• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonito_Flakes

May 31, 2021
Hello everyone. Man catching up and seeing everyone's work is inspiring (really liking the sound design in Manafinder). As for us, we were able to release our game Bonito Days back in October and since then have been working on improving it (based off the feedback we got). The free update is set to come out in December and we hope everyone likes the improvements (and new stuff) we added.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
ive started poking around in godot now... hope i can make something more menu-based easily than in gamemaker (ui was hell)

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. Man catching up and seeing everyone's work is inspiring (really liking the sound design in Manafinder). As for us, we were able to release our game Bonito Days back in October and since then have been working on improving it (based off the feedback we got). The free update is set to come out in December and we hope everyone likes the improvements (and new stuff) we added.

Wow! This looks amazing. Any chance this will be coming to PC?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Working on movement system stuff in my game and have put in a bonk protocol.

For whatever reason I managed to miss the other couple times you posted about your game, but now I've falled utterly in love with it. <3 The animations in your pinned tweet are amazing, too!

Really looking forward to seeing (and playing!) more of your game; we desperately need more actual cat games! There's a lot of games with cats as main characters for that cuteness / internet meme factor, but the vast, vast majority just swap a generic main character with a cat sprite or model, without changing any of the underlying mechanics or going all in on animations like you have. Off the top of my head I can only think of Cat-Lateral Damage as the only other game where the game would not work if the main character was e.g. a person, and your game looks so much better visually. Keep up the amazing work!

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that my SO and myself are crazy cat people involved with rescues, fostering and adoption (she's also an assistant vet), with currently 7 cats at home (4 ours, 3 fostered, which is a typical number for us), and I also made the cat OT, so if you ever need any specific cat knowledge or visual reference (e.g. one of my cats knows how to open doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle), I'd be delighted to help. :)

Last edited:

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason I managed to miss the other couple times you posted about your game, but now I've falled utterly in love with it. <3 The animations in your pinned tweet are amazing, too!

Really looking forward to seeing (and playing!) more of your game; we desperately need more actual cat games! There's a lot of games with cats as main characters for that cuteness / internet meme factor, but the vast, vast majority just swap a generic main character with a cat sprite or model, without changing any of the underlying mechanics or going all in on animations like you have. Off the top of my head I can only think of Cat-Lateral Damage as the only other game where the game would not work if the main character was e.g. a person, and your game looks so much better visually. Keep up the amazing work!

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that my SO and myself are crazy cat people involved with rescues, fostering and adoption (she's also an assistant vet), with currently 7 cats at home (4 ours, 3 fostered, which is a typical number for us), and I also made the cat OT, so if you ever need any specific cat knowledge or visual reference (e.g. one of my cats knows how to open doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle), I'd be delighted to help. :)

Thanks! I should add some info about the game itself - you play a cat burglar (cat who is a burglar) that breaks into a facility performing secret quantum experiments. One thing leads to another and you gain the ability to 'split' into two possibilities (this game can be played coop, and in single player you can swap between the cats or play twin-stick) - the juicy stuff comes in the fact that one possibility being observed renders the other possibility 'theoretical' which allows it to pass undetected by cameras, and unobstructed by doors (because that door could theoretically have opened, right?)

So I'm hoping to balance the complexities of (this very naive interpretation of) quantum theory with an extremely approachable and cute main character. And there's also a hedgehog called Lazy Susan :)

I do have a feline intern at the studio - Hugo, a one year old tabby, who has been an invaluable source of inspiration and loose fur. But I'm always happy to see cat videos - please share :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks! I should add some info about the game itself - you play a cat burglar (cat who is a burglar) that breaks into a facility performing secret quantum experiments. One thing leads to another and you gain the ability to 'split' into two possibilities (this game can be played coop, and in single player you can swap between the cats or play twin-stick) - the juicy stuff comes in the fact that one possibility being observed renders the other possibility 'theoretical' which allows it to pass undetected by cameras, and unobstructed by doors (because that door could theoretically have opened, right?)

So I'm hoping to balance the complexities of (this very naive interpretation of) quantum theory with an extremely approachable and cute main character. And there's also a hedgehog called Lazy Susan :)

I do have a feline intern at the studio - Hugo, a one year old tabby, who has been an invaluable source of inspiration and loose fur. But I'm always happy to see cat videos - please share :)
This sounds absolutely amazing and the perfect game to play with my SO! I don't suppose the game has a Steam page yet to wishlist it? I googled the game's name and the only thing that came up is this itch.io game, which I'm guessing it's unrelated (unless it's an early prototype)?

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds absolutely amazing and the perfect game to play with my SO! I don't suppose the game has a Steam page yet to wishlist it? I googled the game's name and the only thing that came up is this itch.io game, which I'm guessing it's unrelated (unless it's an early prototype)?
No steam page yet - I need to get my stuff together for a proper trailer and go from there. Yeah, now you mention it I did come across that game in Itch back when I was googling around - I think (hope?) that there won't be a problem with the naming, as it's not a commercial product?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No steam page yet - I need to get my stuff together for a proper trailer and go from there. Yeah, now you mention it I did come across that game in Itch back when I was googling around - I think (hope?) that there won't be a problem with the naming, as it's not a commercial product?
Yeah, it's very doubtful they would, like, sue you for the name; at worst it might confuse people since that's the one game that showed up when I googled it, but once you have the Steam page up that should hopefully not be an issue either.

What framework are you using for the game? Are you planning on a console release?

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's very doubtful they would, like, sue you for the name; at worst it might confuse people since that's the one game that showed up when I googled it, but once you have the Steam page up that should hopefully not be an issue either.

What framework are you using for the game? Are you planning on a console release?

It's Unity (if that's what you mean by framework?) and yep, I'll be aiming for a Switch version for launch too. The idea of snapping off the joycons for coop play is just too perfect to pass up :)

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Yo everyone,

My brother has been dabbling in music creation recently and I was wondering if anybody knew of a game jam equivalent for music? I was looking at itch.io and there's like barely a couple things there for that. e.g. ""Negastar's BackGroundMusic Jam".

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Hey all! I'm back again with another tutorial and video breakdown! Today we get a nice overview of the Cinemachine camera package available for free by Unity and dive deep into one of the core components that makes it work: The Cinemachine Brain! By the end of this video, we'll have solid understanding of all of its properties and of the potential that Cinemachine has to offer.

Wojo

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo
Greetings Everyone. My friends and I have been working on our game called Chester's Revenge for the past year. We've finally hit a huge milestone and released our Steam Page and Announcement Trailer. I'm excited to share this with you all.

Chester's Revenge is a Run and Gun Platformer that is heavily inspired by two of my favorite games: Mega Man and Cuphead. The game will feature 8 platformer levels and 8 epic boss characters. Just like a proper traditional Mega Man game. While the boss fights themselves are heavily inspired by Cuphead.

Story-wise, you play as Chester the Guinea Pig. You are on a quest for revenge after Rad Ralph stole the Sacred Carrot and wiped out your herd. Crush 8 epic bosses, reclaim the carrot, and get your vengeance!

Additionally, all of the artwork in the game is traditional 2d pixel art and all the sound is traditional Chiptune sound. The look and feel of the game are designed to remind players of the Snes/Genesis era.

Lastly, I'd also post our Steam Page but I'm not sure if that's allowed?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
What would you all recommend for a beginner? C++/Unreal or C#/Unity? I want to invest my time in learning one of them to make a small 3d fighting game prototype in 2022. I have no experience with code, except doing some C# tutorials where I just copied scripts and kinda understood the general logic. I'm just a 2D/3D artist with the brain of an ape who wants to make stylish characters move and hit each others.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What would you all recommend for a beginner? C++/Unreal or C#/Unity? I want to invest my time in learning one of them to make a small 3d fighting game prototype in 2022. I have no experience with code, except doing some C# tutorials where I just copied scripts and kinda understood the general logic. I'm just a 2D/3D artist with the brain of an ape who wants to make stylish characters move and hit each others.
At some point I should really dabble into Unreal just so I can properly answer this question, because I gets asked a lot, and while Unity is an easy recommendation for me to a beginner (as a skill toolset that is reasonably easy to get into, has tons of tutorials, but can be expanded to make anything you want, for any platform you want), it's true I have no frame of comparison between it and Unreal, and with my recent learning that Unreal does have automated memory management and garbage collection, as well as its Blueprints code-less logic management, it may be as good a starting point (or perhaps even better?).

What I can do is help your hypothetical onboarding with Unity through two specific courses / sets of tutorials, for which I actually made a thread a bit back. This should at the very least get your footing on Unity:
www.resetera.com

Painlessly learn to make games with free online university courses and more

Do you want to learn game development but your budget is literally zero? Have you wanted to learn how to make a game for a while, but don't know where to even start? Are you intimidated by the more technical parts of game development? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then this is the...

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
At some point I should really dabble into Unreal just so I can properly answer this question, because I gets asked a lot, and while Unity is an easy recommendation for me to a beginner (as a skill toolset that is reasonably easy to get into, has tons of tutorials, but can be expanded to make anything you want, for any platform you want), it's true I have no frame of comparison between it and Unreal, and with my recent learning that Unreal does have automated memory management and garbage collection, as well as its Blueprints code-less logic management, it may be as good a starting point (or perhaps even better?).

What I can do is help your hypothetical onboarding with Unity through two specific courses / sets of tutorials, for which I actually made a thread a bit back. This should at the very least get your footing on Unity:
www.resetera.com

Painlessly learn to make games with free online university courses and more

Do you want to learn game development but your budget is literally zero? Have you wanted to learn how to make a game for a while, but don't know where to even start? Are you intimidated by the more technical parts of game development? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then this is the...

Thanks a lot! I'll investigate the two options from your thread and see wich one speaks to me!
I did take some basic C# courses on Udemy last year but I felt completely overwhelmed at the time. That was on me tho, I didn't had enough free time to focus seriously.

At the time, I chose Unity by default because my laptop couldn't run anything else, but next week, I receive a good gaming PC, and that opens up the door to Unreal!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks a lot! I'll investigate the two options from your thread and see wich one speaks to me!
I did take some basic C# courses on Udemy last year but I felt completely overwhelmed at the time. That was on me tho, I didn't had enough free time to focus seriously.

At the time, I chose Unity by default because my laptop couldn't run anything else, but next week, I receive a good gaming PC, and that opens up the door to Unreal!
Interesting, is the Unreal devenv that much heavier on resource usage? Without having used it, I assumed they would be similar.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Interesting, is the Unreal devenv that much heavier on resource usage? Without having used it, I assumed they would be similar.

Yes, on my 2016 700$ laptop, I felt it! Unity ran without problem, but I never made big scenes, just experimented with characters and shaders. Unreal would chug like crazy on the default scene, let alone after importing assets.

Same with good texturing software like 3dcoat or substance painter, couldn't use them. Very frustrating, but the struggle is over now!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes, on my 2016 700$ laptop, I felt it! Unity ran without problem, but I never made big scenes, just experimented with characters and shaders. Unreal would chug like crazy on the default scene, let alone after importing assets.

Same with good texturing software like 3dcoat or substance painter, couldn't use them. Very frustrating, but the struggle is over now!
Good to know. Probably shouldn't dabble with Unreal until I update my own computer, then. :D

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Greetings Everyone. My friends and I have been working on our game called Chester's Revenge for the past year. We've finally hit a huge milestone and released our Steam Page and Announcement Trailer. I'm excited to share this with you all.

Chester's Revenge is a Run and Gun Platformer that is heavily inspired by two of my favorite games: Mega Man and Cuphead. The game will feature 8 platformer levels and 8 epic boss characters. Just like a proper traditional Mega Man game. While the boss fights themselves are heavily inspired by Cuphead.

Story-wise, you play as Chester the Guinea Pig. You are on a quest for revenge after Rad Ralph stole the Sacred Carrot and wiped out your herd. Crush 8 epic bosses, reclaim the carrot, and get your vengeance!

Additionally, all of the artwork in the game is traditional 2d pixel art and all the sound is traditional Chiptune sound. The look and feel of the game are designed to remind players of the Snes/Genesis era.

Lastly, I'd also post our Steam Page but I'm not sure if that's allowed?

That looks awesome! I really love the boss designs.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
ah fuck

www.humblebundle.com

Humble Software Bundle: GameDev ART

We’ve teamed up with GameDev.tv for our newest bundle. Get courses like Complete Blender Creator Course & Blender Character Creator Course. Plus, pay what you want & support charity!

i've got some time off... maybe i'll start poking at blender... after i mess with godot a bit more

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
ah fuck

www.humblebundle.com

Humble Software Bundle: GameDev ART

We’ve teamed up with GameDev.tv for our newest bundle. Get courses like Complete Blender Creator Course & Blender Character Creator Course. Plus, pay what you want & support charity!

i've got some time off... maybe i'll start poking at blender... after i mess with godot a bit more
Oh shittttt

I just got laid off (contract work, never again) and I'm looking for something to do during the day. This feels like an excellent pick.

17 gifts from Bonito_Flakes

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 17 gifts from Bonito_Flakes Bonito_Flakes!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Bonito_Flakes said:
Hello everyone, browsing the thread is always a blast, seeing everyone's passion and creativity is such a great motivator for us. Since we just released our update for Bonito Days we want to give away some codes to the community as a thanks for being so cool and inspiring us.

Oh and just so you know what Bonito Days is here is our update trailer :P
https://youtu.be/pz7jWLQLA_0

Thanks for sharing your passion and work and we hope you enjoy our game as much as we did making it.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Nintendo Switch (Europe) Nintendo Switch (Europe): Bonito Days - Won by Weltall Zero Weltall Zero (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Europe) Nintendo Switch (Europe): Bonito Days - Won by Ciao Ciao (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Europe) Nintendo Switch (Europe): Bonito Days - Won by Deleted member 93841 (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Europe) Nintendo Switch (Europe): Bonito Days - Won by Silence_and_I Silence_and_I (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (America/Canada) Nintendo Switch (America/Canada): Bonito Days - Won by Grenchel Grenchel (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (America/Canada) Nintendo Switch (America/Canada): Bonito Days - Won by EssBeeVee EssBeeVee (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (America/Canada) Nintendo Switch (America/Canada): Bonito Days - Won by Sir Sonic Sir Sonic (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (America/Canada) Nintendo Switch (America/Canada): Bonito Days - Won by Green Tentacle Green Tentacle (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Australia) Nintendo Switch (Australia): Bonito Days - Won by frozenmeatpopsicle frozenmeatpopsicle (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Australia) Nintendo Switch (Australia): Bonito Days
  • Nintendo Switch (Europe) Nintendo Switch (Europe): Bonito Days - Won by colute colute (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Europe) Nintendo Switch (Europe): Bonito Days - Won by MikePT MikePT (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Europe) Nintendo Switch (Europe): Bonito Days - Won by wossname wossname (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (America/Canada) Nintendo Switch (America/Canada): Bonito Days - Won by SaberVS7 SaberVS7 (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (America/Canada) Nintendo Switch (America/Canada): Bonito Days - Won by CheapJi CheapJi (1 entry)
  • Nintendo Switch (Japan) Nintendo Switch (Japan): Bonito Days
  • Nintendo Switch (Korea) Nintendo Switch (Korea): Bonito Days

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the giveaway. As you know, I have looking forward to playing this and I just so happened to get myself a switch!

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the iOS version of the AR GPS game I made done (Unreal 4). As with any new platform, took longer than I wanted to transition over, but glad to be on the other side at least lol

Here's the first few minutes of it I had to record for submitting to the app store:

It's not the greatest thing ever made, but it was a learning experience. Even though I am more comfortable using Unreal than Unity, I don't think I'll use it for another AR project ever again unless non-HoloLens-AR starts becoming a major priority to Epic (which I don't see happening)

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, looking cute Rolento :)

Here's an update on my cat-based puzzle game - we have a parkour system now!

The system works using evenly spaced raycasts ahead, and checks to see the difference in elevation between the hits to see if there is a jump in height - then it tests whether it's a climb, a drop, or a drop followed by a climb (which it treats as a jump) - allowing the player to jump from desk to desk just from stick input.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
cant believe theres multiple cat games going around (not counting whatever it was that Swery was doing, I think that might be a dog game tho)

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
Oh man another Saturday!

My game also has a kickstarter pre-launch page and is launching next year! Very exciting and scary, hope all goes well.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The system works using evenly spaced raycasts ahead, and checks to see the difference in elevation between the hits to see if there is a jump in height - then it tests whether it's a climb, a drop, or a drop followed by a climb (which it treats as a jump) - allowing the player to jump from desk to desk just from stick input.
That's very interesting, and it looks so great and natural! I love it!
(for those of you that, like me, can't see the embedded video, here's a link):

cant believe theres multiple cat games going around (not counting whatever it was that Swery was doing, I think that might be a dog game tho)
Oh, I can certainly believe it; cats are the darlings of the internet after all, and with good reason. :) Still, I think Binster's game stands out above the vast majority by being a game where the main character actually moves like a cat, rather than a generic avatar with a cat sprite / model / animations. It's a masteful example of the theme informing the gameplay.

Oh man another Saturday!

My game also has a kickstarter pre-launch page and is launching next year! Very exciting and scary, hope all goes well.

Best of luck! Kickstarters must be terrifying the first few hours / days. :S

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Released the latest version of my game's trailer. It took quite a lot of effort (and feedback from friends), but I'm pretty glad how it turned out!

Short version for the impatient:

Comments much welcome!

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Released the latest version of my game's trailer. It took quite a lot of effort (and feedback from friends), but I'm pretty glad how it turned out!

Short version for the impatient:

Comments much welcome!

Wow - it's the Rampage/Altered Beast mash up i didn't know i needed :) That looks like a whole heap of chaotic fun.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wow - it's the Rampage/Altered Beast mash up i didn't know i needed :) That looks like a whole heap of chaotic fun.
Thank you so much! Rampage was indeed the most obvious, direct inspiration, but it's the first time anyone links it to Altered Beast, including myself, but now I wonder if there was some subliminal influence, too? I played Altered Beast quite a bit on both arcade and Genesis. :)

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I can certainly believe it; cats are the darlings of the internet after all, and with good reason. :) Still, I think Binster's game stands out above the vast majority by being a game where the main character actually moves like a cat, rather than a generic avatar with a cat sprite / model / animations. It's a masteful example of the theme informing the gameplay.
I spent a bit of time improving the state transitions in the Animator Controller in Unity (which, as anyone who is a Unity user will know, is a dark arcane underworld of unpredictability) so the jumps and lands look better now - more videos :)

Direct Video Link

Direct Video Link

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i love the little cat anticipation frames as she (?) looks up before jumping

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
i love the little cat anticipation frames as she (?) looks up before jumping
Thanks 🙂 currently I'm supporting the player choosing their pronouns, defaulting to she, but all the dialogue I've written so far has been first person, so I might just drop pronoun selection to make localisation easier.

The anticipation frames represent the system reading 'player intention' from controller input. Next I want to get it so that approaching a climb or drop at speed will be a seamless jump, so that escaping from pursuing droids feels dynamic 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.