Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2021
It's really a massive clusterfuck.

Ghost of Tsushima PC also lists having a PSN account as being mandatory. But I can buy it just fine. Hows that work, they sell it to me then tell me after the fact that I can't play Legends mode? Its a communication shit show.
Yeah because you can play the main singleplayer game. But you need a PSN account for the multiplayer mode.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Arrowhead absolutely understood what a disaster this would be. They obviously had to do it anyways, but I can see why doing the dumb thing that you knew was gonna blow up and watching it subsequently blow up would be a shitty experience.

Sony should've listened and realized some battles aren't worth fighting.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
the devs basically told the community that whining and shouting on discord doesn't matter because Sony, the publisher, doesn't read Discord or Reddit
So they said giving negative reviews, asking for refunds etc... is an actual metric they can show the publisher and go "this is bad"

Thank you for the summary. In all my years of gaming I've never seen such a thing. Just wow.

Arrowhead are between a rock and a hard place.

Jera

Sep 19, 2022
"Eventually" lol. This continues to be nonsense. Assuming that a small handful of games survive this GaaS push of Sony's, there's no way they believe that PC gamers would support paying for PS+ for a library of 2 or 3 online multiplayer games, especially after Microsoft tried to do that and was met with rejection (+ they have a lot more MP games on PC already). Even a library of 50-100 would be laughed away, you know.
Amazing you can think this considering the consecutive anti-consumer practices that Sony has very much persisted with over the years. They are the market leader, they can get away with whatever the hell they want and push people to their limits because they have the console industry in a vicegrip.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Arrowhead absolutely understood what a disaster this would be. They obviously had to do it anyways, but I can see why doing the dumb thing that you knew was gonna blow up and watching it subsequently blow up would be a shitty experience.

Sony should've listened and realized some battles aren't worth fighting.

Lol, Totoki already catching Ls

I wonder what the internal discussions were at Sony before/during this. I'm inclined to believe the insistence here was for boosting MAUs for PSN

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The boycott is going to be as successful as the CoD boycott.

It would be catastrophically for HD2 if more than 95% of players boycott the game.
(you know, because the MW2 image is STILL getting "misinterpreted" because that list was automatically sorted by players online. It showed page 1 of 17.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018

Ghost of Tsushima PC also lists having a PSN account as being mandatory. But I can buy it just fine. Hows that work, they sell it to me then tell me after the fact that I can't play Legends mode? Its a communication shit show.
You will be fine for single player but online games will need PSN and probably all future PS titles will require PSN.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at how fast and how hard the fan base has sinked its review score i can only imagine its TGA presence will be downvoted so badly and so far it will make it win GOTY 2022
Steam users don't determine anything for the GOTYs. I seem to remember it did, but can someone confirm if Overwatch required a Battle.net account in 2016 to play? I know that game was well recognised at Geoff's show that year and won a few awards including GOTY.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I doubt it, what Sony is doing now is most likely them reacting (very poorly), especially considering their official support were saying a day ago that you're technically allowed to make PSN accounts in other regions for account linking (and I made a japanese account over a decade ago, so I know it's been something you've been able to do for forever).

Though arrowhead is saying they're trying to work with sony to try and make sure people won't suddenly not be able to play the game anymore in those places without coverage. I'm honestly going with the optimistic take that by the time the date for existing players is reached, something will have given way.
They've essentially been ignoring the wording of their own PSN ToS to permit themselves to not rollout their infrastructure to more territories and honestly, it's kind of hilarious that it's exploded in their face so terribly.

It's so plainly obvious that they wanted people to go out of their way to break ToS and create overseas accounts to keep playing their game. Schaudenfreude is real and I'm permitting myself to enjoy a tiny bit of it, as a treat, just this once, because companies really will try to take everything, including the piss.

Edit: Sucks for Arrowhead getting caught in this crossfire though. It might hurt them as far as their publisher deal goes with Sony but I'm glad they're publicly against this happening, too

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

Think multiple factors here play a role them not delisting it in non-PSN countries:

- The main part of the game, the singleplayer campaign, for which you don't need to link a PSN account, is still playable. Different situation with Helldivers, where the multiplayer mode is the main game.
- They will enforce this account linking requirement for the Legends mode from day one, no exceptions.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
This gotta be one of the biggest own goals in gaming history
Sony is pretty tone deaf and it's honestly sort of a marvel PS is as popular as it is. Xbox has been bending over backward for fans for over a decade now and it's not working. Sony doesn't even offer a proper refund service. Nobody seems to care.

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
Of course Philippines is included in that list yet official supported of PlayStation has been here since the PS2.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It being review bombed doesn't change the fact that it's a great game.

You don't need a 10 to get GOTY lol
It's a service game, the service is a major part of the game. It'll definitely impact fans votings, and I'd question press(es) who vote for HD2 without considering this screw up.

Lol, Totoki already catching Ls

I wonder what the internal discussions were at Sony before/during this. I'm inclined to believe the insistence here was for boosting MAUs for PSN
It's definitely for the MAU boost on that quarterly/yearly report. Gotta look good for the investors.

grtn

Apr 7, 2024
Even if Sony were to backtrack for this title, the restrictive reach of Sony's PSN (officially at least) and Valve's worldwide presence was inevitably going to become an issue in the long term, it is just coming to a point now in a very public way. If Valve isn't willing to go along with Sony unofficially saying to just make accounts in other regions (something that could theoritically induce liability for Valve in some of the counties PSN isn't covered in for selling a game unsupported in said countries), Sony probably has to either expand the reach of the PSN, drop the PSN requirements as part of their future PC plans, or accept the restricted reach they'll have with their online Steam releases.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is pretty tone deaf and it's honestly sort of a marvel PS is as popular as it is. Xbox has been bending over backward for fans for over a decade now and it's not working. Sony doesn't even offer a proper refund service. Nobody seems to care.
Sony delivers the goods in the end.

It unfortunately what only matters.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Sony were to backtrack for this title, the restrictive reach of Sony's PSN (officially at least) and Valve's worldwide presence was inevitably going to become an issue in the long term, it is just coming to a point now in a very public way. If Valve isn't willing to go along with Sony unofficially saying to just make accounts in other regions (something that could theoritically induce liability for Valve in some of the counties PSN isn't covered in for selling a game unsupported in said countries), Sony probably has to either expand the reach of the PSN, drop the PSN requirements as part of their future PC plans, or accept the restricted reach they'll have with their online Steam releases.
Why? they do it with all the others that require an account. What makes this one different

View: https://x.com/zhugeex/status/1786927902522593548?s=61&t=TpdmZCHoaXyI2omhxqW9Ow

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Just fucking dumb

Have a hit game and run good will into the ground because MAU data counts

Sony can't be this fucking dumb

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm worried about Ghost of Tsushima. Sony please stop being stupid.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Of course Philippines is included in that list yet official supported of PlayStation has been here since the PS2.
?
lUu6ayv.jpeg

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, what people really care about is playing games that they enjoy. That's the main reason that PlayStation and Nintendo remain such major players in the gaming industry despite their issues.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Flavor of the Month multiplayer games will continue to come out, require you to make an account somewhere because all crossplay games do that, and people will just just do it and not be weird and this whole thing will continue to look stupider and stupider

Sony invested Billions into their GaaS push, this is their first success
Successful GaaS games is like winning the lottery, most of them fail.
This could be Sony's only GaaS success.

They fucked up hard.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
But yeah, after all of this, I imagine Arrowhead has lawyers going over and over their contract with Sony to see if there is anyway they can get out of it. Would mean losing Helldivers, but at this point Sony has poisoned the well, not even sure retracting this whole thing will gain back those they lost cause it's gone on long enough that not it's likely having permanent damage on the brand.

I wouldn't be shocked if HD2 support ends early and then in 2 - 3 years we get: "(Not) Helldivers 2" from Arrowhead from a new publisher.
You may be overreacting quite a bit

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Steam users don't determine anything for the GOTYs. I seem to remember it did, but can someone confirm if Overwatch required a Battle.net account in 2016 to play? I know that game was well recognised at Geoff's show that year and won a few awards including GOTY.
Let's go! Helldivers will follow Overwatch path but better and much much faster!…

Let's hope not, nowadays i need a OUIJA board to link my overwatch account

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
But yeah, after all of this, I imagine Arrowhead has lawyers going over and over their contract with Sony to see if there is anyway they can get out of it. Would mean losing Helldivers, but at this point Sony has poisoned the well, not even sure retracting this whole thing will gain back those they lost cause it's gone on long enough that not it's likely having permanent damage on the brand.

I wouldn't be shocked if HD2 support ends early and then in 2 - 3 years we get: "(Not) Helldivers 2" from Arrowhead from a new publisher.
This game is also a massive hit on PS5, where none of this plays a role. This game is still a surprise hit, even if this affects the player count on PC, it will still be much bigger than they ever expected.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They should, but it is clear this is a roadmap to what Sony plans on doing in the PC space. They clearly want account link required for their games on Steam, given the rest of the PC space, its understandable.
Or they could've delayed the game until the PSN integration is ready, so they don't have to deceive people like this.

Or they could've let it slide since they missed the deadline for the game's release, they can try again in their next game.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
This whole thing has been fascinating to observe as a fly on the wall. Including the the 2 previous locked Era threads. 👀

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Why? Sucker Punch already came out and said you need a PSN account to use the co-op and multiplayer, but not the single player. It's gonna be required at launch.

Why? They have been clear as day, if you want to play MP you will be required to have an account.
Well that raises another question - Will it still be sold in non-PSN regions with half the game not working for people unable to officially create PSN accounts? In the wake of this kerfuffle it's a good question to be asking / thing to be wary of

Oct 25, 2017
Well that raises another question - Will it still be sold in non-PSN regions with half the game not working for people unable to officially create PSN accounts? In the wake of this kerfuffle it's a good question to be asking.
I'm sure it is going to be a situation of just create a PSN account in your closet supported region.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
The thing many companies find hard to understand when they're in the middle of PR disasters is that you don't get anything by being right. And that's why many of them spiral out of control. You get defensive and petulant because you want to prove your point. We listed it on the store page! Other companies do it! We're right! But it doesn't matter.

It's easy to miss that as you look precedent, and look at logically, but you're not in debate club, you're in a place where right and wrong no longer matter, even assuming you're right.

You can't have pride and ego about it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You may be overreacting quite a bit

I mean, when was the last time something of this scale has happened? How many games have suddenly told users post-launch: "Hey, so... you won't be able to play the game anymore" and then just a day later, pulled the game from sale from not only countries where PSN is supported by many where it is as well.

This whole thing has been an insane escalation that I don't think we've seen before. So I think expecting Arrowhead to just be like: "Yeah, okay, we'll just deal with it", is super unlikely. An insane escalation by Sony is going to result in a huge escalation by Arrowhead.

Why would Arrowhead want to work with Sony who has proven themselves willing to fully fuck over them?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Well that raises another question - Will it still be sold in non-PSN regions with half the game not working for people unable to officially create PSN accounts? In the wake of this kerfuffle it's a good question to be asking / thing to be wary of
Again All the other games like this do. Why is everyone thinking this is some unique untested use case?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
They've essentially been ignoring the wording of their own PSN ToS to permit themselves to not rollout their infrastructure to more territories and honestly, it's kind of hilarious that it's exploded in their face so terribly.

It's so plainly obvious that they wanted people to go out of their way to break ToS and create overseas accounts to keep playing their game. Schaudenfreude is real and I'm permitting myself to enjoy a tiny bit of it, as a treat, just this once, because companies really will try to take everything, including the piss.

Edit: Sucks for Arrowhead getting caught in this crossfire though. It might hurt them as far as their publisher deal goes with Sony but I'm glad they're publicly against this happening, too

It is legit fucked up that they're essentially asking people to break their own rules like that. Like they so actively don't enforce it I honestly wonder if it can even be still considered binding. The biggest consolation has that they've been pretty consistent throughout basically PSN's whole life and they don't really have a reason to stop that - didn't need Helldivers to show how badly suddenly enforcing it would go. From a gamer perspective it's been a good thing that they haven't given a shit. But even then I highlighted in the first thread how awkward it is to ask good-natured people to blatantly break a TOS like that, just out of principle.

They really should've sorted this shit out long ago, but now they're in a hell of honest people, and now it's become a major problem.

Why? Sucker Punch already came out and said you need a PSN account to use the co-op and multiplayer, but not the single player. It's gonna be required at launch.

After this whole mess you really think anyone's listening? People are gonna buy it and get blindsided, doesn't matter what Sucker Punch says.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing you can think this considering the consecutive anti-consumer practices that Sony has very much persisted with over the years. They are the market leader, they can get away with whatever the hell they want and push people to their limits because they have the console industry in a vicegrip.
Yes... the console industry. Sony does not and will not ever have the same market share on PC that they have in their own closed garden. Valve's "stranglehold" makes that a 100% certainty, and many folks reasonably doubt that even Microsoft can do that in the PC space. Sony don't have the leverage now with this one game, and PC gamers will not give it to them even with the 2 or 3 multiplayer PlayStation games that might end up being successful long-term.

Even if they feel bold enough to try, they won't succeed and we can then laugh at them for trying. It's voting with your wallet and it absolutely works.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're planning on releasing a new SKU for those regions, like Japan has? Arrowhead did mention that regions that don't have psn wouldn't be required to login. This would require a different build of the game.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well that raises another question - Will it still be sold in non-PSN regions with half the game not working for people unable to officially create PSN accounts? In the wake of this kerfuffle it's a good question to be asking.

Hm, good point. Before all of this happened, I would've said users could just make a PSN account and choose a different region if there's weren't supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.