Nov 18, 2018
All the screenshots in this game are making me want to play it again and I've already played it twice. Such an incredible, beautiful game - the sequel is going to be absolutely jaw-dropping, I have no doubt.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
All the screenshots in this game are making me want to play it again and I've already played it twice. Such an incredible, beautiful game - the sequel is going to be absolutely jaw-dropping, I have no doubt.

Onward noble steed:
1770651137872454.png

En route to repair Imgur server:
5912a41137867224.png

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Thread Derailment; Returning from a Ban and Doubling Down on Banned Behavior
You make zero sense, best selling exclusive new IP can only reference one game otherwise it's a franchise. It's pretty simple compare the first game in a series and see what have sold the most. Not rocket science. And please give us those Sea of Thieves numbers they sound very high if you are to be believed.

Game one of exclusive new IP A sells 500k units, but game two sells 50 million. Both within one generation.
Game one of exclusive new IP B sells 1 million and game two (of that new franchise for the current generation) sells 10 million.
Game one of exclusive new IP C sells 2 million and does not get a sequel.

IP C is the best selling exclusive new IP of the generation. Makes sense.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Game one of exclusive new IP A sells 500k units, but game two sells 50 million. Both within one generation.
Game one of exclusive new IP B sells 1 million and game two (of that new franchise for the current generation) sells 10 million.

Nope. After the first game, it'is no longer a new IP. Stop. You're not convincing anyone. You're just arguing in bad faith at this point.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Why did you get unbanned, come back and continue to pull tales from your ass?

Whatever you argument is, Sea of Theives hasn't sold more than Horizon. I can't remember what the first Splatoon did but you don't compare 2 games with just 1 when we're talking about how well a new game from a new IP did,

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Saw this posted on the PSblog site for the article:

47158460032_433bd49e86_o.jpg

And my first reaction was: "What! what? I don't remember there being options to paint Aloy's face... was this a preorder bonus?"

Took me a while to scroll down and realize that was cosplay, very well done cosplay. God dang. If anyone is interested here is her insta: https://www.instagram.com/keyvei/?hl=en

Fuck. I had exactly your reaction when I looked at the pic before I scrolled down to read your post. I even zoomed in on the pic. This just proves how amazingly lifelike the graphics are.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

New I.P usually means the 1st game. Best selling new I.P and best selling new franchise (which would include Spidey PS4, as it's a new exclusive, one which will likely sell the best in the end) of a gen don't necessarily have to be the same either.
Doesn't matter anyway, because I don't think an exclusive new franchise has sold 10+ million this gen either. Splatoon is multi gen, it doesn't count, but even if it did for some random ass reason, so would TLoU using the same logic and it's over 17m.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It's a beautiful and very immersive game, with an intersting story, and the combat against the machine is outstanding. But the lack of any kind of interactivity with the environnement is a real problem in this game and made the exploration uninteresting which is a pity with such beautiful vistas.

I would have liked to discover plenty of caves with meaningful secrets (like loot or hidden scroll with secrets) behind a bush or behind a waterfall. Find secret rooms (again with interesting stuff) by destroying walls, grounds or glasses.

The puzzles are too few and incredibly and uselessly easy. With that kind of environement and details, they could have done incredible environmental puzzles with varied devices.

Yes, there is a few secrets to discover in order to have one special object, but that's not enough. Such a big, old, mysterious world and there is just a few really hidden interesting rooms. And as a whole the world is so static that you are not encouraged to try breaking walls or stuff so I learned about those few hidden rooms by reading stuff on Internet.

Also the verticality is completely wasted. All paths are clearly labelled, they should have rewarded exploration when climbing, maybe by making climbing really dangerous and also I would have liked to climb on all seamingly climbable surfaces in the ruins and moutain and find secrets after a dangerous, adventurous and long climb.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Even though you're wrong, Splatoon 1 and 2 are not part of the same generation anyway so the point you are trying to make is completely moot.

Oct 27, 2017

"User Banned"

Thanks mods.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
This is wonderfully written, thanks.

That review is one of those times I remember a huge disconnect between what I was reading and what I was playing, for all the reasons you have stated. That review was a complete disgrace.

All this chat is making me want to rebuy HZD again. No clue why I never finished it, it was fantastic in almost every way.

Thank you for reading and also for the kind words.

I didn't expect anyone to go through that entire wall of text, but Ms. McCarthy's review struck me as deceitful ever since it was published, and I felt that this thread was a good opportunity to finally voice my opinion about it.

This should come as no surprise, but I definitely recommend finishing the game. The revelations at the end are really interesting, and if you were enjoying the story, I'm sure you'd feel satisfied with its conclusion.

I remember them giving it a curiously low score but I never read the review as I didn't care to give them the click. Sounds like a fucking shambles though.

You absolutely did the right thing. I had to read the review again in order to write my critique of it, but you'll notice I didn't add a link to it and included many verbatim quotes as to make checking the source material redundant.

Not everything is for everyone. If you're mad about GG not getting MC-related bonuses be mad at GG/Sony for having that stupid practice in the first place.

I'm not in the industry, but I'm guessing that this isn't a widespread practice. Critical reception shouldn't be a significant part of bonus calculation. I mean, you'd think meeting delivery and sales targets would be the important contributors to bonus calculations.

I know that it happened to obsidian once, but I remember reading that they'd never agree to such a metric again. Especially now-a-days when it just takes one or two contrarians to bring the average down.

It is, unfortunately, a pretty common practice in the industry. It doesn't get discussed much simply because it's a matter hidden in contracts between publishers and developers with very strict NDAs. General audiences only hear about those deals when they leak.

And while I believe that it's an unfair system, as review aggregators are inherently flawed, I also strongly disagree with Ms. McCarthy's arguments, and discussed in great detail here how I don't see the validity in her criticisms.

Not everything is for everyone, true. But when you're objectively wrong about most of your assessments, your judgement should be reevaluated.

I have an album in Google photos where I dump all my PS4 Screenshots and have it set to display (among others) randomly on the idle screen of my chromecast. Every time this game pops up I think "darn, this game looks good".

That sounds like an excellent idea. Are there any tasks in that process that can be automated, or do you simply transfer the image files from your PS4 to a PC using a flash drive, and them upload them to Google Photos?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
That sounds like an excellent idea. Are there any tasks in that process that can be automated, or do you simply transfer the image files from your PS4 to a PC using a flash drive, and them upload them to Google Photos?

I don't think it could be automated other than having some sort of script that pulls images from your Facebook / Twitter, and even then you'd have to manually upload them from your PS4. Plus you'd be getting crappy compressed JPEGs anyway.

So yeah, I use a USB stick to copy the photos to my PC or phone about once or twice a month and just upload everything to Google Photos as PNGs.

This is one of the things the Xbox One handles much better, as it can be set to automatically upload every capture to OneDrive and then you can set your OneDrive folder to automatically upload to Google Photos on your PC.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Man I'm happy it did this well and that we'll get more. Horizon has some of the best world building of this generation and I just fucking loved it.

The audio and data logs are also the most *haunting* part of any video I've ever played and I play the hell out of Horror games. Nothing in any of them has come close to the terror of the world ending that Horizon invoked in me. The more you listened to them and read them the clearer the picture formed in your head and it was just brilliantly done. The deeper and deeper you go the the more the dread builds and when it finally hits you it's just this "oh, fuck..." moment and man it was great.

Whoever pulled that off, mad props, because you got me like nothing from Resident Evil, Silent Hill, TEW, or anything else has before and I love that shit.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Whats more impressive to me was the abillity of Guerrila Games making a quality 3rd person Action RPG coming from years of making First Person Shooters.

Congrats Guerrilla for the sales, are well deserved.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats to Horizon <3

Horizon-Zero-Dawn_20171110211330.png

Horizon-Zero-Dawn_20171110000634.png

And my first reaction was: "What! what? I don't remember there being options to paint Aloy's face... was this a preorder bonus?"

Took me a while to scroll down and realize that was cosplay, very well done cosplay.
Yoooooooooooooooooo what. I had the same thinking process as you. Holy shit, that's borderline as impressive as that insane Lady Maria (Bloodborne) cosplay I saw a while back. Absolutely stunning.

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I have six copies. One from my then deceased grandmother, 3 from my mom (from best-buy get 3 for 2 deal), one I found on my doorstep and 1 that came accidentally bundled with my little bro's 2DS. Still haven't got around to playing it, I'm sure I'm not alone

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I would consider an IP new if it debuted during the generation. Even if Horizon 2 came out this gen and also sold 10 million, I would still consider it a new IP because its a NEW IP for THIS GENERATION

Disagree? Fight me

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would consider an IP new if it debuted during the generation. Even if Horizon 2 came out this gen and also sold 10 million, I would still consider it a new IP because its a NEW IP for THIS GENERATION

Disagree? Fight me

You could say they introduced a new IP in the context of a generation, but as soon as the second title releases it becomes a franchise, and thus when discussing sales of a said new IP, sales are seperate instead of combined. In that same way, Uncharted 2 and 3, or Gears 2, 3 and Judgement, may have been sequels to new IP's that launched last gen, but ultimately they ended up becoming franchises.

Similarly, Splatoon 2 is not a new IP. Horizon Zero Dawn and Sea of Thieves are.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Splatoon 2 isn't a new IP because the first game came out on the Wii U, technically the previous gen

What constitutes a new IP isn't dependant on the generation or any other arbitrary time frame, but the actual intellectual property itself. For example, one could say that Epic introduced a new IP with Gears of War last gen, but Gears of War 2 is not a new IP, and neither is Gears of War 3 or Judgment. They do however form part of what was the introduction of a new IP (Gears of War 1) earlier in that gen, going on to then become a franchise (in the same gen).

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to GG, totally deserved. HZD 2 on PS5 with ray-tracing will melt eyeballs.

Also that GAF bomba prediction thread from 2017 continues to age badly.

Oct 2, 2018
Fuck yeah! Bring on a sequel on PS5! One of the best games on PS4.

Bigger badder creatures please.

And they did it all on a single player game with worthwhile paid DLC too.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn - the most succesful game ever from Guerrilla Games
God of War (2018) - the most succesful game ever from SIE Santa Monica
Marvel's Spider-Man - the most succesful game ever from Insomniac Games

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn - the most succesful game ever from Guerrilla Games
God of War (2018) - the most succesful game ever from SIE Santa Monica
Marvel's Spider-Man - the most succesful game ever from Insomniac Games
days gone from bend, ghost of tsushima from sucker punch and tlou2 from naughty dog (if it's cross gen) will probably join that list too.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia