• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which to get?

• Astral Chain

Votes: 846 75.5%
  • Borderlands 3

Votes: 274 24.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Borderlands you know what you're going to get. Astral Chain, while unlikely could suck. Since you can't get both go with what you know you'll enjoy and get the risky one when it's cheaper... provided it doesn't suck.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With Borderlands you know what you're going to get. Astral Chain, while unlikely could suck. Since you can't get both go with what you know you'll enjoy and get the risky one when it's cheaper... provided it doesn't suck.
The thing is that, like most Nintendo games, Astral Chain is unlikely to go down in price unless it's an absolute bomba.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Borderlands 3 will have a strong community for a long time but being there at launch is even better.

It will probably drop in price faster than a Nintendo game (though I can see Astral Chain dropping a bit faster than usual bc it's a more niche game and iirc it isn't 1st party) but the 100 dollar edition does have the season pass at a pretty nice discount.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy Astral Chain, sell it, get BL3. Can't imagine AC is going to be very long.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
BL3 if you have a bunch of friends playing it at launch. Tough to get that timing lined up if you get it later down the road.

No friends playing BL3? Just wait on a GOTY edition down the road and get Astral Chain first.
Yeah this is prolly the easiest way to decide.

Although if you do wanna co-op at all, the closer to launch the easier even if you have to resort to randoms.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
BL3. It'll be the bigger game, and you want to get into online/multiplayer focused games as soon as possible. It's also a known property. So if you're deciding between the 2 before they launch, you pretty much know you're getting a game that'll be in the running for goty.
Has any Borderlands won GOTY?

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands 3 will have numerous dlc's and inevitable goty version if previous games are anything to go by . This alone makes me skip it at launch without even thinlking.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
astral chain is a nintendo game so it's not gonna drop in price anytime soon
borderlands will be discontinued after a few months, and if you wait even more you'll get it even cheaper with dlc/etc included. it's a game people are going to play for years so you don't have to really be worried about online population dropping either. people still play borderlands 2 in 2019.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
AC at launch and then sell it to buy BL3 after finishing it. If you have friends playing BL3 then I'd say go that route.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Astral Chain for sure. It's a new IP and it looks very promising. Plus BL3 will probably go on sale by the time you're finished with AC. Meanwhile Astral Chain might take a bit longer to have a price reduction.

And by a bit I mean better start using a calendar cause Nintendo games rarely go on a good sale.

So yeah definitely Astral Chain.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Single player : Astral Chain

Multiplayer: Borderlands 3.

That's basically it, are you playing w friends? BL3, otherwise AC.

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific NW
Astral Chain by a mile. It's a new IP, looks fresh and exciting. BL3 looks like another BL (not to mention it will be discounted in like a month or two).

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Astral Chain - it looks great, it's something different, and it needs the sales to ensure a sequel, BL3 doesn't. If your friends will be getting BL3, convince them to wait a month or two since, by then BL3 will be on sale and everyone will profit.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
If on PC, don't buy the EGS exclusive game if you care about the state of the platform. Otherwise, I'd say both look good although AC sure is interesting-looking.

Feb 15, 2019
Depends on what you value the most.

Odds are you'll get more playtime out of Borderlands 3 and I'm going out on a limb here so obviously this may very well be wrong but I assume you can't buy both because you're strapped for cash or just don't have the budget for both games in which case Borderlands 3 might be better since you'll likely spend more time in it (assuming you actually enjoy the game that is) and as other people have stated above, on launch it's much easier to get together and play with your friends compared to later down the line when some people might have already moved on or the levels just don't match etc.

Astral Chain on the other hand is a Nintendo game and won't be cheap soon. So purely from a money point of view, buying this first and Borderlands 3 later is more efficient.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's already been mentioned, but Borderlands 3 will plummet in price well before Astral Chain does. It'll almost definitely be half price by Black Friday, with a GOTY Edition coming next year, and in the fullness of time it'll be on Game Pass/PS+/whatever right next to all its earlier Borderlands brethren.

But even beyond that, come on, baby. It's Platinum. You know the right answer.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
These two are not comparable. Play what you fancy more.
We can only give extraneous reasons, which should really not determine your mood and purchasing decision, but might be of consideration.

Astral Chain will sell much less, so if you like Platinum Games and want them to continue making games, give them an extra copy.

There's going to be a shitload of games in the coming months, you can play and finish Astral Chain and still have time for the other games.

Conversely, there's going to be a shitload of games in the coming months, you can play and finish Astral Chain and still have time for the other games. By the time you're done with all of those games, Borderlands will be way past its prime, you may not want to buy it anymore (if you're tight on money this could also be a positive). Astral Chain will never stop being interesting, so in that case buy BL3 first.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
BL3 is much more likely to be a great game (as much as I'm stoked about Astral Chain, it just has a much higher chance of turning out to be a letdown), but I still think you should go with Astral Chain. Games like BL3 thrive on keeping huge communities through rapid and deep discounts. And if you're playing on console Amazon/Gamestop will probably be absolutely flooded with used copies of BL3 in a couple of months. Astral Chain, on the other hand, will probably maintain a steep price for years. Right now the best price for a copy of Bayonetta 2 is about $35 used, over a year after its Switch release. Compare that to a game like The Division 2 (in a similar genre to BL3), which can be had for $20 just a few months after release.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Very good chance Borderlands walks away with GOTY if it's on the same level of quality as Borderlands 2 so I say grab borderlands.

Though I am admittedly a huge borderlands fan. So I may be biased.