• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
That's usually the case though, PS first is accepted as default, Xbox first raises eyebrows.

There's definitely a lopsided nature to how timed exclusives are treated by games media. Every PS timed exclusive is treated like the media as a full fledged exclusive until suprise! its actually timed exclusive. Xbox timed are exclusives are literally badgered into admitting that it will come to PS someday lol.

Last edited:

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Beautiful game to look at, arguably one of the best

I found it boring though, combat was ok if not simple although could get frustrating against more than 2 enemies

But yeah didn't find the whole mental health issue thing interesting at all

And those stupid ass puzzles about lining up stuff were terrible

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
needs to have HDR, Dolby, at least good X enhancements, locked framerate, and either more content or less price than last years version for me to consider buying

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Loved the binaural audio, sadly really didn't enjoy the game at all despite thinking I would. It'll look incredible on the X though, already looked mighty fine on the Pro even if they did go a bit OTT with the post processing.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just beat this yesterday. It's okay, nothing to get worked into a tizzy over.

Good to see it's (probably) coming to Xbox though.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's definitely a lopsided nature to how timed exclusives are treated by games media. Every PS timed exclusive is treated like the media as a full fledged exclusive until suprise! its actually time exclusive. Xbox timed are exclusives are literally badgered into admitting that it will come to PS someday lol.

Yea pretty lame, I hope one day the media and fans will treat both platforms equally

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
There's definitely a lopsided nature to how timed exclusives are treated by games media. Every PS timed exclusive is treated like the media as a full fledged exclusive until suprise! its actually time exclusive. Xbox timed are exclusives are literally badgered into admitting that it will come to PS someday lol.

Is there even any chance Nier or NiOH might end up coming to xbox in either way? Nier devs talked about it and said they would port it if it sold enough for PS and PC.
I'm still happy if Hellblade for Xbox ends up happening.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fan expectations are also like that. If Xbox funds a game's development and in turn gets a year of exclusivity (see ROTTR), the gates of hell open in fanboy outrage. If Crash Trilogy or Hellblade are temporary exclusives... okay? That's cool.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Fan expectations are also like that. If Xbox funds a game's development and in turn gets a year of exclusivity (see ROTTR), the gates of hell open in fanboy outrage. If Crash Trilogy or Hellblade are temporary exclusives... okay? That's cool.
Crash trilogy wouldn't be possible without Sony though. While Hellblade is available on PC unlike ROTTR.
There's always caveats like SFV being made only because of Sony. ROTTR was possible even without MS.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
That was expected, they said the XBONE version was not at launch because of funding. But the games was a success so of course the game will come.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely a lopsided nature to how timed exclusives are treated by games media. Every PS timed exclusive is treated like the media as a full fledged exclusive until suprise! its actually timed exclusive. Xbox timed are exclusives are literally badgered into admitting that it will come to PS someday lol.

Nobody gives the unpopular kid a fair go syndrome.

Hope it sees the success on Xbox as it did on PS4. Wonderful game that deserves it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Crash Bandicoot is not temporary exclusive, Playstation is the HOME of Crash.

/denial

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Crash trilogy wouldn't be possible without Sony though. While Hellblade is available on PC unlike ROTTR.
There's always caveats like SFV being made only because of Sony. ROTTR was possible even without MS.

Thinking street fighter V would NEVER happen without sony is nonsense. Sony support helped to make the game be a reality (way) sooner, but street fighter is no back-end unknown franchise that capcom would surely never touch again without someone giving them partial funding

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking street fighter V would NEVER happen without sony is nonsense. Sony support helped to make the game be a reality (way) sooner, but street fighter is no back-end unknown franchise that capcom would surely never touch again without someone giving them partial funding
But it did help in one way or another. MS exclusivity for TR didn't help anyone except themselves.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
But it did help in one way or another. MS exclusivity for TR didn't help anyone except themselves.

Why was Tomb Raider: one of the most famous and well gamingfranchises in the world , tent pole release for Square-ENIX ANY different to Street Fighter;one of the most famous and well beloved gaming franchises in the world , tent pole release for Capcom?

You are literally proving the point that several have made in the thread.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Why was Tomb Raider: one of the most famous and well gamingfranchises in the world , tent pole release for Square-ENIX ANY different to Street Fighter;one of the most famous and well beloved gaming franchises in the world , tent pole release for Capcom?

You are literally proving the point that several have made in the thread.
Because it was already ready to be released on the other platforms until MS said no. Street Fighter wasn't getting made any time soon until Sony helped with funding.

Serastros

Mar 3, 2018
I did really enjoy this game. it has some pretty new "perspectives" to perception. Do really recommend playing this one..

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Fantastic. The more people that get to play this game the better.

And it can't be stressed enough:

PLAY THIS GAME WITH HEADPHONES

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Because it was already ready to be released on the other platforms until MS said no. Street Fighter wasn't getting made any time soon until Sony helped with funding.

You need to prove the second half of that quote, just because that is what PR said, doesn't mean it was the case.
What you are saying that Capcom was NEVER going to make another Street Fighter game.

Anyway, this is super well trodden ground. However you want to put it, money exchanged hands from Sony to Capcom, there isn't an Xbox version as a direct consequence.

Last edited:

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't say it "wouldn't be possible" had Activision wanted it, but by all accounts Sony are the ones who approached them about getting it made. I'll prematurely post proof just incase:

We have the Game Director outright saying Sony approached Activision and them to bring it to the PS4:
https://youtu.be/uGy76CftGws?t=15s

And then theres also a tweet by a Sony rep:
https://www.twitter.com/johntdrake/status/742536392031408129

There was another tweet since deleted that read: "@TimGettys really glad this made you happy dude. Took everything in my power not to hint to you we were working on getting remakes going! :)"

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic. The more people that get to play this game the better.

And it can't be stressed enough:

PLAY THIS GAME WITH HEADPHONES
I've seen this said before 'round these parts. Is it really that important?

Not an issue for me since I play every game piped through an Astro Mixamp into Fideio X2s, I guess I'm just curious why people say this for this specific game (Hope it gets Atmos support).

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Not an issue for me since I play every game piped through an Astro Mixamp into Fideio X2s, I guess I'm just curious why people say this for this specific game (Hope it gets Atmos support).

The game emulates voices in your head that honestly can only be experienced with headphones. The game even says as much when you first start it up.

So yes people, play with headphones !

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
You need to prove the second half of that quote, just because that is what PR said, doesn't mean it was the case.
I don't need to prove anything as that was the official statement. Besides, how do I prove that stuff? Do I go to Japan and get confirmation from Capcom? The closest proof I can give you is an interview with one of the producers. He says that they went with PS4 because they are supporting the fighting genre the best along with giving the okay on the first ever cross platform game of all time. It also doesn't help that MS wasn't keen on cross platform back then. It's different right now but Capcom went with the choice that helped them at that moment.

Here's the interview. https://youtu.be/-ZNH1ZrxpVU

The whole idea of making a trilogy was Sony's idea. They went to Activision to propose it along with the timed exclusivity and the rights for Activision to borrow the source code for the games.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Dolby Atmos and this game.

tenor.gif

This is going to be glorious!
Might actually double dip.
I have my 5.1 pumped and ready.
Binaural audio doesnt work well with 5.1
Just get yourself a good set of Stereo Headphones.
DT 770 Pro 80
md_b08c814c53eef33e5559d08ee0ff2fa2.jpg

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The game emulates voices in your head that honestly can only be experienced with headphones. The game even says as much when you first start it up.

So yes people, play with headphones !

Oh wow. That sounds super interesting. (that looks sarcastic. I'm not being sarcastic there)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May pick this up if it's X-hanced

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017

The game has its own 3D audio processing, and its one of the best I've ever heard in a game. I have the Astro Mixamp with a sennheiser game one, and the game sounded fantastic, but you want to make sure the dolby is turned off on the Astro mix amp. The game makes audio part of the game, and its used in the gameplay, you have voices in your head coming from all directions. Its all very convincing, and very well done, its odd that other devs dont have this type of audio in their games.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The whole idea of making a trilogy was Sony's idea. They went to Activision to propose it along with the timed exclusivity and the rights for Activision to borrow the source code for the games.
They havent used any source code from the old games at all...

It would haven been still be possible without Sony regardless.

Some folks really have to stop putting Sony on a throne as the big almighty company that makes things possible.

People should call out this annoying exclusive deals out instead like already mentioned always happens with Microsoft for whatever reason.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tomb Raider sold below Square Enix's (very optimistic) predictions, and a sequel wasn't guaranteed. When Microsoft showed up at the door with the money, it became a lower risk investment. Was Street Fighter really that "niche" that it wouldn't have warranted a multiplatform sequel and it needed a major funding by one of the console manufacturers? Not a provocative question, I don't follow Street Fighter enough to know what happened behind there. In general, such exclusives are not a positive unless the game was basically impossible to make without said funding. Stuff like Destiny's multiple-year exclusive DLC content was plain bullshit for example given that the "gimped" versions costed the same, and it's a game that prints money anyway and definitely didn't need such shady tricks. I can understand a smaller scale game like Hellblade relying on that extra money, however.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
They havent used any source code from the old games at all...

It would haven been still be possible without Sony regardless.

Some folks really have to stop putting Sony on a throne as the big almighty company that makes things possible.

People should call out this annoying exclusive deals out instead like already mentioned always happens with Microsoft for whatever reason.

Maybe I'm misremembering stuff. My bad on that. I don't think that Sony wasn't criticized for that. It was just drowned out by people saying "Crash is dead". That was the general negativity surrounding the game so we just didn't see the people who did criticize the exclusivity.
Tomb Raider sold below Square Enix's (very optimistic) predictions, and a sequel wasn't guaranteed. When Microsoft showed up at the door with the money, it became a lower risk investment. Was Street Fighter really that "niche" that it wouldn't have warranted a multiplatform sequel and it needed a major funding by one of the console manufacturers? Not a provocative question, I don't follow Street Fighter enough to know what happened behind there. In general, such exclusives are not a positive unless the game was basically impossible to make without said funding. Stuff like Destiny's multiple-year exclusive DLC content was plain bullshit for example given that the "gimped" versions costed the same, and it's a game that prints money anyway and definitely didn't need such shady tricks. I can understand a smaller scale game like Hellblade relying on that extra money, however.
IIRC it wasn't that SFV wasn't important to them, it was more like the company itself was in the red during that time.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
What is a good/cheap headset to get the best out of this game? Was thinking about the Sennheiser 507081, thoughts?

Petran

Oct 29, 2017

welcome to the internet.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes the SDK's that a game is built on or the version of an engine that doesn't support particular console.

Both of these reasons make no sense in the case of Hellblade
They gave the Pro an enhanced version, they will give the X - for which the game is yet to come out - an enhanced version