• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Fictional black guy got his hands on a time machine. That's how. Apparently some things black people aren't supposed to own, like conceal carry permits. Before they get their hands on these things everyone is all hunky dory, but when the unexpected happens, some people get nervous.
white people everywhere know not to let a black person get ahold of a time machine.
They all know there is a top 3 of "what to do in case of time machine" and in no possible way does it end well for the status quo. It is just known.
They will wake up like "Who the fuck loaded up Save Game #2 ?" when they wake up in the Olde Country, gripping a pitchfork, and ducking a fat man on a horse with a club.

i think it actually boggles some peoples' minds that such a thing as a racial debt like that can exist.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Y'know I don't entirely disagree with the idea that time travel might be unethical if it existed in the real world, but also - and this is important - it doesn't

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
aEXtT2P.gif
Dawg what?! XD
Like sure, what the Syldat was saying was pretty out there (and I personally deep dive on the ethics of time travel can probably be done better with something that puts a little more effort into it than Mortal Kombat, which is more just like, using ending slavery as a kill hitler no brainer) but it feels kind of fucked up to me to kick someone who's down after they've been banned like that. How is this not antagonising another member? It's some high school bully shit. They're already gone.

1. I posted before the ban (which I actually think wasnt needed)

2. Dude had me on ignore since jump

3. Whole thread going in but we the bad guys? Okay..

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Some people going against this are completely insane.

Dude literally leaves the world in a better place than EVERY OTHER ENDING COMBINED but somehow "but what about the arabic slaves" (which by the way can be read as ending too)

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
How... How are there 30 pages on this. Surely it isn't mostly people complaining about the ending, right?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
How... How are there 30 pages on this. Surely it isn't mostly people complaining about the ending, right?

mostly it's just folks dunking on people complaining about the ending, but occasionally there were a few "wow this ending that's a minute and a half long doesn't delve into the ramifications of messing with the timeline enough"

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
No it's not semantics , my mom is a science physics teacher and since a very young age , I was reading about the stars , and how gravity influences the flow of time while my classmates were still reading dragon ball mangas .
I have taken the time to think about time travel for a very long time it is a deeply held core belief of mine and is part of my morality system . It has informed some of the decisions I have made in my life . And no me being against time travel and time shaping powers on principle doesn't preclude me to be against slavery and wanting to fight it back and prevent it , and it doesn't preclude me from enjoying time travel stories either .
I don't care you don't understand , you don't have to that's just how I work .
Time travel terrifies me should I be presented with being the owner of a device allowing me to do it I wouldn't trust myself around it and would want it away from me .
I also enjoy more the stories where time travel is acknowledge to be horrific than the happy go lucky ones acting as if it was nothing at all .
Now that I have layed down this notion for the umpteenth time anyone acting as if they are not understanding that is therefore purposedly trolling me .
I have explained myself enough as it is , now either learn to read or d.i.a.f
I don't think there is a single sentence within this that isn't worthy of mockery.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things to come out of this thread I can genuinely say with complete sincerity that someone arguing time travel is more more morally corrupt than slavery is not something I could have ever comprehended

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Oh what in the hell is going on in here? Last time I saw this thread had like 3 pages. Is Jax ending slavery THAT offensive to people? In Mortal Kombat of all things?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Like sure, what the Syldat was saying was pretty out there (and I personally deep dive on the ethics of time travel can probably be done better with something that puts a little more effort into it than Mortal Kombat, which is more just like, using ending slavery as a kill hitler no brainer) but it feels kind of fucked up to me to kick someone who's down after they've been banned like that. How is this not antagonising another member? It's some high school bully shit. They're already gone.
What the dude said is absolutely worthy of the mockery.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh what in the hell is going on in here? Last time I saw this thread had like 3 pages. Is Jax ending slavery THAT offensive to people? In Mortal Kombat of all things?
Nah. There was also some conversation about how using time travel to prevent atrocities was somehow worse than the atrocities.

You know, regular Era shit

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The thread exploded after someone tried to genuinely argue that time travel is more morally repugnant than slavery and from that point it just became a dunkfest

I think like 98% of people in this thread think the controversy is ridiculous and overblown

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's that rape game that got pulled from steam's announcements at like the 11th hour. I've already forgotten the name but, yeah, as you can guess it was pretty gross.
Thanks for the info. Crazy that someone would make such game. And did Valve even consider it to be released on Steam? (regarding what you say it being pulled in the last minute).

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Nah. There was also some conversation about how using time travel to prevent atrocities was somehow worse than the atrocities.

You know, regular Era shit
The thread exploded after someone tried to genuinely argue that time travel is more morally repugnant than slavery and from that point it just became a dunkfest

I think like 98% of people in this thread think the controversy is ridiculous and overblown

Yeah I just went back and read a few pages. It's uhhhh...yeah. This thread is gonna be legendary 😂

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Just had a galaxy brain thought: is it worth changing the timeline if it means song of the south no longer exists I mean obviously yes but I found the juxtaposition amusing considering the discussion in other threads

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Just had a galaxy brain thought: is it worth changing the timeline if it means song of the south no longer exists I mean obviously yes but I found the juxtaposition amusing considering the discussion in other threads

You have to consider the butterfly effect, though! With no Song of the South, what will happen to Splash Mountain?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
If I understand the question right then I'd say no -- they had like announcement pages and stuff but it was never made available for download, etc.
I see. I thought maybe you ment that Valve had approved the game for release to begin with, but changed their mind afterwards. Would be crazy is Valve allowed such sick game to be allowed on Steam.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I see. I thought maybe you ment that Valve had approved the game for release to begin with, but changed their mind afterwards. Would be crazy is Valve allowed such sick game to be allowed on Steam.

I think they were actually planning to, but stopped when people started (rightly) giving them shit over it. Valve has had...difficulties with developing a coherent moderation stance for sexual content.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this trailer and instantly thought about Thesyldat. This is not going to be a good week for that poster. So much time travel, so many atrocities.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ok Intentionally played this first to hear what all the fuss was about Jax's ending. I loved it! This is speaking as a person of color mind you. Not sure what the issue is here. It's not even like he said to kill all slave owners or anything like that just to remove slavery altogether like it never existed. I really love the intentions of his ending either way. Also it's not even canon! I just don't get what the issue is here. People that have issue with the ending are glad slavery existed?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok Intentionally played this first to hear what all the fuss was about Jax's ending. I loved it! This is speaking as a person of color mind you. Not sure what the issue is here. It's not even like he said to kill all slave owners or anything like that just to remove slavery altogether like it never existed. I really love the intentions of his ending either way. Also it's not even canon! I just don't get what the issue is here. People that have issue with the ending are glad slavery existed?

You should have seen this thread in its prime and the discussion behind the ethics in time traveling.

Many had proved themselves to be time-wasting Dragonball manga readers that day.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Does it explain how he did it? The video in the OP is gone.
I'm not interested in the MK fighting games but if they made a Spin-off where Jax time travels and punches slave traders in the face... that'd be pretty rad...
Can we get that please? It could be another controversial statement by game publishers.
First we had "nazi r bad" that ruffled the feathers of racists everywhere and now we can have the even more outrageous statement of "slavery r bad".
I can hear the closet racists screaming from here.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not interested in the MK fighting games but if they made a Spin-off where Jax time travels and punches slave traders in the face... that'd be pretty rad...
Can we get that please? It could be another controversial statement by game publishers.
First we had "nazi r bad" that ruffled the feathers of racists everywhere and now we can have the even more outrageous statement of "slavery r bad".

Beating arcade mode grants the winner access to the ability to rewrite time, erasing events, changing them, inserting them, whatever they want. Jax just says "Imagine slavery wasn't an idea lol" and it shows him in the new timeline, living with his family in what would be his ancestors country, flourishing.

He doesn't kill any slave owners or anything. He just rewrites time so the idea of slavery isn't a thing anymore. There's nothing controversial there at all.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

I'm curious as to how many posters here have gotten permabanned from this thread alone...

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not semantics , my mom is a science physics teacher and since a very young age , I was reading about the stars , and how gravity influences the flow of time while my classmates were still reading dragon ball mangas .
I have taken the time to think about time travel for a very long time it is a deeply held core belief of mine and is part of my morality system . It has informed some of the decisions I have made in my life . And no me being against time travel and time shaping powers on principle doesn't preclude me to be against slavery and wanting to fight it back and prevent it , and it doesn't preclude me from enjoying time travel stories either .
I don't care you don't understand , you don't have to that's just how I work .
Time travel terrifies me should I be presented with being the owner of a device allowing me to do it I wouldn't trust myself around it and would want it away from me .
I also enjoy more the stories where time travel is acknowledge to be horrific than the happy go lucky ones acting as if it was nothing at all .
Now that I have layed down this notion for the umpteenth time anyone acting as if they are not understanding that is therefore purposedly trolling me .
I have explained myself enough as it is , now either learn to read or d.i.a.f

This needs to become a new copy/pasta for time travel matters, stat.

It feels like reading the (I'm an expert) one during the FFXIII era all over again. :')

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, sorry. If you put your take out there and it needs to be called out, being banned doesn't auto-shield you from further replies.

It's not kicking when down, that's framing them as a victim when they're not. It's enforcing the notion that the view that saw them banned is bullshit, which is necessary.