Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Teh ads are wild, but pre-rolls are the absolute worst. It actively encourages you not to check out different streamers.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely ever watch Twitch streams either, but recently watched one and got hit by 2 rounds of 4 unstoppable ads in a span of 15 minutes. That is absolutely insane and just reaffirmed me in not using this shitty site again.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Teh ads are wild, but pre-rolls are the absolute worst. It actively encourages you not to check out different streamers.
To be honest they're the lesser of the two evils. With a pre-roll you know that you'll have 20-30 seconds to wait before being able to check out a stream and do something else during it, then get immunity from ads on that stream for a while, but without them turned on you can get hit with Ad 1 of 11 within the first couple of mins of watching a stream.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever been hit by more than 2-4 ads at a time. 9+ sounds absolutely bonkers. Is that a glitch, or a streamer who have their ads cranked to max?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I think Max is the biggest streamer I regularly watch and the ad segments are definitely getting out of hand (usually 5-6 ads for me, very annoying during the SGF shows). I've always used Ublock but it doesn't work here. It's not as bad with smaller streamers.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I dont use twitch much so i dont remember, do they not just ever have banner chyrons/ads on the bottom or the corner? Like they did back when watching fox in the 90s?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I dont use twitch much so i dont remember, do they not just ever have banner chyrons/ads on the bottom or the corner? Like they did back when watching fox in the 90s?

There are two types of ad banners on Twitch. One that appears below the stream and makes the stream smaller for like 30 seconds and then an other one that appears above chat only during an ad. The former has increased in frequency, while the latter is next to non-existant these days.

A recent partner survey apparently asked about banner position, size and etc., so I think those will become even more common.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't watch a lot of Twitch but I've never seen an ad, maybe Sweden doesn't get them?

I don't use a PC though, either my Google TV app or cast from my phone.

That said, I replaced Spotify with YouTube Premium years ago and it's the best subscription I've ever paid for.

TheExtra

May 14, 2020
That's why I use ad blockers.

Though, even those ad blockers end up failing at times due to Twitch constantly upping their anti-adblock game. Sometimes all I see are black screens for streams.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch ads are way out of hand now, google twitchadsolutions, ive been using the ublock script from there for a while now and havnt gotten a single ad.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ads are completely understandable for a free service like Twitch. But getting hit with a pile of them the moment you visit a stream is completely asinine and only hurts the streamer.

There should never be ads during the first few minutes you visit a stream.
yeah that shit is hella deflating if you just want to take a peek

essentially turns into a small waiting room when you enter a non-subbed stream

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
I don't use Twitch or any other gaming streaming thing, but the ads on YouTube are unbearable. They're long, unskippable, come up at the worst times and YOU EVEN HAVE TO WATCH AN AD TO GET TO FIRST AID VIDEOS

"Yeah sorry, I wanted to help the guy live, but I had to watch an ad on how some idiot became rich with Bitcoin before I could learn CPR"

Invest in first aid courses, because YouTube will not help you.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I signed up to twitch turbo just to get rid of ads. They don't promote Turbo at all because they want you subscribing to individual channels (which I also do for 2-3 channels). Twitch is what I literally call unusable without either Turbo or an ad blocker.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I signed up to twitch turbo just to get rid of ads. They don't promote Turbo at all because they want you subscribing to individual channels (which I also do for 2-3 channels). Twitch is what I literally call unusable without either Turbo or an ad blocker.
that was true, but now they promote it and increased the price by A LOT

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Just use an extension called "TTV LOL". It's an adblocker specifically for Twitch and it hasn't failed me so far. It's unlisted on the Firefox web store for some reason (though it still works if you already had it installed) but it's still there on the chrome web store.

For Android, use Twitch ReVanced..

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get bombarded with ads on my desktop but I never get ads via Chromecast or apps

I'm fine with 1 or 2 ads every hour

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching a stream the other day and I had to watch 9 ads in a row. I literally just shut down the app and did something else.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
Im only watching Twitch if there is a big tournament in Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, or Starcraft 2.

Im using S0undTV app on a Nvidia Shield tv pro and I have not seen a single ad since I started using it.

Regarding the amount of ads I'm not surprised it has gone this far.

It's the same with Youtube these days. It's all about making the absolute most money possible. Amazon/Google does not care if it ruins the viewer experience since they basically both have a monopoly with their product, and ultimately they want you to sign up to their paid subscription service instead of the free one (but with ads). The more people who sign up for the paid subscription service the better and more stable revenue for both companies, and in the end they can slowly raise the price for this to make even more money.

plastic love

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 19, 2019
Only run ads when you first join my stream, I'm earning pennies (if that) on ads so why bother.

It's not the default setting so joining other streams where I'm inundated with them is super frustrating. Checked the price of Turbo but it's way more expensive than I expected, and presumably doesn't come with free subs to channels?

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
maybe it's because i live in the philippines, but i very rarely get ads on twitch, and it almost never comes up in the middle of streams. it's only going to be a matter of time though for sure.

youtube ads when i'm on my phone are about as ridiculous as people say they are for twitch ads.

Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I use Adblock Plus on my browser (just for Twitch.tv). I legit do not remember the last time I saw ads.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just use an extension called "TTV LOL". It's an adblocker specifically for Twitch and it hasn't failed me so far. It's unlisted on the Firefox web store for some reason (though it still works if you already had it installed) but it's still there on the chrome web store.

For Android, use Twitch ReVanced..

Yep I've been using TTV LOL and haven't had an issue surprisingly. To be fair, I hardly watch twitch and when I do, I leave it up for rewards only to claim later.

I'm also super surprised that I was grandfathered in to the EVO channels years ago when I subbed to them with a Prime sub so I haven't had ads for a while now.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's why I generally don't watch anymore. They don't let you pop in to see if you even like the persons personality. You pop in and get hit with 6 ads. I miss when Twitch Prime have you no ads. I'd rather they not give me games I'm never gonna play and go back to no ads.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch twitch anymore because of the ads. Esports is basically dead now so I don't really see the need to tune in

procello

May 1, 2023
Yep, it's why I don't watch streams anymore outside of ones I'm subbed to. Tried to watch someone costreaming SGF, was immediately hit with 9 pre-roll ads. Got through two thirty second ones before I gave up.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch mobile is "broken" right now and doesn't have ads FWIW
Yeah a lot of times I don't have ads on mobile (iOS) on certain channels and even when it works, just putting PiP avoid the ads completely.

But I can't suggest people enough to use the link I used on my other post, Twitch is trying to fght proxies but the method still work flawlessly, because some countries just doesn't get ads at all.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Twitch is ads done as wrong as possible in most ways.

1) Ads occur on top of existing content and make you miss things. Could put ads on the side or picture in picture, and then run them more frequently, etc.
2) There is no warning that the ads are coming, or a gradual transition, just an insanely abrupt cut, often with poor volume equalization.
3) Ads are insanely repetitive as they do not have enough advertisers, so you watch the same ad dozens of times and just get mad at the advertiser.
4) Ad reels can be insanely long - 7x 30 second ads in a row? Are you kidding me?

Spot on

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I only really watch the couple streamers I'm subbed to. It's too hard to get into a new stream when you have to wait 30 seconds before you even get to see the stream

The ads are so repetitive too...

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
What sucks is I already don't like Twitch. I'm not much of a watcher of other people unless it's high level comp. Then suddenly you see ad 1 of 6….

gotta-go-gtg.gif

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't ever remember a day twitch worked well and that's before the increase in ads. I feel like it did me a favor in avoiding ever trying to interact with the platform beyond attempting to watch E3 etc for about 20 seconds before reverting to YouTube

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah given twitch is a live streaming platform the extremely intrusive way they break into content is outrageous.