Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CxkZL7H.png

IMO

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Its not just the characters that were suffering.

The whole worldbuilding was thrown out of the window for the same canyons over and over again.
I mean in the Kid arc you have so much throwbacks to Journey to the West and so much different areas. You had the chinese like mountain area, you had a glimpse in how the world with those capsules look like. The ox king village. The desert, the army base in the snow, Muten Roshis tropical island, the tournament area, Babas place. The training island. The forest and that high tower thing.

And then in DBZ you mostly have the same locations or same looking ones over and over and over again.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
That the coldest hot take I've ever read. Alot of people think this and have done so for literal decades.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is really a hot take, wasn't that Toriyama's original intention?

also: boo these poll results. Cell Saga sucks. SSJ2 is where the series really jumps the shark.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
´This is a pretty common opinion but even a more fitting one would be the Piccolo arc. Everything was wrapped up.

Still glad it continued but that was the "perfect ending" so to speak.

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Buu saga is supposed to be read with two context in mind
1) it should be seen as a parody of what DBZ has become much like the original DB was a parody of Kung-fu movies
2) You must read the manga because it higlights how much comedic is that story arc

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
A lot of cool stuff comes out of the Cell Saga... but I also agree, Frieza has the strongest narrative cohesion and the final battle works so well with all the buildup.

Cell Saga is just really messy with the goalposts moving so often.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
DB peaked with the Piccolo saga. Introducing the saiyans and benching the rest of the characters was a mistake.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see that being the case but for me the Cell saga fits the bill more. There are parts of Buu I like but it starts to feel a bit "Did the show really need this?" at a point. Though for me a large reason for that comes from Buu being a much less interesting villain than the saiyans, Frieza, or Cell.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
It had the perfect lead up to it. I'm with you.

My hot take is that the Buu Saga, which is the weakest of DB and DBZ, would have been one of the best arcs fullstop if Buu died by Vegeta's sacrifice and Vegeta never comes back to life.
Or if they saved him coming back until say Tournament of power. Perfect reason for him to enter and a long awaited come back.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I'd go with cell. Gohans reluctant rage is too good. My answer would be Buu if Gohan was allowed to remain top dog or at the very least a contender to be helpful. But its Goku 100% again.

The best part of the Frieza returns movie is when everyone is fighting before Goku shows up.

7/10 too much Goku

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Ending with Cell probably would have been the best as it's where everything comes full circle. Goku's greatest enemy from his youth (outside of Piccolo, who is an ally) comes back with their most powerful weapon in history that threatens to wreck the shit out of the entire universe and beyond. Even Goku knows he's no match. And so Gohan, who has been built from the beginning as a coming of age story, finally surpasses his father, goes a level even beyond Super Saiyan, and wrecks Cell's shit, but just BARELY does so.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if it did end there sure, Goku realizes the legend, defeats the villain who destroyed his home planet, scene end baddaboom.

Dragon Ball was never really concerned about major narrative arcs, though, most of it is just Goku going on adventures and stumbling across villains. It's kinda like a superhero comic in that regard, you can just keep adding to it until you get bored like Toriyama did after Buu.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Raditz came out of nowhere and was stronger than Goku and Piccolo combined, the same people well above the massive threat that was King Piccolo.

Z kind of already had that problem from the beginning. Raditz was super strong, but Vegeta is actually way worse and can grow Raditz level beings.

No but wait! Ginyu is even more mega strong than Vegeta (and most Ginyu members before the Zenkai) and Frieza wipes them all out no difficulty.

Trunks was just another arc transition that already existed, just more forward facing about it.
I agree that Raditz bieng Way weaker than Vegeta and Nappa makes zero since and is bad

Ginyu and crew being stronger than vegeta is fine they were not 20 times stronger just reasonably stronger

The Big difference is Frieza is Built up as the strongest being in the entire universe who blew up a Planet and was Hyped and built up for over 100 chapters and it took a mythical legendary Super sayian to defeat

I would Be ok if Trunks and future characters where slightly stronger than a Planet destroying God like Fireza But the way trunks Insta kills him no problem Completely Broke any investment I had in the series.

Yes powerscale was already becoming a problem in Dragon ball but the system completely broke in that moment.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would've been amazing if it ended with Cell only because my interest waned during Buu, and it plummeted since. But the Cell Games were great. I would've been fine with a send off, leaving Gohan to be the next protector. Too bad that's now how it went. Lol.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is really a hot take, wasn't that Toriyama's original intention?

also: boo these poll results. Cell Saga sucks. SSJ2 is where the series really jumps the shark.
www.kanzenshuu.com

Intended Endings Guide - Kanzenshuu

An in-depth look at where the Dragon Ball series was supposedly ending, and dispelling many common fan misconceptions and rumors about its intended ending

Nope. There is nothing special about the Namek Arc's ending. The best cases you have for intended endings are Emperor Pilaf's defeat and, well, the actual ending.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would have vastly preferred Goku died at the end of the Frieza Saga and the series toned down the rampant power level stuff. Making SSJ the kind of ceiling for power level that then for next 2-3 arcs Gohan and Vegeta chase after would be great rather than making that the new floor like Cell Saga did.

I would have enjoyed they went back to the more adventure-esq storyline of pre-Saiyan DB. Not necessarily lower stakes, just not the extremes we saw at the end with Goku vs Frieza. Then working their way up to Cell Saga and Gohan going SSJ and kind of closing that loop.

Cell Saga as it is is great and could have been a solid ending, but I didn't want the series to end then or with Frieza. But I also was ready for it to move past Goku and focus on Gohan and evolve the story and adventure. DBZ remained entertaining and DBS is entertaining and everything but feels like wasted potential really. Buu Saga was especially a major disappointment that's continued on through Super. There's still lots to enjoy but not the direction I would have preferred.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Taken alone, I don't think Gohan finally being pushed over the edge by Cell murdering 16 in front of him, resulting him in combining his Super saiyan form + his well defined power under extreme anger, really jumped the shark, at least not any more than Goku getting Super saiyan 1 by also having someone murdered in front of him. The series had been very clear that Gohan was capable of ridiculous power levels right from the start of Z, he just never really had any control over it.

It wasn't even called Super saiyan 2 at that point, that was a thing that came later when the series continued on. When every saiyan got SSJ2 as a baseline, yeah, it kinda went over the shark though.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
I remember people debating this online 20 years ago.

But I don't agree. The run from Trunks' first appearance, up to the point where Cell announces the Cell Games, is imo the best run in all of DB and it'd be a shame if that never existed.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
This is not a hot take at all, it's a classic topic in the DB fandom from 25 years ago that a lot of people agree, but you know... money.
Is that even a hot take? Thought it was a consensus among the fan base.
Based on the Poll it's at least a Medium Take
Here's a hot take: the Frieza arc was nearly unbearable in the anime. I once got into an accident breaking both of my collar bones, and the greatest pain I felt was waking up in the hospital bed to the Frieza arc playing on TV.
I read the Frieza Arc in the Manga

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I love Dragonball and love the insane power levels it reaches. I want it to keep going to see how absurd it all gets and I'll still have a huge smile on my face the whole time.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nah the Cell Arc was the perfect send off. Dragon Ball Z since the beginning up to that point was building Gohan into taking over Goku's mantle. Gohan turning SSJ2 and Goku sacrificing himself was to be the peak.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Hmmm, I mean Frieza saga had a good build up and was the climax/end to what we saw at the start of the Z and Cell kinda is a post script villain but Raditz and King Piccolo also came out of nowhere. But it leaves a lot of loose ends, like no ending what would happen to Vegeta, Gohan, Goku etc. Also Cell ties into an established story arc.
But Cell saga ending felt like a true ending

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I disagree, the redemption of Vegeta alone is worth the story continuing. End of Cell was the best ending point.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching all of it, and I had only seen up to Frieza as a kid.

I enjoyed Cell a lot, and while there were a short list of things I didn't like about Buu, overall I'm glad it exists. Lots of neat stuff there too.

If anything Frieza stands out as needing the most cuts, more than anything else (which may alleviate the "this should have ended here" feelings).

Oct 27, 2017
I think Cell fits better. It also provides payoff for the hints made Gohan's hidden power up to that point, plus with Goku dying it serves a good end

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Eh, I argue Cell with the son surpassing the father.

DBZ starts with Gohan being a cowardly crybaby little boy who gets kidnapped, it should have ended with him assuming his father's mantle after destroying Cell.

It's like poetry.
I wish they would have done that with the Frieza arc, Goku dies and Gohan becomes the legendary super saiyan and defeats Frieza.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Narratively, sure. Culturally, the Cell stuff has a huge impact - people would be too hungry to see a SSJ Vegeta or Gohan.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Cell is my favourite DBZ villain so there goes my vote.

Hell, it's the reason I don't even acknowledge or have any interest in DBZ Super. I barely cared for the Buu saga back then.

Like, I wasn't a big fan of Gohan but never understood him getting so fucking nerfed, becoming Super Saiyaman and somehow try to fix him through the Kaio-Shin unlock bullshit or whatever that was. Plus, Future Trunks is better Trunks, kid one was awful and (I know it's not canon) adult present Trunks in DBGT is even worse.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I think Cell fits better. It also provides payoff for the hints made Gohan's hidden power up to that point, plus with Goku dying it serves a good end
For me the hidden power doesn't work unless it's from something special that only he is capable of which is why I wish he became SS and defeated Frieza on Namek.

Having Gohan be the only SS explains his hidden power but with Goku, Vegeta & Trunks all having the ability to go SS his hidden power just doesn't make sense.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Let me give you another hot take: Frieza dying by the Spirit Bomb would be the best series closure. No Super Saiyan stuff or Namek blowing up.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Really depends if you see DBZ as the Gohan story or if Goku is still the main protagonist. If Gohan is the real hero of DBZ then Cell is the logical end of the series.

Oct 25, 2017
It probably would have kept going if they hadn't done the double whammy of Gotenks sucking and alienating the older fanbase, then Gohan not being to the younger fanbase's liking and alienating them.

There are some numbers out there, but the Gotenks run of the comic presided over a large drop off of readers year over year.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
And if that had happened we wouldn't have got the wonderful Cell Saga. Even Majin Buu was still a great arc.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me give you another hot take: Frieza dying by the Spirit Bomb would be the best series closure. No Super Saiyan stuff or Namek blowing up.

One hand no, absolutely not, but on the other hand I get it.

Goku's first transformation into a Super Saiyan is possibly the coolest thing ever, but it also inflicted a grievous wound on the stakes of the series: Whenever something bad happens, the hero can just get angry and magically overpower the villain. They don't have to use clever tactics or powerful attacks or herculean effort overpowering their physical limations, they just get a higher number that makes them win.

Jun 10, 2018
Goku with the send off sacrifice and passing the torch to Gohan has been the canon ending to DBZ in my head since first seeing it on Toonami.

There is no other moment in the franchise IMO that feels more "finale" worthy. Yes, including Freeza.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. While I don't know what the original intention was, it at least felt like Radditz -> Saiyans -> Namek -> Freiza was a cohesive story that incrementally raises the stakes and has a satisfying conclusion.

Although the Goku/Gohan bit was nice, the Cell saga feels like a DLC you play after the fact that actively shits on the story and themes set up in the previous arcs.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
For me the hidden power doesn't work unless it's from something special that only he is capable of which is why I wish he became SS and defeated Frieza on Namek.

Having Gohan be the only SS explains his hidden power but with Goku, Vegeta & Trunks all having the ability to go SS his hidden power just doesn't make sense.

Well I think SSJ2 could have been that hidden power, especially when it was shown that Vegeta and Trunk's new forms both had to make concessions (whether it be speed for power or the reverse) while Gohan's was essentially the "perfected" next SSJ form. It would've also thematically mirrored Cell's different forms as he tried to become Perfect

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Ending it after the Cell Games would have been pretty clean. Goku exits the stage and hands the torch to the next generation. And of course, the series would end with my boy Gohan on-top lol.

Last edited: