• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Dude Pepper Palace doesn't fuck around. My parents brought me a bottle of Death By Salsa just as a gag gift and I of course tried just a tiny bit of it. Never again. Ever.

Mmm hmm, my friend bought some Flashbang from there (San Fransisco branch), less than a drop of that stuff puts you on a heat trip for 10-20 minutes. Made the back of my head sweat like a waterfall:

1b2d38928be61781c6ed4092f8474b60--gud-hot-sauces.jpg

They had 50. Calibur Heat there the last time I visited too, Cyrpus lava salt that comes in a bullet casing. Apparently one flake can heat an entire bowl of chilli...Anyway for tasty stuff that won't kill you:

Time's Up Reaper Hot Sauce, quite a kick and deliciously tomato:

K450-2T.jpg

Fusion Ghostly Garlic:

PP457-2T.jpg

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I always see that gringo sauce, but go with yucateco and La Costeno. Just good taco sauces. Will give it a shot.

Louisiana is my everything hot sauce.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
El yucateco black label, perfection

I've been meaning to try that one. I have a bottle of red, green, and brown/Mayan (my favorite of the three). I only recently moved up to habanero after downing a couple bags of Paqui ghost pepper chips and realizing habanero is no longer as hot to me as it used to be. Ghost pepper though...eh...baby steps.

Deleted member 14192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
812Ms1FZBML._SY679_.jpg

I've fallen in love, the mix of spice and acidic is just perfect. Gonna have to stock up while they are still available here.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you do guys feel about refrigeration? Ive never put it in the fridge but I've always heard people swear by the chill making the flavor better for them on certain sauces.

J-Rod

Dec 15, 2017
What do you do guys feel about refrigeration? Ive never put it in the fridge but I've always heard people swear by the chill making the flavor better for them on certain sauces.

I keep all of mine in the fridge if I plan on eating more of it. Can't tell a difference really, but, if a label says to fridge it after opening, I do.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017

Think almost every sauce I have says to be refrigerated after opening but...I never do, I live on the wild side.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the ones that require refrigeration are the ones with veggies or have lots of sugar in them. Tabasco style sauces with the high vinegar content to them don't. Bacteria don't want none of that shit, they got easier stuff to go after. Again though, I know people who still chill them though either for taste and/or inertia.

J-Rod

Dec 15, 2017
Yucateco is fantastic. Not a fan of the black label, though. It's just a part of the collection now.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
I wish we had more places which sold the green Tabasco sauce in the UK. Had that when over in California and it tastes sooo good. If anyone in the UK know where supplies it please let me know because I can't find it in any supermarket.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Lately have been exploring these, not sure which I like best. Always skipped them for years, but they really enhance things..

17387723736_48303758f2_o.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Do Fuego Box if you get a chance. My wife got it for me last year (six months of it I believe) and it gave me a ton of good sauces. You get three per month. I'm finally just now starting to run low.

Nov 28, 2017
I recently got a bottle of the Last Dab as a gift, and though I don't really think it's as intense as it's 10-spot on Hot Ones would suggest, it is a really good hot sauce that I put on a lot of things. Recently I found that, probably because of the turmeric in it, it's great to throw some in when I'm making curry. But I'll throw that on anything fried, mix with kewpie for a burger, throw it on a hotdog, mix it with eggs, it's all good. It's a solid, even heat that isn't terribly overwhelming as long as you portion it appropriately.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a people aren't having as much of a problem with the last dab in hot ones as they used to with the previous 10 spot, so the stuff I'm reading in this thread doesn't surprise me too much.

That being said, I'm still pretty scared of it.

I had a burger the other day and I THINK it had this on it:

Prairie-Fire_113b9652-054c-422d-8c81-394450788a6d_1024x1024.jpeg

It had a pretty significant blob of it on there, and I ended up laughing uncontrollably, and my leg was twitching, and actual tears ran down my face. I've gotten water eyed before, but this was pretty intense.

I don't know where that puts me on the spicy food scale. The site I saw it on had it as a 7? I don't know.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Man, I've been avoiding this thread because I wanted to make the Hotsauce OT and I was jelly. I've got about 35 hotsauces on rotation. Got a little journal for writing notes and whatnot. (Even added some pixel art for flavor)

The Last Dab is actually not that hot; real nice aroma and flavor, but it's nowhere near as hot as you'd think. Pepper X itself doesn't appear to be that hot according to the few that have got their hands on it.

Tabasco has hotter variants of their sauces, all with the same vinegary consistency you're a fan of. Their hottest sauce uses Trinidad Scorpions, and I find it much hotter than The Last Dab.

I got my bottle of the last dab, and I'll admit, it's not as hot as I was expecting. It's definitely hot, but my Dave's Insanity Scorpion pepper sauce brings the heat more.

The Last Dab does have undeniable staying power though, I'll give it that. It's quite thick with lots of chunks and a have dose of untouched seeds. Very mustardy (which is uncommon so that was at least interesting). On first dab the heat was immediate a quick turn up burn with a clear first and second standard waves of heat. The second wave didn't give in at 10-15 seconds though for my bottle. It stuck around for about 4-5 times longer than my other high heat sauces.

My personal favorite high heat is Dave's Insanity Scorpion Pepper. Mainly because it's a novelty heat sauce that actually tastes good. It has almost no additional ingredients like the pile of vinegar or garlic you get in some. (Though that tends to be the part that is actually good in Blair's sauces). This thing on first dab is crazy sweet. Like a nice jalapeno jelly. It's rich and silky and delicous... for about 3-4 seconds. Then you go deaf and blind and wake up naked in a forest. The heat is a steady riser which gives a sense of more than just the standard first and second waves. It is a hard throat kicker if you aren't careful as well. After a good 10-20 seconds when you're done breathing in frost and breathing out molten lava over your tranquilzed tongue the heat high kicks in and you travel to the 26th dimention of nirvana. This is truly my most enjoyable novelty sauce. Great for drops in a large soup as well.

DASPHS-2.jpg

It's not very hot, but one recent hot sauce I've enjoyed a lot is Yuzu-It:
https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/02/11/use-it-yuzu-it-yuzu-pepper-sauce
hhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IIYT3BM

It blends spiciness with a sour citrus flavor (Yuzu) and is really quite good and flavorful.

Yuzu hotsauces were a new thing for me that I discovered in Japan. My wife and I have a house in Yamaguchi prefecture so we go to Beppu near Oita quite often for it's crazy cheap onsens. Yuzu is the popular regional fruit of Oita (kabosu in Beppu and Oranges on our island where we have our house). While I was there I ended up getting a couple of bottles of Yuzu Hell Heat sauce. Stuff was interesting. Dark and slightly oily so I thought it would be on the rich side like gochujang but was very vinegary which accentuated the acidity of the yuzu juice. Moderate heat. Wasn't good for adding to pretty much any soup or noodle meal for that matter but was killer for yakitori. Would make a great chicken glaze.

Cholula is my go to utility hot sauce but I got some Secret Aardvark for Christmas and not sure what it would be best on. Love the taste of it.

My man. Cholula is often looked down on for it's low heat and it pisses me off. Cholula is a bright herbacious wonderland. It's like a refreshing garden in a liquid with just enough salt to make it graciously savory It has just enough heat to compliment everything else going on. Personally it is the most balanced hotsauce of all. I drown things in it. If it wasn't so expensive (comparitively) at my grocery store it would be drowned on everything I eat. Secret Aardvark was a pleasant surprise in Portland. It's also such a portland thing with it being a bit more obscure and somewhat of a secret jem. I've got a softspot for habenero sauces (mainly because of the beaut below) because they have such earthly flavors. That being the case, I've found Secret Aardvark worked best for me on certain pizzas (busy cali style topping pizzas), breakfasts (how it was introduced to me) and burgers.

el-yucateco-salsa-kutbil-ik-exxxtra-hot-mayan-habanero-sauce-120ml-10001-p.jpg

When I want to add heat, this is my go to. Not too spicy, and it's the best tasting of all the El Yucateco sauces. Very peppery and it has that fresh habanero taste. Best of the commonly available store bought brands, by far.

I discovered this one in LA and it was a paradigm shift for me. I had tried the red and green El Yucateco and thought they were ok, but something happened to me when I found the black label. I legitimately began drinking it out of the bottle as the day went on. I eventually cut the top out of a starbucks cup and hid it inside so I'd stop getting stares when I'd take a swig. I've since calmed down of course. It isn't that much hotter than the other labels but it is sooooo savory and rich. It has that signature earthy habenero taste (that I fell in love with). It's so rich that people may confuse it with a pepper sauce instead of a hotsauce if it wasn't for that nice balanced heat it gives.

I love all the Louisiana-inspired ones

IY5ralE.jpg

Valentina and Louisiana are my gotos for fried chicken. The rich crazy saltiness of valentina with that heaaavy viscousness that sticks to the breading mmm. Though I prefer more so the vinegar based sauces for chicken because it compliments chicken sooooo well making it taste so much juicier and more savory. On this front Lousiana is the best for me. Don't get me wrong, I like tabasco and petes, but louisiana beats them pretty easy when it comes to chicken. Franks and Crystal (more so franks for me) are heavy contenders to the chicken throne and sometimes I'll let franks win out, but Lousiana is where it's at.

Caveat, if it's a fried chicken sandwich, I'll dowse with that thick smokey sweet sriracha.

I've got a fridge shelf dedicated to hot sauces. Haven't seen it mess with flavor in the long run, but sometimes I think it separates some of the sauces so I shake them up before use and I like to let them warm up before use because the sauces that have the natural metallic taste to them tends to have that exaggerated when they are cold.

Last edited:

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Gonna go through this thread, but for anyone who is a mid-level hot sauce guy, any recommendations for:

-Smoky hot sauce
-Sweet hot sauce

Note, I prefer gradual heat buildup so while I'm eating I start to recognize it and by the end of the meal the heat is there and I feel it for a bit after I'm done too.

However, I love all hot sauces for the most part so I'm open to any suggestions. I just like having a smoky go to and a sweet go to depending on what kind of food I'm eating.

For reference, Fat Bao in Houston makes an amazing Chipotle sauce that is my current favorite. My mom also makes West Indian Pepper Sauce and that's another go to. Looking for stuff with a bit more kick and flavor than Sriracha, etc.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go through this thread, but for anyone who is a mid-level hot sauce guy, any recommendations for:

-Smoky hot sauce
-Sweet hot sauce

Note, I prefer gradual heat buildup so while I'm eating I start to recognize it and by the end of the meal the heat is there and I feel it for a bit after I'm done too.

However, I love all hot sauces for the most part so I'm open to any suggestions. I just like having a smoky go to and a sweet go to depending on what kind of food I'm eating.

For reference, Fat Bao in Houston makes an amazing Chipotle sauce that is my current favorite. My mom also makes West Indian Pepper Sauce and that's another go to. Looking for stuff with a bit more kick and flavor than Sriracha, etc.

Marie Sharp's has some great hot sauces. Her smoked habanero is my favorite smoky sauce.
1490189292774-pc-db7f27a0-a336-4d6c-8d9b-7d48e160aca5-marie-sharp-s-smoked-habanero-sauce-5oz.jpeg

I really like her grapefruit and orange sauces as well.

For a change of pace, my favorite hot sauce at the moment is Lao Gan Ma. It's got heat, umami, and numbing Szechuan peppercorns for that ma la flavor. It's just good with everything.

51yiKAnJeuL.jpg

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like the hot ones sauce lineup talks about how last dab is now hotter this season. Kind of interesting. Glad I hadn't ordered a bottle yet (still not sure if when that will happen though)

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Marie Sharp's has some great hot sauces. Her smoked habanero is my favorite smoky sauce.

I really like her grapefruit and orange sauces as well.

For a change of pace, my favorite hot sauce at the moment is Lao Gan Ma. It's got heat, umami, and numbing Szechuan peppercorns for that ma la flavor. It's just good with everything.

Sweet, thanks much my guy!

Oct 28, 2017

-Smoky hot sauce
-Sweet hot sauce

Can I interest you in a hot, smokey & sweet sauce?

Inferno.jpg

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/chilli_shop.html

I've tried many hot sauces in my time and this remains my absolute favourite for flavour and heat. It's handmade in England. It's not crazy hot but the combination of smoked hot chillies and sweet, almost jam like consistency are unbeatable, for me anyway. Anyone who I've given it to has raved about it. I actually ordered four more bottles just now. At less than ÂŁ4 a bottle, you can't go wrong. The only drawback is they only deliver in the UK.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Can I interest you in a hot, smokey & sweet sauce?

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/chilli_shop.html

I've tried many hot sauces in my time and this remains my absolute favourite for flavour and heat. It's handmade in England. It's not crazy hot but the combination of smoked hot chillies and sweet, almost jam like consistency are unbeatable, for me anyway. Anyone who I've given it to has raved about it. I actually ordered four more bottles just now. At less than ÂŁ4 a bottle, you can't go wrong. The only drawback is they only deliver in the UK.

Fuuuuuuck, could I maybe pay you to mail some to California? That sounds amazing lol.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
A staple of Southeast Chicago and great on fried foods and pizza. Has a very distinct flavor and closer to a mustard flavor than vinegar.
Hienies-front-chicago.jpg

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
There needs to be a database for hotsauces like what beer has, because my Jungle Jim's has literally tons of hot sauces, but they don't have most of what you guys recommend so I don't know what's good or not.

I recently ran out of hot sauces and need to restock.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
Yea I've seen a few sites, but there's nothing close to the level of beer advocate where even a small regional beer will have a bunch of reviews to give you a good idea what it's really like (ingredients can sometimes give you a general idea, but not always). Also I don't know anyplace like a bar where I could try a bunch of different ones.

At least my store will put tags next to good stuff they recommend I mainly just get that stuff or whatever is on sale (and of course anything I've seen on hot ones, but I've tried most of those by now).

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you guys ever tried making your own hot sauce? I did once, and the smell of boiling vinegar and habaneros literally drove everyone out of the house crying. It was brutal.

That said, I regularly make this orange garlic chili oil and it's an awesome thing to have around. Basically this recipe but with ginger and shallots added in. You can use it in most cases where you might use hot sauce.

https://entertainingiseasy.com/hot-orange-chili-oil/

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Daily driver: El Yucateco green
Micheladas/pizza: Tapatio
Clam chowder: Tabasco
Pho/Ramen: Chili oil

Gotta have something for every occasion!

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
el-yucateco-salsa-kutbil-ik-exxxtra-hot-mayan-habanero-sauce-120ml-10001-p.jpg

When I want to add heat, this is my go to. Not too spicy, and it's the best tasting of all the El Yucateco sauces. Very peppery and it has that fresh habanero taste. Best of the commonly available store bought brands, by far.

This is our go to sauce as well, so good. We try a lot of different ones, but make sure to always have this one around. Try the trader Joe's habanero sauce if you get a chance, it's also really great.

I use Valentina black label when it's Mexican food.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
I tried two varieties of Bufalo sauces today and the Salsa Clasica is dope. Barely any heat but super tangy, goes great with red meat/pork.

product-bufalo-salsa-clasica1.png

Bufalo Salsa Jalapeno is gross though, super sweet in the worst way.