Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying this after finishing the main story about a year ago and, of course, it still rules. One of the great things about this game is how easy it is to notice your own inprovement as a player. It feels great stomping these bosses that killed me over and over on my first run.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Yeah, I was referring to swimming, as I've seen some places that would only be accessible by submerging oneself in the water (I guess).
ah
for the missing abilities, it's best to assume that you've already been to the places where you can find them, but you required another ability to progress further, which you may or may not have yet (I really don't know). If you want me to be a little more specific I can point you to a general direction

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah. i just see no point in doing it this way. i could stomach buying maps in the city but finding that dude is tedious. i would give this an 8.5/10 with normal map mechanics but this way it's a 6/10. way too much time spent wandering around not knowing where to go next.
Finding the guy who sells the mapparts isn't that hard. Normally around the area he's in there's parchment lying around and as soon you're in the same area you hear him humming. There is exactly one area so far I can't access him yet in.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to a boss where I am just getting my ass completely handed to me.

The Traitor Lord is absolutely destroying me. This thing feels so incredibly punishing. The fact that every swing takes two health and that there is never a window to heal hurts. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

It's challenging for sure. You can heal during the shockwave attack and follow-up, probably even without Quick Focus once you learn the spacing of his attacks, but it's not easy.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Finding the guy who sells the mapparts isn't that hard. Normally around the area he's in there's parchment lying around and as soon you're in the same area you hear him humming. There is exactly one area so far I can't access him yet in.

well i haven't found him yet and since i have terrible sense of direction i have been walking in circles for like 5 hours now.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Still wrapping up. Yesterday I beat the WP and PoP. The last section of PoP... so many tries. I know those parts get a lot of dislike, but I really enjoyed them. Now to finish up the game this week!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
well i haven't found him yet and since i have terrible sense of direction i have been walking in circles for like 5 hours now.
Terrible sense of direction doesn't mesh will with Metroidvania games I guess. Not really the fault of the game though.
I don't know in what area you are or have been last but if you get into a room with different ways out just remember how that room looks and go into every direction for a bit from there and try to remember what ways you've already taken.
If you see parchment on the floor stop and make that your next point from where to branch off and return to if the paper trail stops.
I've uncovered 7 different parts of the map without much of an issue and only once in 12 hours did I not know where to go next, but that was only because I had 3 different parts of the map I've not been to yet.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I went so long wandering around between finding my second and third map. By the time I found my way back to the shop in town there was another map waiting for me to buy for the area I passed through. I felt so dirty buying it instead of finding it proper but I did it anyway. Looking at my coverage after the fact though, I must have gotten really unlucky, I had that area ~80% discovered anyway.

But yeah just unlocked the:
mega man x wall jump
And it feels so good. I'm hooked.

Game so far though is not too much of a challenge. The spiky shelled bugs that go back and forth across the green water you need to bounce off of has been the most annoying thing.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I just lost 3k coin in some ridiculous platforming area last night but other than that this game is amazing.

I've got to be pretty far along but those black barriers are driving me nuts, must keep exploring for the ability to cross those.

Is it the one with flying bugs in the Queen's Gardens? Tried that yesterday and that's the first non-boss section in the game that gave me real trouble.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the one with flying bugs in the Queen's Gardens? Tried that yesterday and that's the first non-boss section in the game that gave me real trouble.

I don't think so I'm pretty sure I cleared that area without too much issue.

I think it's in the deep place, you have to bounce on top of moving centipedes and it's one of the most frustrating spots I've ever played.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Finally got the
Shade Cloak
after already getting the normal/bad ending. It's kinda frustrating that you can easily just completely miss important abilities for so long, but I guess that's also a strength of the game to let you play through it differently than other people.

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
Just discovered
the banker . I was a little hesitant to deposit all my coins

i would wait a bit
until you dont have any urgent need for money, and then deposit the maximum amount at once. its better that way >_< (trust me)

i just have to laugh myself out when i read certain diary/novel. its incredible that the story is progressing! this romance is too big for that little space! XD

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, the boss run back to H___ Kn___ seems broken.

Apparently spoiler tags don't work on iOS9.

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
Did I miss something by making a small deposit? I've just been putting small amounts in whenever I'm in the area
on short term you may need the money now. so unless you die A LOT without being able to recover your spirit i would just refrain from doing that.
there is a window of oportunity between 2000po and 4500po where is better to have the maximum in the bank for further profit. but is just as simple as not reaching 2000 saved until you are ready to deposit all at once

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
nah, starting to save early is never a bad idea
on short term you may need the money now. so unless you die A LOT without being able to recover your spirit i would just refrain from doing that.
there is a window of oportunity between 2000po and 4500po where is better to have the maximum in the bank for further profit. but is just as simple as not reaching 2000 saved until you are ready to deposit all at once
Ah okay, I found it kind of pointless since I have yet to lose my spirit and it isn't all that convenient to get to atm. I won't worry about it, thanks!

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
One bit of design I found smart was limiting your total soul amount if you have spirit out there.

Which affects you in the moment to moment as long as you haven't recollected.

Otherwise i'd just treat the spirit as like "Cool, I have X cash banked in that room. I'll come back for it when I need it."

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
How is the Switch performance for
colosseum of fools

I know it has known to be a bit taxing on some PCs

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
May be one of the best metroidvanias ever. If not THE best. It is continuously astounding me, both with the graphics and music, along with the sublime gameplay.

Truly a gem of a game, and probably one of my top 5 games of the last 10 years. Easily

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
One bit of design I found smart was limiting your total soul amount if you have spirit out there.

Which affects you in the moment to moment as long as you haven't recollected.

Otherwise i'd just treat the spirit as like "Cool, I have X cash banked in that room. I'll come back for it when I need it."

Unless you die again and that cash is gone forever. Probably not the best banking system lol

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I just started playing again, I stopped when I got the ground pound ability (a long time ago) and I'm now a little lost but exploring Deepnest.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
colosseum of fools

Played through all 3 trials over the weekend and didn't notice any dips in performance.

Edit:
Worth noting that, having now finished just about everything in the Switch version (currently at 105% completion), I didn't see a single major performance issue throughout my entire 25 hour run. Small drops here and there and the occasional loading screen that lasts just a little bit long. I did however run into one unhandled exception throwing me back to the Switch dashboard, which happened during the very last boss. Otherwise it's a really outstanding port.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
colosseum of fools

I just went through all three levels and didn't see a single issue. I'm not super sensitive to frame drops though and I was kinda focused on the whole not dying thing.

There is one section in the third level that really gave me trouble
when you have to stay on the walls/air giving you no opportunity to heal
but I somehow managed it.

Overall I haven't really noticed any issues with performance throughout the game, and I'm about 30 hours and 95%.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Played through all 3 trials over the weekend and didn't notice any dips in performance.

I just went through all three levels and didn't see a single issue. I'm not super sensitive to frame drops though and I was kinda focused on the whole not dying thing.

There is one section in the third level that really gave me trouble
when you have to stay on the walls/air giving you no opportunity to heal
but I somehow managed it.

Overall I haven't really noticed any issues with performance throughout the game, and I'm about 30 hours and 95%.

Really great to hear, thanks.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the
White Palace
Christ that was intense! This game became Meat Boy for awhile there. Luckily I brought that regeneration charm otherwise I'd have been stuck there for days. I also found some optional path and noped out of there real fast when it looked like I needed to down slash to bounce my way through. What's the reward for going back and finishing that path?

I like this game. 96% through now so I'm almost there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the
White Palace
Christ that was intense! This game became Meat Boy for awhile there. Luckily I brought that regeneration charm otherwise I'd have been stuck there for days. I also found some optional path and noped out of there real fast when it looked like I needed to down slash to bounce my way through. What's the reward for going back and finishing that path?

I like this game. 96% through now so I'm almost there.

Not sure it's worth the hours of frustration but

you get a journal entry and a short cutscene

Y'all should watch out with the bank.
you may find out it's suddenly no longer there

Eh, that's not a permanent problem though.

plus it's pretty satisfying getting all your money back

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
One thing that im noticing playing the switch version is the sounds, I dont know if things have changed from the PC version but im finding myself noticing all these new sounds that I havent noticed on PC, and I was playing the PC version just a day ago.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
True,
and you get back more than you put in anyway, but for first time players it may be a bit disconcerning to suddenly have the bank run away.

I'd argue that that's part of the magic of this game though.

Unexpected things like that cause you to expect the unexpected everywhere. Or just up your anxiety level. Either way it leaves a more lasting impact.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I got it when it came out and althogh I am liking it, I am really not seeing the praise.

The game is good, but as far a metrodivanias go I feel that Axiom Verge was better at the point I am in. I am sure this will change as I just got the wall jump ability.

I guess my complaints come from not getting that many abilities as I expected and the store/upgrades don't seem to be all that. I like when meotridvanias spend the initial hours giving you some of the tools you need while at the same time(if available) gives you good enough upgrades so that you feel compelled to explore more. It seems missing to some extend here. I remember being at a point where I had like 2k coins and nothing to buy.

I have some issues with the map system too. I feel like maps in these games are important and the way it works is not the best.

I am still having fun and will keep going for sure, but I went in with multiple people saying this was the best metroidvania they've played and it seems a bit much at this point.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
it's not a boss, but how do you defeat those two mushroom thingies that spew acid

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I got it when it came out and althogh I am liking it, I am really not seeing the praise.

The game is good, but as far a metrodivanias go I feel that Axiom Verge was better at the point I am in. I am sure this will change as I just got the wall jump ability.

I guess my complaints come from not getting that many abilities as I expected and the store/upgrades don't seem to be all that. I like when meotridvanias spend the initial hours giving you some of the tools you need while at the same time(if available) gives you good enough upgrades so that you feel compelled to explore more. It seems missing to some extend here. I remember being at a point where I had like 2k coins and nothing to buy.

I have some issues with the map system too. I feel like maps in these games are important and the way it works is not the best.

I am still having fun and will keep going for sure, but I went in with multiple people saying this was the best metroidvania they've played and it seems a bit much at this point.
If you just got the wall jump, then you're very early, so there's plenty of time left for things to ramp up and your opinion to change. That being said, certain mechanics like the map work the way they do because the game really wants to preserve a sense of mystery and, consequently, discovery. If you're not feeling the lack of handholding and exploring for the sake of exploring, then that unfortunately isn't likely to change as the game goes on.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

When I got the walljump ability I was able to just wander and explore aimlessly for hours. It will get a lot better then. And as you explore you will find more things to spend geos on.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry for popping in without reading most of the thread, but has there been any word on whether a physical copy is also on the way? If it's unlikely to happen, I don't mind picking this up digitally—but I'll also be annoyed if I do so and a cartridge ends up getting released later.

Status
Not open for further replies.