• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I barely use twitch. The only time I really use twitch is when there's a gaming conference going on since it's faster than Youtube, and occasionally I'll watch some VODS from some youtubers I like on twitch. However yesterday, I watched a non press conference twitch stream for the first time and holy shit at the the stream being interrupted mid stream for 2 unskippable ads, and then this happened every 20 minutes. This was such a terrible experience. I already wasn't a fan of Twitch but this made me dislike it even more. Why do people use this site???

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to TV (which is what the internet has become) and a free service. You're their product

Ads suck but idk where people think money comes from to run the site and pay creators.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been watching a bit of SF6 and it's fucking crazy. I get hit by 5 ads randomly mid match.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I barely use twitch. The only time I really use twitch is when there's a gaming conference going on since it's faster than Youtube, and occasionally I'll watch some VODS from some youtubers I like on twitch. However yesterday, I watched a non press conference twitch stream for the first time and holy shit at the the stream being interrupted mid stream for 2 unskippable ads, and then this happened every 20 minutes. This was such a terrible experience. I already wasn't a fan of Twitch but this made me dislike it even more. Why do people use this site???
People sub to their favorite channels and barely move on Twitch nowadays due to ads. That's how.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I basically have to run 3 minutes in a block every hour just to ensure there's as much broadcast time in between ads as possible. It's really difficult and inconvenient for everyone involved, streamers and viewers alike. It's still better than pre-roll ads, though.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

It depends on the channel's settings. You either have ads on entry to a stream, ads at set intervals mid stream, or manual ads mid stream.
It's a pick your poison issue. The last option is probably the better one as streamers who do that will often either take a break or pause so non-subs don't miss stuff. I'd still take ads on entry over random ones mid stream tho.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

People either watch one or a few streamers and can sub to them or prime them, they watch a lot of streamers and sub to Turbo or they just use a blocker

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind the ads that play when a streamer purposely activates them, but the 'now watching ads 1 out of 11' when you first click on a stream is the worst. Kills browsability.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I got ads mid-presentation during Max's stream over the course of SGF, which got annoying.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feel like they've lost their minds with the amount of ads they play sometimes. It just keeps creeping up. But there's not much in the way of alternatives, so I suppose they can get away with it.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes forget how bad the ads are since I mostly watch on browser with ad blockers. when i switch to mobile im amazed at how bad the experience is, often it pushes me to watch something else.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ads are completely understandable for a free service like Twitch. But getting hit with a pile of them the moment you visit a stream is completely asinine and only hurts the streamer.

There should never be ads during the first few minutes you visit a stream.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube can be pretty obnoxious too, especially if I'm using a smart TV app where I seem to be getting more and more unskippable ones right at the beginning (and then a couple more just a few minutes in sometimes), but it ain't nothing compared to Twitch.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to TV (which is what the internet has become) and a free service. You're their product

Ads suck but idk where people think money comes from to run the site and pay creators.
Well I don't watch TV anymore but at least when I used to they made sure to interrupt the content whenever the commercial break started.

Can you imagine watching a TV Show and they suddenly shove 90 seconds of ads down your throat, and when it comes back you just lost an important or funny scene because of it. That's what happens on Twitch, on top of greeting you with ads every time you dare visiting a new channel.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Twitch and youtube are unusable without ad/script blockers, I'm running 5 of them for those sites

Carcosan Stag

AVALANCHE
Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
The ads are indeed complete shit. I subbed to Twitch Turbo and never looked back. It's crap that I even need to do that, but otherwise the viewing experience is very poor overall.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I stopped using Twitch when they forced me to watch ads every single time I switched stream. Literally never go to the site anymore, it's ridiculous how intrusive and annoying they are.

naw

Oct 25, 2017
they've shut down pretty much every adblock alternative that a person could try at this point. before, there were ad solutions that were 100% foolproof. now, that is no longer the case

twitch knows that they've won the "war," so they're ramping up the ads now. the only real way to get around it is to purchase twitch turbo

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Remember a few small streamers (like 20 viewers) that had copies of video games early and streamed them.
Eg MW2.
they got 5k viewers and the first thing they do is putting on 8 unskippable ads every 10 mins.

barely watch twitch but the few streams I watch are ok with ADs though

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I basically stick to the couple of channels I sub to and that's it. Ads make idle browsing unbearable.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i stopped watching twitch too, the ads are insufferable. Alternative Twitch player sorta worked for a while but then stopped working too in blocking ads

its ok as background visuals (sound low) when i'm doing something else, like watching the MST3K or Rifftrax or Bob Ross streams but otherwise twitch is unusable now.

wonder how streamers are affected, most of the big guys seem fine but some of the smaller channels i have followed rarely stream anymore or their viewer numbers seem lower on my left bar

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've pruned my following list of streamers who are/were heavy on the ads. I'm not getting hit with 8 ads every 15-20 minutes. Sorry.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all don't like having 8 ads in a row during a cutscene or hype moment?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Main reason why I don't use Twitch anymore.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
Yeah… I was going to start watching some of Jeff Gerstmann's Twitch videos since I'm a fan of the podcast. I quickly noped out and deleted the app after seeing how the ads are like.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, was watching Twitch Rivals SF6 yesterday and now I can recite the Geico ads by memory lol.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
*goes to watch Max Dood and gets smacked by 9 ads where every 3rd one is the fucking Apple vr glasses*

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
That's why you use adblockers?

But yeah, everytime I stumble on a twitch stream on someone else's PC, the ads are a pain

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Pre-roll ads are absolutely terrible. "Oh, this stream looks cool, I'll check it o- BOOM FOUR 15 SECOND ADS" and then I close the tab.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Yup I never watch live videos on there. I'll watch the archived video. Just a bit behind but hey no ads

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I got pretty annoyed with it because it didn't seem to take into account the timing of the last ad I watched. If a stream lagged and I used a tool to refresh the stream, I'd get served ads again like I was just joining. If I saw an ad a short amount of time ago and switched to a different channel, I'd see another ad. I stopped regularly watching Twitch after that cause I used that refresh tool a lot to cut down on the stream delay when there was a hiccup. I only use it for conferences/events when its faster than YouTube now.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Try this
Like I only installed Firefox dev edition just to watch Twitch, it's worth the trouble as ads really got out of control on this platform, which hurts discoverability a lot.
The extension works great, though sometime you still get the hourly ads (the stream will freeze a bit beforehand), just reload and they'll be gone.
Pre-roll ads are absolutely terrible. "Oh, this stream looks cool, I'll check it o- BOOM FOUR 15 SECOND ADS" and then I close the tab.
I was seeing "1/8" ads and that just way too crazy.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
they've shut down pretty much every adblock alternative that a person could try at this point. before, there were ad solutions that were 100% foolproof. now, that is no longer the case

twitch knows that they've won the "war," so they're ramping up the ads now. the only real way to get around it is to purchase twitch turbo
I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I haven't had an ad while on a browser in years
Firefox+Ublock+Something else? not sure