• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Heh.

Though given how much Nen slows the aging process, he should be fine in that regard.

Maybe.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Melody confronts Terror Sandwich and gets aged into Genkai in two seconds. Maha got aged into like a fucking pistachio or something.
I was thinking about Melody, and really hope Togashi realizes that this is most likely the last time he'll be able to focus this much on some of these characters (Kurapika, Melody, Troupe, etc.). So I hope he concludes some of their stories because, otherwise, they'll never get any kind of satisfactory ending (of course this doesn't have to mean death).

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
More meant the slow aging process (e.g., Netero, Maha), but touche. :P

Fear can possibly override any possible benefits.

It seems to be different from each person, Zeno doesn't seem to have the same good genetics and slower aging that Netero had. Even Beyond who should be in his 70's looks wayyyyy younger than him.

Maybe genetics it's the key and not so much about nen, and Netero family have some crazy genes.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It seems to be different from each person, Zeno doesn't seem to have the same good genetics and slower aging that Netero had. Even Beyond who should be in his 70's looks wayyyyy younger than him.

Maybe genetics it's the key and not do much about nen, and Netero family have some crazy genes.
Yeah, and how good their Ten is:

X3rbc9G.png

Everyone should just make their Hatsu Cookie-chan. :P

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure. Was going by this timeline.

https://hunterxhunter.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

Also, saw Togashi's pattern with birthdays.

Leorio: March 3 (3/3)
Kurapika: April 4 (4/4)
Gon: May 5 (5/5)
Hisoka: June 6 (6/6)
Killua: July 7 (7/7)
He was 17 at the start of the series. Add 2 full calendar years (there have been 2 Hunter Exams since) and the Black Whale voyage starting in August would make him 20.
Oh ok, it was a possibility i didnt consider, forgot the small timeskip to the whale too xD

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
So it seems to be looking like:

- announcement of return late this month.
- ne0;lation and Hell Warden Higuma cancelled in early(?) May.
- HxH return late May (as well as Samurai 8 starting).

So yeah, late May would be an exactly 6 month hiatus, so the usual lately.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

My heart;;

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Though to be clear, that's just my speculation. :p

But I'd be pretty surprised if it were later, especially since he had the storyboards done in late November.

HamsterDude

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
but yea just like last week when I made 3 posts on the toonami thread but didn't get any attention, I said there tonight that when it shows Ging again after Gon used his adult transformation, at first I thought Ging was Gon and that he looked aged-up and like his dad, but it was a stupid thought of mine I suppose.

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017

Wait do we have any indication for this or is this just wishful thinking?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Wait do we have any indication for this or is this just wishful thinking?
It's an educated guess based on circumstantial evidence;

- Jump needs to make room for the manga to come back and there are two series that will be ending soon - one of these will be replaced by Kishimoto's new manga, leaving an empty spot for HxH.
- Lately, there's usually been some activity around the HxH IP when the manga is close to returning. The 2011 anime will be getting a rerun and there's a new consolidated manga volume releasing very soon.
- Togashi had already finished the storyboards for the next batch when the current hiatus was announced.

Barring something unforeseen going down, all of this fits the pattern for an imminent return.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what?*trying not to read much into it cause that could mean we're getting somewhere and anime mught come back in som years pleas stop me"
Not a chance unless Togashi starts doing 20 or more chapters per year on a regular basis. They will likely wait until the conclusion of the Succession War to greenlight a new season, and we're still in the setup phase of the arc, though I feel the next batch is when shit will start hitting the fan.
I don't think they would have enough material to even do a 26 episode run. Maybe just barely but there is no real end point.
They definitely do, especially with how verbose this arc has been so far. Chapter 1 to the end of Heaven's Arena was 63 chapters (probably closer to 70 with how long the opening chapters are, but still), which translated to 34 episodes (excluding the recaps). The problem is, as you said, the lack of a point that could make for a good season finale.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going from the principle that he can keep the current rhythym of 20 per year... I do think this might be too optimistic, but it's the only reasonable explanation for anime reruns when you have so many new anime series running yearly in japan xD, unless they're just airing an episode a day, then it's just for manga sales

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Nah anime ain't coming back soon, i doubt they will even considered it before Togashi finishes this arc.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Can this arc even be decently turned into an anime season ?
There's absolutely nothing but Nen explanation.
Can I post one of the many scenes that isn't a Nen explanation? :p

There's definitely something to be said about the overuse of internal monologues and ability descriptions, but given the nature of this arc and what Togashi wants to do, it's all but inevitable. Also inevitable, given his health, is more "tell" than "show" unfortunately.

And weren't some manga readers also saying that about the CA narrator? Though I recognize many still completely despise him, even though some have tried to explain his necessity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSQa_obcNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9DU6U8BJKU

If anything, I think the biggest issue will be the number of characters and people trying to remember names, relationships, etc. (a problem for many manga readers as well). In this regard, I'm most worried that Togashi is spreading himself too thin with the number of characters, which is why I hope he's done introducing any more!

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

There's definitely something to be said about the overuse of internal monologues and ability descriptions, but given the nature of this arc and what Togashi wants to do, it's all but inevitable. Also inevitable, given his health, is more "tell" than "show" unfortunately.

And weren't some manga readers also saying that about the CA narrator? Though I recognize many still completely despise him, even though some have tried to explain his necessity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSQa_obcNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9DU6U8BJKU

If anything, I think the biggest issue will be the number of characters and people trying to remember names, relationships, etc. (a problem for many manga readers as well). In this regard, I'm most worried that Togashi is spreading himself too thin with the number of characters, which is why I hope he's done introducing any more!
Or starts killing them!

Oct 26, 2017

Yep. Togashi has been always interested in details and procedures and how things work, so that always made him more verbose than other other authors. Now, in the current arc this has been exacerbated for a reason. There was a moment in one of the past hiatus where in an interview he said that he wasn't getting any younger and started thinking how the hell tell all the stories he wants to tell before... you know, dying.
People especulated in that moment that maybe he was going to stop drawing, give the pencils to another person, and focus on being the writer. Lol, no. What he did was to compress the story with even more pages full of words, and more exposition.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yep. Togashi has been always interested in details and procedures and how things work, so that always made him more verbose than other other authors. Now, in the current arc this has been exacerbated for a reason. There was a moment in one of the past hiatus where in an interview he said that he wasn't getting any younger and started thinking how the hell tell all the stories he wants to tell before... you know, dying.
People especulated in that moment that maybe he was going to stop drawing, give the pencils to another person, and focus on being the writer. Lol, no. What he did was to compress the story with even more pages full of words, and more exposition.
Yeah, some people really misinterpreted this bit here:

Sometimes there are things he wants to "get payback for" that he wasn't able to create when he was younger.

"Romantic comedies (laughs). But I'm not young enough to do those kinds of things anymore, so sometimes I think it's better to have someone else illustrate my stories. I wrote a story last year called AKUTEN WARS (illustrated by Hachi Mizuno). I figure if letting someone else do the illustrations makes it a better product, I don't have any qualms with it. With Level E, I actually wanted to use more realistic drawings. But I felt there were two types of readers―the ones who wouldn't mind if someone else illustrated my stories, and the ones who want to read a manga that I've written and illustrated. I'm still not sure how to balance that issue to please the most people. For some genres I feel like it's fine to leave to the illustrations to someone else."

He's clearly saying that for things other than, y'know, the series he's been working on for 20 years, he's fine with someone else doing the artwork.

He even ends the interview with a pretty clear message as well:

"And as the artist, I still enjoy doing the story and illustrations. So I ask for those who choose to keep following me on this journey for their continued support."

Now I do think there may come a point where he should really look into someone else illustrating (and him writing and doing the storyboards, which he enjoys the most). But we'll see, I guess.