, and it will be a SP-only experience for $40.

In other words, I feel we are overdue for a fresh Halo multiplayer experience. We are not overdue for a fresh Halo campaign experience.

We definately overdue for both. H5 MP is long in tooth, and it feels like it's been ages since we got a Halo campaign worth replaying.

I'd be cool with waiting longer for a great campaign, though.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Newwwwww Hayyyyylooooo

Exciting, but it always raises more questions than answers. Hope it's clearly presented and explained.

We need a Halo 2 style reveal baby. Let the juicy gameplay speak for itself.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Newwwwww Hayyyyylooooo

Exciting, but it always raises more questions than answers. Hope it's clearly presented and explained.

We need a Halo 2 style reveal baby. Let the juicy gameplay speak for itself.

i just rewatched the H5 campaign reveal- it actually WAS an H2 style reveal... the problem is - the mechanics highlighted weren't exciting.

H2s reveal was basically minute after minute of highlighting things people asked for and things people didn't know they wanted: massive urban earth environment! battle rifle, unsc turret, dual wielding, enemy phalanx, marines can drive, guass hog, destructible vehicles, enemies can board vehicles, players can board enemy vehicles, badass cutscene...

H5 was a showcase of mechanics that just won't move a crowd it 2015: Sanghelios! Batman's scan tool, basic squad commands, scripted set piece that yanks control from the player, revive, prometheans exhibiting basic fps behavior, plasma grenade gun, ground pound, mustache twirly villain cutscene

i wonder what they could do to get people excited about additions.

Feb 9, 2018
You know what else was on by default in CE? The Plasma Pistol as a starting weapon ;b

Well, IIRC it depended on the map and whether you had "Custom" or "Generic" weapons. I think Hang 'em High always had pistol starts, while some maps you could spawn with an AR or PP. I seem to recall in LAN parties we typically had AR starts on for smaller maps if the map supported them, because constant pistol duels was not something I experienced.

Still, back to the radar thing, I was puzzled why Halo CE in the MCC didn't have the motion tracker on in matchmaking. Having been accustomed to having a radar in Halo for the previous 13 years, it was more than a bit off-putting. I've always found it difficult to function without a radar in Halo, and it's way too easy to sneak up on people. In fact, I've always felt that the radar adds more tactical depth to the game. I suppose people were influenced by MLG to think having no radar was the "pro" thing, and maybe the more vocal members of the community insisted that no-radar Slayer was the "correct" way to play CE, but I never liked MLG gametypes because of the lack of radar (though I can put up with SWAT in small doses because the matches are short and the individual fights quick). I've always preferred standard Slayer with the radar on. Incidentally, the shortened range of the tracker in Halo 5 has been one of my biggest complaints about the game, especially considering the faster-paced gameplay.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So I haven't been following buzz - is there for sure evidence there will be a new Halo, and any commentary or credible influence on what it may or may not be?

Status
Not open for further replies.