Status
Not open for further replies.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
The thing that surprised me the most:

NfWnD8L.png

Antarctica has Steam players? And Antarctica has its own national flag?

It's not an official flag since it's not a country and not governed by any kind of authority. However, it's considered a de facto condominium, governed by parties to the Antarctic Treaty System that have consulting status. The icon shown represents the "True South" flag designed and proposed by Evan Townsend. It's been adopted by non-profits, research teams, and a few National Antarctic programs and was used as the 2022 marker for the geographic South Pole.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
You all have EA accounts, Ubisoft accounts, Rockstar accounts, Activision accounts, Blizzard accounts, Microsoft accounts, Valve accounts.....but a PSN account was apparently the hill you want to die on.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
What a completely avoidable mess. Could've probably avoided 95% of the complaints and kept everyone involved by making PSN sign ins optional and offering some kind of cosmetic ingame benefit for signing up.

Oct 25, 2017

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Sony, you took your most successful GAAS game to date and are gonna burn it down to the ground on PC over an unnecessary thing like linking an account. launcher.

Edit: Forgot its just linking an account. still a dumb thing to double down on for a game thats been out for as long as HD2

GkLuWb9.gif

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

It's not an official flag since it's not a country and not governed by any kind of authority. However, it's considered a de facto condominium, governed by parties to the Antarctic Treaty System that have consulting status. The icon shown represents the "True South" flag designed and proposed by Evan Townsend. It's been adopted by non-profits, research teams, and a few National Antarctic programs and was used as the 2022 marker for the geographic South Pole.
Ahhh, I learned something new.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Let's check and see what Sony thinks about your claim that they can create PSN accounts:

www.resetera.com

Helldivers 2 has been delisted on Steam in countries where PSN isn't available

EDIT: Removed the image because it included Japan, but it seems this package was always restriced there. They have a seperate one: https://steamdb.info/sub/906469/ Please feel free to correct me if there is a misunderstanding on my side. You can still see the list down below in the change log...

Seems pretty definitive to me given that it's Sony themselves.
I'm confused. Your link goes to the OP in this thread?

As I said, I am in a country in that list. I literally have a PSN account. I created it while living here. It's not an account for this country but one for the USA, that I've used for years. What are you not understanding?

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
If it is Valve, is it to get around the refunds?
For the listed countries, almost certainly.

Why would Valve do this? This isn't the first controversial game on Steam, and Valve never delisted a game before.
One indication why I could see it being Valve is the inclusion of Puerto Rico in the delisting. You actually can create a PSN account there, but you have to select United States as country and then select it from the States/Territories.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This does feel like Steam's move over Sony requesting it. This move is in Steam's best interest, they don't want people buying a game they can't play then request a refund. Might as well stop the bleeding.

Sony should have accounted for this before the game released, and this is now the consequences of that.

Yeah a lot of this really does feel more like it's coming from Steam than it is from Sony. It needs to be stated over and over that Sony has never given a shit about off-region accounts before, and in fact they actually recommend using a nearby region if yours isn't officially supported. But the internet has been saying "If you're not in a supported country you can't make a PSN account" nonstop for the last couple days and Steam is hearing that and is trying to cover their ass, ironically enforcing Sony's TOS harder than Sony ever has. Legit wouldn't surprise me if Steam just took a list of countries with PSN regions and banned all the ones that don't, given how...sloppy/rushed it comes out.

But none of that detail means anything. Perception is reality. If the perception is Sony has a ban on off-region accounts then Sony now has a ban on off-region accounts whether they like it or not - Steam if anything is being pre-emptive by delisting it outright rather than allowing people to waltz into said ban. If enough people believe it to be true then it becomes true. And so Sony now has an obligation to revoke this ban.

It is for a lot of GAAS games, but usually you actually gain something from it, it isn't just a one sided transaction designed specifically to pump up a network's numbers.

Like with Fortnite (and many other games), for instance, your Epic account facilitates cross platform progression and purchase crossover. Cyberpunk enables cross platform save transfer that way. Lots of games do it these days.

What do you get for linking your PSN in Helldivers?

Presumably the benefits for Helldivers would also be cross-play and cross-progression, like however many other games do this.

Yes the game already has cross-play but with no account linking enforced Arrowhead's likely doing something more custom to facilitate that...which probably explains in part why it can be surprisingly janky relative to its contemporaries at times. Account linking would at least leverage the same kind of infrastructure link every other game's using.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I wouldn't say no complaints, you should have seen some of the transparent fanboy shit that people were posting on GAF (and here) in reaction to mandated XBL logins. Not quite the same, and it never got this bad, but whew boy, I still remember some of those posts for how mindbogglingly fanboyish they got.
Actually can't remember but I was kind of out of the gaming loop at that time for a few years stuck with offline PC games but I can absolutely imagine the fervor around it so I said no complaints now haha I'm sure a few blood vessels were ruptured over it in the past.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Holy shit what a huge disaster this became. One of the biggest successes of the year to a big, self inflicted, negative.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. Your link goes to the OP in this thread?

As I said, I am in a country in that list. I literally have a PSN account. I created it while living here. It's not an account for this country but one for the USA, that I've used for years. What are you not understanding?

Yes, you have an account for someone residing in the US. Now how about one for a resident of your country whom you claim can create accounts? Residents of your country literally can't create PSN accounts.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. So people who bought the game simply won't be able to play it anymore? Am I understanding this right.

Oct 25, 2017
Woooow. I was so sure that Sony would walk this back on Monday.
Instead they're going full steam ahead into a canyon.
My condolences to the people in effected countries that were enjoying Helldivers 2.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Call of Duty, Red Dead, GTA, Battlefield, Apex, Ghosts of Tsushima Legends, Division, etc.

I'm not saying its everything, but account link and/or launchers are pretty common in the multiplayer space from publishers.
I'll be honest, I don't count Ubisoft's games as everybody should know what they're getting into with those, they literally even make you use their launcher, or at least used to. Haven't played one in years. GTA and Red Dead of course would be covered under MP3 as it's the same garbage I assume.

The thing is, for better or worse, most publishers you're mentioning have had a presence on PC for a long time and even have a method of buying the game directly through them. I've played Call of Duty on PC but that was literally through Battlenet which I've had an account through forever, EA has also has had a presence on PC since even before Origin if I recall properly, and Origin is already old. Ghost of Tsushima is the same as this game of course.

What relevance does Sony have to the PC space outside of releasing a few games on it recently? Ubisoft for example at least has their reasons for wanting you to use their terrible app that they support and invested money into. Sony is forcing people to make a PSN account for the fuck of it.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Yes, you have an account for someone residing in the US. Now how about one for a resident of your country whom you claim can create accounts? Residents of your country literally can't create accounts.
you can create a psn account no matter what country you are in, you just have to link it to a different countries address if psn isn't available in your country

I have a New Zealand account while never having stepped foot in the place

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Lol this just get more and more stupid. Once Sony realized that a lot of regions can't even make a legit account they should just have made it optional and offer some free shit if you link it, most (including those in the countries that don't have PSN support) probably would have linked up regardless, now they just don't have any option. Great success I guess.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
daaaamn

It's like Sony wants it to fail. Just nix it and take the successful live service game. Make the PSN shit a boon (like a free Cape or some shit)

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Yikes, hopefully people think twice before supporting Sony's next GaaS on Steam. And I bet they will.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
You all have EA accounts, Ubisoft accounts, Rockstar accounts, Activision accounts, Blizzard accounts, Microsoft accounts, Valve accounts.....but a PSN account was apparently the hill you want to die on.
It's truly baffling. Looking at Twitter you'd swear this was a matter of life or death importance. The craving for outrage is borderline pathological.

hushk

Feb 18, 2023
I just corrected your claim that people in those countries 'literally can't create PSN accounts'. They can, just not for their own country.

I'm sure the scummy company who literally went back and changed text in the ToS will gladly help users who break it when they need support.

How anyone can defend this shit is unreal to me (but not surprising).

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Seems pretty definitive to me given that it's Sony themselves.

This is clearly not enforced, I've not read over the ToS but have had multiple accounts in different countries going back to the PS3. Currently I used my Hong Kong account quite a bit and I have my USA account for games not released in PAL like Xenogears and I'm in the UK.

Would agree the TOS should get updated if its not enforced but not sure of other legal requirements. Sony might need to have it stipulated you aren't supposed to use other regional accounts for some kind of legal compliance but doesn't actually crack down on it which is good enough for me.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Are you under the impression that people like needing to have all those different accounts?

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
It is not. Valve is hands off with these situations. They do not interfere with dev branches.
This is the developer making changes on behalf of the company.
I also have a hard time believing it honestly. But on the other hand, I genuinely think just sitting it out would have been the best solution from Sony's standpoint PR-wise. I guess now they have to comment on it, so we will have a official statement soon enough.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. So people who bought the game simply won't be able to play it anymore? Am I understanding this right.
No they will be able to. This change is just to stop future purchases from these countries and could just be a temporary change until they figure out a permanent solution.
I also have a hard time believing it honestly. But on the other hand, I genuinely think just sitting it out would have been the best solution from Sony's standpoint PR-wise. I guess now they have to comment on it, so we will have a official statement soon enough.
I just told you how things work on Steam on the Dev side.

These are dev branches or Steam pages being handled by the Company making or publishing the game. These changes are not made by Valve, the owner of Steam. They 100% put this responsibility on the ones handling the games.

They are totally hands off with how the game is sold on Steam. Even when allowing refunds, it probably requires the permission of the ones making/handing the game.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
you can create a psn account no matter what country you are in, you just have to link it to a different countries address if psn isn't available in your country

I have a New Zealand account while never having stepped foot in the place

People can create accounts where ever they want, but residents of a country can't if Sony doesn't offer PSN services there. The list of countries in the OP is a list of countries where residents can't create PSN accounts.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I don't count Ubisoft's games as everybody should know what they're getting into with those, they literally even make you use their launcher, or at least used to. Haven't played one in years. GTA and Red Dead of course would be covered under MP3 as it's the same garbage I assume.

The thing is, for better or worse, most publishers you're mentioning have had a presence on PC for a long time and even have a method of buying the game directly through them. I've played Call of Duty on PC but that was literally through Battlenet which I've had an account through forever, EA has also has had a presence on PC since even before Origin if I recall properly, and Origin is already old. Ghost of Tsushima is the same as this game of course.

What relevance does Sony have to the PC space outside of releasing a few games on it recently? Ubisoft for example at least has their reasons for wanting you to use their terrible app that they support and invested money into. Sony is forcing people to make a PSN account for the fuck of it.
Look, I don't want to go in circles on this: Requiring an account link to a publisher is pretty standard, we can argue over how standard but I don't consider it that shocking at all.

So much so that when I bought Helldivers 2 I didn't remotely even think about the problem. I scanned the QR code and forgot about it as did A LOT of others. Sony has every right to require an account link to play their games on PC, it isn't that controversial.

As more and more MS games head over to PS you better believe they will require Xbox Live link.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd guess this is a Steam thing. Arrowhead put a date on the change. And the only thing that's happened since then is people starting to request refunds on Steam.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony stabbing their own eyes out while screaming "MAAAAUUUUUUUU!"

You have been posting non stop about this but I don't think even you believe the nonsense you are posting. People have repeatedly highlighted how this is such a non issue overblown by whiny group of gamers that is assuredly a tiny portion of the overall game's players.

Devs fucked up. Arrowhead handled the situation terribly and in an attempt to hide their own incompetence and PR disaster they threw their business partner and the people who actually owns the IP Helldivers under the bus. None of this would have happened if Arrowhead fixed their shit with the PSN account link earlier than waiting for months to do it and go 'whoops it's not us we swear!'

I genuinely feel bad for players who are impacted that had no actual input on this from regions where PSN is not offered. It sucks.

toppa

Aug 25, 2023
The cod boycott meme gotcha remains really disingenuous. On steam people playing games show before those who aren't in a group. So yes the first 3 pages had people playing Call of Duty but it went on for 50 something. The series collapsed on pc for years
Fine. Any boycott in the video game space, really.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely no way Valve does anything to a major company's game without their approval lmao

Like one of the most notable things about how Valve handles Steam is how they don't use their position to try forcing stuff on companies too much unless it's about something very, very blatantly fraudulent (and they generally still take a few days to be really sure about that before pulling the trigger on obvious scam games), they're not about to suddenly change their tune now.

Eriol

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Nobody has the tought this move is because if theyre enforcing the psn, still having up the game available to buy on those regions could case more issues?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
At this point all parties are at fault here. Sony, Arrowhead, and "the gamers". It's a shitshow from everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.