Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega CD) game?

• No

Votes: 114 15.3%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 288 38.6%
  • Yes, I tried borrowed real hardware

Votes: 127 17.0%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation

Votes: 218 29.2%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega-CD) game?

All these count as real hardware

Genesis and Sega CD (original models)
Genesis and Sega CD (second models)
Genesis CDX
Victor Wondermega RG-M1
Victor Wondermega RG-M2
Pioneer LaserActive

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Previous threads
www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo 64 (N64) game? Nintendo - Retro

So... in honor of Analogues announcement, now let's see about N64.

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Playstation (PS1) game? Sony - Retro

Playstation was my 2nd console, after the Sega Mega Drive. I bought it because some friends already had it, and I could borrow games. It was the console that made jrpgs my favourite genre. Suikoden, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX were standouts. I do not have the console anymore, but I...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES / famicom) game? Nintendo - Retro

Now I expect less than 5 to say "no". But how many owns the hardware here at Resetera? And how many only played NES games through wii vc, nes classic mini, gba ports, animal crossing mini games or otherwise?

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Dreamcast game? Sega - Retro

I love the Sega Dreamcast. I imported it back in the end of 1998, and around Christmas I got Sonic Adventure from Japan. I had to play it in black and white for a while (Ntsc on a pal TV), until I got a vga box, but it still blew me away. I imported Buggy Heat, Powerstone, Dynamite Deka 2, Sega...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a SG-1000 game? Sega - Retro

Years ago, I thought SG-1000 was the Japanese version if Master System. But I now know it was Segas first console, never released where I lived. I have never seen any game for it, nor played ports or anything myself. NTMBK this is for you 🙂

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played an Atari Jaguar game? Retro

The results of the similar Sega Saturn thread surprised me. So I wanted to ask the same about another black sheep of the 90s, the Atari Jaguar. I never even saw the hardware in stores or other places. I did play the sega saturn (and playstation) port of the excellent Rayman though. Random...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Sega - Retro

Seeing the recent Nintendo vs Sega consoles thread, I was wondering how era would reply to this. So, have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Edit: The Sega Master System thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-a-sega-master-system-game.773258/

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Master System game? Sega - Retro

I had 2 or 3 friends with Sega Master System, and I was a big fan of their games. They had Sonic games, Alex Kidd, Disney stuff?, and others. I had neither the Master System, nor the NES. I only got enough money for my first console in the 16-bit era. My favourite Sega Master System game is...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine game? Retro

Both games on the HU cards and the Cd-rom optical format with the TurboGrafx-CD add-on count. The Jaguar thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/ The Sega Saturn thread...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo Pocket (Color) game? Retro

As long as no one asks me to stop, I'll continue with these threads. I am reading every reply, and I'm enjoying all the stories. So, the NGPC? Did you play it back in the day? Did you try it? Or did you only get to try the Switch ports / other emulation? The Jaguar thread...

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yup yup yup. Had one since I was a kid in the '90s. I still have it hooked up to my Genesis and 32X, though it hasn't been able to read a disc the past few years. :(

4xb6a4t.jpg

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I plan to make one of these threads per week.

Include other systems like Virtual Boy, Super Nintendo, 32x, etc. But not newer systems like ps3, xbox 360.

I have been asked about original xbox. Not sure about that. I planned to not include systems released after 2000. Let me know what you think. And what about older Atari systems?

After I feel there are no consoles / handhelds worth mentioning left. I will make a big comparison thread. Most owned Sega system, most owned Nintendo system, most only played by emulation or ports % and so on. Ideas?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Owned the console back at release. Remember Sonic CD, Final Fight CD and (weirdly in hindsight)....Tom Cat Alley being the big system sellers for me at the time.

As a kid the idea of in-game graphics being actual video felt mind blowing at the time, it obviously didn't take very long to realise why it was never going to work once you had the system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
My own story with the Mega CD. It was like a myth. I read about it in french gaming magazines. But here in Norway, I only heard about one place selling it. I kinda wanted it for Sonic CD, but I never ended up going to the store to seek it out.

I was able to play Sonic CD in a collection later (Mega collection?), and now I own it on mobile, PS3 and Sonic origins.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I plan to make one of these threads per week.

Include other systems like Virtual Boy, Super Nintendo, 32x, etc. But not newer systems like ps3, xbox 360.

I have been asked about original xbox. Not sure about that. I planned to not include systems released after 2000. Let me know what you think. And what about older Atari systems?

After I feel there are no consoles / handhelds worth mentioning left. I will make a big comparison thread. Most owned Sega system, most owned Nintendo system, most only played by emulation or ports % and so on. Ideas?

10 years is normally the rule of thumb for something being retro, so anything 20+ years old shouldn't definitely fit, it's ancient tech at this point.

There's been a similar amount of time pass between the release of the OG Xbox and now as there had been between the release of the Atari 2600 and the OG Xbox.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Only through emulation, never owned the system or knew anyone that had it. Some real gems on the system like Snatcher and Lunar.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Of course. How else are you supposed to play the batmobile parts of Batman Returns?

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Yup yup yup. Had one since I was a kid in the '90s. I still have it hooked up to my Genesis and 32X, though it hasn't been able to read a disc the past few years. :(

4xb6a4t.jpg
I'm jealous, the only game I have among that is Sonic CD.

Here's my collection if I recall:
  1. Thunder Storm FX
  2. Final Fight CD
  3. The Ninja Warriors
  4. Switch
  5. The Secret of Monkey Island (was in Japanese so was unplayable for me at that time)
  6. Sonic CD
  7. Wolfchild
  8. Wonder Dog

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I have a Multi Mega (combo MD & MCD). I couldn't afford a Mega CD at the time but I picked up the multimega later and went through some of the hits of the library. Lunar 1/2 & Shining Force CD are probably my faves. Really hope the MCD version of Shadowrun gets translated some day.

Having played a fair chunk of the library, I feel it gets unfairly tarnished with the same disdain as the 32X. There are good games here. Perhaps not enough to justify its launch price, but it was by no means the desert the 32X was.

Most of my games are in storage but I came across some loose ones when I was tidying up a room the other day:

l9qEH4O.png

As I got into MCD later my games are almost exclusively US or JP releases to avoid the curse of PAL.

Last edited:

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I got one about a decade ago, and had fun with it burning games instead of tracking down real copies. Was happy to play through Snatcher on real hardware this way. I've got a Mega Drive Mini 2 with the cosmetic Mega CD bit, so I'm still hoping it gets a hakchi jailbreak so I can have a nice personally curated Mega CD collection on it.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I have played a bit with it on MiSTer FPGA. This thread is making me realize there are probably more games worth checking out than I thought. I first played Sonic CD's PC port at a friend's house in the 90s and the Sonic Mega Collection on GameCube (whatever the one was called that had Sonic CD).

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
10 years is normally the rule of thumb for something being retro, so anything 20+ years old shouldn't definitely fit, it's ancient tech at this point.

There's been a similar amount of time pass between the release of the OG Xbox and now as there had been between the release of the Atari 2600 and the OG Xbox.
So, you think xbox should be included, as well as older Atari systems?

If so, we could get % gamecube VS xbox. Would be interesting.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
So, you think xbox should be included, as well as older Atari systems?

If so, we could get % gamecube VS xbox. Would be interesting.

I'd like to see it, not sure about others. GameCube vs. Xbox could be interesting, I assume it will skew heavily to the GameCube but the demographic here is skewed to the US and the Xbox was a lot more popular there.

If you're including Atari then you're going to have to include Commodore as well ;). Even as a dyed in the wool Sega fanboy, I'd argue the C64 should be there ahead of the SG1000 and maybe even the Master System, but definitely ahead of the Jaguar, NGPC and PC Engine.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Another point about the Mega CD that often gets lost. It introduced me to the idea of demo discs being included with magazines. I distinctly remember seeing a magazine with an included Samurai Showdown demo included on a CD with it which blew my mind at the time. The outrageous price of the magazine meant it was always out of reach.

Demo discs would blow up with the PS1 and became a real integral part of that generation but it was the Mega CD that introduced me to the concept.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Besides emulation, I think the only actual Sega CD game I've ever played on real hardware is Sewer Shark that came with the Sega CD that I got to try out for a couple days back when they first came out.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I bought it, and a starter windbreaker, off a family member. I owned Ground Zeroes, Panic!, and Brutal: Paws of Fury. I think that was all I ended up buying. The thing was finicky for me, I'd have to buy games by convincing my parents to take me to a funcoland like half hour away, and those cases weren't hearty enough for me. But I think the biggest reason I didn't buy much for it was the PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I was a bit too young to experience it in its day. So I bought a Sega CD in like 2015 and picked up some of the major titles to play through. Snatcher remains one of the best games I've played.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see it, not sure about others. GameCube vs. Xbox could be interesting, I assume it will skew heavily to the GameCube but the demographic here is skewed to the US and the Xbox was a lot more popular there.

If you're including Atari then you're going to have to include Commodore as well ;). Even as a dyed in the wool Sega fanboy, I'd argue the C64 should be there ahead of the SG1000 and maybe even the Master System, but definitely ahead of the Jaguar, NGPC and PC Engine.
Good suggestions. I think I'll need some help, so I won't forget any systems. Also, not sure what I'll do about obscure systems like Playdia, Pippin or Pico.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I picked a Mega Drive 2/Mega CD 2 combo in a Dundee junk shop for ÂŁ30 about 25 years ago. Still worked fine so I sold it recently which covered the cost of my Mega Drive Mini 2. I have a Mega SG and Mega Everdrive Pro combo too so there was no real need to hang onto it. I still have a few games including Shining Force CD.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I bought one in maybe 2010-ish, mostly for a few JRPGs. It's not among my favorite systems but It has a few nice games you couldn't find elsewhere so I found it worth it.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I got my Sega CD near the end of 1994 when the price was sub $100. By that point most of the games were dirt cheap as well and I built up a library really quick.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Still have the 2nd model combo. But the games were all stolen. Pisses me off, man. I had both Lunar games in mint condition. I'll never be able to replace those.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and the holy trinity of Lunar:TSS, Lunar: EB, and Snatcher. All credit to Die Hard GameFan for hyping them to the moon when they were new.

Aquova

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I picked one up at a used game store a few years back (the model 2 top loader one), and still have it. I actually only own two games for it, Ecco 1 and 2, but I have *ahem* burned a number of other games for it. It was a neat system, with a few gems hidden beneath a pile of FMV garbage.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I picked a Mega Drive 2/Mega CD 2 combo in a Dundee junk shop for ÂŁ30 about 25 years ago. Still worked fine so I sold it recently which covered the cost of my Mega Drive Mini 2. I have a Mega SG and Mega Everdrive Pro combo too so there was no real need to hang onto it. I still have a few games including Shining Force CD.
I regret never getting the Mega Drive Mini 2. But Mega SG was too expensive. I wonder if Sega could just release a big mega cd collection for Steam?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My family rented a Sega CD unit from a local game store a couple times when I was a kid, and I own one now.

(Actually, that game store - Video Game Wizards in Portland, at least when it was cool in the 90s - allowed me to try every alternative console of the 16/32-bit era at home. My family was able to rent the Sega CD, 3DO, Neo Geo AES, and even the Jaguar/JagCD a few times each.)

ozhenson

May 26, 2022
I think Panic! Is an incredible game, and I wish more people were aware of it's unique madness.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a CD unit for dollars off ebay in the early 00s. I think I spend more money on the memory cartridge than the unit itself from memory.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
still have a model 1, even if i mostly boot images off a mega everdrive

folks clowned in the day because they only saw the advertised FMV tiles, but for a periphrial it built itself a really solid library in the space of a few years - pity that the retro bubble came for most of them too, but at least we have emulation/cd-r's

4xb6a4t.jpg

like it's known that the JP mega drive almost always had better art, but man i love the classic US box art & silly/fragile oversized boxes this & the saturn got

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Sega CD has a large number of games that are barely playable with ridiculously long load times & graphics that are so blurry you can barely tell what's going on. And then you've got stuff like Lunar: Eternal Blue which is one of the best 16-bit games of all-time (it's my favorite 16-bit JRPG even over stuff like Chrono Trigger & Lufia 2).

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
Pretty much just Sonic CD on Gems Collection on PS2, the 2011 remake on PS3 and PC and on Origins on PS5

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I played snatcher via emulation about 5 years ago, a very cool if imperfect game. I'm pretty sure it's the only sega CD title I ever played

Sep 6, 2023
Yup. Owned the original big boy. I still have some games from it including the Japanese version of Lunar I picked up before it released in the states but unfortunately not the Sega CD to actually play them on.