• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Thank you!

As for charm, I only have two that the game gave me early on. The most recent one was to get more souls off enemies. The other thing I got, the pin, does not seem to be a charm. It's like an item, like the map, but not sure what it does. I thought it would unluck something that needed a pin, it looked like a door. But it either did not open it, was not meant for that, or I did it wrong

I saw the map guy for the first time, and you're right the second time he is not there, he left a note, and there was paper around. I guess I will try finding him again
Ah, ok, if you have the map he won't be back. You're just gonna have to explore more. If you have the map head to the big chamber with that's a dead end. Pins are just markers on your map.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Finished the game with 62% completion, I assume I got a bad ending.
I fought the Hollow Knight inside the egg and took his place after killing him.

I haven't fully explored the Queen's Gardens, or gone to the Kingdom's Edge at all, so I'll go check those out I guess.
Congrats!

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Flying bugs + platforms = bad time. Of course when I got to the bench I didn't have enough geo to pay for it because I died over and over. Hardest section of the game so far, will try again tomorrow, done for now.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Couple bosses down and able to explore some old areas with new moves and it feels great to stretch my legs. Also found a new shop or two and finally have some stuff to spend my money on.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
Caved and picked this up for switch.

Loving it.

Just finished my third boss, haven't died yet, but it'll happen, ha ha

skipped most of greenpath using the flying enemy hop skip, just took out soul master on first attempt, which is nice because he gave me a ton of trouble the first time I played this.

Gonna spike hop back in crossroads and take out the mawlek I think.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iv been playing with my son and still very early on. I think he just beat the first boss? We're loving it so far but I'm still not sure about how the systems work though since he's been playing most of the time.

How does the map system work exactly? How many times can it be updated?

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
Iv been playing with my son and still very early on. I think he just beat the first boss? We're loving it so far but I'm still not sure about how the systems work though since he's been playing most of the time.

How does the map system work exactly? How many times can it be updated?

If you have the quill and the map for a region, every rest will update the map with new things you've seen. If you haven't found the map, look for pages strewn about as a hint as to where cornifer is. If you miss him, you can purchase maps you've missed up in dirtmouth.

The quill is essential if you want to get your maps updated, and the compass is good on your first run (but it's more fun determining where you are on your map without it, and it uses a charm slot)

edit: forgot to mention, both the quill and compass are available for purchase in dirtmouth.

Last edited:

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
the game I was building that hollow knight definitely inspired:

TAKMuq0.gifv
TAKMuq0.gif

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have the quill and the map for a region, every rest will update the map with new things you've seen. If you haven't found the map, look for pages strewn about as a hint as to where cornifer is. If you miss him, you can purchase maps you've missed up in dirtmouth.

The quill is essential if you want to get your maps updated, and the compass is good on your first run (but it's more fun determining where you are on your map without it, and it uses a charm slot)

edit: forgot to mention, both the quill and compass are available for purchase in dirtmouth.
Thx a lot

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Will your little ghost self ever be placed in an area youve never been to?

I lost another 3000 geo because I spent 20 min fumbling around the dark area I died in and couldnt find my spirit thingy. I eventually tried venturing further to find it and died.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Will your little ghost self ever be placed in an area youve never been to?

I lost another 3000 geo because I spent 20 min fumbling around the dark area I died in and couldnt find my spirit thingy. I eventually tried venturing further to find it and died.

go right from Dirtmouth and open the door with a simple key, inside is a person who can bring the ghost back in exchange for an rancid egg. comes in handy when you die in enemy territory..

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
go right from Dirtmouth and open the door with a simple key, inside is a person who can bring the ghost back in exchange for an rancid egg. comes in handy when you die in enemy territory..

I remember this being my only real gripe with the games design; how this mechanic benefits new players but is kinda hidden and too obtuse for new players to find much of the time.

I didn't discover it until almost endgame on my first play through.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I hate metroidvanias, but I was unsober and bought this game the other night and fell in love. I just got the dash (That boss fight was the first time I died and had some struggles) It hasn't frustrated me like other Metroidvanias. The map is intuitive and has things marked. Custom markers are a goddamn lifesaver for me though, I'd play a lot more Metroidvanias if this was a standard feature. Traversal always feels quick without being mindless. Enemies are very Dark Souls-esque in how they each function to a purpose within the environment and teach the user something about the game. Save areas are perfectly spaced, although I dread that becoming less so as I get further in.

This was rough hahaha. Again, probably not as bad as it seemed but I died a half dozen times before really getting the patterns down, and then just not making stupid mistakes. I loved how it was always my own fault, I have only once in my playing felt that something didn't go how I intended and I blame the switch d-pad more than the game for that incident. I'm not really sure about the story thus far, I love the world and I'm sure it's going to be this big weird ambuguous knot I'll untangle with hints after finishing it but I just love the thematic nature of everything. I'm partial to bugs and insecty aesthetic so I'm very sold

Lastly, the music of Greenpath is breathtaking. Reminds me of FF9.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just got the game. Kind of confused on where to go. I just beat the "mother" enemy. Is the goal of the game to beat bosses in each area and progress?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Had the game freeze on me in the crystal peaks picking up a kings idol where you need double jump to access :|

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I keep finding new areas that look different, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be there or not lol

Quite honestly, I'm not even sure what the end goal of the game is

Just keep going deeper and deeper?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Flying bugs + platforms = bad time. Of course when I got to the bench I didn't have enough geo to pay for it because I died over and over. Hardest section of the game so far, will try again tomorrow, done for now.
Yep. I ended up dropping the game because of this. Certain enemies/areas were just straight up annoying to me, so much so that I quit after 12 hours.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After some more movement upgrades I now have 4 areas I can fully explore, but instead I found a lift to the other side of the city of tears and the kings station right now lol. This game is fucking nuts. Also if you hit the master of souls with your dream nail after you defeat him you'll get rekt. Just sayin.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I keep finding new areas that look different, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be there or not lol

Quite honestly, I'm not even sure what the end goal of the game is

Just keep going deeper and deeper?
If you're looking for an end goal I guess it would be
getting into the Black Egg

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I dunno people say the main game takes 30-40 hours. I'm about to hit hour 17 and I don't think there is much left to do for the story
I've got two of the three dreamers (deepnest and city of tears), am heading for the 3rd one, and afaik the only places on the map I've not been are behind those black energy walls I still can't deal with

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
I dunno people say the main game takes 30-40 hours. I'm about to hit hour 17 and I don't think there is much left to do for the story
I've got two of the three dreamers (deepnest and city of tears), am heading for the 3rd one, and afaik the only places on the map I've not been are behind those black energy walls I still can't deal with
Yea, I don't think it's that long.

I have 43 hours on it on steam, and I've done multiple runs and some speed runs of the game.

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017

The main game is 15-20 hours. Getting 100% takes closer to 30-40.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Yeah, critical or near critical paths can be quite quick. However it is easy to lose hours just getting lost or if you stumble through tougher areas then head back to re-explore easier areas etc. There are also some of us who like to revisit NPCs for new dialogue every now and then or spend a lot of time looking for secrets or simply progress slower as well.
You should also probably make the call when you hit the final bench and see you % completion.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
Ha ha ha ha I'm waiting for 2 endgame'ish things to start overtaking the conversations in this thread.

white palace and trial of the fool. God, both of those almost broke me

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you're looking for an end goal I guess it would be
getting into the Black Egg
Hmm yeah I've seen it a couple of times. I just don't know what indication tells me if I'm done with one section, and that I'm moving forward towards that goal

I was in the beginning place, fought this guy with like an axe, then his face appeared, it was white, and you hit him there. Was that the end of that part? I beat him

I'm now in some forest level. But again, I'm not having a clear sense of progression, I'm not sure if I'm closer towards that goal, or what to do to get there

This is my first type of game like this, people say it's like dark souls, I have not even played dark souls lol

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hmm yeah I've seen it a couple of times. I just don't know what indication tells me if I'm done with one section, and that I'm moving forward towards that goal

I was in the beginning place, fought this guy with like an axe, then his face appeared, it was white, and you hit him there. Was that the end of that part? I beat him

I'm now in some forest level. But again, I'm not having a clear sense of progression, I'm not sure if I'm closer towards that goal, or what to do to get there

This is my first type of game like this, people say it's like dark souls, I have not even played dark souls lol

Your progression will be exploring the entire map. Not that you necessarily have a mission statement to fulfill. (You do have one, but you aren't supposed to know exactly what it is yet). So just go with the flow and see the sights .

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

Have you played a metroidvania game before? The idea is to explore, get new skills, defeat bosses and progress as you please. They're generally vague on definitive goals.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm pretty surprised at how many people seem flummoxed by the open nature of this game. Just explore. Move on to a new area when you want/can.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A rule of thumb for all exploration in this game is that if an area on the map is unfinished, check it out as you uncover new abilities.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I found the dude to sell relics to which means I have quite a bit of geo. Should I buy the lantern or the set of keys? I can remember seeing one place that needed a key and I definitely know there's another in CoT.

Is it one key per door?

Status
Not open for further replies.