Have you ever played a Super Nintendo (SNES) game?

• No

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 745 77.7%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 137 14.3%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / mini console / VC /

Votes: 69 7.2%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Have you? I never owned one back in the day, as Sega Mega Drive was my console of choice. But I knew one guy in France that had Nintendo instead of Sega. And I played a soccer game on it, as well as Mario in stores.

I later bought the Snes classic / mini. I also bought Snes games on wii vc and ports of the games on gba,and other systems. Amazing rpg library and nice colours.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Previous threads
www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega-CD) game? Sega - Retro

Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega-CD) game? All these count as real hardware Genesis and Sega CD (original models) Genesis and Sega CD (second models) Genesis CDX Victor Wondermega RG-M1 Victor Wondermega RG-M2 Pioneer LaserActive

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo 64 (N64) game? Nintendo - Retro

So... in honor of Analogues announcement, now let's see about N64.

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Playstation (PS1) game? Sony - Retro

Playstation was my 2nd console, after the Sega Mega Drive. I bought it because some friends already had it, and I could borrow games. It was the console that made jrpgs my favourite genre. Suikoden, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX were standouts. I do not have the console anymore, but I...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES / famicom) game? Nintendo - Retro

Now I expect less than 5 to say "no". But how many owns the hardware here at Resetera? And how many only played NES games through wii vc, nes classic mini, gba ports, animal crossing mini games or otherwise?

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Dreamcast game? Sega - Retro

I love the Sega Dreamcast. I imported it back in the end of 1998, and around Christmas I got Sonic Adventure from Japan. I had to play it in black and white for a while (Ntsc on a pal TV), until I got a vga box, but it still blew me away. I imported Buggy Heat, Powerstone, Dynamite Deka 2, Sega...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a SG-1000 game? Sega - Retro

Years ago, I thought SG-1000 was the Japanese version if Master System. But I now know it was Segas first console, never released where I lived. I have never seen any game for it, nor played ports or anything myself. NTMBK this is for you 🙂

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played an Atari Jaguar game? Retro

The results of the similar Sega Saturn thread surprised me. So I wanted to ask the same about another black sheep of the 90s, the Atari Jaguar. I never even saw the hardware in stores or other places. I did play the sega saturn (and playstation) port of the excellent Rayman though. Random...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Sega - Retro

Seeing the recent Nintendo vs Sega consoles thread, I was wondering how era would reply to this. So, have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Edit: The Sega Master System thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-a-sega-master-system-game.773258/

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Master System game? Sega - Retro

I had 2 or 3 friends with Sega Master System, and I was a big fan of their games. They had Sonic games, Alex Kidd, Disney stuff?, and others. I had neither the Master System, nor the NES. I only got enough money for my first console in the 16-bit era. My favourite Sega Master System game is...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine game? Retro

Both games on the HU cards and the Cd-rom optical format with the TurboGrafx-CD add-on count. The Jaguar thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/ The Sega Saturn thread...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo Pocket (Color) game? Retro

As long as no one asks me to stop, I'll continue with these threads. I am reading every reply, and I'm enjoying all the stories. So, the NGPC? Did you play it back in the day? Did you try it? Or did you only get to try the Switch ports / other emulation? The Jaguar thread...

Last edited:

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Yes. A couple of my friends had a SNES when I was a kid and I played it then. Mario Kart, Stunt Race FX and SFII were the highlights. I got one myself years later when there was a bit of a retro thing in UK retails stores in the early-to-mid 2000s and it was easily obtainable. I think I still have Mario Kart for it and that's it.

Ultimately, I was team SEGA and while the SNES was impressive, I didn't like the controller for fighting games and the audio in some games had this overly warm echo feeling to it. So I never did get one back in the day.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
All my experience is ports/virtual console emulation. Didn't own one back in the day or even really know any other kid that had it either.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I have played plenty, and even I owned system. Technically it was my dad's console, but the N64 came out a couple months before I was even born, so it was mainly me playing the SNES when I started playing. Mortal Kombat 2, 3 and Yoshi's Island were my favorites. I really shouldn't have been playing MK, considering I was still a toddler. Despite how young I was, I understood how to play those games for the most part. It wasn't until GBA ports and the Wii Virtual Console that I really got into the SNES library though.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I had one and also emualted a lot of it's library extensively in the early 2000s. I think it's my favorite console.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Tons.

Some recs for those that haven't:
Top Gear
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Earthbound
Donkey Kong Country (I'm partial to the first)
Super Metroid******
Super Castlevania IV
MEGA MAN X 1-3
and honestly most Square or Nintendo first party games in general.

Not really any uncommon picks there but yeah. Great start. Also

DuckSauce

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 19, 2023
Yep, was my first console followed by the PS1 and Dreamcast. I spent way too many hours of my early childhood playing everything and anything I could get my hands on from garage or carboot sales. Mario was of course the favourite, why I got a piranha plant as my second tattoo.

Good times with that console, brought the family together for some fun-filled adventures. I now own an original NES with gold Zelda and a few other rares, absolutely love the nostalgia it brings.

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Been playing SNES since before I can remember. Family got one around the time I was born, I still have the controller I put bite marks in lmao.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I got one very late in the SNES's life, when they did the deal for £99 with Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars on one cartridge.

It has an incredible library of games and is still one of the contenders for best console ever alongside the PSX and Saturn. I posted my rough top 50 in another thread so here it is below. I would just like to point very specifically to Prince of Persia, which a lot of people may overlook due to it being one of the most ported games of all time so they think they've played it elsewhere. The SNES "port" should really more be considered a remake, having almost double the levels as well as new traps, enemies and bosses as well as much improved graphics and a new and excellent soundtrack.

1 Super Metroid
2 Zelda 3
3 Yoshi's Island
4 Prince of Persia
5 Chrono Trigger
6 Terranigma
7 Donkey Kong Country 3
8 Demon's Crest
9 Super Mario RPG
10 Donkey Kong Country 2
11 Mega Man X3
12 Zombies Ate My Neighbours
13 Mega Man X
14 Dragon Quest V
15 Lufia 2
16 Metal Marines
17 Secret of Evermore
18 Street Fighter Alpha 2
19 Rudra no Hihou
20 Kirby Super Star
21 Tales of Phantasia
22 Super Mario World
23 Illusion of Gaia
24 Jungle Strike
25 Star Ocean
26 Soul Blazer
27 The Ninja Warriors Again
28 Skyblazer
29 Kirby's Dream Course
30 Mega Man X2
31 Kirby's Dream Land 3
32 Tetris Attack
33 Dark Law
34 Dragon Quest VI
35 Starfox
36 Bahamut Lagoon
37 Dragon Quest III
38 Live a Live
39 Gunman's Proof
40 Super Aleste
41 Turtles in Time
42 Tengai Makyou Zero
43 Final Fantasy 5
44 Axelay
45 Rock & Roll Racing
46 UN Squadron
47 Final Fantasy 6
48 Mystic Quest Legend
49 NBA Jam Tournament Edition
50 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yes, many. It was my first console when I was a kid.
My favorite games were:

- Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Street Fighter 2
- Super Metroid
- Demon's Crest
- The Adventures of Batman & Robin
- Final Fantasy III
- Super Mario World
- Turtles in Time
- Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
- Donkey Kong Country
- Super Castlevania IV
- Earthworm Jim 1+2
- Chrono Trigger
- Illusion of Time
- Hagane: The Final Conflict
- Terranigma
- Mega Man X
- Starfox
- Actraiser 2
- Breath of Fire II

Good times.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Had a Atari 2600 clone in my early years, but my childhood was basically the SNES. Went on to have a pretty great collection of games in the end.

And many of the games I rented were simply unforgettable gems.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I always believed I'd end up with one eventually but it never panned out. My plan was to get the sega, while my other friend got the Nintendo so we would basically have access to both. Then I'd be able to get my own later and have a good idea of what games I wanted. (I wouldn't have bought good games for it.) I remember saving up for one a few times, but I could never save up enough for the console and a game before the money burned a hole through my pocket. My dad's interest in console games was fading and, as far as I remember, he had zero interest in the snes, so I couldn't count really lean on him to get one. My interest in snes dropped off a cliff once he bought a PC until I played one again probably 2002ish. I played Link to Past at an acquaintance's and was having blast.

I bought a SNES mini as soon as I could so, if I'm tethered to this mortal plane as a ghost, it won't be because of the snes.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned before multiple times, but a couple of friends had a SNES as their 'second console'. Everyone else had a Mega Drive. My spot of the UK was Segatown until the PlayStation turned up.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I've played the SNES Final Fantasy trilogy through ports.

Beyond that, no.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Only Re-releases. Think my Snes count is only at Super Metroid and Earthbound atm. Got halfway through Mario RPG too.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah got one launch year (US) for Christmas. Loved that thing. It wasn't my first console but it was the first time I was hyped for a console because I followed its pre release development in the gaming magazines of the time.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It was technically my dad's, but yes. Probably my favourite console of all time.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had NES but didn't know anything about SNES as a kid and years later, played lots of its games with emulator.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The console that truly cemented gaming as my thing. A legendary console capable of impressive feats (at the time), backed by a library filled with seminal releases and timeless classics.

I still have my hand-me-down console in full working order almost 30 years on. I have a great selection of games and an arcade stick too. All still working despite being thrown from place to place. They don't make plastic like that anymore people.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I worked all summer at a kmart the summer of release to save up to buy one with legend of zelda. It was magical...

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I would unfairly and harshly judge anyone who has never played a 16-bit game.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes

It was my first game system ever - bought super Mario world

Currently it's my second most favorite Nintendo system

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Yes I have.

Of all the retro consoles, SNES is probably the one I have the most games for.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Who are the four people on this forum who have never played a SNES game?? I need to hear their life stories.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Who are the four people on this forum who have never played a SNES game?? I need to hear their life stories.

When that "have you ever played a video game" parody thread was created, it surely was foreseeing this.

But the majority of that group is probably people who weren't alive/too young for the SNES, an absolutely ancient console at this point.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't own one but my friends and neighbours did.

Good times playing Double Dragon, Alladin and Super Mario World after school.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was ready to jump ship from my (beloved) Mega Drive the second I saw Super Ghouls & Ghosts. I mean F-Zero, Pilot Wings and Mario World all looked great, but I was a huge fan of GnG, I got the Mega Drive port with my Mega Drive and as soon as I saw those screenshots I knew I had to sell my MD to pay for a SNES (which eventually happened).

The early Mega Drive library is always going to hold a special rose-tinted place in my heart, but the SNES had a stronger library overall no doubt. So many hours playing the Vs balloon arena and Street Fighter 2 with my school mates.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
Got one that Christmas, and it was a real surprise.

Super Mario World was the pack in.
My dad is a fighter pilot so we had UN Squadron.
Ultraman.
I want to say Actraiser.
But the main event was Final Fantasy II, which my dad remembered was an NES game I had devoured.

And I worked overtime on chores so that I could put SimCity on layaway and pay it off when that came out.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Still own my SNES. It's got some of my all-time favorite games on it like DKC 1-3, Star Fox, and Turtles In Time.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah, and I still have my original hardware. I disconnected it from my TV after I got a SNES Classic, however, since the latter looks better on my HD TV (and it has pretty much all the SNES games I own, anyway).

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
Yes and I learned Megaman X speedrun on real hardware back in the 2000s