• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Glad to finally be in on the hype, playing on PS4 right now. I don't think I'm very far, just finished up City of Tears and killed that boss in Soul Sanctum. The guy at the starting town told me to go "beyond the graveyard" but to the right was only that lady in the cave, so went up and left to the Howling Cliffs or whatever they're called. Man I love how different all the areas in this game feel. City of Tears was a big fuckin mood.

Not sure on where to go next (I'm playing without a guide) but will probably dick around these cliffs and try to make sure I can't get past that weird wind tunnel thing on the left side and then maybe go and find somewhere else to go. That spin slash I got seems useful too!

Had a load of fun. Went down to the Fungal Wastes, went all the way down to the place with all the big worms and spiders and got the tram pass, got caught in the "beast's den" or whatever it was with the fake bench (but didn't see the actual beast?)

Had some really REALLY close calls, trying to beat those big shielded spiders with one heart, trying to not lose my precious Geo. It felt super tense and like I was really exploring the world. Glad I'm doing it without a guide.

Anyway after that I managed to clear out all the vendors and have been going through Crystal Peak. I accidentally got the Dream Nail really quick (i have no idea what it does or how I can use it, I guess it just displays the thoughts of enemies) but I guess I'm going to keep exploring here. I also found King's Station so I guess that's the next area. I see that "Dreamers" are added to my map and assume they have something to do with the Black Egg shrine or whatever it's called.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Bruh... I bailed out of PoP without reaching the first checkpoint. And you did it with fucking keyboard? You shitting me? XD
Yeah... My controller broke down a couple of months ago so I've played through the whole game keyboard-style, it was weird at first but now I'm so used to it I think it would feel weird playing the game with a controller lol.

Anyways, I've completed Path of Pain! My last run was almost flawless, it felt pretty good. Next comes NKG, I've just beat the first battle with him on my 2nd try, it was punishing, but nothing too demanding, a fun battle overall. By the sounds of it I'm in for a wild ride once I kill the last batch of those fire bastards scattered around the map, pray for me hahaha.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
man I haven't touched this since the night I beat Pantheon of Hallownest. i want to come back and finish platting it but i'm worried that two months off mighta made me forget everything, and i still have all the steel soul achievements ahead of me

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
man I haven't touched this since the night I beat Pantheon of Hallownest. i want to come back and finish platting it but i'm worried that two months off mighta made me forget everything, and i still have all the steel soul achievements ahead of me

My break was ~4 months and I managed to do Steel Soul and the Speed Runs. For Steel Soul, I just used the Start -> Quit trick whenever I was at risk of dying. Pretty safe strategy, if you remember to quit at 1 or 2 Health depending on the enemy.

I also admitted defeat recently and used an invincibility glitch to beat the Pantheons. Would have never been able to complete them otherwise, because I barely managed to get past the 2nd one. :/

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Had a load of fun. Went down to the Fungal Wastes, went all the way down to the place with all the big worms and spiders and got the tram pass, got caught in the "beast's den" or whatever it was with the fake bench (but didn't see the actual beast?)

Had some really REALLY close calls, trying to beat those big shielded spiders with one heart, trying to not lose my precious Geo. It felt super tense and like I was really exploring the world. Glad I'm doing it without a guide.

Anyway after that I managed to clear out all the vendors and have been going through Crystal Peak. I accidentally got the Dream Nail really quick (i have no idea what it does or how I can use it, I guess it just displays the thoughts of enemies) but I guess I'm going to keep exploring here. I also found King's Station so I guess that's the next area. I see that "Dreamers" are added to my map and assume they have something to do with the Black Egg shrine or whatever it's called.

Yeah I'm gonna platinum this. Beat the game with about 70% done, then started my real journey. Found the Abyss and got the new dash so I think I have everything i need to get across the entire map. Beat Hornet for the second time (gg ezpz). About to fight the Grimm Troupe guy.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So, when I die I need to come back to get my "money" back, right? I killed some bosses (I guess) but now some of them appear to be "pre-bosses" (need to kill them before killing a new boss), if I understood correctly after I kill a boss it doesn't respawn anymore in that location, yup?

I only played one hour but had a lot of fun, it is infuriating to lose life to some stupid bugs and learning patterns and how to kill enemies is fun. At first I thought it was stupid to have the option to mark stuff on the map, but now I already think I should buy those markers lol.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
So, when I die I need to come back to get my "money" back, right? I killed some bosses (I guess) but now some of them appear to be "pre-bosses" (need to kill them before killing a new boss), if I understood correctly after I kill a boss it doesn't respawn anymore in that location, yup?

I only played one hour but had a lot of fun, it is infuriating to lose life to some stupid bugs and learning patterns and how to kill enemies is fun. At first I thought it was stupid to have the option to mark stuff on the map, but now I already think I should buy those markers lol.
1) Yes, it's like Dark Souls in that way. If you die, you have to return to your ghost and defeat it to get your money back.
2) That large enemy isn't a boss, you'll know when you hit a boss. Bosses won't respawn.
3) buy markers later when you have the extra cash. They'll come in handly long term. Each marker gives you multiple (like 5-6) pins to use.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
So... Trial of fool has ruined this game for me. Probably tried 50+ times and still cannot make it past the aerial section with the spikes. Tried every strategy I've read on the internet, watched tons of youtube videos... it doesn't help. Basically I need to complete this to 100% - every other challenge in the game has been manageable, but just cannot do this. About to give up - and don't know if I want to continue playing.

Just venting and being salty - but this is the most infurating thing I've ever played in a video game.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
if you're just trying to get literally 100%, there are other ways to hit that because you can overshoot the 100% mark by a fair amount with other stuff. if you mean literally doing everything in the game, i'm surprised you're having more trouble with that than with some of the Pantheons

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
if you're just trying to get literally 100%, there are other ways to hit that because you can overshoot the 100% mark by a fair amount with other stuff. if you mean literally doing everything in the game, i'm surprised you're having more trouble with that than with some of the Pantheons

I think it simply comes down to I am not ambidexterous enough to focus on fighting off the wall and not fall on the spikes. Its the first time I think this is literally impossible for me to beat something in a video game.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this yesterday, and I've liked it thus far - although it was nicer once I got the map from Cornifer and bought the compass and quill.
Just defeated False Knight on my first try, but I guess I shouldn't get to confident.
Is there an option for a ranged attack down the road? I saw a bug with a hard shell that I can't attack once I get close.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this yesterday, and I've liked it thus far - although it was nicer once I got the map from Cornifer and bought the compass and quill.
Just defeated False Knight on my first try, but I guess I shouldn't get to confident.
Is there an option for a ranged attack down the road? I saw a bug with a hard shell that I can't attack once I get close.

Yep. If you want to know where to get it:

Proceed to the left of the False Knight room.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

I felt like the game was just "okay" until I beat the second boss and unlocked the first two traversal moves. Then I was hooked entirely and loved it.

It doesn't help that the first area, the Crossroads, is largely the most bland as well.

Keep at it for a bit and the game gets exponentially better.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm 30 hours into this and have just done the 3rd and final
sleeper boss thing
to open the
black egg

So far I've been playing blind so wanted to know if there is anything I need to do to get the best ending before going into the
egg

Is there a spoiler free guide anywhere?

Also how does the DLC work for this game, do you need to activate any of it or is it best doing any before the end of the game?

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 30 hours into this and have just done the 3rd and final
sleeper boss thing
to open the
black egg

So far I've been playing blind so wanted to know if there is anything I need to do to get the best ending before going into the
egg

Is there a spoiler free guide anywhere?

Also how does the DLC work for this game, do you need to activate any of it or is it best doing any before the end of the game?
Don't know anything about a spoiler-free guide, but yes, it's likely that you need to do more to get the best ending. Note that you can always reload the save after getting a different ending and get the requirements later. If you want to know what those requirements are...

You need to know more about your nature.
To do that, you'll need an upgraded Dream Nail. And are you freely able to explore Fog Canyon, by chance?
Do you know enough about the rulers of Hallownest? You should investigate.
Two rulers, two halves. Have to assemble two halves of a charm, then pay the Abyss a visit. Shade Cloak and an Awoken Dream Nail are the prerequisites to finding them.
One half is in the Queen's Gardens. You'll need the Shade Cloak from the Abyss to get past those black gates blocking it. The other half is in the White Palace; upgrade your Dream Nail to "Awoken" and use it on that armored corpse in the Ancient Basin to get in (and then, prepare for Hell on earth). After you've assembled the pieces together into a charm, investigate the Abyss until you've found your birthplace. After an event happens, you'll be ready, and you'll have the option of getting the best ending once you've ventured into the black egg.

The DLC content that isn't already intermingled with your gameplay have their own activation switches. I'd definitely recommend doing them after you've already faced the ending, for a variety of reasons.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else get their Wanderer's Journal? It's an absolutely beautiful piece of work. I haven't completed the game yet so I'm having to resist the temptation to look at the later areas!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't know anything about a spoiler-free guide, but yes, it's likely that you need to do more to get the best ending. Note that you can always reload the save after getting a different ending and get the requirements later. If you want to know what those requirements are...

You need to know more about your nature.
To do that, you'll need an upgraded Dream Nail. And are you freely able to explore Fog Canyon, by chance?
Do you know enough about the rulers of Hallownest? You should investigate.
Two rulers, two halves. Have to assemble two halves of a charm, then pay the Abyss a visit. Shade Cloak and an Awoken Dream Nail are the prerequisites to finding them.
One half is in the Queen's Gardens. You'll need the Shade Cloak from the Abyss to get past those black gates blocking it. The other half is in the White Palace; upgrade your Dream Nail to "Awoken" and use it on that armored corpse in the Ancient Basin to get in (and then, prepare for Hell on earth). After you've assembled the pieces together into a charm, investigate the Abyss until you've found your birthplace. After an event happens, you'll be ready, and you'll have the option of getting the best ending once you've ventured into the black egg.

The DLC content that isn't already intermingled with your gameplay have their own activation switches. I'd definitely recommend doing them after you've already faced the ending, for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for this!

I read the first few hints but quoting the message to reply actually shows them all, which sucks, but oh well!

I played 30 hours blind so I'm ok with getting the good/true ending now by any means possible

I'm on 1,500 essence so 300 to go, I tried to beat the dream version of the Soul Sanctum boss but got fed up as the windows you have to attack are so short, so I'll probably look for some more trees or graves and get it that way

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Anybody else get their Wanderer's Journal? It's an absolutely beautiful piece of work. I haven't completed the game yet so I'm having to resist the temptation to look at the later areas!

Awesome. Mine is coming in late this month. International shipping seems to be at the end of June. How's the art and bits of lore of the sections you've read? Full hardback right?

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Mine is coming in late this month. International shipping seems to be at the end of June. How's the art and bits of lore of the sections you've read? Full hardback right?
Hmmm I figured I'd be "international shipping" myself as I'm in the UK, so maybe you'll get it earlier than you think? But yeah it's perfectly in tone with the lore of the game and the art is, of course, beautiful. Full hardback :)

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.

Already tempting to get with the Collectors Edition from FanGamer but the shipping cost for LatAm is obnoxious... might try using a freight foward service but can't expect a low cost for the bundle (roughly 130usd)... :/

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Hello guys, I need help! I started playing hollow knight several months ago but my computer broke and my job took all my free time and it's been almost half a year since I touched it.

I want to go back to it but don't want to start from the beggining, is there any way to know where I should go next or what I'm missing?

I know I didn't finish the coliseum and I remember it was near the top right of the map.

I think my last death was trying to kill Hornet, or I did kill her.

I also remember that I started searching for stuff with the dream blade.

And I think there was some bosses scattered through the map after some kind of activation of a quest on the top left of the map...

I have yet to download it again, is there any pictures I can take to help you guys help me to discover where to go or what I should focus next?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok so I'm at the end of the game and I'm trying to beat
The Radiance
and holy shit is it hard

Are there any tips or is there generally a good strategy?

I've got to the part with the platforms twice in about 20 attempts and I've died within 20 seconds of that phase each time

I went and upgraded by up magic spell so I've tried a few runs spamming that but after an hour or so or trying I've given up for the night

Am I at least close to the end?

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I'm at the end of the game and I'm trying to beat
The Radiance
and holy shit is it hard

Are there any tips or is there generally a good strategy?

I've got to the part with the platforms twice in about 20 attempts and I've died within 20 seconds of that phase each time

I went and upgraded by up magic spell so I've tried a few runs spamming that but after an hour or so or trying I've given up for the night

Am I at least close to the end?

You are very close to the end of the boss.

I'd say focus on dodging attacks and try not to get greedy with attacking. Every one of its attacks can be dodged and you don't really have time to heal once you get to the platform stage. Use charms that increase your damage output with the nail or magic depending on your playstyle.

After you beat the boss, look into the free DLC content which you should google to learn how to access.

I think my last death was trying to kill Hornet, or I did kill her.

And I think there was some bosses scattered through the map after some kind of activation of a quest on the top left of the map...
If you did beat her, revisit the Ancient Basin.

Maybe take a screen of your map to show, what bosses appeared. I suspect you triggered the Grimm Troupe DLC or that are still the guardians.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You are very close to the end of the boss.

I'd say focus on dodging attacks and try not to get greedy with attacking. Every one of its attacks can be dodged and you don't really have time to heal once you get to the platform stage. Use charms that increase your damage output with the nail or magic depending on your playstyle.

After you beat the boss, look into the free DLC content which you should google to learn how to access.

God damn it, I spent another hour trying to beat it, and I got to the final platforming stage once

It's annoying in that it seems random and when I do well it's just luck. Some combinations of boss attacks just seem impossible to dodge without knowing what's happening in advance

When I do well it's just luck

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
God damn it, I spent another hour trying to beat it, and I got to the final platforming stage once

It's annoying in that it seems random and when I do well it's just luck. Some combinations of boss attacks just seem impossible to dodge without knowing what's happening in advance

When I do well it's just luck

You could try one of those loadouts that converts all your health into 15+ lifeblood masks. It's not like you're gonna have time to heal anyway. Other than that, shade dash or pogo to avoid attacks, and use your soul on abyss shriek when possible.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You could try one of those loadouts that converts all your health into 15+ lifeblood masks. It's not like you're gonna have time to heal anyway. Other than that, shade dash or pogo to avoid attacks, and use your soul on abyss shriek when possible.

I did it just now, I think my save file was on 36 hours before I got to the egg, it ended up being 40.5, so a large part of my play through was this boss

Now I want to check out some lore videos to figure out what the hell just happened

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I did it just now, I think my save file was on 36 hours before I got to the egg, it ended up being 40.5, so a large part of my play through was this boss

Now I want to check out some lore videos to figure out what the hell just happened

Congrats on beating it! If you can believe it, there are some dlc bosses that will make that one look easy.

Mossbag on YouTube has some of the best lore videos. They're quite funny too!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Congrats on beating it! If you can believe it, there are some dlc bosses that will make that one look easy.

Mossbag on YouTube has some of the best lore videos. They're quite funny too!

I just watched a load of those actually

I also looked up what you need to do to get the other 2 endings and I don't think I have that in me

Looking forward to Silksong though

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I need a bit of advice.

I finished the western part of the City of Tears and the Soul Sanctum, and went to explore Crystal Peak. I got the crystal thing that lets you cross big distances and the upgrade to the spell (the descending dark, I think it is).

I don't know where to go now, though. I checked my map and I know I can either go to the Royal Waterway or to the Deepnest, but that particular area gives me the creeps. I'm not missing anything important by skipping the Deepnest now, and going to the waterway? Or should I just get some courage and explore it now?

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
If you did beat her, revisit the Ancient Basin.

Maybe take a screen of your map to show, what bosses appeared. I suspect you triggered the Grimm Troupe DLC or that are still the guardians.

I don't know if this helps or if you need some area specific prints. I really need some direction on where to go next, specially to progress the history and finish the game, I can look on how to tackle the DLC stuff later.

Btw, I've tried again a couple of times and lost to that boss from city of tears.

D7xlBc9.jpg

051qPYy.jpg

387frzN.jpg

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017

I finished the western part of the City of Tears and the Soul Sanctum, and went to explore Crystal Peak. I got the crystal thing that lets you cross big distances and the upgrade to the spell (the descending dark, I think it is).

I don't know where to go now, though. I checked my map and I know I can either go to the Royal Waterway or to the Deepnest, but that particular area gives me the creeps. I'm not missing anything important by skipping the Deepnest now, and going to the waterway? Or should I just get some courage and explore it now?

Explore Crystal Peak some more. Particularly
the area to the bottom right
. Remember, there are no bottomless pits in this game. If you want the exact location
drop down the gap before you get the upgrade for descending dark.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

There's a lot of good stuff in Deepnest unfortunately. I dislike spiders so that area also creeped me out as well but it's worth it to explore. For now you're fine going with the previous advice given to you though.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Explore Crystal Peak some more. Particularly
the area to the bottom right
. Remember, there are no bottomless pits in this game. If you want the exact location
drop down the gap before you get the upgrade for descending dark.
Yeah, I forgot to mention I already explored the resting grounds! Got the nail already.
I decided to leave Deepnest for later, I tried to go in but it truly creeped me out.

Btw, I've tried again a couple of times and lost to that boss from city of tears.
You don't have to beat him right now, feel free to save him for later.

Beat Hornet in Kingdom's Edge to get the crest, then go back to Ancient Basin. You will able to enter a new area there.
After that you can go to the boss you see on the map right above Fungal Wastes.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great freaking game, though I'm kinda ashamed that it took me 2 hours to beat the
The Radiance.

Managed to get 100% completion at least. Guess Nightmare Grimm, Path of Pain, Trial of Fools, and Godmaster don't count, cause screw that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Managed to get 100% completion at least. Guess Nightmare Grimm, Path of Pain, Trial of Fools, and Godmaster don't count, cause screw that

Game goes above 100% with the free dlc content. Up to 112% iirc. If you managed to get to 100 without doing trial of fools it's because you did some of the dlc content instead, probably hive knight and parts of the Grimm troupe (which I would also guess means you missed some of the ghost miniboss fights too, as they're worth 1% each).

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game goes above 100% with the free dlc content. Up to 112% iirc. If you managed to get to 100 without doing trial of fools it's because you did some of the dlc content instead, probably hive knight and parts of the Grimm troupe (which I would also guess means you missed some of the ghost miniboss fights too, as they're worth 1% each).
I beat Grimm and attempted Nightmare a few dozen times before giving up, so if those ghost miniboss fights are what you are referring to then I did do it. I also did the Hive.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Grimm and attempted Nightmare a few dozen times before giving up, so if those ghost miniboss fights are what you are referring to then I did do it. I also did the Hive.

Not those, you know how you find some random spirits of bugs floating around that let you challenge them to fights?

Ones that look like this :
HJ_Galien.png

Given that you've done grimme troupe up to NKG, you're missing 4-5% of the base game 100% would be. 1 of those is trial of fools, I suspect the others are ghosts you might not have found or upgrades you missed somewhere.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Not those, you know how you find some random spirits of bugs floating around that let you challenge them to fights?

HJ_Galien.png

Given that you've done grimme troupe up to NKG, you're missing 4-5% of the base game 100% would be. 1 of those is trial of fools, I suspect the others are ghosts you might not have found or upgrades you missed somewhere.

Really dig those fights. Just took down that fella above a couple nights ago.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

HJ_Galien.png

Yeah, I looked up and did most of them (maybe all of them, not sure) so I could get enough dream essence for the awoken nail. Fully upgraded the nail and got all charms and full soul and health.

So yeah, I probably missed a couple ghosts alongside trial of fools.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared the first ending, hopefully things aren't too obscure for finding the others. I know I'm super late to this realization, but Hollow Knight does such a great job keeping things open without leaving you clueless on where to go next. I'm real happy I finally sat down to play it.

V3yaffH.png

Here's hoping that remaining 33% (and DLC) is just as good!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The
White Palace
is fantastic.

One of the things I was hoping for more of was platforming challenges. The game controls well and you have all these powerful traversal abilities, but I didn't find a lot of areas that really put you through the wringer. This location is just what I wanted.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So I beat Nightmare King Grimm after a lot of attempts. Honestly, he's a perfect example of how easier it gets the more you fight. After a lot of times he's not that that hard.

Now I'm stuck against
The Radiance
. Having to evade tons of projectiles and attacks is my weakness, I just become confused with where I am and use the dash and double jump needlessly. I really prefer bosses like Grimm where they use one attack each time and you just need to react fast and know what to do.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the

Watcher Knights?

I have the nail updated to the Coiled version and had 6 masks (now I have 7). Those guys are wrecking me. I found the "trick" to bring down their number but whenever they tag team me I'm done for.