• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
I found the dude to sell relics to which means I have quite a bit of geo. Should I buy the lantern or the set of keys? I can remember seeing one place that needed a key and I definitely know there's another in CoT.

Is it one key per door?

One simple key per door, if I recall correctly.

I'd say hit the lantern if you have the cash.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I found the dude to sell relics to which means I have quite a bit of geo. Should I buy the lantern or the set of keys? I can remember seeing one place that needed a key and I definitely know there's another in CoT.

Is it one key per door?
Lantern is gonna open up more areas for you then the key.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to a boss where I am just getting my ass completely handed to me.

The Traitor Lord is absolutely destroying me. This thing feels so incredibly punishing. The fact that every swing takes two health and that there is never a window to heal hurts. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys weren't kidding about this being an incredible game.

It's the first indie title I've purchased on the Switch that I truly love.

Haven't played a metroidvania game since the DS era, Super Metroid being my first as a kid, so it feels old school to me.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Game is really amazing. 25hs in taking my time. Just killed the soul master. Im mid game? Also killed
1 of the dreamers, spider

Only have wall jump and dash plus dive kick skill.

I dont want the game to end!

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Finally beat the game. 25 hours, 84%. What a wonderful experience. I don't really have any complaints: gameplay was fantastic, music was memorable and hauntingly beautiful, great bosses, massive amounts of content, some excellent level design, great challenge, etc.

Phenomenal game, which, at just $15, is better than 99% of $60 games.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
That crystal dude guarding the bench in crystal peak is an asshole. Not so much because he is hard to kill but I went into that room on low health expecting to heal and got a mini-boss fight instead.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game (85%)

Wow what an experience. One of the best gaming experiences I've had so far this year.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES I finally got all the Pale Ore.

So I went into the Temple of the Black Egg and came across the Hollow Knight, who I'm guessing is the final boss. I have the White Fragment and I probably have to find another one corresponding to the King. Can I fight the Hollow Knight, get the Bad ending, and then reload my save file from there? Or does the game lock up once it's beaten?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
YES I finally got all the Pale Ore.

So I went into the Temple of the Black Egg and came across the Hollow Knight, who I'm guessing is the final boss. I have the White Fragment and I probably have to find another one corresponding to the King. Can I fight the Hollow Knight, get the Bad ending, and then reload my save file from there? Or does the game lock up once it's beaten?
You can continue from the same save.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game finally clicked for me. Drove me insane that the map was useless but turns out I had to visit the store in the town...

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
One thing I loved about this game was how, upon completing it, you immediately consider new routes you can take on another playthrough, or optimal routing for speed runs.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. I'm pretty far in, and playing blind. I've got a lot of stuff:

just got shade cloak and kings brand, upgraded to coiled nail (two upgrades?) , have 3 weapon skills, missing 11 charms.

Can't figure out how to get to
the big mask with one eye, in the city of tears. Gonna runnthrough the whole thing again now that I have shade cloak and kings brand

Edit: found it, how'd I miss that?

Been running around filling out missing sections on my map since I have a lot more abilities, and wow. This game is really great.

LOVE the
set a marker and recall to it ability. Great for checking out somewhere only to find out it was a stupid black barrier thingy - no backtrack!

Last edited:

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

Game hit a while 'nother level of difficult right now.

Nightmare King Grimm. What a fucking bastard. Took me an 1.5 hours of grinding to get past 'em. For those curious I have the Pure Nail and my charms were Mark of Pride, Quick Focus, Steady Body, and Grubsong.

Healing after the last fire pillar and during the spikes.

Fight felt like it went on forever. In one run I got Grimm to split into bats 5 times without winning.

After that I resigned myself to being in a war of attrition and never let the idea of impending victory enter my brain. I can't tell you how long it took but I started being way more aggressive during the fire pillars getting 4 sometimes 5 hits in.

Whew what a game.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
So is Desolate Dive only working with quick cast on Switch a bug or just an isolated case? Can anyone confirm if they can get it to work with A? Im not up to it yet so cant test.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
I found it wasn't giving me any problems when pressing down + A in the air. I never tried it while on the ground.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017

The Traitor Lord is absolutely destroying me. This thing feels so incredibly punishing. The fact that every swing takes two health and that there is never a window to heal hurts. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh
Just beat him yesterday. I was also getting my ass handed to me, until I realised sticking to him and abusing shadow cloack's i-frames was the best strategy. This way the only attack you have to pay attention to it's the shockwave, which has a huge windup.
The charm that makes your dash do damage it's really useful too.

Also
If you rescued her, best bug Cloth will assist you in the fight :(

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
So I just saw credits.

it took me 30 hours 56 minutes and 20 seconds to get to 70 percent. The end was quick. MC's eyes lit on fire and got chained up. I'm guessing that was the bad ending?

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
So I just saw credits.

it took me 30 hours 56 minutes and 20 seconds to get to 70 percent. The end was quick. MC's eyes lit on fire and got chained up. I'm guessing that was the bad ending?

Yea, that's the 'regular' ending. There are a few different ones, but, the 'true' ending is worth going for.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp I maxed out the Dream Nail and
unlocked the White Palace.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
I see. I'm not sure what to do now. I guess I'll just move around.

There are a few places to find.

Did you do the abyss? There's also the white palace, and all the DLC stuff which I never did on release, so I can't speak much about it.

The real ending is worth figuring out, however.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
my goodness this game.

just got the
mantis claw
and the whole game just changed. I love this game so much.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I think I'm done with this for now. Just getting a bit too frustrated with this like I did with Salt & Sanctuary, guess Metroidvania's aren't really my thing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I thought Deepnest was bad enough but
the Collector in the Tower of Love. Goddamn.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached greenpath. Gosh this game is beautiful. Also I'm having a lot of fun.

By the way, is Hollow Knight a girl? That miner was singing about a knight with her nail sword, was that referring to the player character?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Alright I think I'm done with this for now. Just getting a bit too frustrated with this like I did with Salt & Sanctuary, guess Metroidvania's aren't really my thing.

The metroidvania genre is a big array of different type of games, where Hollow Knight is one of the larger and more demanding of them all.
(Yoku's Island Express and Steamworld Dig 2 are two other examples of excellent metroidvainia-styled games with a totally different approach to the genre.)

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Loving this more and more. Think I'm still early? Maybe mid-ish.

Got myself the Mantis Claw for wall jumping and explored around a bit, found the Howling Cliffs as well as the Mantis bosses. NPC suggested upgraded my nail in the city so I managed to find that too and have been exploring this massive area now. Not sure if I should go back to the Mantis area first or not though.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yep. I ended up dropping the game because of this. Certain enemies/areas were just straight up annoying to me, so much so that I quit after 12 hours.

I'm loving the game way too much to quit but that was the first time I felt I needed a break. I'm going to explore other areas and come back to this later. What added to the frustration a bit is how your ghost gets spawned in the most annoying locations when you die (right in the middle of the only steady platforms available).

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I'm officially addicted to this game. It has absolutely stellar level design. I'm amazed that I keep finding tiny tunnels that join up all the areas in an organic way. Could be one of my top 10 games ever and I'm not even finished. The amount of charm, personality and polish is blowing my mind.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm about 13 hours in, this game is just amazing. I got the
flying dash
so now I have some new places to go again.

I'd already put this up there as one of my favourite games ever. They just absolutely nailed (heh) the feel of the game, plus it looks and sounds amazing. I'm totally consumed by the game in the same way I was by BotW and Dark Souls, I just want to go home and play this.

So far the only annoying part has been
the flying section in the bottom left corner of Greenpath, having to do blind dashes is dumb.
I quit last night after dying there a few times, I'll need to go back tonight.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got my second skill
Dash

Sorry but how do you get more Charm Notches (is that correct?) so I could equip more abilities?

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
There are a few places to find.

Did you do the abyss? There's also the white palace, and all the DLC stuff which I never did on release, so I can't speak much about it.

The real ending is worth figuring out, however.
I don't think I did any of that. Right now I'm trying to beat
Grey Prince Zote
but he had way too much health. I think I need a better weapon. Idk where to go for most of that stuff. I'll figure it out, I supposed.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I'm now in some forest level. But again, I'm not having a clear sense of progression, I'm not sure if I'm closer towards that goal, or what to do to get there

This is my first type of game like this, people say it's like dark souls, I have not even played dark souls lol

sheesh, do you need everything laid out to you with clear goals and markers were to go? just enjoy the game, have fun and don´t ask yourself too many questions along the way...it´s just oldschool game design, enjoy the journey like Link would .-)

I dunno people say the main game takes 30-40 hours. I'm about to hit hour 17 and I don't think there is much left to do for the story
I've got two of the three dreamers (deepnest and city of tears), am heading for the 3rd one, and afaik the only places on the map I've not been are behind those black energy walls I still can't deal with

if you want to do 100% with all challenges, DLC and hidden stuff it will easily take 30h...when you are at the end you will see how many % you have achieved. There is even a "true final boss" in this game.

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't be afraid to get a little lost. The game encourages exploration.
Oh, I'm lost alright already!

So i killed the first boss, and visited the shaman and got his spell, then i exited and found a tape telling me the vendor has a new map, returned to town, and the vendor doesn't have a new map, and i am not really sure where i should go next.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

So i killed the first boss, and visited the shaman and got his spell, then i exited and found a tape telling me the vendor has a new map, returned to town, and the vendor doesn't have a new map, and i am not really sure where i should go next.

It's just in case you missed him the first time round. In future if you beat the area boss without buying the map you can get it at the shop.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

you have many ways to go on your map. check all the ways you have there! just explore the game

God I thought Deepnest was bad enough but
the Collector in the Tower of Love. Goddamn.

i thought he was one of the easier bosses .-)

I'm officially addicted to this game. It has absolutely stellar level design. I'm amazed that I keep finding tiny tunnels that join up all the areas in an organic way. Could be one of my top 10 games ever and I'm not even finished. The amount of charm, personality and polish is blowing my mind.

i am playing games since 1989 and yep, this is one for the Top 10

jump on his head with the downward attack often and back off when he will jump

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just in case you missed him the first time round. In future if you beat the area boss without buying the map you can get it at the shop.

you have many ways to go on your map. check all the ways you have there! just explore the game

Thanks, so there is no wrong way to go? I just about to get on a plane, and wanted to lose myself for a few hours, as long as i can't go wrong, i think this game will tick that box!

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
omg, it feels so great to have nail arts! i thought i was really bad because some super common enemies were destroying me even with my super duper improved 3rd phase nail... but no! just use a nail art and they go with a puf! its so great agains those anoying flying pest!

one hit and thats it

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England

Yeah, Traitor Lord punishes mistakes heavily. First playthrough I struggled with it. I used the Sharp Shadow charm to keep dashing through and getting damage, then attacked when it did its dive attack. It was a matter of learning when to time the dash through with the Shade Cloak and doing it perfectly. It took me a while to master.

This playthrough I beat it without that, just kept dashing to the far side of the room, firing spells at it, then when it came close I jumped over its head getting a down slash or two in to get a bit more soul for more spells. It felt easy in comparison to having to time dashes perfectly.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I just finished the second boss and tried to to go down a little. Found a station, no map yet. I'm still not sure that where I'm supposed to go next.
At least I also found how to get new slots for skills so I'm going to work on that.
Such a charming (and stressful lol) game.

Also, isn't it nice to get advices here from :
2707.jpg

I feel like I'm still in the game on this OT lol.
That's nice.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Loving this game so far. Now that I have the dash and the claws the world has opened a lot and traversal is much faster/fun.
Thanks, so there is no wrong way to go? I just about to get on a plane, and wanted to lose myself for a few hours, as long as i can't go wrong, i think this game will tick that box!
You can only advance as far as your current skill set allows you. When you don't know where to go, open the map and look for areas you left unfinished, explore, unlock shortcuts, meet people bugs and have fun!

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
For some fights where you don't have that many openings to heal, don't sleep on the Shape of Unn charm (together with the Quick Focus charm is amazing). You can get it somewhat early depending on when you get a certain ability.

p0FTaFo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.