Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sasuke in Boruto is great. Probably the best character you know shits going down when he shows up.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Aside from his really unnecessary edgelord phase in hindsight, I think people are just more fed up by the people that put up with him lol. At least he didn't call a literal genocidal asshole "the coolest guy".

I'm pretty sure people were also generally cool with Sasuke slipping into a darker and darker path since they figured the only natural progression for the character would be for him to die at the end... And then they realized Kishimoto wasn't that type of writer anymore at that point soooo

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
All I know is I'll never get over The Great Snake Escape, Deidara got hit with the Konoha Screwjob by Kishimoto McMahon.

But really the worst part about Sasuke isn't even the man himself it's how Kishi writes the story in a way that makes everyone bend over backwards for him, he has an aura that makes around him everyone worse that never goes away until Boruto which no one watches.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Assumes entire post time skip arc sucked. Power up after power up, bs resolution after resolution.

For a while it seemed like baritone was utterly forgotten and not allowed to retain any advantage he had earned.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what was worse: Sasuke or the people who put up to his shit like Sakura, Naruto or the stupid Hebi group of stupid people. Orochimaru had the right idea when he wanted to basically harvest him for parts, he was not worth it anything else.

Oh sorry my ass, you douchelord.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
naruto was lucky it ended before it hit full bleach status. too much shit and not enough focus on the themes of the story.

like others have already said. the idea behind naruto/sasuke was a decent trope, someone who grew up cynical and isolated seeing the abuses of the ninja system not only on his family but everywhere and vowing to change it by destroying it and starting over, ending up with a clash against an idealist who also grew up in that system but saw that it could be changed for the better by pure reform due to all of the positive influences that came into his life.

problem is kishi fucked up the execution horribly so all you get is an awkward mess of edge

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Hated too much in that many fans place the generally poor perceived quality of the back half of Naruto squarely at his feet, maybe. Sasuke is shit, but was a symptom of a much larger issue.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
The ONLY people I have even known to like Sasuke have been teenage girl weebs who have a thing for that edgelord persona for some reason.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I find the main trio (stretching myself really hard to call Sakura a main here) to be extremely poor-written. But like 75% of what is shitty about Sakura is her relation to the Sasuke character, so some people lay that at his feet in addition to his own flaws. Naruto himself is annoying when chasing after him.
Also Sasuke is the face of the whole Uchiha subplot that consumed the entire series with endless Sharingan-wanking so he is also representative of that tumor.
So to echo what others have said, Sasuke is bad on his own, but everything surrounding him is made worse partly because of him.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Naruto is at its peak when sasuke and the uchihas are out of the picture.

Kishimoto got fucked hard by being forced to write the chunnin exam immediately and sasuke's betrayal immediately after.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like it's justified because of how the show wanted us to perceive him. He was never really shown as a bad guy, but rather an antihero. Through that lens how much of a jerk he was and how he interacted with those he had a friendship with does way more to make me dislike him as a character than the reason for him being emotionally broken. If he goes full psycho, then it's an interesting character. If he actually stops being an ass to the people closest to him while still being an antihero, then he's a likeable character.

But Sasuke is stuck in edgelord territory and even IF you totally believe what he went through makes his actions and demeanor reasonable it's not like that makes him a fun or enjoyable character to watch/read.

He's just a butt.
Sasuke is a straight up war criminal that never got punished for what he did, fuck him
This is how I feel, too.

Making Sasuke a tragic villain would have worked well enough; but Kishi had the gall to make Sauce an antihero. Lol no

He also totally ruins Sakura as a character due to her toxic obsession with him. And then even after the "redemption," Sakura gets what she wants and sleeps with Sasuke, and then he gets her pregnant and runs away. LOL like that was literally how people joked how the show would end and then it actually happened with the intent of being taken seriously. Fuck that guy, he didn't learn a damn thing over his arc lol

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's a poorly written character who ends up marrying the character that he actively tried to kill. He also gets his crimes mostly hand waved due to being a god king by the end of the series and the best friend of ninja Jesus.

Also the sad backstory doesn't really work when half the characters have a sad backstory.

I will agree he's not the worst in the series though. Obito wins that award.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
He's a poorly written character who ends up marrying the character that he actively tried to kill. He also gets his crimes mostly hand waved due to being a god king by the end of the series and the best friend of ninja Jesus.

Also the sad backstory doesn't really work when half the characters have a sad backstory.

I will agree he's not the worst in the series though. Obito wins that award.
Obito is the coolest guy

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
KAKASHI IS LITTERALLY THE ONLY GOOD TEACHER THERE.

Let me explain how you fucked up. Ok, Ninja villages. All of them child solider factories. Not only that commit horrible atoricties to their own people for the sake of the " greater good " . You ordered the death of the uchiha's. Sasuke lives. Ok, now while no one knows you ordered the death of the uchiha, you problably should see how's he's doing. And no one actually saw how sasuke was doing. Sasuke was left to fucking rot with PTSD and myriad of other metal heath issues untill he was hormonal teenager.

Kekashi in the only one out of anyone who payed attention to sasuke enough to see something was wrong with that boy. He saw that shit immediately. And grew more aware of it as time went on.

It is not his fault sasuke ran, kekashi did the best he could. The village fucking failed that boy. No one , you telling me no one saw the fucking write in responses to his homework and went " He keeps writing in ' i'm gonna murder my brother in cold blood ' Maybe we should report that "

Kekashi is the only motherfucker who did his damn job and deserved to be hokage

you joking but like kinda yeah. Like there needed to be who sagas about like neji and shit and like garra and just... time skip magically better. Oh what about the child soilder thing we illuded to in part one, don't talk about it. Orochimaru doing experiments and villages doing the same, lets not talk about it even in boruto when it still fucking happening.
"It is not his fault sasuke ran, kekashi did the best he could. The village fucking failed that boy. No one , you telling me no one saw the fucking write in responses to his homework and went " He keeps writing in ' i'm gonna murder my brother in cold blood ' Maybe we should report that ""

That last line made me chuckle honestly

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Let me know when the Naruto fanbase stops irrationally hating Sakura and Hinata, then maybe I'll stop irrationally hating Sasuke (and Madara).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People don't like him because he's a poorly written character. It's true that he's an immensely traumatized child that never really got the help he needed, and in that sense I have the utmost sympathy for him, but the story does him no favors.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KAKASHI IS LITTERALLY THE ONLY GOOD TEACHER THERE.

Let me explain how you fucked up. Ok, Ninja villages. All of them child solider factories. Not only that commit horrible atoricties to their own people for the sake of the " greater good " . You ordered the death of the uchiha's. Sasuke lives. Ok, now while no one knows you ordered the death of the uchiha, you problably should see how's he's doing. And no one actually saw how sasuke was doing. Sasuke was left to fucking rot with PTSD and myriad of other metal heath issues untill he was hormonal teenager.

Kekashi in the only one out of anyone who payed attention to sasuke enough to see something was wrong with that boy. He saw that shit immediately. And grew more aware of it as time went on.

It is not his fault sasuke ran, kekashi did the best he could. The village fucking failed that boy. No one , you telling me no one saw the fucking write in responses to his homework and went " He keeps writing in ' i'm gonna murder my brother in cold blood ' Maybe we should report that "

Kekashi is the only motherfucker who did his damn job and deserved to be hokage

you joking but like kinda yeah. Like there needed to be who sagas about like neji and shit and like garra and just... time skip magically better. Oh what about the child soilder thing we illuded to in part one, don't talk about it. Orochimaru doing experiments and villages doing the same, lets not talk about it even in boruto when it still fucking happening.
Agreed with all of this, but Iruka is also a good teacher. The world of Naruto is insanely fucked up though, like the entire society is built upon the backs of child soldiers and eugenics, of course it's going to produce maladjusted individuals.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sasuke is an idiot but he was also completely right by the end of the series.

It took a great deal of trust for him to pin his hopes on Naruto and friends not continuing to screw things up like their ancestors had for centuries before, and that was the point of his character arc I feel. He was right, but he acquiesced anyway out of a sense of loyalty to his friendship with Naruto, something none of the other Uchiha ever would have done.

Of course, all this being muddled in addition to needing to stretch the credulity of Sasuke and Naruto even still being in the friends in the first place, not to mention that, as stated, Sasuke is an idiot, it's perfectly understandable why he would get so much hate.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
The moment that broke me with him was when he found out the whole truth after fighting Itachi, and he's just like "I'm going to destroy everything!", going counter to his brother's own wishes. It made absolutely no sense, and nothing the character does after that point really does.

Yeah...sorry

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with all of this, but Iruka is also a good teacher. The world of Naruto is insanely fucked up though, like the entire society is built upon the backs of child soldiers and eugenics, of course it's going to produce maladjusted individuals.
Like and they keep touching on how fucked up it is, but never commit to critizing it and then they give up and time skip in boruto and things are just...magically kinda better. Like if you weren't going to adress any of this and have so much hinge on this stuff, why even include it at all .

The moment that broke me with him was when he found out the whole truth after fighting Itachi, and he's just like "I'm going to destroy everything!", going counter to his brother's own wishes. It made absolutely no sense, and nothing the character does after that point really does.

Yeah...sorry
It makes 100% sense.
1) He found out the village he lived in and did not give a shit about him untill he was a valuable combat asset an decided to run away murdered his family
2) Considering he found his brother dying alone , sasuke may have just thought his brother took the wrong approach and wanted to take a more proactive approach in changing shit. Considering his brother still, went out and did the bad thing sasuke could have totally though itachi wasn't the best one to make any type of calls... and he would be right in thinking that.

That makes, sense. It lead to him doing bad stuff, but that in itself is actually good story telling. Sasuke becoming a terrorist after all the stuff he went through. Narratively makes sense. The issue primarly they never really justify it / there isn't enough context about the bad ninja stuff for you to care because they never address it. They legit just skip over everyone elses edgy ninja problems and they just come back better.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like and they keep touching on how fucked up it is, but never commit to critizing it and then they give up and time skip in boruto and things are just...magically kinda better. Like if you weren't going to adress any of this and have so much hinge on this stuff, why even include it at all .

It makes 100% sense.
1) He found out the village he lived in and did not give a shit about him untill he was a valuable combat asset an decided to run away murdered his family
2) Considering he found his brother dying alone , sasuke may have just thought his brother took the wrong approach and wanted to take a more proactive approach in changing shit. Considering his brother still, went out and did the bad thing sasuke could have totally though itachi wasn't the best one to make any type of calls... and he would be right in thinking that.

That makes, sense. It lead to him doing bad stuff, but that in itself is actually good story telling. Sasuke becoming a terrorist after all the stuff he went through. Narratively makes sense. The issue primarly they never really justify it / there isn't enough context about the bad ninja stuff for you to care because they never address it. They legit just skip over everyone elses edgy ninja problems and they just come back better.
They never do anything with the systemic issues present in the society in Naruto, it's all just background dressing or serves as the tragic backstory for characters. Which ends up feeling hollow by the end cause like...they didn't actually fix any of the issues that caused people to do what they were doing in the first place.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
They never do anything with the systemic issues present in the society in Naruto, it's all just background dressing or serves as the tragic backstory for characters. Which ends up feeling hollow by the end cause like...they didn't actually fix any of the issues that caused people to do what they were doing in the first place.
This, like if they dedicated arcs about fixing the shit with neji's family or like gara reintegrating with society. And investigating like the villages handling of the children.

Sasuke becoming a terrorist becomes more powerful, it feels like an eventuality of a system that is creating people like this. But if you don't address it sasuke just becomes an overly serious character in ninja dragon ball z and the details seem like unessicary complications. Naruto ( the manga ) constantly seems like its stuck between trying to be something more, and just ninja dragon ball z.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about Sasuke is how the story and characters absolutely refuse to hold him accountable for anything. It is legitimately one of the most frustrating "redemption" arcs I've ever seen. There's no effort at all towards redemption, Naruto and everyone he's wronged are just more than happy to shove forgiveness down his throat whether he wants, likes, deserves it or not. The chick he merrily attempted to murder with a Light Yagami grin on his face in order to win a fight is all like "yeah but he' hot so whatevs". It's so fucking dumb. The fact that the entire story takes a nosedive when Naruto's main goal and focus shifts to "I must save Sasuke" is just the icing on the leather pants cake. It's some fanfic tier sloppy mess of a writing.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This, like if they dedicated arcs about fixing the shit with neji's family or like gara reintegrating with society. And investigating like the villages handling of the children.

Sasuke becoming a terrorist becomes more powerful, it feels like an eventuality of a system that is creating people like this. But if you don't address it sasuke just becomes an overly serious character in ninja dragon ball z and the details seem like unessicary complications. Naruto ( the manga ) constantly seems like its stuck between trying to be something more, and just ninja dragon ball z.
Absolutely.
The worst thing about Sasuke is how the story and characters absolutely refuse to hold him accountable for anything. It is legitimately one of the most frustrating "redemption" arcs I've ever seen. There's no effort at all towards redemption, Naruto and everyone he's wronged are just more than happy to shove forgiveness down his throat whether he wants, likes, deserves it or not. The chick he merrily attempted to murder with a Light Yagami grin on his face in order to win a fight is all like "yeah but he' hot so whatevs". It's so fucking dumb. The fact that the entire story takes a nosedive when Naruto's main goal and focus shifts to "I must save Sasuke" is just the icing on the leather pants cake. It's some fanfic tier sloppy mess of a writing.
Why would Sasuke ever be held accountable for his actions when literally no one is ever held accountable for anything in the world. What about the generations of Kages raising fucking child soldiers? Or the villages doing fucking battle royales with children? Or the genocide of entire clans, or turning children into living weapons, etc. Sasuke not being held accountable is consistent with the rest of the world of Naruto

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
wait is this true? so fans not understanding this mental break is why they hate him so much?

People don't hate him because of that.

You could absolutely write a good story with sasukes character and background giving rise to his motivations.

Where the problem comes in is he's clearly an out and out villain, rather than a rival, including joining the enemy team, acting towards their goals, murdering the acting head of state of Narutos village and trying to kill more of other villages, makes multiple attempts to directly kill people on Narutos teams, but Naruto insists on forgiving him (and other villains who have commited absolutely heinous acts) without giving them so much as a slap on the wrist as punishment.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
People don't hate him because of that.

You could absolutely write a good story with sasukes character and background giving rise to his motivations.

Where the problem comes in is he's clearly an out and out villain, rather than a rival, including joining the enemy team, acting towards their goals, murdering the acting head of state of Narutos village and trying to kill more of other villages, makes multiple attempts to directly kill people on Narutos teams, but Naruto insists on forgiving him (and other villains who have commited absolutely heinous acts) without giving them so much as a slap on the wrist as punishment.
He killed Danzo, who himself was a scumbag

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
The biggest bull with Sasuke is his power levels constantly being upped out of nowhere to be on par with Naruto. Dude was handed everything on a silver platter, from his sharingan to the curse seal to Orochimaru's abilities to Mangekyo sharingan because Itachi made sure to let him win to then an eternal Mangekyo via Itachi's eyes and eventually the sage powers (which included a rinnegan that Naruto didn't get).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He killed Danzo, who himself was a scumbag

And the head of state at the time, which never gets brought up again. He assassinates the head of state and it's never even worth a footnote. Plus, even if you think Danzo deserved to die, the only reason he failed at killing the other arguably more noble village leaders is because sasuke is a dense idiot. Failing at his evil tasks like that and his attempt to capture killer bee because of incompetence doesn't absolve him of blame for trying.

The series basically never makes any attempt to have sasuke realise that anything he's doing is bad or might have consequences (because as it turns out, it doesn't), which is how you make an utterly unlikeable character, unless all you want is ow the edge.

Last edited:

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Part II ruined every plot line

Itachi was not a abuser but a good guy
Naruto is not a underdog defying fate and birth rights he Jesus
Sasuke is forgiven
Oroch I killed kids maru is forgiven
Obito I caused countless deaths for a war is forgiven

why love Madara and Hidan as villains they straight up evil zero redemption

Sasuke in boruto is cool though dig is Keanu reeves look and vibe as a one arm ronin

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand, ffs Sasuke got RIDICULOUS in shippuden which was a shame since his arc reintroduction to when he kills Itachi is awesome. It's what happens after that's like, "What is this dude doing?" On the other hand, any scene with adult Naruto and Sasuke together is guaranteed to be hype. Which makes me which that the path to this point had much much better writing.

The biggest bull with Sasuke is his power levels constantly being upped out of nowhere to be on par with Naruto. Dude was handed everything on a silver platter, from his sharingan to the curse seal to Orochimaru's abilities to Mangekyo sharingan because Itachi made sure to let him win to then an eternal Mangekyo via Itachi's eyes and eventually the sage powers (which included a rinnegan that Naruto didn't get).
Nah, he earned that W when it came to Orochimaru. He played that so well just biding his time and getting stronger while the dude got weaker.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Sasuke ever be held accountable for his actions when literally no one is ever held accountable for anything in the world. What about the generations of Kages raising fucking child soldiers? Or the villages doing fucking battle royales with children? Or the genocide of entire clans, or turning children into living weapons, etc. Sasuke not being held accountable is consistent with the rest of the world of Naruto
Naruto's worldbuilding being bad doesn't absolve Sasuke of being terribly handled. You can sort of not think too hard about the former and just roll with it in a shonen kind of way because "that's how their world is", while the latter is much harder to ignore as Sasuke is a concise persofinication of almost everything wrong with Naruto's writing, and takes up way too much screentime and narrative importance post-retrieval arc, often to the story's detriment.

I also agree with the people saying Itachi should share the blame. His actions early on in the series read as if they were written with a villain in mind, and then retroactively retconned into being the doings of a tragic hero all along... And they work questionably at best when you try to paint them as the latter. Naruto has a macro issue with the way it handles morality, the Uchiha brothers being the most in-your-face micro facets of said issues, and Sasuke particularly so because he actually gets to live and continue to not earn his redemption while making everyone else around him look worse as a result.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to think of some redeeming qualities that Sasuke possesses.

He fought the Akatsuki at least once?
His personality before he went full psycho was entertaining. Recruitment followed by just completely destroying Deidara followed by finally getting that confrontation was good stuff. But then the issue was, "Ok what do we do with this character now that literally his entire goal since his introduction has been fulfilled, gotta put in a plot twist or something."

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sasuke is still one of the most popular characters from the series, he's not hated enough.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago

One of the biggest offenders for this was the whole "achieving world peace" Kishimoto gave Jiraiya and later Naruto during their confrontation with Nagato. A lofty goal that is incredibly complex to accomplish. It seemed like Kishimoto was developing Naruto by challenging his mindset and patience through Nagato destroying Konoha and killing many of his friends. With Naruto showing mercy to him and showing the audience that he could be the one to lead the ninja world to true peace (especially when compared to Sasuke who decides to murder shit)

...but in their meeting when Nagato ask him how will Naruto achieve peace, Naruto says I dunno but I'll keep trying while showing him the book of the person Nagato ruthlessly murdered with no problem.

...and Nagato is ok with this answer

...so he gives his life to revive everyone he killed in the village

...and Konan gives him some paper flowers and walks away

...and the whole "world peace" quest is barely mentioned again by Naruto

At the end of series it's like you said, barely anything changed. The ninja system is the same old thing, except now we got modern/futuristic tech so mission accomplished?

Basically Kishimoto loves to implement complex themes but always gives them simplistic solutions

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Him winning Oro is fine, it's the fact that he suddenly had Oro's snakey powers and abilities afterwards that was nuts. He could even summon Manda...
He already knew how to summon snakes before absorbing Orochimaru. Sasuke only gained faster healing and the ability to shed his skin.

One of the biggest offenders for this was the whole "achieving world peace" Kishimoto gave Jiraiya and later Naruto during their confrontation with Nagato. A lofty goal that is incredibly complex to accomplish. It seemed like Kishimoto was developing Naruto by challenging his mindset and patience through Nagato destroying Konoha and killing many of his friends. With Naruto showing mercy to him and showing the audience that he could be the one to lead the ninja world to true peace (especially when compared to Sasuke who decides to murder shit)

...but in their meeting when Nagato ask him how will Naruto achieve peace, Naruto says I dunno but I'll keep trying while showing him the book of the person Nagato ruthlessly murdered with no problem.

...and Nagato is ok with this answer

...so he gives his life to revive everyone he killed in the village

...and Konan gives him some paper flowers and walks away

...and the whole "world peace" quest is barely mentioned again by Naruto

At the end of series it's like you said, barely anything changed. The ninja system is the same old thing, except now we got modern/futuristic tech so mission accomplished?
Things aren't the same, for the first time all five of the big villages are completely united and allies instead of staying in their own business and doing shady shit to each other bts. Like, remember a big concern whenever something big happened like the village getting attacked or destroyed would always include a character saying "other villages are gonna take advantage of this and start a war." That's pretty much the reason why Boruto as a series seems incredibly bland compared to the original. It's an actual era of peace instead of an era of post war tension and creating conflicts centered around that causes them to come up with some really lame villains.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Naruto having shit writing and world building doesn't just magically make Sasuke not-shit. Sasuke is one of the most beloved edge lord anime characters ever. I don't know where y'all getting this idea that he's somehow over hated if anything more people need to acknowledge what a shit head he is even in the world's context. All of the Uchiha's were pretty much shit head's except Shisui and that's only because we barely even saw him.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No, if we're talking about misunderstood characters, Shinji and Asuka from evangelion are misunderstood characters.

Sasuke is just a bad character who does terrible things, and makes other characters do terrible things for him. He's not hated enough, honestly.

Naruto and Sakura went to shit entirely because of him.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naruto's worldbuilding being bad doesn't absolve Sasuke of being terribly handled. You can sort of not think too hard about the former and just roll with it in a shonen kind of way because "that's how their world is", while the latter is much harder to ignore as Sasuke is a concise persofinication of almost everything wrong with Naruto's writing, and takes up way too much screentime and narrative importance post-retrieval arc, often to the story's detriment.

I also agree with the people saying Itachi should share the blame. His actions early on in the series read as if they were written with a villain in mind, and then retroactively retconned into being the doings of a tragic hero all along... And they work questionably at best when you try to paint them as the latter. Naruto has a macro issue with the way it handles morality, the Uchiha brothers being the most in-your-face micro facets of said issues, and Sasuke particularly so because he actually gets to live and continue to not earn his redemption while making everyone else around him look worse as a result.
That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that Sasuke not being held accountable is consistent with the world-building in Naruto. Kishimoto created a world in which individuals can be powerful enough to basically avoid any accountability and a society in which brutalization, abuse, and war are commonplace and unquestioned.