Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Indeed, it was Caty McCarthy's review for USgamer - her first ever for that publication.

Ridiculous score notwithstanding, it was Ms. McCarthy's reasoning that left me completely flabbergasted.

She called Aloy a "perpetually sarcastic" heroine, clung on to that character's "alienated upbringing" as if it was the protagonist's defining trait, and complained about all the side quests being "pointless and distracting to the central, pressing conflict" - which has "hardly any variety", according to her. And that's just a small sample of her absurd criticisms, which I'd like to address here for the first time.

Be warned of spoilers.

Aloy may walk a fine line between being a lovable rogue (like Han Solo) and an insufferable asshole (think the Prince, from 2008's Prince of Persia reboot), with her sarcastic quips and no-nonsense attitude, but that's part of her character arc, and is most prominent during the first half of the game, when she's still dealing with the loss of her father figure and the fact that she's basically working for the people who shunned her. By the time she learns the truth about her origins - and that of the world as she knows it -, she has grown and matured a lot. And even if she still has some resentment towards her tribe, that's eclipsed by the sentiment of pity for their ignorance. Her upbringing is part of the rationale for her initial demeanor, not the sole characteristic of her personality. Plus, the dialog options where Aloy deservedly puts people down - including men who try to make a move on her - are among my favorite.

As for the story itself, I've noticed that people who have qualms about it, dismissing it as bland, "tropey" sci-fi (or, in Ms. McCarthy's words: "cold and unearned"), never expand on their hypotheses. Probably because they don't see past the post-post-apocalyptic setting, and, most importantly, why it came to be. The theme of humanity destroying itself is as old as time, and those same critics tend to be perfectly content with the explanation simply being "the bombs dropped a long time ago" in all kinds of media. Still, they ignore the conflicts at the heart of Horizon's drama: the struggles of civilization under Jean-Jacques Rousseau's philosophy ("man is good by nature but corrupted by society"), the tragedy of science's god complex and the unrelenting hunger for power and profit by corporations. Unsurprisingly, Ms. McCarthy makes no mention of villains other than "the third iteration of a particularly large machine".

Speaking of which, the robots are the absolute stars of that title, as USgamer's own editor-in-chief seem to agree. Other than sparse remarks about the Focus and how it can be used to analyze the weak points of enemies, there's not a single line in Ms. McCarthy's review dedicated to the specifics of combat or the various methods for taking those enemies down. She reduces stealth to sneaking through tall grass, summarizes battles as "running in a big circle, flinging arrows aimlessly at your [...] target" and describes the core mechanic of the game as "hunting (robotic) creatures using a variety of upgradeable bows". Other weapons are considered "less-useful" by Ms. McCarthy, and she even goes so far as to say that boars and foxes are "literally the only living animals that aren't robots".

It should become evident, at this point, that Ms. McCarthy didn't fully explore what the game had to offer, or, at the very least, had trouble handling its various mechanics, overlooking or straight up avoiding the more complex ones in favor of quickly finishing the story. Which is strange, since she claims to have spent "about fifteen hours with the game", until the main plot reached an "apparent climactic point". She continues, writing that "the story plateaus at this point, dragging out the additional revelations and twists, and slogs at a painfully slow pace for approximately 15 more hours". I'm still trying to understand what she means by that, as the bigger revelations and twists happen at the latest stages of the game, when the plot is kicked into overdrive and rapidly advances until its conclusion.

Ms. McCarthy opposes the side quests for being... well, side quests (by nature, unnecessary for the overarching narrative), and skimps on details as to why she believes that, failing to inform her readers that the player not only has choices over some of Aloy's decisions, but those can influence the outcome of said quests and even the fate of some characters. Ms. McCarthy also denounces Aloy for not having a job, like Geralt from The Witcher series, as if that alone justifies the act of performing fetch quests. Ms. McCarthy accuses Horizon of having "claustrophobic corridors and arena battles", when those happen exclusively in Cauldrons, few and far between.

I could go on and on (for example, outfits are acknowledged in passing as the footnote of a screenshot, with no observation on the diverse benefits they grant), but I'd be echoing my own sentiments. I find it disheartening that the livelihood of dozens of people could've been directly affected by a review with so many misguided arguments and factual inaccuracies.

To make matters worse, USgamer's staff (along with their news editor) stood by that piece and defended it to the point where they had to disable comments for the article - but only after removing most of the negative ones (whether they were comprised of valid critiques or not) and deleting their own antagonistic responses.
The part about the story is what I always think whenever I read someone saying Horizon doesn't have a good story. Like they only pay attention to what's happening in the present and not in what happened in the past, which is the best part and what Aloy is after (most of the game is basically her looking for answers and not blindly believing what her tribe told her).

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I, legitimately, think that Horizon is easily the most engaged I've been with a game this gen. I genuinely love everything I experienced in the game and had a complete desire to see it right through to the end. The moment to moment game play is very satisfying and the story kept me gripped.

The DLC only improved on what was already there.

I'm looking forward to seeing what KojiPro do with the engine and where GG take Horizon next.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
SO3KCZY.gif

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Horizon: Zero Dawn was so good with plenty of room for improvement in a sequel, can't wait for it. Not that there needs to be romance in the sequel but I'm not buying Aloy as straight.

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
5.3 million across ps3 and ps4
Of note is that 3.3 million were on PS3. Which are the only sales that really count since the rest was a remaster way later. And Detroit is approaching 3 million sales or maybe even hit it over the last shopping season. So yeah it will outsell HR soon on PS3 in way less time. Definetly their most successfull game relatively at that point, just need to wait a bit.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I was LTTP with this game despite owning it since launch. I played it right after God of War and it was amazing that this game could easily hang with SSM's masterpiece. I expected it to be great but I still was surprised how well it played, and I only used half of Aloy's arsenal. Fantastic achchievement.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
It is a great game and I did buy the Frozen Wilds dlc the other day so I'll be jumping back into Horizon soon

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn was so good with plenty of room for improvement in a sequel, can't wait for it. Not that there needs to be romance in the sequel but I'm not buying Aloy as straight.
One thing someone else mentioned, but I do very much appreciate, is how Aloy doesn't exactly have "romances" in the game, but characters flirt with her - both male and female, and it feels very organic and Aloy's responses to their advances feel very nuanced and appropriate to her character.

She's not really here for the romance, as she's got too much on her plate and there's too much craziness happening around her, and I also like how she has a very clear boundary and understanding of the difference between attraction and infatuation. I also think the writers handled it SO well that she is - by any metric - a very beautiful young woman, even without being glammed up, but has moments of characters calling her attractive and those comments just sail over her head, because she grew up in isolation, rejected, and doesn't have much concept of self-love in the looks department. Her physical features are the furthest thing that she defines her value by, and how she handles people who express an interest with her always ensured the agency was in her hands.

It's great to have a character who is fairly immutable in her beliefs and values, and is despised, revered, rejected, and admired by various characters as a result.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I actually hope there is a male love interest for Aloy in the sequel

For me it was very clear she was attracted to Varl but ultimately realized her quest was more important than having a relationship in that moment

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm not blind, yeah they tried to force a little something between her and Varl. I don't dislike him but he's basically the childhood friend archetype and he's no Vanasha, Talanah, or Petra. 😍

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Aloy straight up says she like Varl, but not the time to be thinking about that.
It's a Rost's grave conversation

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
I don't think I could entertain a male love interest for Aloy. I just have zero interest in that. Either give me options or just don't go there at all.

Aloy x Talanah is pretty much the only relationship I'd even consider.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they just come up with a new character to be Aloy's pair in the sequel if they want to pursue romance. Didn't really like any of the characters all that much.

I like Vanasha because I love her costume, I like the dude with Marvelous Chester's voice because he has Marvelous Chester's voice, and I guess Avad is the only character I was more into for his personality, my husbando in the game. Oh, Rost was really cool, too, but that's partially because he didn't get the chance to talk too much.

I really like Aloy, but I feel like a lot of that is just due to her actions during gameplay. She's kind of annoying as a character, though I do feel like she's annoying in an endearing way, it made me laugh instead of roll my eyes when she was being annoying.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
My only wish is for actually play an older, more mellowed out Aloy so that she can also interact with her world in a more casual way.

I completely understand why she was the way she is due to the story, but I was still frustrated that for such a beautiful open world with all these civilizations, the only way I could interact with it was through killing things or scoffing. Not even being able to sit down to listen to the musicians in the regular game, or like wonder what are the small games and occupations from the populace. There was also the issue that the game makes huge parallels with actual native tribes, only to be painted actually in a pretty damn poor light, with Aloy sometimes acting as the "enlightened white saviour" (not all of the time of course and some aspects of the tribes were very cruel like the shadow carja of course. But the game paints a pretty poor light of all the tribes in the end, and Aloy expresses very little wonder or surprises to some things that would genuinely charm even people here (I was enchanted by my first sight of Meridian for example, but then was bummed that basically Aloy does not give a crap).

I absolutely loved the game overall. But I hope for a sequel that we could play like maybe a late 20's/early 30s aloy who'se now more integrated to her whole (without losing her sharp wit of course). Not necessarily to be more "friendly" (as I played her as combative and defiant when I could) but I would enjoy if I could interact with world more less as a total outsider

Farmerboy

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Playing Frozen Wilds right now and all I can think about is HZD2 on PS5 with a heap more cpu creating a more complex world.

The world and lore that GG created is fantastic, but new hardware is going to deliver us something special. Can't wait.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I could entertain a male love interest for Aloy. I just have zero interest in that. Either give me options or just don't go there at all.

The only thing I don't want them to do is let you choose between abunch of people, either commit to 1 or 2 fully fleshed out relationship or don't bother. If Aloy just bangs anyone (like AC Odyssey handles it) I'd probably just ignore it all together and keep Aloy uninterested.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found thee story cool. Easy to follow but pushing you to play to discover the plot.

Some people like their stories fed to them. The story in Horizon is excellent but it's something you discover and that turns people off. I loved it and think it's extremely underrated in that dept.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Some people like their stories fed to them. The story in Horizon is excellent but it's something you discover and that turns people off. I loved it and think it's extremely underrated in that dept.
The info dumps just aren't paced well really and sometimes would just get talked over which really annoyed me. The world is super interesting though, really can't wait to see where it goes.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Please no relationship nonsense.

Is this the whole sexual piety {in the eyes of the general straight (often white) men} thing that presumably has prevented developers from having straight female leads with love interests to ensure the protagonist is not devalued?

I can not remember a single game from recent memory where a game exclusively featured a straight female lead that included a romantic arc. Plenty of examples on the flip side though.

And, gay relationship for the aforementioned, imHo, does not challenge the inhibitions of a straight men who vicariously live through their PC's story arc.

For real. I can't handle the cringe.

Granted, romance in games, when left to player agency via series of options, have been generally been executed rather poorly.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess that pretty much guarantees sequel. Horizon 2 is going to look absolutely bonkers, visually.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Indeed, it was Caty McCarthy's review for USgamer - her first ever for that publication.

Ridiculous score notwithstanding, it was Ms. McCarthy's reasoning that left me completely flabbergasted.

She called Aloy a "perpetually sarcastic" heroine, clung on to that character's "alienated upbringing" as if it was the protagonist's defining trait, and complained about all the side quests being "pointless and distracting to the central, pressing conflict" - which has "hardly any variety", according to her. And that's just a small sample of her absurd criticisms, which I'd like to address here for the first time.

Be warned of spoilers.

Aloy may walk a fine line between being a lovable rogue (like Han Solo) and an insufferable asshole (think the Prince, from 2008's Prince of Persia reboot), with her sarcastic quips and no-nonsense attitude, but that's part of her character arc, and is most prominent during the first half of the game, when she's still dealing with the loss of her father figure and the fact that she's basically working for the people who shunned her. By the time she learns the truth about her origins - and that of the world as she knows it -, she has grown and matured a lot. And even if she still has some resentment towards her tribe, that's eclipsed by the sentiment of pity for their ignorance. Her upbringing is part of the rationale for her initial demeanor, not the sole characteristic of her personality. Plus, the dialog options where Aloy deservedly puts people down - including men who try to make a move on her - are among my favorite.

As for the story itself, I've noticed that people who have qualms about it, dismissing it as bland, "tropey" sci-fi (or, in Ms. McCarthy's words: "cold and unearned"), never expand on their hypotheses. Probably because they don't see past the post-post-apocalyptic setting, and, most importantly, why it came to be. The theme of humanity destroying itself is as old as time, and those same critics tend to be perfectly content with the explanation simply being "the bombs dropped a long time ago" in all kinds of media. Still, they ignore the conflicts at the heart of Horizon's drama: the struggles of civilization under Jean-Jacques Rousseau's philosophy ("man is good by nature but corrupted by society"), the tragedy of science's god complex and the unrelenting hunger for power and profit by corporations. Unsurprisingly, Ms. McCarthy makes no mention of villains other than "the third iteration of a particularly large machine".

Speaking of which, the robots are the absolute stars of that title, as USgamer's own editor-in-chief seem to agree. Other than sparse remarks about the Focus and how it can be used to analyze the weak points of enemies, there's not a single line in Ms. McCarthy's review dedicated to the specifics of combat or the various methods for taking those enemies down. She reduces stealth to sneaking through tall grass, summarizes battles as "running in a big circle, flinging arrows aimlessly at your [...] target" and describes the core mechanic of the game as "hunting (robotic) creatures using a variety of upgradeable bows". Other weapons are considered "less-useful" by Ms. McCarthy, and she even goes so far as to say that boars and foxes are "literally the only living animals that aren't robots".

It should become evident, at this point, that Ms. McCarthy didn't fully explore what the game had to offer, or, at the very least, had trouble handling its various mechanics, overlooking or straight up avoiding the more complex ones in favor of quickly finishing the story. Which is strange, since she claims to have spent "about fifteen hours with the game", until the main plot reached an "apparent climactic point". She continues, writing that "the story plateaus at this point, dragging out the additional revelations and twists, and slogs at a painfully slow pace for approximately 15 more hours". I'm still trying to understand what she means by that, as the bigger revelations and twists happen at the latest stages of the game, when the plot is kicked into overdrive and rapidly advances until its conclusion.

Ms. McCarthy opposes the side quests for being... well, side quests (by nature, unnecessary for the overarching narrative), and skimps on details as to why she believes that, failing to inform her readers that the player not only has choices over some of Aloy's decisions, but those can influence the outcome of said quests and even the fate of some characters. Ms. McCarthy also denounces Aloy for not having a job, like Geralt from The Witcher series, as if that alone justifies the act of performing fetch quests. Ms. McCarthy accuses Horizon of having "claustrophobic corridors and arena battles", when those happen exclusively in Cauldrons, few and far between.

I could go on and on (for example, outfits are acknowledged in passing as the footnote of a screenshot, with no observation on the diverse benefits they grant), but I'd be echoing my own sentiments. I find it disheartening that the livelihood of dozens of people could've been directly affected by a review with so many misguided arguments and factual inaccuracies.

To make matters worse, USgamer's staff (along with their news editor) stood by that piece and defended it to the point where they had to disable comments for the article - but only after removing most of the negative ones (whether they were comprised of valid critiques or not) and deleting their own antagonistic responses.
US Gamer's attitude (with the exception of Mike) was pretty embarrassing, like they treated, and still treat the title like some sort of pariah that shall not be discussed. I usually enjoy the site, but in the case of HZD, it came off of as a case of people who were just too up BOTW's ass to be bothered with HZD. I would have rathered they just not reviewed the game since their take was so miserably bad. It was just too cynical and incorrect in a lot of things to take seriously. Like okay, you don't like HZD, your jaded view doesn't give you any cred or make you an interesting person.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
And, gay relationship for the aforementioned, imHo, does not challenge the inhibitions of a straight men who vicariously live through their PC's story arc.
Yes, women tend to be the love interest or lesbians in games.

I'd rather not have romance in games at all because they are always shit - this goes especially for optional ones that reduce them to a series of transactions in exchange for some character buff. Still, as media portrayals of interracial relationships where the male is black are almost unheard of in the US, my vote goes to Varl.

Edit: Fixed quote

Last edited:

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
Is this the whole sexual piety {in the eyes of the general straight (often white) men} thing that presumably has prevented developers from having straight female leads with love interests to ensure the protagonist is not devalued?

I can not remember a single game from recent memory where a game exclusively featured a straight female lead that included a romantic arc. Plenty of examples on the flip side though.

Far too much to unpack here, but I'll just leave it alone lol. My post was about Aloy. Just Aloy. I personally have zero interest in a male love interest for her. Now if Sony decided to make an Uncharted: Lost Legacy 2 and gave Chloe a male love interest, I would totally dig that.