• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People listen to rap thinking the guys/ girls did everything or anything they said in there songs? Is this the start of one of those terrible is this rapper fake or real type conversations.
I don't think he did anything of what he said. My point was show that sometimes people look past the artist if they enjoy the art. Which is relevant to this thread.

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't get away with anything. Chris's career to a big hit after the news of the assault came out. And R. Kelly isn't nearly as big as he was before the pee tape scandal came out.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think he did anything of what he said. My point was show that sometimes people look past the artist if they enjoy the art. Which is relevant to this thread.

You mean these guys abusing women is some how the same as rick ross becasue he wasnt really a big drug kingpin? I don't see the logic of comparing them at all and I don't see your point. You're basically comparing artist that did really fucked up things to an artist who you question the merits of authenticity of their music.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's not hip-hop culture. Happens in rock too. A lot of folks knew Jesse Lacey from Brand New was a creep and still supported him. Then you have Trump zealots.

It's a, "our society is f***** up" thing :)

Yeah, people say "hip hop culture" is sexist in some ways, and sure, but music in general is still moreso imo.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean these guys abusing women is some how the same as rick ross becasue he wasnt really a big drug kingpin? I don't see the logic of comparing them at all and I don't see your point. You're basically comparing artist that did really fucked up things to an artist who you question the merits of authenticity of their music.

I understand there obviously different situations but my point stays the same. People look past artists authenticity, behaviours, and beliefs if they like the music. Whether it's bullshit or not.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggie smalls, Rick Ross, easy e, PAC etc. Rapped about beating bitches and much more other rappers. And there all considered legends in hip hop. Damn straight it's a hip hop thing.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
They didn't get away with anything. Chris's career to a big hit after the news of the assault came out. And R. Kelly isn't nearly as big as he was before the pee tape scandal came out.
Come on man, even the very first post of the topic offers a valid comparison.

They got away with some serious shit.

But generally I think people are simply forgetting how little our society cared about sexual assault prior to #metoo

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Biggie smalls, Rick Ross, easy e, PAC etc. Rapped about beating bitches and much more other rappers. And there all considered legends in hip hop. Damn straight it's a hip hop thing.
No, there's sexism everywhere. Even in other male fronted genres. Just listen to some early Fall Out Boy. They were basically calling young girls whores, saying they wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire and advocating suicide.

Then like I said you have folks like Trump and the sycophants he surrounds himself with.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I do think black victims don't get nearly the same play in the media as white victims I don't think that's the root of this. I think in the music industry people just get away with things much more than other industries like film or television. You think #MeToo isn't happening in music? Please. Shit is probably rampant.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's not because the victims were black that they got away with it. I mean plenty of white men abused women and got away with it just ask Trump. It's more that some of these famous people have as much ardent lovers as they do haters. So it's not just something where they will vanish into the dark because at the end of the day lots of people still support them through their evil deeds.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Unless they catch you on tape beating a woman, I think psychologically a lot their supporters especially women just use plausible deniability. If they don't see it, it doesn't exist.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, there's sexism everywhere. Even in other male fronted genres. Just listen to some early Fall Out Boy. They were basically calling young girls whores, saying they wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire and advocating suicide.

Then like I said you have folks like Trump and the sycophants he surrounds himself with.
What else besides crappy ass fall out boy?

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh, oh, I'm just imagining the scenario if it was Taylor Swift that Chris Brown assaulted.
Difference too is that Taylor Swift would've destroyed him. She would have been way more proactive than Rihanna was.
I think that's part of the problem too, at lot of the victims don't pursue things to the max, look at the girl that just got throw around by that nba rapper, she's already posting videos making excuses for him, saying that that's just the way the play around. Yup, I'm sure getting body slammed on the floor is just for laughs.

Oct 31, 2017
As much as I don't like Chris, he didn't object the charges and went to jail. Now you can say he didn't spend as much time as he should.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Agree that both their careers took a hit,as someone else said Brown was kinda the black Beiber before he threw it away by beating Riri. Kelly is still around doing collabs and what not but also went from top to like... mid-tier. It's crazy that they both are still around though. I don't know anyone who says they like Chris Brown but low and behold his music keeps coming out.

Even more so I thought Brown would do image shift to being an absolute good boy to save himself or something but hes still doing videos about women and partying.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
What else besides crappy ass fall out boy?
"Turn around, bitch, I got a use for you/ Besides, you ain't got nothing better to do/ And I'm bored."

Guns N Roses - It's So Easy

----------

And this:

Johnny Cash — "Cocaine Blues"

"The judge he smiled as he picked up his pen/ 99 years in the Folsom pen/ 99 years underneath that ground/ I can't forget the day I shot that bad bitch down/ Come on you gotta' listen to unto me/ Lay off that whiskey, let that cocaine be."

Then you have my favorite band, The Killers. This song is basically about the lead singer taking his girlfriend to a show, and killing her, but most people don't catch it.

Then you have another one from The Killers' frontman that's basically about watching his crush through the window before breaking into her house and butchering her:

------------

Shit is everywhere, man. You can do some research and find more on your own. Whether you think all of this is crappy is totally irrelevant. Sexism is prevalent in every genre.

Last edited:

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Because it involves women of color, particularly black women and it frustrates me to know that no one gives a shit. As soon as the Bill Cosby accusers went forward people were calling Bill Cosby, Pill Cosby, but when you talk about Chris Brown or R. Kelly, people will continue to make bullshit excuses. Fuck Chris Brown and R. Kelly.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And if Tyson had competent representation and not Don King's tax attorney or whatever he was, Tyson probably would've walked. Then again even if it was innocent it could be considered karma for all the other shit he did especially abusing his ex-wife Robin Givens

Tyson was ill-advised, for sure. It took a special group of outrageous and legendary vibrant personalities to motivate young Tyson and keep him in the right frame of mind. Tough/straight-forwards guys with heart like D'amato, Atlas, Rooney, and Jacobs. His behavior around women was everyone's biggest fear, and after all the people who cared about tyson were removed, his behavior was escalating worse and worse. I believe her account of what happened was not really in debate much at the time, but I may have been mislead by sensationalist documentary makers on that. They framed it as if the question came down to "when does consent end?" If Ms. Washington agrees to do A, does she not have the right to refuse B or C? Would an average man in Mike's shoes have done the same?

Of course, I don't know for sure what happened. I, too, feel like a competent local attorney with a background in these kind of cases could have gotten him reduced charges or sentencing. But regardless, his behavior with women was getting out of control and it was only a matter of time before he got pinched for his behavior. There were a ton of women from that time who had stories that today would be a much bigger deal on their own, so I'm inclined to believe Ms. Washington's account. But, I don't know for sure.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Tyson was ill-advised, for sure. It took a special group of outrageous and legendary vibrant personalities to motivate young Tyson and keep him in the right frame of mind. Tough/straight-forwards guys with heart like D'amato, Atlas, Rooney, and Jacobs. His behavior around women was everyone's biggest fear, and after all the people who cared about tyson were removed, his behavior was escalating worse and worse. I believe her account of what happened was not really in debate much at the time, but I may have been mislead by sensationalist documentary makers on that. They framed it as if the question came down to "when does consent end?" If Ms. Washington agrees to do A, does she not have the right to refuse B or C? Would an average man in Mike's shoes have done the same?

Of course, I don't know for sure what happened. I, too, feel like a competent local attorney with a background in these kind of cases could have gotten him reduced charges or sentencing. But regardless, his behavior with women was getting out of control and it was only a matter of time before he got pinched for his behavior. There were a ton of women from that time who had stories that today would be a much bigger deal on their own, so I'm inclined to believe Ms. Washington's account. But, I don't know for sure.

I had to look it up again but the accusation that she had made a false rape claim in the past hadn't been discovered until after Tyson's conviction though again competent representation with specialization in rape cases would've been very aggressive in digging into her past to find anything and everything to undermine her credibility. I think it's entirely possible she consented to one thing but then on Tyson's own admission of liking rough sex it turned into something she wasn't okay with and he ignored it, which would still be classified as rape though probably not in Tyson's mind given the attitudes of such things then. But yeah, even if he was totally innocent in this case it probably wouldn't be long before something else happened.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19930227&slug=1687682

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows. But Chris Brown had some classics after the incident. That talented piece of shit.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge Lil Dicky fan, but I can't believe he made his most recent song with Chris Brown.

And going through the comments on that page... I didn't see any comments about how fucked up Chris Brown is. Makes me so frustrated.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Probably depends how big you are and whether or not you were convicted of anything. Mystikal didn't get away with it!

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I noticed Chris Brown shifted from a kind of loverboy RnB angel into being more of a gangster bad boy image around the time he beat Rihanna. Out of necessity, I thought... but it worked. Hip-hop loves a bad boy G, or at least sure did a decade ago. Plenty of fans willing to look past a lot if you're playing the naughtiness up as cool.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Chris Brown got away with it. He got sentenced and his career took a huge hit.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their fanbases don't give a shit.

The fact that Brown beat up one of the most popular artists on the fucking planet tells me that it ain't about their victims, it's about their fans.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
His fan base and the people around him have been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too forgiving... I mean, even Rihanna forgives him and is friends with him... (Chris Brown)

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That's another big question of mine. Why? In the era of #MeToo and not fucking with famous people who get away with the mistreatment of women, how does Chris Brown manage to keep his female fans?
I think due to sexism and our patriarchal society are a *lot* of women who make excuses for men to the detriment of women, my wife is like that, her friends are like that, I don't get it. They will be the first to say people saying Me Too are looking for money or somehow asked for it. It sucks how often I hear that sentiment and as a man I can say I disagree with it and why but I don't think it's my place to try to "correct" a woman.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Chris Brown got away with it. He got sentenced and his career took a huge hit.
In some respects, I agree, but when you look at it, he's had multiple albums go platinum after the beating, and arguably his three most successful singles of his entire career (Yeah Yeah Yeah, Loyal, Look At Me Now) came afterwards, including multiple smash #1 hits, pretty much everybody in the industry still works with him aside from like Jay (who never worked with him), Rihanna forgave him, etc.

He "got away" with it and came out of it all with more notoriety. This all depends on what you think of his plea deal, but if we're not talking what's on legal documents exclusively, pretty much everything he's done post-breakup with Karreuche gives me reason to believe there's still a dangerous dude out there.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Chris Brown got away because of his fanbase. Idk how the hell R Kelly is getting away with running a sex cult though lmao

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Chris Brown did get away with it because as talented as Chris Brown is, he should have become the next Michael Jackson or the male Beyonce. His career took a mega-hit to where yeah he's still a superstar but not like he used to be. It's crazy thinking about that time because I remember those numerous "the next MJ" comments, Brown was fucking everywhere and then that shit happened. Rihanna blew up and Brown took that hit but he somehow stayed alive due to the situation and his talent. Man had a 3 disc album people are still talking about.

And what's wilder is that Chris kept being in the headlines years later. You couldn't escape Chris Brown news for like the next 8 years.