• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
They never really were a thing here in Germany (now I know why) until hipsters "discovered" them a couple of years ago.

You know that uncomfortable feeling shortly before puking? You know it's gonna happen in ten minutes and you know there's not a damn thing you can do about it? That's what it feels like eating an avocado.

Now, I assume there are some very good recipes with avocado, but if there are, it's despite of it, not because of it.

I also know that there are many different varieties of avocados, but I'm sure they all taste like trash.

So what's the point of this thread? I guess it's a warning to all avocado virgins like me: Don't do it! Stay celibate!

DonnyHayabusa

Jan 22, 2019
Sounds to me like you had a bad avocado. Avocados are delicious! Make some guacamole with it. Heaven. Also from Germany :p

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
And you lived to tell the tale, good for you! It's the mouth feel of avocado that I can't stand. Flavor is, whatever, since you dress it up with lemon, salt, toast, etc. Just can't get over the sliminess of it all.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Avacados are good, virgins. Defile yourselves and revel in the debauchery.

Oct 28, 2017
OP was probably expecting it to taste totally different. Avocado is meant to add a savory-ness to food, which is unexpected with fruit.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Did you just

bite into the avocado? Because, ugh. Don't do that. Put some cream cheese on toast, turn the avocado into mush, spread it above it, salt, paper, though? Amazing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you eat it solo? Because that's definitely a bad idea- it's a topping/spread/etc., not a solo fruit.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
How as it prepared? And did you eat it with anything or just by itself? I can see not liking the taste or texture if you've never had it before and you just ate it plain with nothing else accompanying it.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
you should have tried it on a sandwich or something. I love avocado but I'm not gonna just bite into it plain like an apple any more than I would do that with an onion

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Grilled/Fried chicken sandwich with avacado / sharp cheddar cheese

*chef kiss*

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
100% with OP. They are disgusting and everyone should stop eating them and go out and buy a house.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
They never really were a thing here in Germany (now I know why) until hipsters "discovered" them a couple of years ago.

You know that uncomfortable feeling shortly before puking? You know it's gonna happen in ten minutes and you know there's not a damn thing you can do about it? That's what it feels like eating an avocado.

Now, I assume there are some very good recipes with avocado, but if there are, it's despite of it, not because of it.

I also know that there are many different varieties of avocados, but I'm sure they all taste like trash.

So what's the point of this thread? I guess it's a warning to all avocado virgins like me: Don't do it! Stay celibate!

Did you just cut open an avocado and start eating it like an apple or other fruit? Because that's not how you eat avacodo you have to at the very least sprinkle salt on it especially if it's stiff because it's not ripe enough yet. Even on the fruitier varieties you rarely eat avacado just as is. Mexican here btw we don't eat it in anyway that doesn't have it mashed into guacamole wich is always seasoned with at least salt or salt and lime. When we slice it or cube it it's also seasoned or it's going into something that seasons it by proxy like ceviche.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i am also german and don't get the hype some have for it, and yeah on their own they are not enjoyable for me and very rich. the only way I have enjoyed them is in a salad with lettuce, onions, salt, and pepper where they are thinly sliced or made into small cubes.

there are very few things i do not like when it comes to fruit and vegetables, i like all vegetables, the only two fruits I have trouble with are papaya and avocado, and papaya is more so the smell than anything else. at least this is of fruits available in european grocers, I have never had something like a durian.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Do not eat it by itself - I know some people can (or throw it in big chunks on top of food) but the texture is horrific.

Mash it up with some garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to make more of a guacamole type sauce. You bypass the weird semi-soft slimy texture and boost the otherwise plain, sort of grassy flavour.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
9ccac934-dcd2-4d82-a53e-b4fadd04dd92.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Mix that avocado in a glass of milk and sugar, and you'll ask for more before you're done.

Oct 27, 2017
Mash it with lime juice, sea salt, finely chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, and a touch of garlic. Eat with tortilla chips.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what you expected but.

Avocado is like a fruit made out of butter. It should be treated like butter in cooking and in consumption. Its savory profile should go with salt, not sugar. Try having it with some bread and salt and pepper.

Last edited:

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
the avocado was never meant to exist in germany (given current and past climate situations).

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avocados on toast, eggs, burgers, sushi, tacos, nachos, anything Mexican, brunch foods.

It works on most everything, except maybe straight Asian food. I've seen some Mexican-Indian / Mexican-Chinese fusion places that incorporate avocados beautifully. It's a wonderful item and the reason I can't pay off my student loans fast enough.