• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
... So. I am currently going throught "that" area. I'll just say that there is a lot of platforming involved, and leave it at that.

Since when does this game turned into Super Meat Boy?! At least in SMB you have a good view of everything. This area is a trial for my patience.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Was cruising through the game when I fought the first boss to really knock me on my ass.

Lost Kin kicked my butt quite a few times. Thankfully it's so quick to restart the fight

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
... So. I am currently going throught "that" area. I'll just say that there is a lot of platforming involved, and leave it at that.

Since when does this game turned into Super Meat Boy?! At least in SMB you have a good view of everything. This area is a trial for my patience.
if you have trouble go check out a certain place in Kingdom's Edge that's, uh, positively buzzing with activity, you can see a room that can't be reached the conventional way, you might find something very useful there for this section

also, I've read earlier that they added more checkpoints so really you have it easy

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
After loving the game for the first couple of areas, then going through a really frustrating patch for a few hours that was sucking the joy out of the game, I'm back to really enjoying it thankfully.

I was just unlucky in my exploration during that section, unknowingly choosing difficult and fairly distant areas with not many seats or stations. But have gained some new abilities, discovered more areas, and feeling more motivated and confident in exploring further. The openness of the game does seem like a bit of a two edged sword, where if you unknowingly choose the 'wrong' routes, missing important things like maps, stations, new abilities, etc, you really make it harder and it doesn't feel like interesting exploration so much as stumbling around in the dark with no reward. Thankfully I pushed through and enjoying it much more now.

The Crystal Peak area was awesome, loved it. Now looking around some of the deeper sections. Definitely need to upgrade my nail a second time though, trying to fight a boss down there and he's not too difficult, he's just got so much health and I mustn't be doing that much damage. I can't avoid damage forever, so I eventually die.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
I think I may be a little stuck. I've gotten I think to about 3 main areas and have the maps for 2 of them. I've explored every area I can reach I'm assuming without certain items and power ups. Are there any commonly missed skills or items that happen early game that can prevent you from moving forward? Really liking the game but seems like the kind where just one small detail being missed can halt the progress

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just upgraded my Nail, and I'm stumped.

There doesn't seem to be anything more to explore around the Nailsmith, and I went right at the elevator and met Hornet at the Hollow Knight Memorial, but the way past there is barred by a gate, so I tried to backtrack to the entrance of the area... only to find it barred by a gate, and another path barred by a gate too.

Where do I go? Haven't found a map of the area yet, but I've backtracked everywhere I can and can't find any new paths or exits.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I think I may be a little stuck. I've gotten I think to about 3 main areas and have the maps for 2 of them. I've explored every area I can reach I'm assuming without certain items and power ups. Are there any commonly missed skills or items that happen early game that can prevent you from moving forward? Really liking the game but seems like the kind where just one small detail being missed can halt the progress
the first two bosses are on a linear path, you can get a third essential ability before fighting any third boss. The game tells you where to look for that ability, but it's in the
third area.
After that, there are a multitude of different paths you can take

Last edited:

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017

Did you know that you can slash downwards in midair? Experiment with that a bit.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, I just upgraded my Nail, and I'm stumped.

There doesn't seem to be anything more to explore around the Nailsmith, and I went right at the elevator and met Hornet at the Hollow Knight Memorial, but the way past there is barred by a gate, so I tried to backtrack to the entrance of the area... only to find it barred by a gate, and another path barred by a gate too.

Where do I go? Haven't found a map of the area yet, but I've backtracked everywhere I can and can't find any new paths or exits.
when you are in the open area outdoors, you'll see that there is a platform above that is unreachable. There actually is a way to reach it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
when you are in the open area outdoors, you'll see that there is a platform above that is unreachable. There actually is a way to reach it.

I did see that, and I tried jump dashing off the elevator mid-ascent, but that didn't work. I'll try to figure something else out. Thanks!

Oct 29, 2017
NL
I hate asking but Im 15 hours in and dont know where to go

I cant doublejump,cross hot water and get past those black mist walls. Ive defeated the Soul Master but not the Mantis Lords

Ive added my exploration so far

Df5hU-oU0AErnG7.jpg:large

All I need is a direction

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I hate asking but Im 15 hours in and dont know where to go

I cant doublejump,cross hot water and get past those black mist walls. Ive defeated the Soul Master but not the Mantis Lords

Ive added my exploration so far

Df5hU-oU0AErnG7.jpg:large

All I need is a direction
go further down, but maybe not to the Deepnest
you missed a few things on the map
you'll need something from the
Crystal Peaks
if you don't have that already

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
High marks from me so far. Almost done with Greenpath. I will say I'm not sure about the mapping. One of the most satisfying parts of Metroidvania for me is the automapping. Having to buy a map that is basically sketched out isn't my favorite. I would rather fill in a blank map. BUT the feeling of exploration here is great.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
High marks from me so far. Almost done with Greenpath. I will say I'm not sure about the mapping. One of the most satisfying parts of Metroidvania for me is the automapping. Having to buy a map that is basically sketched out isn't my favorite. I would rather fill in a blank map. BUT the feeling of exploration here is great.
I hate the feeling of not seeing my path until I buy the area map but I'm getting used to it. At the very least, the map you buy is not completely filled in, so there is still some discovery and exploration.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
At the beggining I was not feeling it, but the, it felt like playing darksouls. Should i keep going!? Should i go back to save!? Hey, where did i come from!?

Its an amazing feeling of been lost in this really obscure and dangerous world. Actually, it showed me why i love dark souls... it's an evolution of the metroidvania series.

Hollow knight brings that to a 2d world.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
it's funny that the devs say that the game wasn't inspired by Dark Souls when so many of the famous DS elements made it into HK, even if just by coincidence

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
it's funny that the devs say that the game wasn't inspired by Dark Souls when so many of the famous DS elements made it into HK, even if just by coincidence

Other than losing your exp upon death and needing to recover it before your next death, none of the game design that I have seen so far comes from Souls.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

like iframe rolling, blocking, stats, different weapons, character levels ? .-) but i know what you mean, i just think it stands very well on it´s own feet even if there are elements that are reminiscent of DS. I think it´s just the "oldschool" game design that is the same and vague storytelling. The "decaying" world maybe. In the end they are both masterclass level games and have the same kind of "magic".

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Other than losing your exp upon death and needing to recover it before your next death, none of the game design that I have seen so far comes from Souls.
setting (dying world, minus the bugs), the way the story is told, the way the NPCs interact with you and how you run into them again in other places, ending spoiler
bittersweet ending

these things come to my mind right now

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I beat the first boss of the game and acquired the aerial attack and I have several hundred of the currency/EXP. Is the shop where I got the map the only place to spend it, and what should I prioritise spending it on?

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
So I beat the first boss of the game and acquired the aerial attack and I have several hundred of the currency/EXP. Is the shop where I got the map the only place to spend it, and what should I prioritise spending it on?
Get the Gathering Swarm charm from the shop, that way you don't have to really worry about Geo :)

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted earlier in this thread that I was thought the game was growing stale after the initial hours. I've now played more and I take that back. It's been a blast so far.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
setting (dying world, minus the bugs), the way the story is told, the way the NPCs interact with you and how you run into them again in other places, ending spoiler
bittersweet ending

these things come to my mind right now
You can add to this hidden whole zones that you can completely skip if you don't know where to look.

Oct 26, 2017
Playing through a second time really makes you appreciate how open this game is once you've wall jump. I didnt know you could get to crystal peak with just wall jump, and now im starting the "main quest" of the game which i didnt start for a very long time on my first playthrough.
I havent even been CoT yet, base level nail still. (Pick up the upgraded length from MantisLs thoughs.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it today with the best ending, took me 30 hours. I don't know where to put this gamer among all the metroivania games but is one of the best if not the best.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Man with Steamworld 2, Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, and countless others, the Switch is Metroidvania Nirvana.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Better find another key then :P
Just found it. It was very well hidden compared to the other two...

I really needed to go to Deepnest, had to look it up unfortunately. Learned you can bounce off cther things as well. I entered it via the pit.
What do you exactly need from Deepnest?Except for the mask, the rest is optional.
I wouldnt recommend getting the mask before the King's brand , or you'll miss some interesting dialogue.

Oct 29, 2017
NL
Just found it. It was very well hidden compared to the other two...

What do you exactly need from Deepnest?Except for the mask, the rest is optional.
I wouldnt recommend getting the mask before the King's brand , or you'll miss some interesting dialogue.

Well thats what I figured since I cant seem to progress any further in Kings Edge. This is my first time eh.

Oct 27, 2017
So I was getting beaten by the early boss a few times. Took her on again, calm as a buddhist cow, and I absolutely buried her.

The whole game has now really opened up and I'm enjoying it loads! It's hard as balls though.

Status
Not open for further replies.