Status
Not open for further replies.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
it is insane how many content there is...after finishing the game it seems there is "another half" to be discovered and unlocked.

if i have one criticism it´s that much of this is unlocked in the same way like Dark Souls 1 DLC: you have no idea how until you read about it. that could have been better solved. but that´s a small nitpick in an masterclass level game.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Oh Zote... You try my patience, but I'll listen to everything. There are actually some smidgets of wisdom in some of his precepts.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any hint at where to find the capital? Apparently I need to find the smith there. Please only hints.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't tweak the charm cost of Grubsong and Thorns of Agony in the lifeblood update. You can get both pretty early in the game and they make some tougher situations so much easier. While getting hit you recover 15% soul and your body does a thorns attack with a considerable AOE that inflicts 2x nail damage.

I used them both in my first run and doing the same again. I also appreciate how useful Gathering Swarm is (didn't use it at all the first time around), it's such a QOL improvement.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I ran into Nosk last night, and goddamn was he annoying. I dunno if it was because I haven't upgraded my nail much or because I just got worse at the game, but I can't remember him being this difficult when I beat him on pc last year.

In the end I got him though, and that sweet reward.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I ran into Nosk last night, and goddamn was he annoying. I dunno if it was because I haven't upgraded my nail much or because I just got worse at the game, but I can't remember him being this difficult when I beat him on pc last year.

In the end I got him though, and that sweet reward.

i have read they buffed him alongside other bosses (Traitor Lord, Watcher Knight)

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Discovered a whole lot in this session. Got the dream nail, an extra soul vessel, more regions and got the crystal dash in the peak. And a
grub mimic
scared the hell out of me. The crystal peak is one of my favorite regions so far, loved the platforming/traps and extra challenges to get the grubs. The location and enemy variation continues to impress me.

There's a gravedigger now outside of town, but he disappears when I use the dream nail on him. Outside of that he just has some dialogue. What's the deal with him? Otherwise I ran into a bunch of dream npc's but marked those for now on the map since those are probably hard fights.

What I love about this game is that (so far) there hasn't been a single time when I run around aimlessly not having a path to explore. After the crystal peak upgrade I know there's a path in the fungal wastes for instance. I always run into something. Think I'm going to change my goty 2017 retroactively :p

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
... So... Deepnest, (one of the?) hidden area (late game):

Oh. Hello myself.

I am genuinely scared to move on. This thing is probably going to grow 8 bajillions legs and jump at me, isn't it?

I'm having Metroid Fusion flashbacks.

Aaaaand it's gone.

Nothing is scarier.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Discovered a whole lot in this session. Got the dream nail, an extra soul vessel, more regions and got the crystal dash in the peak. And a
grub mimic
scared the hell out of me. The crystal peak is one of my favorite regions so far, loved the platforming/traps and extra challenges to get the grubs. The location and enemy variation continues to impress me.

There's a gravedigger now outside of town, but he disappears when I use the dream nail on him. Outside of that he just has some dialogue. What's the deal with him? Otherwise I ran into a bunch of dream npc's but marked those for now on the map since those are probably hard fights.

What I love about this game is that (so far) there hasn't been a single time when I run around aimlessly not having a path to explore. After the crystal peak upgrade I know there's a path in the fungal wastes for instance. I always run into something. Think I'm going to change my goty 2017 retroactively :p

A way to tell the mimic apart from the real thing is to use dream nail on it, it will save you quite a few scares and life blood.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
This game surely has content. I thought I had 100% explored a region, and suddenly a huge secret area appeared behind a fake wall lol

Btw one question regarding the well in the City of Tears
How can I unlock it if I already used the two keys? I managed to access the area below using the tram, but it's a huge detour...

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
This game surely has content. I thought I had 100% explored a region, and suddenly a huge secret area appeared behind a fake wall lol

Btw one question regarding the well in the City of Tears
How can I unlock it if I already used the two keys? I managed to access the area below using the tram, but it's a huge detour...
Better find another key then :P

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi there,

I bought Hollow Knight yesterday before going to bed because of all the praise it was getting. Wasnt planning on buying a game before Mario Tennis but I figured a single player game would be nice for bed play.

I must say Im impressed. This is the first indie game that really managed to pull me in like this. The enemy design and variaty are top notch and the graphics and athmosphere are on a different level compared to similar indie games. I like that there is no hand holding here. Just a map to explore and every room has its own little secrets and ideas within them. I played for 3 hours straight last night. Cant wait to explore some more tonight.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Thanks. This game is really influenced by Souls in more ways than one. People already said that of Momodora IV, but this has way more of a Souls feel to it.

don´t know about this tbh ...it is reminiscent of Metroidvania games with all those oldschool influences. It is gamedesign that already existed 20 years ago. Dark Souls is more of an "3D Metroidvania" and harkens back on exactly that oldschool gamedesign with punishing deaths, finding the way on your own and dropping no hints where to go.

One could argue Hollow Knight is a "soulslike" game- but apart from the mechanic that you lose your currency if you fail to get it back and "vague storytelling" i feel it´s very much it´s own thing. It is much more obscure than even Dark Souls 1 was. Like "i have no fucking clue what i am doing here but i will find out...maybe".

And there is no leveling, there are no stats or different weapons, there is no blocking or iframe rolling in HK.
if anything, it captures the same "magic" feeling that Dark Souls 1 had but i really feel it is standing on its own legs somehow.

Salt and Sanctuary for example is much more influenced in Dark Souls, it could be an official 2d version of DS .-)

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
don´t know about this tbh ...it is reminiscent of Metroidvania games with all those oldschool influences. It is gamedesign that already existed 20 years ago. Dark Souls is more of an "3D Metroidvania" and harkens back on exactly that oldschool gamedesign with punishing deaths, finding the way on your own and dropping no hints where to go.

One could argue Hollow Knight is a "soulslike" game- but apart from the mechanic that you lose your currency if you fail to get it back and "vague storytelling" i feel it´s very much it´s own thing. It is much more obscure than even Dark Souls 1 was. Like "i have no fucking clue what i am doing here but i will find out...maybe".

And there is no leveling, there are no stats or different weapons, there is no blocking or iframe rolling in HK.
if anything, it captures the same "magic" feeling that Dark Souls 1 had but i really feel it is standing on its own legs somehow.

Salt and Sanctuary for example is much more influenced in Dark Souls, it could be an official 2d version of DS .-)

Oh yeah, S&S is straight up Souls in 2D, all the way down to the UI. It just has a simpler build/stat system. With HK I'm still getting Souls vibes here and there though, with everything you mentioned. But people were already saying that with Momodara and there I couldn't really see it, but here I feel there's more of a influence. But not to the same extent as S&S, that's for sure. I do think it's a bit easier to know where to go here because of the map and now I even just got
3 icons of where bosses are hiding
. In that sense I think you get a bit more help in where to go compared to Souls.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
And done with Deepnest.

I am never going back to that place, although there are two very enigmatic places that I guess I'll need to investigate once I unlock something.

On a side note: daaaaaamn some areas are well hidden. Hollow Knight has a lot of hidden passageways, but Deepnest takes the cake. Hit. every. single. wall.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm really getting sick of not having a double jump or the ability to go into acid pools. So many paths are off limits till I find those abilities. Was stunned that
the deepnest contained nothing but the tram ticket

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, S&S is straight up Souls in 2D, all the way down to the UI. It just has a simpler build/stat system. With HK I'm still getting Souls vibes here and there though, with everything you mentioned. But people were already saying that with Momodara and there I couldn't really see it
The latest Momodora wears Souls on its sleeve. The biggest changes from earlier games are all Souls-influenced:

More ambient, barely there music
Your own attacks now have a much longer wind-up
A dedicated dodge button, with i-frames
An Estus-like healing system
Mysterious NPCs hinting at plot points that are rarely spelled out for you

Last edited:

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
it is insane how many content there is...after finishing the game it seems there is "another half" to be discovered and unlocked.

if i have one criticism it´s that much of this is unlocked in the same way like Dark Souls 1 DLC: you have no idea how until you read about it. that could have been better solved. but that´s a small nitpick in an masterclass level game.

Without spoilers, when you say that post-game there is 'another half', how do you mean? New areas unlocking?

Ubiblu

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Finished earlier today with 65% completion. First time player and bought solely based on the praise. Not sure whether I prefer this or Yoku: both superb games in their own right. Not sure I'll go back for the secret bosses or anything, but a solid 9.5/10 in my books.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I do think it's a bit easier to know where to go here because of the map and now I even just got
3 icons of where bosses are hiding
. In that sense I think you get a bit more help in where to go compared to Souls.

yeah, you are right, the "final path" is definitely clearer in HK, didn´t thought about that. But some of the "optional" content is super hidden/vague and requires basically a guide. (Like stuff hidden behind breakable walls that leads to new content/areas)

Without spoilers, when you say that post-game there is 'another half', how do you mean? New areas unlocking?

yep, there are areas and stuff locked in obscure ways .-)

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I used them both in my first run and doing the same again. I also appreciate how useful Gathering Swarm is (didn't use it at all the first time around), it's such a QOL improvement.
Gathering Swarm is so damn useful, I kind of wish it was an item unlock instead and didn't take up a charm notch. The game is just more fun when you don't have to go chasing your geo.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
on a sidenote: i really would like to see a Cuphead/Hollow Knight collab, i think the two fit well together .-) like a shooting section in Hollow Knight or a labyrinthine section in Cuphead .-)

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
The latest Momodora wears Souls on its sleeve. The biggest changes from earlier games are all Souls-influenced:

More ambient, barely there music
Your own attacks now have a much longer wind-up
A dedicated dodge button, with i-frames
An Estus-like healing system
Mysterious NPCs hinting at plot points that are rarely spelled out for you
Reverie or you mean the 3D one? That hasn't been released yet right?

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
yeah, you are right, the "final path" is definitely clearer in HK, didn´t thought about that. But some of the "optional" content is super hidden/vague and requires basically a guide. (Like stuff hidden behind breakable walls that leads to new content/areas)

yep, there are areas and stuff locked in obscure ways .-)

I think this might be one of the most impressive games I've ever played.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
The game is amazing, thanks Era for the suggestion, but dear lord, i am getting my ass kicked by the 3 mantis bosses.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Done Queen's Garden:

Cloth... A true heroine.
Also genuinely surprised to meet the actual Queen, alive and kickin'. This also answer a lot of questions I had regarding Hornet, especially after Deepnest.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
man, this game keeps surprising me by how amazing it is. just finished doing the dark areas now that i have the lamp, and finished deepnest.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I've put about 5 hrs in this weekend and this is probably the best 2d metroidvania I have ever played .

Just love the sense of exploration , I mentioned earlier I was totally lost but once I found the boss it all clicked . I'm now in deep in the greenfield area without a map lol.

One thing it said was I can buy maps and the store but I see no store in dirtmouth. I have 2 stores , 1 that sells keys and 1 that sells pins / badges .

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing it said was I can buy maps and the store but I see no store in dirtmouth. I have 2 stores , 1 that sells keys and 1 that sells pins / badges .
the woman who runs the badge shop is the wife of the guy who sells map. if you beat an area's boss without getting the map, the map guy moves on, and you can buy the map from his wife.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is the most gorgeous game I've played in a long time. Not enough games use a hand-drawn art style. I know that's because it's so much more tiresome to implement, but wow does it pay off for this game. I don't want to play it handheld because I want it all blown up beautiful on my screen.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I'm really getting sick of not having a double jump or the ability to go into acid pools. So many paths are off limits till I find those abilities. Was stunned that
the deepnest contained nothing but the tram ticket
What's funny is that I found both of those abilities before I even found Deepnest. Kinda incredible how two different people can go through the game in such a different way. Only advice I can give is to go through the Crystal Peak area

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What's funny is that I found both of those abilities before I even found Deepnest. Kinda incredible how two different people can go through the game in such a different way. Only advice I can give is to go through the Crystal Peak area

I think I know where I haven't gone there (across the pit that you fall down to get to the resting area) so I guess I'll trek back there this morning. I'm pretty sure that's the only spot on the map I haven't fully explored unless I'm horribly blind.

crystal peaks question:
am is supposed to be able to pass the fast press thingies, or should i come back later?

there's definitely more in that area. do you have the lamp?

If you have the normal dash you can get past them

There was an optional boss that gave me a health or soul upgrade, and of course the main story thing. There is one or two other things of note but afaik I can't do anything with them right now (mask maker, hungry wall person)

Status
Not open for further replies.