• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Sasuke is one of the most dislike anime characters ever and I've seen so much hate for him here on ERA. Now, don't get me wrong, Sasuke is a flawed character and he does do annoying/stupid stuff which causes eye-rolling. However, I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that Sasuke has legit reasons to act the way he does. He was traumatized when he was a child by his loving older brother, who he also had a massive inferiority complex towards, slaughtering his entire family and showing it to him firsthand. Not to mention, he then found out said brother loved him the entire time and was forced to commit genocide. I'm sure a lot of people would not react to this well and many people would go insane as well. So yes, Sasuke does deserve criticism but I do feel he is over hated in this regard

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
238.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dude popped one in Sakura and said peace. Ging Freeccs would be proud.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
He deserves a lot of the hate he gets and the way Kishimoto resolved it has become a meme, but I feel people downplay how a lot of the stuff he did was due to him being traumatized and what the village did to his people. There's also that dumb Curse of Hatred thing. Like his biggest crime was killing Danzo, who was one of the people that pushed for his clan to be killed out and preceded to use their bodies for parts.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he forced to watch the slaughter of his family on repeat for 24 hours? And this was after years of hatred and trauma fucking him up?

yeah it was no surprise he went full psycho. I agree OP.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he forced to watch the slaughter of his family on repeat for 24 hours? And this was after years of hatred and trauma fucking him up?

Yeah, Itachi using Tsukuyomi on him in that fight is what led to him leaving the village. As soon as he wakes up he's a different person and the Sasuke we see for pretty much the rest of the series.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I never understood why Itachi's involvement in all this is downplayed, if not ignored entirely. He's the source of a lot of Sasuke's trauma. Itachi using Tsukuyomi on Sasuke to force him to witness the murder of their family over and over again was fucked up and indefensible. Sasuke's rough childhood helped push him into being a douche bag, and Itachi had a pretty big role in being responsible for that.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I feel like it's justified because of how the show wanted us to perceive him. He was never really shown as a bad guy, but rather an antihero. Through that lens how much of a jerk he was and how he interacted with those he had a friendship with does way more to make me dislike him as a character than the reason for him being emotionally broken. If he goes full psycho, then it's an interesting character. If he actually stops being an ass to the people closest to him while still being an antihero, then he's a likeable character.

But Sasuke is stuck in edgelord territory and even IF you totally believe what he went through makes his actions and demeanor reasonable it's not like that makes him a fun or enjoyable character to watch/read.

He's just a butt.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Sasuke had valid reasons for the way he acted. Gets tortured at young age not once but twice by his older brother. The village was corrupt and killed his entire family and clan. Yeah and people wonder why this dude was crazy lol

Now Naruto and Sakura are the weirdos and deserve the hate, this dude was only with you guys two years max but the way they obsessed over him feels like they can't live without him and knew him his entire life. Sasuke wasn't wrong when he told them to fuck off. Stalkers.

And before someone says he never got punished for killing the samurais or attacking the leaders. Who was going to shit? Dude had God powers by the end of the show, and the only one on his level was obsessed with him.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I feel like it's justified because of how the show wanted us to perceive him. He was never really shown as a bad guy, but rather an antihero. Through that lens how much of a jerk he was and how he interacted with those he had a friendship with does way more to make me dislike him as a character than the reason for him being emotionally broken. If he goes full psycho, then it's an interesting character. If he actually stops being an ass to the people closest to him while still being an antihero, then he's a likeable character.

But Sasuke is stuck in edgelord territory and even IF you totally believe what he went through makes his actions and demeanor reasonable it's not like that makes him a fun or enjoyable character to watch/read.

He's just a butt.
I mean, Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter became more isolated such as not visiting Gon when he was injured and he has the same backstory as Sasuke,

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Never understood the love for itachi. Following orders aside, the one guy he wanted to spare he put through a crazy amount of trauma, then comes around a few years later and exacerbated the trauma by putting him through it on repeat for a day. What a piece of shit brother.

Even the more we'll liked Naruto characters were written like shit.

I like to think that people only liked him for his great OST.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Never understood the love for itachi. Following orders aside, the one guy he wanted to spare he put through a crazy amount of trauma, then comes around a few years later and exacerbated the trauma by putting him through it on repeat for a day. What a piece of shit brother.

He only tortured him cause he loved him.... haha.

Oct 25, 2017
And Naruto was orphaned as a baby and hated by his own village for over a decade in his youth because he didn't know they shoved a demon inside him. What of it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wait is this true? so fans not understanding this mental break is why they hate him so much?

Not at all. People understood just fine, doesn't mean they have to like the character, and said dislike got exacerbated due to how much screentime he got. It's not like people hated him from the jump after all, so obviously something occured writing-wise that made people begin to not give a shit whether or not Sasuke's behavior was justified. If the execution isn't on point, then naturally fans aren't going to be very receptive.

At the end of the day, all that ultimately matters is the reader's enjoyment. Sasuke's portrayal in Part 2 clearly actively got in the way of enjoying the story for a lot of people. Not to mention said portrayal had the inadvertent side effect of bringing down other characters (namely Naruto and Sakura) along with him. No amount of bringing up his tragic backstory, or overexplaining the whole Curse of Hatred nonsense will ever change that for me personally.

So no, the hate Sasuke gets is completely justified.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is either directly or indirectly responsible for a lot of deaths. And attempted to kill a lot of people.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Sasuke had valid reasons for the way he acted. Gets tortured at young age not once but twice by his older brother. The village was corrupt and killed his entire family and clan. Yeah and people wonder why this dude was crazy lol

Now Naruto and Sakura are the weirdos and deserve the hate, this dude was only with you guys two years max but the way they obsessed over him feels like they can't live without him and knew him his entire life. Sasuke wasn't wrong when he told them to fuck off. Stalkers.

And before someone says he never got punished for killing the samurais or attacking the leaders. Who was going to shit? Dude had God powers by the end of the show, and the only one on his level was obsessed with him.
I would agree with all of this if Part II didn't exist.

...but Part II exists. From what he does to Karin and Sakura after the Kage summit all the way to his final fight with Naruto, dude's actions and supporting logic were a jumbled mess.

And even if you argue that his ever changing motivations were the result of his trauma he endured coupled with the revelation of what the village and Uchiha clan put his brother through, he still does some irredeemable shit.

I always rooted for Sasuke's redemption but flipping the script to pretend that Naruto and Sakura were the "real problem" is wildly backwards.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Is ? Homie is insanely popular, internet folks hate him but like I dunno who cares. He's still gonna be in every jump crossoever game

Dude is either directly or indirectly responsible for a lot of deaths. And attempted to kill a lot of people.
Yeah, they ninja. Its what they do. Attempted murder isn't really the barometer for hate in naruto

Now the terrorism shit ,while justified. I fully understand folks not liking him for that.

Itachi is strait up a coward and folks get wild ancy when you bring that up because they want to pretend sasuke went crazy out of nowhere.
There's litterally a plot point where itachi is fresh from being dead and is like "Yo naruto I fucked up my brother bad , I need you to unfuck him " because he knows he fucked up so bad.

I would agree with all of this if Part II didn't exist.

...but Part II exists. From what he does to Karin and Sakura after the Kage summit all the way to his final fight with Naruto, dude's actions and supporting logic were a jumbled mess.

And even if you argue that the trauma he endured coupled with the revelation of what the village and Uchiha clan put his brother through, he still does some irredeemable shit.

I always rooted for Sasuke's redemption but flipping the script to pretend that Naruto and Sakura were the "real problem" is wildly backwards.
Kishimoto likes to do this thing where he likes to knock on the door of bigger complicated issues, but like run away before it actually answers he door. And that's sort of sasuke's problem. Like it really seems like at multiple points he wanted to adress how fucked up the ninja villages actually are even back in part 1. And just...never did anything with it

You remember the samurai? Its like that, shit shows up and either gets time skipped or ignored.

And Naruto was orphaned as a baby and hated by his own village for over a decade in his youth because he didn't know they shoved a demon inside him. What of it.
Eh Sasuke went though MUCH MUCH worse, and trying to compare naruto to sasuke's truma is laughable. Naruto was , as bad as childhood was born with priviliges that sasuke would never have

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Maybe if all the in-universe characters didn't bend over backwards to suck his toes
He would be just a smidge more tolerable

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So no, the hate Sasuke gets is completely justified.

The more I think about it , the more i think it isn't justified.

To be blunt, and this isn't necessarily applicable to you, a lot of naruto fans and anime fans in general are emotionally immature. And naruto isn't written well. Now is sauke over hated? No homies hella popular, but there are some people's who hatred stems from bad story telling and wanting characters to just be...magically. And that's just not how shit works.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Kishimoto likes to do this thing where he likes to knock on the door of bigger complicated issues, but like run away before it actually answers he door. And that's sort of sasuke's problem. Like it really seems like at multiple points he wanted to adress how fucked up the ninja villages actually are even back in part 1. And just...never did anything with it

Naruto: Wow, this culture and tradition of child soldiers leaves entire generations traumatized and causes so much bloodshed and war. I'm gonna be Hokage and change things for the better!
Also Naruto: Nah everything is gonna be the same now that I'm Hokage. More child soldiers for everyone!

Naruto is a neoliberal.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Kakashi for being a garbage ass teacher lmao.
KAKASHI IS LITTERALLY THE ONLY GOOD TEACHER THERE.

Let me explain how you fucked up. Ok, Ninja villages. All of them child solider factories. Not only that commit horrible atoricties to their own people for the sake of the " greater good " . You ordered the death of the uchiha's. Sasuke lives. Ok, now while no one knows you ordered the death of the uchiha, you problably should see how's he's doing. And no one actually saw how sasuke was doing. Sasuke was left to fucking rot with PTSD and myriad of other metal heath issues untill he was hormonal teenager.

Kekashi in the only one out of anyone who payed attention to sasuke enough to see something was wrong with that boy. He saw that shit immediately. And grew more aware of it as time went on.

It is not his fault sasuke ran, kekashi did the best he could. The village fucking failed that boy. No one , you telling me no one saw the fucking write in responses to his homework and went " He keeps writing in ' i'm gonna murder my brother in cold blood ' Maybe we should report that "

Kekashi is the only motherfucker who did his damn job and deserved to be hokage

Naruto: Wow, this culture and tradition of child soldiers leaves entire generations traumatized and causes so much bloodshed and war. I'm gonna be hokage and change things for the better!
Also Naruto: Nah everything is gonna be the same now that I'm Hokage. More child soldiers for everyone!

Naruto is a neoliberal.
you joking but like kinda yeah. Like there needed to be who sagas about like neji and shit and like garra and just... time skip magically better. Oh what about the child soilder thing we illuded to in part one, don't talk about it. Orochimaru doing experiments and villages doing the same, lets not talk about it even in boruto when it still fucking happening.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017

That's a weak excuse, dude was normal for most of the series. Even when he want to Orochimaru he didn't become some sort of homicidal maniac, that wasn't until Itachi died.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That's a weak excuse, dude was normal for most of the series. Even when he want to Orochimaru he didn't become some sort of homicidal maniac, that wasn't until Itachi died.
That's not how that works? Now obviously i'm not like... a ninja. Though I wish I was

However I did deal with an abusive father for... most of my life . Not everyone outwardly shows truma infact young boys are often told to hold in it and it isn't manly to cry or feel anytype of emotional distress. Sasuke's desire for power and being the best even in early stages be shown as signs of issues. Which were hinted at IIRC even back during the water village arc where sasuke's true nature comes out when he's angry and kekashi notes that's he's pretty angry kid and it sort evolves over the coarse of subsequent arcs

out of all the adults that interact with this child, kekashi was the only one who took notice something was off with sasuke , because he was that same kinda kid. Not everyone shows they have truama the same, way. Naruto moped, and sasuke decided he was gonna train to be an effecient murderer and being a ninja allowed him to do that. And considering the main economical export out of any ninja village is... ninjas. No one batted and eye. Until someone did

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it , the more i think it isn't justified.

To be blunt, and this isn't necessarily applicable to you, a lot of naruto fans and anime fans in general are emotionally immature. And naruto isn't written well. Now is sauke over hated? No homies hella popular, but there are some people's who hatred stems from bad story telling and wanting characters to just be...magically. And that's just not how shit works.

I mean, you acknowledge the series is poorly written, that people respond poorly to bad storytelling, I'm not seeing the issue here. People consider him the worst part of Part 2 for good reason. And they want characters to just be magically? I don't understand what that means.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you acknowledge the series is poorly written, that people respond poorly to bad storytelling, I'm not seeing the issue here. People consider him the worst part of Part 2 for good reason. And they want characters to just be magically? I don't understand what that means.
Sorry didn't finish that sentence, magically better. While I do thin some people hate him for good reason, I honestly think a lot of people don't. Bad story telling aside, alot of these same people didn't like him during part one. Any character they actually have to ...use their brain and empathize on emotional level is too hard, so no.

I don't think sasuke is hurting for fans by any means. But I'm not gonna pretend like all of his detractors are valid, I have been on this internet a while, and they aren't. Some of them aren't and I stand by that. Emotionally immature man children.

Aug 12, 2019
Sasuke, like basically all Naruto characters, just needed more time and development to be a properly compelling character. Naruto definitely feels trancated too soon and too late for a variety of reasons...

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Sasuke was better in Part 1.

Yeah he sucks in Part 2 but IMO Naruto and Sakura were even worse later in the series...actually Naruto more than anything. Sakura was largely ignored.

but Itachi is actually a good guy who really loves his lil bro.

lmfao this series can be so dumb sometimes

Oct 25, 2017
The slaughter of his whole clan and family in front of his eyes, the most traumatic thing a child can go through reprojected in front of him for a whole day, his own brother being responsible for it all challenging Sasuke to kill him and let his hate fester and boil? Why is that so easy to brush off as a "weak excuse"?