Has Era had an impact in your life?

• Yes. I think I'm a better person now.

Votes: 107 17.9%
  • No. I'm the same.

Votes: 283 47.2%
  • I'm actually a worse person now thanks to this forum.

Votes: 209 34.9%

• Total voters

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's by far the most aggressive forum I've been a part of, so only in the fact that it's also the only forum I'd never do an OP on.
Otherwise, no.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
So many people complaining about how horrible this place is, why do you come back?
serious question.
Some threads are out of control but there's a lot of good and fun here too.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
So many people complaining about how horrible this place is, why do you come back?
serious question.
Some threads are out of control but there's a lot of good and fun here too.

OTs are fun, and the place is a good aggregator of news on both gaming and random stuff.

But the glowing fun period post founding has long since worn off and it's now largely a misery Thunderdome.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly broadens my horizons. I always read threads about topics that I don't have much knowledge in and come away a little more informed. I like reading topics from different points of view, and I always take things to heart and try to grow from it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I think it's made me a better person. Understanding so many different perspectives of a topic is a necessity if you want to be an accepting person.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worse in the sense I get less done because of it.

I don't think it has made me more cynical, but I could see that happening to some people.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I end up ignoring threads because of the pile-on i would get for sharing opinions not terribly welcome here. It isn't worth it. It has gotten too narrow minded in a lot of ways

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Some people from TransERA helped me some with my gender stuff, but irl people have been more significant to the point where it's hard to say if they changed much :\.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much the same person. I have not allowed the toxicity and negativity to get a hold of me. I think if I allowed myself to truly get inundated by this mood, I would have become a far worse person.

I now just try to limit myself to very specific threads.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Often quite negative. OT Era can give the impression life is just doom and gloom and there's no point in trying to live a nice Life or make things better.
It's allowed me what I see all over social media which is basically people think there's never any hope
This is a miserable place so no lol
Yeah, OT does a good job dampening my spirits the rest of the day quite often.
No, thankfully. This is the most depressing, negative community I've ever been part of.

I'm trying to determine if these are self-demonstrating examples or self-fulfilling prophecies... :D

LatteToGo

Oct 28, 2017
When I'm here I often get the impression that you guys hate religion and other who believe in something. You're all not that open minded as I imagine. Shame, I thought you're all different from the older site.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i'd say spending 8 hours a day, every day on this website and constantly refreshing is an impact

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Era has definitely given me perspective, I otherwise would not have got.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
IGN's The Vestibule in 2001 had a more positive impact and that's saying something.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Nah

This place is an echo chamber and pretty goddamned narrow minded, though. I come here for the funny content (both intentional and unintentional) in off-topic and gaming news on the gaming side.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
A thread at the previous place introduced me to what would become my two best friends in college and I'm still incredibly close with them 17 years later. Definitely changed my life!

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Judging by the dramatically fewer participation in the GOTY threads year over year I suspect a big portion of the users have grown weary of the negativity and not even bother with the site.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly come in here to fuck around in sports threads and get gaming news. That continues back to the old site. I have definitely learned shit about games and even sometimes sports because of the excellent posters in the threads I visit. But not much.

But not sure how to quatify that as an impact on my life. Definitely had some good times. Probably moreso at the older place because I could get away with a lot more in the sports threads.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
GAF had a huge impact on me. I went from right wing Christian to being very much on the liberal side.

ERA has mostly maintained that, though the lack of any kind of discourse in any contentious topic has limited my ability to grow.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I'm here I often get the impression that you guys hate religion and other who believe in something. You're all not that open minded as I imagine. Shame, I thought you're all different from the older site.

it's mostly the same people under new usernames as to not be connected with their exit strategy on GAF

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Resetera has ruined my life I am broken mind body and soul.

(I was warned once, it got deleted minutes later but it still haunts me)

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Why would it be different? ERA is the old GAF under a different moderation.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Kinda, but I'm not a better or worse person so I didn't voted.

The "impact" was trying some different games that I ended up loving.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got to mass quote a bunch of doubting Thomas' during the Chiefs Super Bowl run. So it's a net positive.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the other posters saying that this place is a cesspool of negativity and sorrow. but ever since I started excersising that ignore feature, I can actually browse the forum without rolling my eyes into the back of my fucking head. But no, I'm still the same old me.

Euphoria

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Mostly the same. Any real change I experienced came from my time at GAF. I was always a Democrat but the experiences on that forum changed my entire world view. It was my time there that got me so heavily invested into politics.

It was similar here for a bit but now OT is just full of misery most of the time and I am a lot less active, which is honestly a good thing.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I get stressed and angry when I think about it, not that I'd ever dare risk saying exactly why here. It's the most selectively aggressive site I visit with any frequency. Plus, the overt hostility you find on other sites has been replaced with impressively shameless, vicious passive aggression here that's generally worse. It has taught me a lot about the gaming scene.

That said, the news is good and there aren't any Nazis.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I definitely get my dosage of political extremes from Era that I can't get anywhere else.

Sometimes I wonder how some people on here can function outside of Era without pushing people away.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I definitely get my dosage of political extremes from Era that I can't get anywhere else.

Sometimes I wonder how some people on here can function outside of Era without pushing people away.
It's pretty obvious most people just use the internet to vent stuff , there's really no fears of real repercussions to you online, and I doubt most people here would say what they say here in real life (I just can't see it personally).

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
It's pretty obvious most people just use the internet to vent stuff , there's really no fears of real repercussions to you online, and I doubt most people here would say what they say here in real life (I just can't see it personally).
Yeah it's just some. The most concerning thing I've seen are a few threads where people ask how they should interact with someone who doesn't align with them politically. For example: "I'm meeting with someone who's a Trump supporter tomorrow, what should I do?"

Thankfully a lot of replies to these types of threads just tell them to behave like a normal human being.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Worse. I got introduced to Wario64's Twitter through this site and I've been buying more games and other crap than I'll ever play.

Oct 27, 2017
It has taught me alot from reading other peoples perspective, perspectives that I don't get to see or hear in my day to day life. And I appriciate it, it made me a better person. No doubt.

Other than that, no not really. I love this place, donating and helping a guy with cancer, that thread was beautifull.

I do miss the weird threads we used to get, but I love it here and the negative news doesn't affect me really.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
not really, although a lot of threads here have grounded me and reminded me to be normal.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
It's given me the chance to see the viewpoint of, and interact with members of the LGBTQ+ community which is something I wouldn't get to do IRL so, yes!

Oct 27, 2017
I lurked in the weightloss challenge thread for a year and it kept me motivated to also keep working out. In the end i went from 250 lbs to 180 and even got a little jacked and juicy. Shout out to the weightloss challenge thread. 🏋️‍♂️

Oct 28, 2017
I was much more of an antagonistic pseudo Libertarian edge lord doucher than I'd care to admit when I first joined GAF eight years ago.

Not sure how much of a role this community played in me heading in the opposite direction as I matured or if it was just life in general, but I'd like to think I havent completely wasted my time exploring these boards.

Oct 25, 2017
serious question.
Because as far as gaming news and discussions go you don't have any better options anymore.
Twitter/Facebook/Reddit sure as hell ain't any better and most other similar gaming forums are either dead or have turned into alt-right hives.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of smugness, hive mind mentality, passive aggressiveness and dogpiling going on in this forum. Sometimes this can be a very unpleasant place to be. It's not all bad though, I consumed a ton of gaming news on this site and had some fun and even heated discussions with people.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Better now, but GAF and ERA OT kind of did a number on me for many years. Made me quite the angry young man, frustrated at everything and everyone. Then I started trying to actually live like a normal person and I'm a lot happier and have a lot more friends lol.