• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
If this is true, I plan to...have a PS4 pro but didn't get it then. Will def pick it up on Xbox to support more games like these on the platform tho.

It's a fairly simple combat-action-adventure with a really interesting focus on mental health and staggeringly good visual and audio design. Like, regardless of this being an indie game the sound effects and visuals are some of the best you'll find in any game. The gameplay is a mix of exposition almost by way of walking sim, fairly straightforward environmental/perspective puzzling and sword combat. I really liked the balance for the most part and it lasted me about 8-9 hours, which is perfect for a linear game of this nature. If you do buy it I hope you enjoy it bud - I know that Ninja Theory said it became profitable a few months ago so hopefully this port will bring in lots of cash to let them keep doing what they're doing.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fairly simple combat-action-adventure with a really interesting focus on mental health and staggeringly good visual and audio design. Like, regardless of this being an indie game the sound effects and visuals are some of the best you'll find in any game. The gameplay is a mix of exposition almost by way of walking sim, fairly straightforward environmental/perspective puzzling and sword combat. I really liked the balance for the most part and it lasted me about 8-9 hours, which is perfect for a linear game of this nature. If you do buy it I hope you enjoy it bud - I know that Ninja Theory said it became profitable a few months ago so hopefully this port will bring in lots of cash to let them keep doing what they're doing.

Well I'll pick it up even if this turns out to not be true. My backlog is just to damn big between X, PS, and Switch :-(

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Any chance this could translate into a ps4 disc with English, kind of like Shadow of the beast and nioh complete?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! The more success this game and the studio that made it is able to get the better. Seeing it sell even more will just further prove that inflated budgets are not necessary to make a high quality product in the modern age with all the tools at developer's disposal. Here's hoping it does well for them on the new platform.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like the sort of game that I could see as a shadow drop directly to Gamepass.

Glad it's coming to more platforms though, really liked my time with it on PS4, and am tempted to double dip and play it on PC.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
As a hypothetical situation a developer may have licensed Unreal Engine 3 and started developing a game on that 3 years ago, before PS4 Pro or Xbox One X or Switch even existed.
They may have evaluated Unreal Engine 4, but decided that it was not necessary for what they were planning to do.

So they start building a game for that engine and SDK, they code their game, they modify it, they purchase plugins, modules and middleware that is compatible. They modify these to suit their needs.
Then out of thin air, new consoles appear and Unreal Engine 3 doesn't support these new consoles, nor does the middleware. In fact, at this time neither does Unreal engine 4.
So you carry on making your game, after all switching to a new engine means redoing a huge portion of your game again, just to create the same result.

More time passes, more work is done and the consoles come out, neither engine supports these consoles.
More time passes and only the latest engine supports the new consoles.

So you don't get X , Pro or Switch support.
That's how it happens and that is why at this point, people are still hopeful for PS4Pro and X support, but it cannot always happen.
Especially if your game launched months ago, there may be very little financial justification or resource available for going back to a game and adding support.

Even if we aren't talking about Unreal Engine , we have similar situations with other games, Kingdom Come Deliverance is using a very of Cryengine that doesn't play well with HDR, so the game was never developed with it in mind. It's not the case of clicking "check for updates" and updating to a newer version of Cryengine, there are often huge ramifications involved with switching engines.

Just for reference, Hellblade was released on PS4 in August 2017.
Unreal Engine 4 did not receive any support for Xbox One X until August the 17th, the UWP SDK did not receive support until October 2017, now with production lead times, testing, certification etc it's quite possible that a game that uses that Engine may not receive support for Xbox One X til maybe now.

Here are some Xbox One games that were released before support arrived using Unreal Engine 4 that haven't got X patches yet

RIME
Ruiner
Snake Pass
Styx 2
Friday the 13th

This is why there is still an expectation that a game might not support X or PS4 Pro.

Again, you are talking about theoretical scenarios that can absolutely happen (at least partly), but don't apply to Hellblade. I say partly because I don't even think you can build an engine that supports the PS4/XBO but not the Pro and X. Not to a degree that you can't easily correct it.
It even says for that UE4 X update that X isn't even a separate build platform. This is no "omg no way I can fix this without Epic in any reasonable timeframe" situation. It's not a Switch. It's another Xbox that plays the same games running on the same engines, but potentially better with miniscule changes on the dev's part.

Hellblade came out well after the Pro, for which it offered enhancements, and now the port comes out well after the X.

All the games you listed came out before the X, and now you draw a comparison to a game that is already Pro enhanced since launch and is yet to even come out on Xbox?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

As I already explained, the Pro is a different console to the PS4 and the X is a different console to the Xbox one.
Developers don't sit their typing 1's and 0's into a command prompt, they often rely on various pieces of software to support the end format. If hat support isn't there this can make it unfeasble to do.

I don't really know what else I can say to explain this to you, I've tried to be informative and give you very specific examples also, I can only assume you are trolling now.

Let's go right back to the very original post.
I really don't see why it wouldn't be X enhanced. I just take it as a given.

I've given you the reasons why others don't consider it a given, but you still claim that others are being unreasonable to be reasonable.

For the record, I expect that new release games will support the X, however I fully see why some game won't or may never support it.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
As I already explained, the Pro is a different console to the PS4 and the X is a different console to the Xbox one.
Developers don't sit their typing 1's and 0's into a command prompt, they often rely on various pieces of software to support the end format. If hat support isn't there this can make it unfeasble to do.

I don't really know what else I can say to explain this to you, I've tried to be informative and give you very specific examples also, I can only assume you are trolling now.

Let's go right back to the very original post.

You are being a bit rude now

I've tried to explain that the X and Pro are not as different to the base consoles as the Switch is. It's simply a fact. Many of the difficulties of porting engines and games simply do not apply here. This is why even with the most outdated SDKs and engines, they have 100% compatibility out of the box (just not making full use of all resources). If it was as you say, this alone would be impossible.

They might not support it out of ignorance, and that would even be ok. It's their decision. But there is simply no good technical reason to keep using an Xbox SDK from a year ago for a port of a game that comes out more than half a year after the launch of the X. And like I said (which I don't think you know either) I'm not even sure whether you are allowed to ship such a game.
Taking this and the Pro support into consideration, I don't fully see why a game such as Hellblade shouldn't support the X. I think (?) it would be the first game under the same of kind circumstances that doesn't support one of the consoles.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Sweet! Gimme X enhancements too!
Oooh. I didn't even think about if they add Dolby Atmos support. That would be amazing for this game from what I hear. lol, no pun intended. :D