TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
I barely use twitch. The only time I really use twitch is when there's a gaming conference going on since it's faster than Youtube, and occasionally I'll watch some VODS from some youtubers I like on twitch. However yesterday, I watched a non press conference twitch stream for the first time and holy shit at the the stream being interrupted mid stream for 2 unskippable ads, and then this happened every 20 minutes. This was such a terrible experience. I already wasn't a fan of Twitch but this made me dislike it even more. Why do people use this site???
Twitch just got into a bunch of heat from the streamers because they were gonna ban those ads.

Hazz3r

AVALANCHE
Nov 3, 2017
I barely use twitch. The only time I really use twitch is when there's a gaming conference going on since it's faster than Youtube, and occasionally I'll watch some VODS from some youtubers I like on twitch. However yesterday, I watched a non press conference twitch stream for the first time and holy shit at the the stream being interrupted mid stream for 2 unskippable ads, and then this happened every 20 minutes. This was such a terrible experience. I already wasn't a fan of Twitch but this made me dislike it even more. Why do people use this site???

Twitch is unusable without paying for Turbo.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Twitch trending downward with the user experience taught me I have no use for watching other people play videogames, outside of fighting game tournaments I can VOD later.

I'm certainly not going to pay for Turbo and reward them for their efforts.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
my biggest issue with ad is that it interupts the stream and yet when the ad is finish and stream resume, it litterally realtime skips the total ad duration. comeon, can you atleast put me on a vod timeline like the ad just paused the stream like how tv commerical does to the tv show?
and if i want to get back to real time stream, il just manual refresh the page to catch back up to the realtime stream.

Stiletto

Jan 4, 2023
I don't watch a lot of Twitch but I've never seen an ad, maybe Sweden doesn't get them?

I don't use a PC though, either my Google TV app or cast from my phone.

That said, I replaced Spotify with YouTube Premium years ago and it's the best subscription I've ever paid for.

Yep. Youtube Premium is a tv and music subscription all in one, with live streaming too for the big gaming events. People who adblock on youtube are more than justified to do so in my book (I think google will be ok) but I have zero problem paying for that service at its current price.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Wait twitch wanted to ban the ads but the streamers wanted to keep them?
No, Twitch was going to ban ads baked into the stream itself. Ad banners and streamers pitching products and splash screens during breaks and etc.

These involve the streamers negotiating directly with advertisers, so they typically get paid much more than they would from automated ad rolls. More importantly, Twitch doesn't get any money at all from that stuff, so they wanted to kill it.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Wait twitch wanted to ban the ads but the streamers wanted to keep them?
Sorry for the late response, but yes. As far as I know. Twitch wanted to ban those specific types of ads. Burned in video and audio ads. The backlash was immense and I think they walked it back.

www.ign.com

Twitch Crackdown on Creator Ads Sparks Calls for Boycotts and Protests - IGN

Twitch released new guidelines for branded content that are so restrictive content creators are calling for their peers to boycott the platform or leave it altogether.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I had to look up a specific ad blocker extension for Twitch after getting hit with twelve consecutive ads in the middle of a SF6 match. It's impossible to use the site otherwise. I use my Prime sub on my favorite streamer to support them and that's it.

I signed up to twitch turbo just to get rid of ads. They don't promote Turbo at all because they want you subscribing to individual channels (which I also do for 2-3 channels). Twitch is what I literally call unusable without either Turbo or an ad blocker.
After Twitch Prime was introduced they pretty much stopped advertising Twitch Turbo, to the point they stopped selling it in my country years ago.