• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has Era had an impact in your life?

• Yes. I think I'm a better person now.

Votes: 107 17.9%
  • No. I'm the same.

Votes: 283 47.2%
  • I'm actually a worse person now thanks to this forum.

Votes: 209 34.9%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
México
Has Era affected your life in any away? Maybe you are a better person now, or maybe a worse one?

I can say that it has affected my life in a positive way. I try to be more respectful to people around now, and every day I try to be a little better than the day before. This forum actually makes me want to be better.

I also have learned a lot about movies and series that otherwise I wouldn't have seen if it wasn't because of you.

How about you?

Dec 2, 2017
Often quite negative. OT Era can give the impression life is just doom and gloom and there's no point in trying to live a nice Life or make things better.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would say I'm worse because of the forum, because it wastes a lot of time and creates a very small information bubble that's easy to over-rely on without actually being informed about things.

That said it's not that dramatic of an impact, and it's a simple pleasure to browse when I'm bored, even if there are more productive things I could be doing.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's allowed me what I see all over social media which is basically people think there's never any hope, that people have a "if it's not this way then fuck everything else" attitude, that people have a problem admitting when they're wrong and people just love joking about things rather than being serious even when people truly need help.

It's no different than most places online. That's just how the internet is these days.

Me I'm the same though, hasn't affected me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I joined Gaf so that I would be more comfortable expressing my thoughts, and an internet medium seemed like an easy step in overcoming that anxiety.

Now I post dumb shit, so.......

But also I've learned from reading certain posts on things like LGBT and pondering how I come across in conversation, and also posting dumb shit on those and being rightfully corrected.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I'm the same. I might be a few hundred dollars richer for not having bought games that I ended up not liking very much.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
No, thankfully. This is the most depressing, negative community I've ever been part of.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its made me see how uninformed people that think they're informed can be. Also taught me to ignore the chicken littles in life that see the end of the world in every minor event.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
It has helped me recognize inflammatory right wing arguments that are not worth confronting.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that voted negative and are being serious, you shouldn't even be on here right now then.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a great place to talk about video games and get gaming news and updates, but the EtcetEra section can be dangerous if your opinion doesn't fit with the majority. So if it's improved me in any way, it's my ability to hold my tongue.

In all seriousness though, no it hasn't changed who I am. It's a gaming forum that I enjoy reading and posting in, nothing more or less.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of sour apples in here. If it's so caustic, then make it better. Be the change you want to see.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's a great place to talk about video games and get gaming news and updates, but the EtcetEra section can be dangerous if your opinion doesn't fit with the majority. So if it's improved me in any way, it's my ability to hold my tongue.
Pretty much. The dog piling here, and the seemingly completely random moderating here makes some discussions very dangerous if you don't want to get jumped on or banned.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I certainly have less time but I enjoy being part of this community and I've learned a lot so yes, I think this site has made me a better person.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I've kept my distance from this place so it doesn't affect me. This place is mostly miserable but sometimes I can either learn something I didn't know or get a laugh out of it. It's also a great source for videogame news.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Also what's up with the design of this poll? Two "no" options and the "yes" option expresses doubt through its wording ("I think...").

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can be hard to find sometimes, but Era has a few wonderful communities that I would miss if I left. I've definitely become a better person because of them.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Yeah from GAF to here I feel I'm a lot more "woke" fir a lack of a better term

Can kinda filter thoughts a bit more logically too

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think this place is miserable, I feel very welcome and even though there are negative topics (as there should be, life isn't all sunshine), most of the tooics are fine and some good discussions can be had. I admit though, I don't let the internet, wheter it be forums or social media affect my outlook on life.

Edit: and this woke thing of whatever you call it, I really appreciate that racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia and other negative shit isn't allowed here. It's the reason I feel safe here. It's also the reason I don't visit other places who use the excuse of 'free speech' for spewing hatred.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Naw. There's other social media platforms that I do believe impact people negatively. But I think the general rules, despite an over eagerness to dispense warnings and suspensions, keeps people pretty chill. Every once and awhile, somebody will come at you pretty hard but it's so easy to move on compared to reddit or twitter where every weirdo will crawl out of the woodwork to call you something unflattering.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TBH the other place if anything changed me. ResetEra was just the escape place and continuation what was the other place before, just with different perpectives, mods, owners. Forums grew more and more to be a niche and that's what this place also is. A niche. Only here for OPTC mainly.

Yeah from GAF to here I feel I'm a lot more "woke" fir a lack of a better term

Can kinda filter thoughts a bit more logically too

More "woke"? heh...

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
In moderation, it's been a good thing. It's opened my eyes to some different perspectives and I've learned quite a bit (generally speaking) just by browsing the OT. However, if I spend too much time on here, I think it starts to make me angry since there are a lot of threads that focus on the negative events in the world.