pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I have a launch PS4, up until last year did pretty well, but then started to get the jet engine sound during almost any game. Took it apart and was shocked at how much dust was in there, especially since I don't smoke, have no pets, and keep the system well ventilated. Ever since has sounded infinitely better, so highly recommend taking it apart and cleaning it.

Oct 25, 2017
Works fine, fall 2014 model. Has barely been used, and has only current been so thanks to PSVR. I now have to find a reasonably priced Seagate Firecuda 2TB for the thing because 500GB is insufficient for a console that requires games to be installed to the HDD. And I don't think that'll be enough for the years of plus games I've been stacking.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine started making a noise I can only describe as an electronic scream last summer, so loud and high pitched that it caused immediate panic. After fretting and drinking a few beers I ended up angrily walking down to the nearest store and buying a Pro for a replacement. It was heavily HEAVILY used though.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
My OG launch day PS4 sounds like a jet but functionally it works fine.

I really wish I still had my Pro though, I sold it to be able to afford my PC and that thing was so incredibly quiet that it is difficult playing the OG again. Unfortunately the controllers have seen better days, the rubber has basically come off and they're a little squeaky. At least they aren't sticky or anything though.

DriftedPlanet

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't have one but my friend's launch PS4 revs up like a jet engine whenever it has to start rendering 3d graphics. One of his controllers doesn't charge anymore. Another controller will only light up when charging. Seems to run things at normal speed still.

Deschain

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went to turn my Pro on yesterday and it wouldn't turn on. Tried unpluggng and reattaching all cables but no joy.

Just tried it again and it's still unresponsive. Not really sure what to do with it now.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
Got a launch PS4 and it's still running perfectly. Though I'm now fearing a fault occurring after posting this!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Launch PS4 here. Replaced the 500 GB HD years ago with a 4TB that failed a couple of months ago. I put a spare 2TB in and hooked up a 4TB external.

I've had issues with rest mode ever since the feature was available. It starts incorrectly or wants to send off data due to unseen errors. The interface is extremely boggy from time to time as well.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Launch/mgsv/pro all work perfectly fine.

All shockingly loud from day one which is really poor.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Mine (bought at launch ) has that annoying disc spewing problem , and I don't use discs ! Keeps making the whirring noise every while .

Tried all the fixes , but not making much difference .

Might have to upgrade to the pro .

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Feels brand new, granted I have used it extremely sparingly and not as much as I want to but even when I do play for hours, it's still fairly quiet. I haven't had any issues or freezing or anything. My friend's PS4 on the other hand sounds like a lawnmower when it's idle and then like a jet when playing games. I feel its because he constantly puts it behind the TV, or awkward angles or in dusty rooms.

Eirulan

Oct 28, 2017
Sold my launch PS4 and bought a Pro on BF but it has been absolutely fine until then and still is (I know the new owner)

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Still doing great, bought it in the spring of 2014. I changed the hard drive for a 2tb seagate drive 1,5 years later, still no problem.
Around the end of 2016 the system started to get really hot and really loud, so I opened it up and cleaned the dust out of it. Went back to working fine and silent like when I bought it. Been doing this every 4 - 5 months ever since.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still have my launch one with no problems (thank god). Most of my friends have had to replace their launch units due to issues like the console randomly ejecting games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I bought a used PS4 from cowboom back in 2015. It's held up fine. Hasn't been used a lot the past couple years.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Launch day unit died just before xmas but it would still be going if i didn't do a terrible job replacing the thermal paste.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have a launch PS4 and it is still going strong, even though it's mainly a Netflix box at this point.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
My launch OG one is still chugging along fine with my cousin. Got a launch Pro which can get loud in demanding games (most recently the MH beta) but it doesn't quite go jet engine level as the fans spin slower once it cools to a certain point. I tried the thermal pad and paste replacement since it's out of warranty now and idle hands etc.. but it works about the same.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
3 years old still going strong.

DS4 on the other hand is garbage. OG one has sticky L1/R1, R2 broken spring, creaking plastics, and two hours battery life.
I bought a new one 2 weeks ago and it's already creaking.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Launch day and it's still doing what it's supposed to do. Sometimes it makes a little more noise than usual but that usually goes away after a while.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't wake up from sleep like 40% of the time, it doesn't download updates while it's asleep, and the download speed is always super low.

DJ Meida

Nov 5, 2017
I had a launch unit but the fan on it got loud... really loud. I could hear it from down the hallway loud. I was worried that it was gonna die on me, so I started to play more on my Xbox as that was whisper quiet in comparison.

Fortunately over the holidays EB Games had a $99 trade in program which got me a brand new PS4 Slim, a new controller (my original one had the peeling rubber stick problem) and a copy of battlefront 2 (meh) I'm happy I made the trade in because the slim is so quiet and in return I game a lot more on my PS4

DC1

Nov 21, 2017
My family has 4 (Launch PS4, Launch Pro and two additional slims for Minecraft/Just Dance/Netflix boxes (the two additional boxs do not get alot of run). I have had no problems with either.

However,...I did go through 4 TVs and way to many controllers during this time! At some point the PS4s will have some explaining to do.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 since very soon after launch.

Been working fine (if getting a little noisy over the last year).

For the last 2-3 weeks it has been randomly going into rest mode whilst in use. Sometimes 10 minutes after turning it on, others 3 hours. I was worried that this is due to a build up of dust etc... inside, which is certainly a possibility. Though, yesterday it actually turned itself on from being in rest mode, which makes me think it could be an issue with the power "button".

Anyone else had anything like this?

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
My launch console only worked for a few months but Sony shipped me a replacement and I gained another ds4 out of it.

Then I put it up for sale the day the Pro was confirmed, and my Pro so far is going strong and I lucked out as even under load it isn't very loud.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Day 1 PS4 is still fine. Can get some major slow down on the dashboard every now and then, usually from quickly switching between apps/games and occasionally get a random soft reboot, but it's usually never during a game, so doesn't really affect me much.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
My launch PS4 is still going great with no issues while gaming and all that... even the original DS4 is still going great. The fan does spool up for certain games, but for the most part it is still just as quiet as on launch day while gaming. However, what I have noticed is that if I power the thing off, which I do after every gaming session, and I put my ear right up to the thing, then I can hear a very high pitched tone, which I will guess means that one of the capacitors has started to leak and is probably the 60 Hz hum I'm hearing... not that big of a deal and again, I can only hear it powered off and you put your ear right on top of the thing.

Computer

Oct 31, 2017
Scotland
Cleaned all the dust out the launch PS4 multiple times and when I switch it it sounds like I'm standing at an airport. Pretty much forced to use earphones otherwise it's too loud and distracting for the monitor.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
I gave my launch PS4 away to my son and it's starting to sound a bit like a hairdryer. It also tends to overheat very quickly. I'm sure a quick dust out and maybe changing the thermal paste will help matters.

I bought an updated 1tb model for myself and that's absolutely fine. No problems at all and quiet as a mouse.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
destiny 1 white PS4 here... it runs games and apps just fine, sounds like a jet engine with demanding games though

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mine is old (1 year after launch, I guess). Had to fix the hdmi port and the eject button recently. Other than that, working fine.

MaxwellGT2000

Nov 5, 2017
I got mine at launch, the disc drive is messing up, been kinda disappointed in that, thinking about just upgrading to a Pro but I had disc drive issues with the PS3 as well so I'm just like... these generations hardware quality is just not up to par.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
bought mine at bloodborne launch and it's holding up well

i'm not sure my usage is representative as i'm not playing a huge amount of AAA super-pretty graphics games that push the hardware. not sure whether that would have any effect

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Mine is still ticking, it's hella slow though but that's because of it's garbage OS/Interface.

The controllers however are in rough shape.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mine is still fine, but I sometimes forget how much of a jet engine it is. I haven't used it at all either this year. Seems like they blew their load in 2017 and having nothing to offer this year.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
My four-months-after-launch PS4 is still going strong, and it's not especially loud either (never was). I'm on my second DS4, though, due to a split in the rubber on the left analog stick of the first one, and not being quite satisfied with any of the replacement grips I tried (the comfortable ones were not very durable and vice versa).

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
My Pro is loud during certain games (The Witcher 3 is awful), silent during others. Can't exchange it as I bought it around launch.