• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
We've seen how TNA did with 10 times the star power AEW will ever have probably. And i mean mainstream stars, not indie stars.
But especially, everyone is excited but i mean.. What is it gonna be, the same match up we had in ROH and NJPW for months ? I need to see who's there and how it's booked.

TNA was chasing the WWE too closely, in terms of how they booked, who they signed, storylines, ect... it always felt like a Dollar Tree WWE and it showed. It remains to be seen what AEW does as all we have is the name, but if they can hire smart, creative people with fresh ideas the TNA comparison carries very little weight.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TNA was chasing the WWE too closely, in terms of how they booked, who they signed, storylines, ect... it always felt like a Dollar Tree WWE and it showed. It remains to be seen what AEW does as all we have is the name, but if they can hire smart, creative people with fresh ideas the TNA comparison carries very little weight.
AEW has done a very poor job of managing expectations IMO

They should NOT have launched anything with only a vague idea of what they're going to be doing - it could anything from NXT-level to arenas to bingo halls with who knows actually wrestling.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there's a connection between Mean Gene and Hulk but all these tweets linked echo my thoughts. To use Gene's death like this is disgraceful.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
We've seen how TNA did with 10 times the star power AEW will ever have probably. And i mean mainstream stars, not indie stars.
But especially, everyone is excited but i mean.. What is it gonna be, the same match up we had in ROH and NJPW for months ? I need to see who's there and how it's booked.
TNA was a dumpster fire from the word go, the leftovers of the shitty ass WWA promotion that they failed with in Australia. It's always been a second rate promotion, that had it's brief shining moment of legit greatness around 2005.

The indie scene is stronger than it has ever been and the demand is there right now. There is A LOT of cross sectioning between mainstream WWE fans and indie fans. Just look at NXT, that's what a super indie looks like. AEW will be throwing wayyyy bigger money out there than what WWE is giving those guys. It may start with a pretty slim roster, but give it a little time, you'll see them picking up all a lot that talent just sitting
around on that bloated WWE roster and not making as much as they would at AEW. But obviously yeah, roster will matter.

Big names don't mean shit if you don't know what you're doing and your goal is to be WWE Lite. AEW is doing something different.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris

They should NOT have launched anything with only a vague idea of what they're going to be doing - it could anything from NXT-level to arenas to bingo halls with who knows actually wrestling.

And again, BTE on YouTube is SUPER amateurish and would rather give you the feeling those guys would do some private joke style ROH booking with bad humor.. But who knows maybe they'll have writers etc..

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Lol they are reportedly offering "WCW level contracts" for entry level talent.

It won't be a bingo hall promotion. Lol. Come on.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I kinda sorta see how it makes sense given Hogan being the only person of relevance from Gene's most famous era that is still alive.

And the optics are awful, but optics are weird because Stone Cold got busted for domestic violence and was on the run for months but he still gets huge pops when he shows up.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol they are reportedly offering "WCW level contracts" for entry level talent.

It won't be a bingo hall promotion. Lol. Come on.

It's just an expression. We don't know basically anything about the company.

"WWE level contracts" could very easily mean what you get paid to sign with NXT because virtually nobody signs as a direct-to-main roster free agent these days. Kenny Omega is literally the only person in the entire world who could actually do that.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Did Hogan ever make his return that he was supposed to make? I dont watch but everyone here was convinced he'd be booed out of the building because of his racist bullshit. Did that happen?

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys are overestimating how big a deal Hogan's drama is to the general public, let alone wrestling fans. I bet he's welcomed with cheers no matter what the situation.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I think you guys are overestimating how big a deal Hogan's drama is to the general public, let alone wrestling fans. I bet he's welcomed with cheers no matter what the situation.
Yeah I agree. This board is fairly liberal but the majority of the wwe fanbase is probably pro-trump and probably sees nothing wrong with anything Hulk said

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Really booking is all that matters here. If they can make AEW a must-watch program, they'll do fine.

TNA's issue is that it relied entirely on star power but booked all of them worst than late WCW booked their talent. They had brief "must-watch" for their debut but when audiences realized this shit sucks they turned it off.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
I mean, I kinda sorta see how it makes sense given Hogan being the only person of relevance from Gene's most famous era that is still alive.

And the optics are awful, but optics are weird because Stone Cold got busted for domestic violence and was on the run for months but he still gets huge pops when he shows up.
Stone Cold getting busted in 2019 would be different. Also Hogan is the worst even by wrestling standards with all the shit he pulled

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stone Cold getting busted in 2019 would be different. Also Hogan is the worst even by wrestling standards with all the shit he pulled
The crowds cheered Ultimate Warrior, who once advocated killing all the gay people, still cheer HHH, who once told a black guy that "people like you don't get to be champion," pop insane for Stone Cold despite his domestic violence charges and let the company off the hook for running a PPV in a violent dictatorship that had recently had a journalist contract murdered. Wrestling fans in general are #fickle. That doesn't mean "reddit," that's all wrestling fandoms.

And unless you're referring to something else, I don't think Hogan being verbally racist on camera is anywhere near as bad as Stone Cold routinely beating the shit out of his wife.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Really booking is all that matters here. If they can make AEW a must-watch program, they'll do fine.

TNA's issue is that it relied entirely on star power but booked all of them worst than late WCW booked their talent. They had brief "must-watch" for their debut but when audiences realized this shit sucks they turned it off.

i'd like to believe that but i mean, do we have an exemple of a promotion that did enough money to exist on national tv, based on good bookings ?
You tell me star power doesn't matter, but maybe to gain a big enough mainstream exposure, it counts more. It's not like WWE is doing crazy money with terrible, terrible product, just based on mainstream popularity.
Somoene was talking about nxt, but it seems NXT is not profitable, and things like total divas are killing it on the network lol. So that's how great booking and great wrestlers works, on a wrestling dedicated network.
I mean i'm all for AEW taking a big part of the cake, but is there even a cake!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
WWE actually has one of the most left leaning fanbases around
Is there anything to back that up? Their biggest demographic has always been white males
And I know we're just a shitty little subsection of the internet, but WrassleEra here is pretty diverse and aggressively progressive.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
i'd like to believe that but i mean, do we have an exemple of a promotion that did enough money to exist on national tv, based on good bookings ?
You tell me star power doesn't matter, but maybe to gain a big enough mainstream exposure, it counts more. It's not like WWE is doing crazy money with terrible, terrible product, just based on mainstream popularity.
Somoene was talking about nxt, but it seems NXT is not profitable, and things like total divas are killing it on the network lol. So that's how great booking and great wrestlers works, on a wrestling dedicated network.
NXT isn't profitable because they don't have a TV deal. It's not set up to be profitable on it's own. At the end of the day it's still a farm system for the WWE on the business side.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Its good that they honor Mean Gene but the best they can do is just Hogan? Fuck that, Flair could have been better for this. This feels more like an excuse to invite a racist prick back to the show.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its good that they honor Mean Gene but the best they can do is just Hogan? Fuck that, Flair could have been better for this. This feels more like an excuse to invite a racist prick back to the show.
I was around for much of the Mean Gene era and I don't really associate Gene with Flair at least on-camera.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify I never said star power didn't matter, just that it doesn't matter much if the booking of said star power is complete shit. WCW, TNA, and current WWE is literal proof of that.

AEW is set to have some star power if the rumors are true afterall. IF they're able to absorb some of the WWE guys and freaking Goldberg? Good god. Jericho as well.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
You know what Mean Gene?! I used the n word but that's in the past brother! Let's catch the next jet to Saudi Arabia dude!

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To clarify I never said star power didn't matter, just that it doesn't matter much if the booking of said star power is complete shit. WCW, TNA, and current WWE is literal proof of that.

AEW is set to have some star power if the rumors are true afterall. IF they're able to absorb some of the WWE guys and freaking Goldberg? Good god. Jericho as well.
They aren't getting Goldberg. Like, seriously. And Jericho isn't gonna sign long-term anywhere because he's a fossil.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rather them have Booker T honor him. He had the most memorable promo with mean Gene.

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't but I'm not a fan of Hogan and this whole thing feels gross to me.
What they should do: run a WWE-24-style in memoriam piece and have Hogan appear in it out-of-kayfabe in the same manner he did in HBO's Andre documentary, along with Vince and others who were influenced by Gene.

What they shouldn't do: have Hogan show up to his music and run through his routine

God help us they are going with option 2 aren't they

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What they should do: run a WWE-24-style in memoriam piece and have Hogan appear in it out-of-kayfabe in the same manner he did in HBO's Andre documentary, along with Vince and others who were influenced by Gene.

What they shouldn't do: have Hogan show up to his music and run through his routine

God help us they are going with option 2 aren't they
LEMME TELL YA SOMETHING MEEAAANNN GEEENNNNNNE

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't but I'm not a fan of Hogan and this whole thing feels gross to me.

Flair is just as bad as Hogan if Teddy Long is to be believed. Hogan is gross but the entire industry is full of Hogans, especially the guys who have been around for a long time, and more importantly, the people in positions of power.