• Buu

Votes: 66 10.7%
  • Tournament of power

Votes: 26 4.2%
  • fb

Votes: 21 3.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. While I don't know what the original intention was, it at least felt like Radditz -> Saiyans -> Namek -> Freiza was a cohesive story that incrementally raises the stakes and has a satisfying conclusion.

While the Goku/Gohan bit is a nice, the Cell saga feels like a DLC you play after the fact that actively shits on the story and themes set up in the previous arcs.
Mm, I dunno; to me, Cell represents a culmination of everything Goku's gone up against, and it was nice to have it as a sequel to the Red Ribbon Army arc.

Jul 27, 2020
YEah the bosses get harder and tougher and everyhting scales up, but it's finite and the series does end. I dont count Super or GT, the series ends after Boo for me.

Jun 10, 2018
Ending with Cell probably would have been the best as it's where everything comes full circle. Goku's greatest enemy from his youth (outside of Piccolo, who is an ally) comes back with their most powerful weapon in history that threatens to wreck the shit out of the entire universe and beyond. Even Goku knows he's no match. And so Gohan, who has been built from the beginning as a coming of age story, finally surpasses his father, goes a level even beyond Super Saiyan, and wrecks Cell's shit, but just BARELY does so.
Actually I would say the opposite, which is why the Cell Saga/finale stands out among the rest:

SSJ2 Gohan so thoroughly outclasses the penultimate enemy that what should feel climatic feels like an absolute certainty. For once, it is our heroes who have the power edge over the villain, to the point you start to pity Cell getting his ass whooped.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
No, you have to go to Cell as it closes out the Gohan story with him surpassing Goku and closes out Vegeta who goes in retirement after finally turning the corner when Trunks got murked.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm mostly in agreement with OP. It's such a rare occurrence. I know power levels always had some holes but they felt like a progression that made sense as we worked from Saiyan to Frieza. Trunk's reveal was cool because of what had been built up but the idea that Androids (cyborgs) could be so strong just didn't ring true with everything that came before. Cell's explanation was better but I still thought he was mostly OP for the show's purposes rather than anything logical in-universe.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Well I think SSJ2 could have been that hidden power, especially when it was shown that Vegeta and Trunk's new forms both had to make concessions (whether it be speed for power or the reverse) while Gohan's was essentially the "perfected" next SSJ form. It would've also thematically mirrored Cell's different forms as he tried to become Perfect
I get that but being the 4th character to reach a level in a short period of time but doing it better than the other 3 just doesn't have the same impact as being the one and only person to achieve a power up that is a thousand year old legend.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
End Goku's stint as MC after Cell. Continue with Gohan as MC, including Super Saiyaman. Gohan is such a better character it's not even funny. As Gohan as MC would probably mean Piccolo gets more of a role, Objectively making DBZ better.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Actually I would say the opposite, which is why the Cell Saga/finale stands out among the rest:

SSJ2 Gohan so thoroughly outclasses the penultimate enemy that what should feel climatic feels like an absolute certainty. For once, it is our heroes who have the power edge over the villain, to the point you start to pity Cell getting his ass whooped.

And that is true initially, except Cell has one final trump card. He blows himself up, taking Goku - aka THE MAIN PROTAGONIST OF THE FUCKING SHOW - with him. But then using his combined Namek regeneration abilities and Saiyan ability to become stronger after a near-death situation, he's now EVEN FUCKING STRONGER than he was as Perfect Cell. And oh yeah, he burns out Gohan's arm. He's BARELY able to hold back the final Kamehameha, and only defeats Cell after a cheap shot from Vegeta, who also goes through one hell of an arc in this saga.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
End Goku's stint as MC after Cell. Continue with Gohan as MC, including Super Saiyaman. Gohan is such a better character it's not even funny. As Gohan as MC would probably mean Piccolo gets more of a role, Objectively making DBZ better.

Agreed. Plus you could have a really good arc for Vegeta as well, who has wanted to prove he was the strongest from day one, and now he's not just not even stronger than Goku, but not even stronger than Goku's KID. Also him now being married with a Dad provides a lot of growth for him.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cell arc was the worst arc and those cheerleading Gohan as the MC are weird. Gohan was shoved into the background for a majority of that arc.

Goku = DB

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Glad cell is winning. And I chose cell saga not because of gohan (he is a garbage character but that is for another thread), but because of all the time shenanigans. That shit was sick af.

Oh and the androids were some terminator shit.

d8914480955e43a6cfb6f35898ecc027d356e350r1-1404-1008v2_hq.jpg

The build up and then sudden terror when they realize they can't sense them. Their one advantage is gone. Knowing where they were and when they were didn't matter anymore. The searching... The searching... Until THE Z FIGHTERS ARE FOUND by them!

Then, the whole time, this fucking slithering green alien looking motherfucker is sucking the life out of people and slowly getting stronger!

images

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
If you have to pick one single spot, then yeah, after the series had been cracking jokes about how Goku must be an alien for years, having it wrap up with him offing the galactic tyrant who destroyed his home planet and consequently caused Goku to be sent to Earth in the first place is a good narrative bookend.

But ultimately, Dragon Ball is the story of Goku's continuing adventures, and the series has done a pretty good job of coming up with satisfying new people for him to punch since then.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
One hand no, absolutely not, but on the other hand I get it.

Goku's first transformation into a Super Saiyan is possibly the coolest thing ever, but it also inflicted a grievous wound on the stakes of the series: Whenever something bad happens, the hero can just get angry and magically overpower the villain. They don't have to use clever tactics or powerful attacks or herculean effort overpowering their physical limations, they just get a higher number that makes them win.
Goku's Super Saiyan transformation IS awesome, but assuming we are ending the series, then it would leave a rather anti-climatic taste. We would never see the form pushed to it's limit unless Toriyama adjusted Frieza's final form to pose a proper challenge to it. Which makes it necessary for the story to continue, including the return of Vegeta and other new characters to supply the demand for a post-super Saiyan scenario.

In the sense of ending the story, I think Frieza dying by the spirit bomb would be a powerful end. It would signal the hard, combined effort of everyone working together to bring an end to Frieza's empire. And without Super-saiyan being introduced, I feel like people would be satisfied with the power ceiling at that point and also Vegeta having a decent characters arc as a villain not-redeemed, but still a victim of Frieza who got to die fighting him.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the Buu arc, but Cell would have been a great ending to the series.

Haven't watched Super, but I am curious about it, just get can't past the animation/art style of the clips I've seen. Might try to ease myself in with the films one day.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Cell, Gohan surpasses his father and takes over as Earths new protector and the series ends with Goku "staying dead".

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Dragonball isn't really the kind of story that needs to end. It's a simplistic fighting story that doesn't have compelling dramatic arcs beyond a few tidbits of characters having powerful moments. The narrative involved in DB isn't something that requires wrapping things up as it's more based on perennial hype building.

It's like if Rocky, Apollo and Adonis Creed stayed in their primes until their 80s - there wouldn't be a need to have them stop taking on new challengers while throwing in some simple storylines around that.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
No.

I think both Android/Cell and Majin Boo are both good ways to "look back" at the original DB. Android/Cell being the result of Goku's fight with the Red Ribbon Army and Majin Boo being a tonal and thematic return to the goofy mysticism of the original series.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I really disagree here. I like Gohan as a character, but I like him in the way he's changed from a a reluctant kid fighter to a family and career man who only fights when it's absolutely necessary. I don't think he works as a main protagonist as well as Goku and he's better as a support ultimately.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Cell saga or Buu getting wrecked by gohan or vegetas sacrifice would have been great endings to their respective arcs.

Goku being the one to finish off buu after the saga became far too long was a big mistake imo. End of frieza saga would have had unfinished setups, especially gohan. Vegetas sacrifice should have triggered gohan to blow a damaged buu to kingdom come or something like that.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Making Gohan the main character of a series run on cathartic super powered fights would involve betraying everything the character was about. Dude doesn't like fighting and he'll step up to protect the Earth but he'll never be the fight happy berserker a series like Dragon Ball asks for.

Great Saiyaman is funny, you could recapture a lot of the spirit of OG Dragon Ball through him, but when it got back to world ending death matches that's just not Gohan's character. He'd just end up this miserable angry dude constantly forced to fight when all he wants to do is get a job and hang out with his wife and daughter.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Naw. Cell arc was the culmination of the true main character of Z. Gohan. They had a good thing going with Teen Gohan in HS but they ruined all of that.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
If it HAD to definitely end, then the Cell arc would have been it. But y'all have wrong opinions if y'all think the Buu saga and Dragon Ball Super aren't still extremely fun to watch.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Cell saga because everything from DB to DBZ comes full circle..well almost
An enemy of Gokus from DB (red ribbon), a villain that encompasses all DBZ characters, Son surpasses father, Goku decides earth is finally okay with out him.

it was honestly the perfect spot for it to end though Buus death was awesome

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Should have ended with the Cell arc. I watched the Buu arc enough to get a good idea of what was going on, but Buu as the nearly indestructible villain who also has multiple transformations was plain boring.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Story-wise yeah maybe it would have been more neat that way, but man, Cell and the androids are such iconic villains, it would be a shame missing out on all that.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Like what would ending it at these points in the story actually accomplish other than giving people an opportunity to clap their hands together and think 'and that's that'. Wrapping things up in a neat little package becomes a fetish at some point.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Nah to frieza. Way too much important stuff comes afterward and if it ended there the show would have been great and ended on a high note, sure, but it would not have the fandom it has today because it would have been too short to generate it.

Maybe to Cell. It brought some great development to Goku finally realizing he can step aside and let others take over and is the perfect baton handoff to the next generation.

Buu saga gets into some fun stuff that I enjoyed, especially Vegeta's jealousy coming to a head and him turning "evil" again. What a perfect and believable return to form that helped him realize what was really important and what he had to do to grow. Buu did unfortunately just turn back to Goku again though so it can be a bit frustrating.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should have ended with the Wedding Dress arc. Really ties everything together with a nice neat bow.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude doesn't like fighting and he'll step up to protect the Earth but he'll never be the fight happy berserker a series like Dragon Ball asks for.
That's the point. Gohan as reluctant hero and protector is much more interesting character drama than big dumb oaf Goku whos one character trait is that he wants to fight.
Gohan is very similar to The Hulk in that he is usually the strongest dude in the room but doesn't really care to fight.
I just feel there's so much potential for storytelling beyond Goku trains to get stronger...and does!

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Finish in the cell arc. Goku dead, doesnt want to revive, and gohan as the new guardian of the earth.

THE END.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point. Gohan as reluctant hero and protector is much more interesting character drama than big dumb oaf Goku whos one character trait is that he wants to fight.
Gohan is very similar to The Hulk in that he is usually the strongest dude in the room but doesn't really care to fight.
I just feel there's so much potential for storytelling beyond Goku trains to get stronger...and does!

Yeah that's the problem. It's character drama, and Dragon Ball doesn't do character drama. It's goofy Shonen action.

Besides, eventually we'd get bored of Gohan constantly getting forced back into the fray and complaining that he just wants to sit down for a date with his wife.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything after androids/cell for me is filler lmao

That arc was insane

Androids from the future

Goku heart attack pills

Vegeta getting his arm broke

Cell from the future

Androids teaming up with the z fighters

Goku trains and bonds with Gohan

Goku does the big oof and gives Cell a senzu bean

Trunks gets killed

Goku gets killed

Gohan does his thing

Vegeta actually saves the day

It was a crazy as hell Rollercoaster ride from start to finish.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Freeza is where it was "supposed" to end which is pretty apparent. That said, I've really enjoyed Super, and the Android/Cell/Buu sagas were a necessity to get the pieces in place for that. Android and Cell can be enjoyable. Buu was an absolute slog.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
My hot take is that Dragon Ball has never been bad, and I hope it goes on forever.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the problem. It's character drama, and Dragon Ball doesn't do character drama. It's goofy Shonen action.

Besides, eventually we'd get bored of Gohan constantly getting forced back into the fray and complaining that he just wants to sit down for a date with his wife.

That dynamic sounds infinitely more interesting that what we got.

Besides, eventually someone else would have/should have taken over.