• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I don't know and it doesn't matter, the result is the same. The Triads don't want Hong Kong to democratize, because they will lose power. They want to keep a status quo where they can profit from corruption, and they might think this is a way of keeping the established order. Since the interest of the triads and the Chinese and Hong Kong governments are intertwined, I dont think this is necessarily a case of the Triads receiving direct orders from the Chinese government, yeah.

Umm..alot of triad member, even Taiwanese gangster like whitewolf(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_An-lo) have ties to China and are for China unification.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know and it doesn't matter, the result is the same. The Triads don't want Hong Kong to democratize, because they will lose power. They want to keep a status quo where they can profit from corruption, and they might think this is a way of keeping the established order. Since the interest of the triads and the Chinese and Hong Kong governments are intertwined, I dont think this is necessarily a case of the Triads receiving direct orders from the Chinese government, yeah.

Of course it matters. As you say, their interests align and the triad can only profit from how things are because the Chinese government lets them; you think they can do something like this without a go-ahead from above?

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
There is a small rally happening in Yuen Long where last attacks happened, and possibly more attacks are planned to occur.

Locals have asked the police to protect them while they walk around Yuen Long in defiance of threats from triads.

Hope nothing else bad happens.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
You have people here saying exchange Chinese students or Chinese immigrants are actually covert spies working for the government, that China is infiltrated in big western companies and controls them, that the US should unilaterally "destroy" China... Would you consider taking those fascistic Yellow Scare moments for what they are, "defending" China?

No? I don't think I even implied such a thing. I'm talking about defending Chinas political agenda. I need to go back and check my prior post to see if I somehow advocated the destruction of China in there. I swear that it was a complete accident if that is the case.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That would have been illegal

The New Territories were on the 99 year lease but Hong Kong Island and Kowloon were all Britain's to keep. But it didn't make sense to only keep a tiny portion which is so integrated with the rest of the greater Hong Kong region so they gave it all back.

They should've governed/overseen it together. Complete handover was the wrong way definitely.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HK police official statement is they are not sure that the white shirt group participated in violence, and no arrest was made because they didn't hold weapon(They were sighted and photographed and filmed with stick and metal bar.
The violence perpetrated by the white shirt group resulted in at least 36 people wounded, and 1 is in critical condition

Police highest person in charge claim that police and Triad will never work together

Regarding HK...TVB is now pretty much just a speaker mouth for the government, most peopel are getting news and update from FB it seems
NOWnes might be ok, although kind of like to make big of little thing, they are the one that reported on the police firing on protester as they are leaving and such.

But most people are using FB to warn other of area where the white shirt people are gathering
7CKTshj.jpg

Some other company like Shiseido are letting people off early or not opening to prevent their worker from getting into these incident

Triads gathering in broad daylight and not a single person arrested after a whole day? what a timeline.

Oct 28, 2017
Upside down
All the guys in white are gangsters, the police pulled out before they turned up and didn't come back until they left. Shitty government.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You obviously don't know and of course it fucking matters...

Both governments are behind this, not sure why are you trying to blame it on the triads
Mafias don't obey governments. If anything, they make governments act in their interest, or blur the lines between mafia and government so that the governments suit their interests. They have their own interests, their own political ideologies, and they create a whole parallel society and set of rules that supersedes the state's legislation. In short, yeah, I have a hard time believing the Triads would do what the HK government, let alone China, orders them, when it goes against their business interest and political ideology. And considering how proactive they have been in the past when using this kind of violent tactics agains things they didn't like, I have no reason to believe they are under the Direct orders of the PRC rather than being connivence and the HK government looking to the other side because it suits them.
No? I don't think I even implied such a thing. I'm talking about defending Chinas political agenda. I need to go back and check my prior post to see if I somehow advocated the destruction of China in there. I swear that it was a complete accident if that is the case.
I dont know if you, particularly. But people do it all the time, in something that goes well beyond caring for human rights and into American supremacist territory.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Mafias don't obey governments. If anything, they make governments act in their interest, or blur the lines between mafia and government so that the governments suit their interests. They have their own interests, their own political ideologies, and they create a whole parallel society and set of rules that supersedes the state's legislation. In short, yeah, I have a hard time believing the Triads would do what the HK government, let alone China, orders them, when it goes against their business interest and political ideology. And considering how proactive they have been in the past when using this kind of violent tactics agains things they didn't like, I have no reason to believe they are under the Direct orders of the PRC rather than being connivence and the HK government looking to the other side because it suits them.

I dont know if you, particularly. But people do it all the time, in something that goes well beyond caring for human rights and into American supremacist territory.

The Triads did not do this by their own volition (if they did this at all)

Why are you defending the Chinese and HK goverment and blaming it on the triads?

Edit: Btw who said the government s "ordered" the triads to do this? If the triads are involved they obviously got compensated.

The governments are behind this attacks, so stop blaming an escape goat with a fantasy agenda.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The Triads did not do this by their own volition (if they did this at all)

Why are you defending the Chinese and HK goverment and blaming it on the triads?
I don't see how this is defending the Chinese and HK governments. All we seem to know is these hooligans are triads. I don't think China, nor the HK governments, have any control over the triads. The Mafias in Hong Kong have always been very powerful, very much integrated in the private sector, and Hong Kong has never been a democracy, nor has tee government been capable (or willing, due to corruption) to crack down on the organized crime, and it certainly has never been able to use them as pawns. The Chinese and Hong Kong governments are doing their best to keep a creepy status quo that prevents Hong Kong from becoming a democracy like was hoped in 1997, and the Triads love that because they keep the ties to the Mainland (Something they adhere to out of business interest, and ideologically) and prosecution of corruption will stay inoperant and weak.

So yeah, I think this is the HK government looking to the other side because the triads are doing the dirty work, rather than the triads being under direct orders.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Triads in East Asia are pretty powerful to be fair. I don't know why people would be skeptical about them being ordered by governments to do their dirty work. The KMT had gangsters assassinate an author in the US in the 80s for example. They would also use organized crime members to attack protesters or worse, disguise themselves as protesters and become agent provocateurs to attack the police which invites a more violent response.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not even american and am overall very critical about innumerable aspects of american (or US, to be accurate) foreign and domestic policies, regardless of which party is in power. Being critical about these things regardless of which country is being discussed is your responsibility if you are concerned with human rights. And right now, China is one of the worst offenders if we're talking about the bigger, more influental nations. I'd be careful about calling posters you don't know american supremacists this casually.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Remember when astroturfers on this forum tried to convince there are potentially triads among the protesters, so the police opression is justified?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm not even american and am overall very critical about innumerable aspects of american (or US, to be accurate) foreign and domestic policies, regardless of which party is in power. Being critical about these things regardless of which country is being discussed is your responsibility if you are concerned with human rights. And right now, China is one of the worst offenders if we're talking about the bigger, more influental nations. I'd be careful about calling posters you don't know american supremacists this casually.
Again, I'm not talking about any particular poster because I don't remember their names, but there are many posters (All of them American as far as I have seen) that routieely advocate for drastic American intervention in China, like crippling the economy or more, in the context of many Americans thinking unilateral interventionism by the US is a legit course of action.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened in 2014 during the Occupy protests. Beijing hires triads and other gangsters as provocateurs.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HK should have never been returned
I agree.

It's a shame the British were scared of being invaded and wanted to continue trading with the PRC, that they threw HK to the wolves. Treaties signed with an entirely different government than the PRC was a convenient excuse to hand it to the PRC (I refuse to say "back" because the PRC never ruled Hong Kong) but in reality had fuck all to do with it.

Oct 25, 2017

What would be so surprising about it? PRC, using their same technology and pressure they use for ethnic cleansing and snuffing out dissent, could easily exert power over organized crime to do work the Government doesn't want to publicly do. This wouldn't be the first time an oppressive regime would use the same tactics or even a first for the PRC.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
That would have been illegal

The deal wasn't made with the same government though.

When the communists waged war on the KMT, there's a very real argument that the UK shouldn't have to honor any agreement with them post the communist revolution. They could have remained loyal to the ROC (Republic of China) which had escaped to Taiwan, and handed HK over to them.

But, of course, money was involved, and China became the world's factory, so the UK, like the rest of the world, acknowledged the CCP as the rightful government of China.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a pretty poor and almost feels like a knee jerk response from the Chinese government. They don't have the same mechanisms in place in HK that they do in China to punish people and not only that, sending armed hired goons to try and intimidate will only harden the protesters resolve that what they are doing is right.

Not to mention how this will continue to look on the world stage, the Chinese government should have taken the loss and just waited it out. I really don't understand why they seem hellbent on doing this now.

I hope they don't give up, but damn...

I think it's going to push more people to come armed to any future protests and from what I've heard from friends still in HK, people are pissed and aren't willing to give an inch.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's sad. I love the city but HK is done for. Pretty much every acquaintance I know with the means to do so is leaving. I don't think I'll ever bother visiting again to be honest.

Fuck China and the people that support this turd ass government.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Hong Kong is a truly wonderful place, and I think that needs to be said because when defeatism becomes the narrative it's all too easy to lose sight of the fact that Hong Kong is really worth fighting for.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad. I love the city but HK is done for. Pretty much every acquaintance I know with the means to do so is leaving. I don't think I'll ever bother visiting again to be honest.

Fuck China and the people that support this turd ass government.

Yup. The people I know in HK has gone from somewhere in the region of 40+ people to about 7 in over two years. Everyone is getting out while they still can, there's a real sense that it's becoming too dangerous to just live there and that's not even accounting for how bad the weather is getting.

Damn. It could turn ugly but I don't see what options they have left.

It'll definitely get more ugly. The thing is, the white shirts are heavily outnumbered and with all the footage and stories coming out about innocent bystanders being attacked and such, it's only lighting a fire under everyone who has been protesting so far. The fact that the police didn't show up until after the fact is a huge talking point, I'd expect some kind of backlash there too, which is somewhat concerning as that will be used to clamp down harder on the protesters. Their lack of response seems almost planned to provoke that kind of response.

Hong Kong is a truly wonderful place, and I think that needs to be said because when defeatism becomes the narrative it's all too easy to lose sight of the fact that Hong Kong is really worth fighting for.

It's definitely an amazing place and there's no need to worry about defeatism, seems people are more riled up and ready to go than to just roll over and let the Chinese government do whatever it wants.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention how this will continue to look on the world stage, the Chinese government should have taken the loss and just waited it out. I really don't understand why they seem hellbent on doing this now.

Chinese people hate losing face. Chinese authorities giving in to the protesters would be deemed insulting. We're gonna keep going until they do and Carrie Lam loses the biggest face ever.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Wow did not know this is howthey operated, some truly scary videos.

Physical threat and violence, and online discord, so for these violence that are posted on FB, twitter, etc, there will be "Supporter" of the CCP that will say good job, or other, and repeat what the government is saying, some of them might be actual person, but majority are most likely not real person, but one person pretending to be many, making normal people think they are in the minority.

It's why they don't like Telegram and other secure messaging app that are used to schedule these protest, and also if even a possible hint of a possible protest or such, there will be heavy police presence there before , like there was a protest planned a few year ago in China in support of the Taiwan student Sunflower occupation of the Diet/congress building, the day before, there was heavy police presence, and it's not likely to be a real protest there, but real life heavy police, and online discord change the discussion completely.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Even if they are involved with the triads, they did not remain impartial when dealing with the white shirts and anti-gov protesters. Anti-gov protesters were shot at with gas cannisters while policemen were seeing having a friendly chat with white shirts.

Airlines are getting affected too.

ebY16d7.jpg
Hmm. I'm coming to Hong Kong via Hong Kong Airlines next month, I wonder if this situation will get bad enough to effect it

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like China wants the democracy people to arm themselves so they have an excuse to cause mass violence and basically enact Tienanmen 2019. There's no end game for this unless someone is willing to intervene, and that will never happen.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Japanese twitter did collect what happen on the 21st

#1 Police fire 36 shot into protester without warning as they are dispersing
#2 White T-shirt group assaulting normal citizen, police see and walk opposite way
#3 Many victem of White T-shirt group including pregnant woman, old people and a politician and other peoples.
#4 People calling #999(Their number to call for police) are either disconnected or hang up on, when reporting white T-shirt group

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
these pussy triads don't have the balls to go to the main protest areas in the main island and is making chaos in fucking yuen long instead
they will 100% be ripped apart by the masses

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
@LamYikFei, who has photographed so many incredible images during these protests, was everywhere last night too. He shot this image of riot police chatting with two men in white shirts with sticks/metal bars. Police said they made no arrests and found no one with weapons

yeah I get it

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If they're actully triads then they just got paid for it. Theres a history of Triads becoming involved in these situations for monetary reasons .

Political reasons as well. A corrupt government that turns a blind eye and has various links to high ranking triad bosses is good for them. They want to maintain that status quo. There's a reason why there's so much drug smuggling across the border and police do little about it.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Junius Ho(何君堯) legaslitive council member that was photographed shaking hand with White shirt group and earlier action including advocating violence/death toward HK independence protester, anti-LGBT, connection to Triad and falsfied record of lawyering and degree(He's a meme in HK for a "English" letter to the president of a University demanding someone to be fired which seems to be google translated at best)

He has had his office destroyed by protester, posting paper saying triad, traitor and such, while him and HK police claim they have no connection to the Triad or the white shirt group.
MEHu1hT.jpg

Not in any news yet, But circulating online through the various HK unofficial protest group is that Junius Ho family/parent grave have been destroyed and word such as dutiful son Junius Ho(In parody) and Official working with Triad spray painted around it, although other is saying it was destroyed, because he hasn't paid the "Triad" their money for their work yet.

RqQ46FF.jpg

[imhttps://i.imgur.com/gK4iNjB.jpg[/img]

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Video of a Pakistani Hong Konger journalist grilling Carrie Lam and Commissioner Lo is making the rounds on the internet. I was watching it live yesterday and it was really nice to see the journalists put pressure on the Government.

Junius Ho(何君堯) legaslitive council member that was photographed shaking hand with White shirt group and earlier action including advocating violence/death toward HK independence protester, anti-LGBT, connection to Triad and falsfied record of lawyering and degree(He's a meme in HK for a "English" letter to the president of a University demanding someone to be fired which seems to be google translated at best)

Here's the video of him shaking hands with various white shirts the very same night of the attack. Those white shirts were later identified in the attacks.

Here's Junius Ho throwing a tantrum in a interview yesterday. English translation can be found in the comments.