WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think my PS4 just died? I think I have a broken hdmi port or something cause I have tried different tvs and different chords and nothing seems to pick it up. Anyone else have a similar problem?

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
I have a launch unit, still works fine but it may be a tad louder that it used to be.
I know a lot of the launch dualshocks 4 had issues with worn out sticks but mine has worked out just fine and it still is in very good condition!

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I've had mine since launch and still works great. Pretty quiet too. It just doesn't feel like I've had it for more than four years. It doesn't seem anywhere near that long to me. I still feel like it's pretty new, lol.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
My launch PS4 Pro decided to not read discs this week. Just makes a jazzy sound and refuses to spin up discs without multiple ejects.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
6 months after I got my launch PS4 the Dualshocks thumbsticks started to tear off, and then 2 years later the thing died (HDMI failure), so I don't see how it could have gone any worse lol.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Hdmi port on my launch model seems to be more and more finicky recently, it kinda worries me.
I got mine after the first price cut and it's starting to misbehave a little for me, too. I have it set up to turn on and toggle input on my TV, but lately my TV occasionally fails to recognize it. Only happening with it, not really with my other HDMI devices.

Basically every PlayStation I've ever owned begins to suck at reading discs about 3-4 years in, so I'm just waiting for that next.

but I've been burned on a couple digital purchases so I want the flexibility and fast installs of physical. Really happy to be done forever with discs (and installs, generally) on Switch.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Launch PS4 still going strong. Has the occasional crash but I think that's due to the games I'm playing (noticed it mostly with GT Sport but still only talking about like 3 or 4 crashes in well over 100 hours gameplay). It's pretty noisy during any intensive game but I can't complain. Got my money's worth.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 Pro is less than a year old. Sold my OG PS4 to a friend but it still works fine.

Hoping this keeps on trucking. Aside from my PS1, every PS console I had had some sort of problem. My PS3 just randomly dies and I'm sure it's gonna YLOD. My PS2 just randomly scratches discs, though it's not hard to put a temporary fix on it.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I had issues with my first 2 PS4 Pro's, the system I bought new and the first Sony replacement. Same problem on each, randomly shutting off during gameplay/movies. Luckily the system they sent now has been working perfectly for almost 6 months so I think I'm in the clear. Still, it was frustrating to have that same problem happen twice.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got my PS4 in early January 2014. For awhile now when I play the engine gets super loud. When I'm playing CoD WW2 I almost think it's going to die on me.

Can't afford a Pro and I don't want to clean it. I know I would lose a screw lol

I'm just hoping she stays running until 2020.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Sold my launch PS4 last month. Very good condition, no serious problems during its run. I'm sure the new owner is content.

My PS4 Pro, which I've had for a year, worries me a bit. The hard drive makes a bit of noise. Not bad "I'm dying" clicks, just noisy data reading, like a 90s PC. Sometimes, when I exit the PS store, the main menu gets laggy as hell and I hear the hard drive reading... reading....

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually mine was really sluggish the whole time I had it and just got a bit more smooth 2 updates ago or so. It's also really silent unless I play "AAA" games, which rarely happens, I play it very rarely anyways , I mostly game on my PS3 and my laptop.

Going to sell the PS4 soon, if the buyer asks why I want 230 euros I'll just say "it's really silent", ya'll think that'll help? ~

(bought 2016 btw)

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
My Destiny LE seems to be doing pretty dandy since late 2015. Doesn't get loud enough that I notice.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
OG 500GB PS4 still running good. Though it does sound like its going to blast off into space when the fans kick up. It also has P.T. still installed on it. One day, I do want to open it and clean the dust out of it, and replace the thermal paste in it. Is that difficult to do or is it simple enough?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ive got a white OG PS4 from about a year after launch and it's going strong! Sounds a bit like a jet engine on a lot of games but apart from that it's still rocking.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have a Summer 2014 model and it's fine. Plays Blu-Rays and VR like a champ. No louder than its ever been, AFAIK. Less loud than my PC, anyway.

I threw in a 2TB hybrid drive a few months ago when I started doing the VR stuff. Thank god for that.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I got the white Destiny console when it came out. Seems to be okay. The controller went to shit after a couple of years, and sometimes I have to unplug/plug back in the HDMI port because it's just a black screen. I'd say it could be my aging TV, but it doesn't happen with any other console.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I bought mine in 2015. Did not play that much until the start of 2018.
While playing monster hunter it sounds like a jet engine lmao.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Got a launch model and i clean the inside of mines once a year and also replaced thermal paste recently and its running great

Though the HDMI acts crazy sometimes hmm

Sold my launch PS4 last month. Very good condition, no serious problems during its run. I'm sure the new owner is content.

My PS4 Pro, which I've had for a year, worries me a bit. The hard drive makes a bit of noise. Not bad "I'm dying" clicks, just noisy data reading, like a 90s PC. Sometimes, when I exit the PS store, the main menu gets laggy as hell and I hear the hard drive reading... reading....
Did you replace the hard drive?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Mine seems to be holding up okay - I put a 2TB drive in it almost immediately and that solved my main issue with the system.

My only complaint is that when I eject a disc it sounds like the motor is dying, but it's been that way since I got it so I assume it's normal. Both my PS3 revisions had sad sounding eject mechanisms too.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
My PS4 has taken a turn for the worse... it crashes like every 10-30 minutes. In games with frequent auto-saving like Assassin's Creed and The Last Guardian, I was frustrated but dealt with it... but Monster Hunter World was absolutely unplayable with this issue. There is nothing like battling a monster for 45 minutes, only to have your game crash and lose the entire fight. Or to unlock a new map and spend an hour picking your way across the map defogging everything only for the PS4 to shit itself and kick you back to square one twice.

I later came to realize that sleep mode might be part of the problem. Each time I slept my console, when I woke it back up there was a 90% chance of a crash within a half hour. And then even booting the game back up without restarting the console would also lead to a crash almost every time. So now I just turn my PS4 off if I'm taking a break, even if it's just for a couple hours. It still crashes sometimes but it doesn't seem to be as bad. Anyone else have this problem? This is actively causing me to consider forgoing the better visuals and performance and getting Dark Souls Remastered on Switch :(

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
have a c chassis here,my hdd was dead after 1.5 years(out of warranty unfortunately),went for a replacement hdd and now i'm perfectly fine. I think they cut corners with hdd quality this time,as I've read about this subject a lot throughout the internet when I had the problem

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Near launch PS4, surprisingly good condition although a bit loud. Still on the original controllers too.. and of course PT

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Launch day PS4 still works fine. Maybe had it crash 2 or 3 times over he years. Occasionally gets loud briefly? Traveled with it a lot too. Feel like I'm very lucky.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 had the disc eject issue. Tried all the fixes but it always came back like a month later.

So bought another ps4 last year and its been fine.

Deleted member 23075

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The bluetooth connection would ocassionally go wonky with my launch unit. Would be playing games and my viewpoint in games would spaz out with spins and movements without me touching the sticks whatsoever.

I traded it in for a launch Pro and it's been smooth. Would be nice to get a 4k tv at some point to complement it.

Deleted member 4541

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My OG model is still going strong. It's loud as fuck, but still working. The only issue I've ever had (*knocks on wood*) is that it will occasionally boot up without sound. Thus far, a restart has always fixed the issue.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't know as I'm on my 4 and 5th PS4 both Pros now.

I had a launch black that I sold. I had a white Destiny that I sold. I had a black Uncharted Collection bundle model that I traded in to Gamestop and now I have a black launch Pro and a white Destiny 2 Pro.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
My launch Ps4 is still going strong. May have to properly clean it though. I hope It's going to last another year or two, so that I can keep my new Pro at home while I take the OG model to university.

Deleted member 33744

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
My 1TB Slim makes weird clicking noises for the first few seconds of reading a disc (think PS2 reading cd's back in the day), and that was right out of the box. It has held up so far since most of my library is digital, but I'm worried it will crap out at some point.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Did you replace the hard drive?
Stock hard drive. I've thought about replacing it, but the issue hasn't escalated. Games play fine, proper saving and loading, and no crashes or errors. I back everything up now a days. I even performed a full initialization to see if anything changed and to remove games I didn't play anymore. It's still on the noisy side. I'll see how it goes.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Stock hard drive. I've thought about replacing it, but the issue hasn't escalated. Games play fine, proper saving and loading, and no crashes or errors. I back everything up now a days. I even performed a full initialization to see if anything changed and to remove games I didn't play anymore. It's still on the noisy side. I'll see how it goes.
Yeah that or using usb external hard drive will probably do the job

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I've got the silver Batman SKU from the Arkahm Knight launch, and tbh it's starting to take quite a bit longer to wake up from hibernation than it used to. Other than that, no complaints.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
my old ps4 and launch pro both very well. and I've pre-ordered the God of War limited console.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Launch ps4...disc drive doesn't work anymore and it's louder than a launch xbox360....have replaced thermal paste and cleaned to no avail

Second ps4 I have 3 case fans attached plus thermal paste replacement and it runs much quieter than my original but is still loud from time to time

My ps4 pro was very loud but a got a usb fan and have it sitting on the left side blowing into the case and it stops it sounding like a hair salon.