• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what they did to it, but in the UK at least, spiced gold went to shit about 2 years ago. It barely even tastes like rum now... more like flavoured syrup.

Really pisses me off, because I used to really like it.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for Mount Gay XO and Plantation XO. Used to drink a lot of Diplomatico but now I'm on the Barbados rum train.

Dos Maderas 5+5 is also good stuff, and if you're looking for a drinkable gold rum and have the means, Smatt's has a unique flavor.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid of putting my Gosling 151 in a flask because I fear I will catch on fire :( I measure that stuff into my drinks by tablespoons, not shots lol

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
So after drinking bicardi and coke all through college, I saw this thread and decided to try some Diplimatico. Goddamn, it's good. This is the first liquor I can see myself drinking straight, but I tried a Less Is More (basically just club soda with orange and a shot of rum) and it's also really good. Recommend me some good drinks to make with it, y'all, I want to try more.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried Foursquare? I was picking up a bottle of Plantation XO this afternoon and another customer in the liquor store randomly came up to me and starting talking rum. That was one of his recommendations.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a bit gutted. The rum in the duty free was even more expensive than I'd pay at home, so I didn't get any.

There was an awesome shop in Amsterdam, but I was hand baggage only so I couldn't get it from there on the rest of my trip. :(

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God! I bought myself some rum a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it occasionally, it's so good, so nice to just sit and chill at home and have a few sips.

The rum I bought was Havana Club Anejo Especial Rum.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh my God! I bought myself some rum a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it occasionally, it's so good, so nice to just sit and chill at home and have a few sips.

The rum I bought was Havana Club Anejo Especial Rum.

That seems nice, I ended up buying Captain Morgan but that caught my eye, so how does it tastes?

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
FAO: Anyone in the UK.
Sainsbury's have started selling one of Oliver & Oliver's latest offerings, 'Kirk and Sweeney 12 year old'
It's only £30 and is a fantastic price point for those looking for a decent quality rum with a sweet edge. I have a bottle of the 23 year old and whilst a fair bit more refined, still is close in taste.

Edit: I think Kirk and Sweeney has been selling in the US for a while, so maybe our friends over the pond can testify if they think it's as good.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Like holy shit bros ...

LWPm34Ol.jpg

That's one of eight pages...

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Rum is great. And you really don't have to spend very much to get something pretty good. Just avoiding well rum and bottom shelf tripe is generally enough to get you something decent enough. The more aged stuff with different spices and such is where it gets pretty good. I don't really drink much anymore, but rum is tops for me.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm currently on vacation and my father and I decided to hit up the nearby liquor store. Finally got around to picking up Ron Zacapa 23 and I have to say I prefer it over Diplomatico. It's less spicy and has a sweeter finish (can definitely taste the vanilla). Mixing this with a Coke is awesome.

Oct 26, 2017
My brother should be here in about an hour or so and has picked up a bottle of the Zacapa XO for me (available where he lives but not where I live). Pretty stoked to try it out.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Added three more bottles to the collection.

Old J Tiki Fire (this is for some cocktail fun at xmas)
Cut (To The) Spice
Cargo Cult Spiced

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Probably about 60/40 spiced. Maybe 50 bottles total at the moment.
I'm around the same I think... probably 30 of which are rums. More Demerara rum than anything else... fair amount of Plantation (OFTD)... and a TON of Hamilton (love the different styles he has). I stick to one spiced rum at a time, just because it takes me so long to get through it usually - right now it's Chairman's Reserve. I'll mix it with some winter flavors or eggnog soon.

sayuuna

Sep 6, 2018
臺灣 「 臺北市 」
Anybody here have any information on this rum? I'm not much of a spirits kind of guy, but I brought this home from my great Aunts house after she passed, as no one else wanted it. The tag on the cap has a date of December 1959 I believe, and there is a red stamp on the front of the bottle that may indicate a date of 1970.

It is from Haïti. I know because I am from there and my parents own like 50 bottles.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holding off on the Zacapa XO until Thanksgiving tomorrow.

I personally prefer the 23 to the XO. I have a friend who agrees. The 23 is smoother and has a more balanced flavor. The XO is a little rough around the edges (in a good way). It's a little, I dunno, spicier? Like burnt brown sugar. Still really good, but for the price I'm sticking to the 23 from now on so my current bottle of XO will be my last.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Cuban rum is one of the best i've ever had. Havana club 7 anos negro is called. I would go travel to Cuba for the weekend just to bring back $800 worth of it.

Zacapa XO is good too.

Oct 26, 2017
I personally prefer the 23 to the XO. I have a friend who agrees. The 23 is smoother and has a more balanced flavor. The XO is a little rough around the edges (in a good way). It's a little, I dunno, spicier? Like burnt brown sugar. Still really good, but for the price I'm sticking to the 23 from now on so my current bottle of XO will be my last.
The XO is smooth though, and particularly it doesn't have that alcohol burn as it goes down. My wife will usually never drink alcohol neat because of that burn, but she tasted this and admitted that while she probably still won't drink it straight she actually thought it was pretty good.

I agree that the 23 is amazing, and I ultimately still think the Plantation XO is my fave, but I will likely wind up rolling another Zacapa XO at some point when I want to splurge.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Nice - you'll appreciate it for what Cuba is. Still a lot to be done socially and economically.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well since this thread is moving along again I might as well share my recent acquisition:

Abuelo-12-Year-Old-776x1176.jpg

My local barber shop is very unique to Taiwan; it fashions itself after the classic, old-time-y barber shops of the western world and even keeps an array of spirits on a shelf above the cashier. I spotted a bottle of this as I was paying (and tipping) for my cut and asked him to let me try a sip. Needless to say, I ended up with a bottle of this Panamanian rum in my cabinet.

This stuff is very distinctive and different from everything else I've tried. It's got such a rich and smokey flavor with hints of raisin and vanilla. The finish has a kind of tobacco/cigar thing going on...but it is exceptionally smooth despite that. This is very good stuff.

I'm familiar with the Ron Abuelo line and this definitely has me eager to try the higher end bottles. But obviously I wasn't going to spring for a $70-$80 bottle right out the gate. Glad I got to try this 12 year. I can certainly recommend it!

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
What are some good sweet/vanilla rums available in the UK as I'm thinking of branching out, I'm seeing Zacapa 23 mentioned a lot so will be on the lookout for that.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Fucksake. Went to a rum bar in London and its too busy and too loud to actually try any of the rums. Tried to ask for a specific rum about 10 times before giving up. :(

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
True enough. Was massively disappointed though. Just going to put in an order with master of malt instead for a bunch of drinks by the dram.