Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
More likely this will be the template used for future games with mandatory PSN account linking. Those countries literally can't create PSN accounts because Sony doesn't offer it there.
So they can create a PSN account, it would just have to be one from a supported country like the USA, in which case they'd need to enter a valid US address I think?

I've had a PSN account for years and it's a US one. I live in one of those countries.

Now whether they want to go through that is another question.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Man, so many companies would kill to have the hype and install base of Helldivers 2, and they just decided to burn it all to the ground.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Likely temporary. But no matter what side of this you're on, you have to admit it's pretty funny/sad.

Embrace PC strategy to recoup costs of modern game development.
Delist game from a bunch of countries
???
Profit?

toppa

Aug 25, 2023
Bump in numbers?

Steam users are going to boycott all their GaaS games now. They are not only ruining Helldivers 2 they're ruining the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima port, Concord, etc.

This is the most short sighted decision I've ever seen
The boycott is going to be as successful as the CoD boycott.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it pretty much similar to Microsoft/Xbox login for like Halo? You get achievements and can use your Xbox/PSN friends list and other MS/account features.

MS has been doing this for like a decade with no compaints now. Sony just late to the party.

Yeah. I think it's really just a matter of how Sony went about this.

(1) Not requiring this at the start
(2) Selling this in countries that couldn't make a PSN account, without some way to get around it officially

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
So they can create a PSN account, it would just have to be one from a supported country like the USA, in which case they'd need to enter a valid US address I think?

I've had a PSN account for years and it's a US one. I live in one of those countries.

I wouldn't say valid is the right word. They need to enter a address that exists is proabaly more fitting.
I have a Japanese PSN account since a long time, and the address I put in is literally Sony Headquarters in Tokyo. Pretty easy to check if this is a valid address or not for Sony lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Likely temporary. But no matter what side of this you're on, you have to admit it's pretty funny/sad.

Embrace PC strategy to recoup costs of modern game development.
Delist game from a bunch of countries
???
Profit?
Lol yeah they are dealing with this in the worst way possible. Should've simply stuck with it and send a message about looking into a workaround for players who are not in PSN supported regions. Now they are simply looking they fucked up and giving only the demands of several chronically online people who are only in this for the shitshow.

Jul 2, 2021
At this point Sony should just back down
There was nothing stopping this Helldivers train until Sony wanted to fluff up their numbers.

Doing this after news saying the game wouldn't even be top 20 without PC is just a bone headed move. Like they had this perfect success story and now it's a mess PR wise.

Granted idk what people are going to do when GoT comes out and requires it.
I can see them make maybe one exception with Helldivers 2 because Arrowhead fucked up by making it optional after one week (because of their server issues). But backing down all together? No chance. They will do this for every 1st party multiplayer game. It's already confirmed for Ghost of Tsushima: Legends. And all the other Sony 1st party multiplayer games like Concord and Fairgamedollar are next. Sony is doing the same thing all the other publishers do. "Wanna play our multiplayer game? Create a PSN account." Just like how you need a Xbox Live account for Sea of Thieves on the PS5.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Why exactly would Valve be willing to sell mandatory PSN linked games to regions where their customers don't have access to PSN services? Excluding those countries from sale for PSN exclusive titles is the right thing to do as a store owner.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I did not think requiring a PSN account was a big deal. But this?
This is dumb as hell. Sony finally got their GaaS and this is the road they want to take ?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The thing that surprised me the most:

NfWnD8L.png

Antarctica has Steam players? And Antarctica has its own national flag?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Doing these changes and working during the weekend certainly is a choice.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully this is just a temporary solution until they figure out something long term. Blaming anyone but Sony for this mess is also hilarious.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
The corporate big wigs saw the success and were just brainstorming,"How can we fuck this up?". Mission accomplished gentlemen

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Thats been my thought too with all this noise. As soon as the cutoff date happens (june 6th?) you'll never hear people talk about this again. People will find work arounds like making a us psn account which takes 2 seconds.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They (Sony) are messing up Arrowhead's good thing.

If arrowhead did not wait months none of this would have happen if anything Sony was to nice.
They should have made sure the account linking was still done early .
Plus if anything this effect Sony much more than arrowhead since they have whole bunch other games coming to PC.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why exactly would Valve be willing to sell mandatory PSN linked games to regions where their customers don't have access to PSN services? Excluding those countries from sale is the right thing to do as a store owner.
?

I never said anything about that though.

I just corrected your claim that people in those countries 'literally can't create PSN accounts'. They can, just not for their own country.

I didn't comment on whether Valve was doing the right or wrong thing at all.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I couldnt give a shit about what you "believe" , the TOS is still messed up regardless and it's insane to ask money for a game while having on the TOS that you can be banned from the game at any time Sony wishes for the crime of making a PSN account off region

I mean ya its dumb that the TOS is worded that way. But that is literally every TOS. Every company can ban you for any reason at any time. The fact is that despite it being in the TOS Sony never does enforcement of inaccurate region info. Because how the hell would they know what country your legal residence is in? Like I lived in New Zealand for 2 years, but my legal residence remained in Canada that whole time. I have and many others have PSN accounts in multiple regions. Players in regions without PSN access have already been doing this for well over a decade. Shit is dumb but this outrage is way overblown.

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
People on Reddit seemingly think this move could actually be coming from... Valve?

It's the top comment over there.
NWsbiBQ.png

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah. I think it's really just a matter of how Sony went about this.
Yea if it came with it out of the gate I think there would be grumbles but maybe even some enthusiasm if this meant Somy taking PC gaming seriously. The delay to release feels like they've latched onto a good thing to push this out. Shouls have been optional 100%.

They've obviously had this cooking so I guess Ghost of Tsushima was supposed to be the first game to include it optionally to kinda break people in gently then later releases start requiring it but they say Helldiver numbers and thought now is as good a time as any to force people to use it.

It's sad because in some ways I hope it doesn't bite them too much, because the game is great and Arrowhead deserve the acclaim they've got, and on the flip side I also hope someones in the hot seat right now being asked wtf they were thinking with this shit idea.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wanted to see if Sony would officially recommend people signing up in other regions.

Guess that isn't going to happen :P

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The cod boycott meme gotcha remains really disingenuous. On steam people playing games show before those who aren't in a group. So yes the first 3 pages had people playing Call of Duty but it went on for 50 something. The series collapsed on pc for years

MANTRA

Feb 21, 2024
Can't remember the last time Sony bended to an outcry before, this seems pretty par for the course with them.

Every single person in those now restricted countries should be eligible for a full refund no questions asked. What a joke.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They already are a true global gaming brand.
But they have a lot to learn about PC gaming. For example, never ever make this PSN thing optional again. It doesn't matter how bad the server issues are.

Sony mess up by not putting to much work on the devs , it crazy when you think about it .
With all the issues the game was having if they made sure and told arrowhead that psn account still had to happen day 1 always.
They would not be having this issues.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it pretty much similar to Microsoft/Xbox login for like Halo? You get achievements and can use your Xbox/PSN friends list and other MS/account features.

MS has been doing this for like a decade with no compaints now. Sony just late to the party.
I wouldn't say no complaints, you should have seen some of the transparent fanboy shit that people were posting on GAF (and here) in reaction to mandated XBL logins. Not quite the same, and it never got this bad, but whew boy, I still remember some of those posts for how mindbogglingly fanboyish they got.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I just corrected your claim that people in those countries 'literally can't create PSN accounts'. They can, just not for their own country.

Let's check and see what Sony thinks about your claim that they can create PSN accounts:

www.resetera.com

Helldivers 2 has been delisted on Steam in countries where PSN isn't available

EDIT: Removed the image because it included Japan, but it seems this package was always restriced there. They have a seperate one: https://steamdb.info/sub/906469/ Please feel free to correct me if there is a misunderstanding on my side. You can still see the list down below in the change log...

Seems pretty definitive to me given that it's Sony themselves.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
'Money? Nah fam. PSN sign ups? Yes, into my veins! The shareholders gon loooove this!'

Very funny that Sony finally gave a GaaS hit and within mere months they tank all their good will, piss off their playerbase and then pull the game from sale in a ton of regions

Bodes well for their GaaS strategy going forward lol

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony self-sabotaging their GAAS initiative and their PC initiative at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.