• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I largely agree with OP. But we're talking strictly the first half of the year since we know next to nothing about next holiday. Ubi is bound to have 1 if not 2 up their sleeve, I can't imagine Sony not having 1 of their remaining big 3 making it out by then, WB may have something etc.

Nov 8, 2017
2019 has a few interesting games, but everything right now indicates that it will be a big step down from 2018 overall.

But having some time to catch up on older games that I've missed isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I kind of agree, but only in the sense that I rarely ever get excited about any upcoming games to begin with. Used to, but I'm very "wait & see" these past few years. I keep tabs on some games, but until they're released and proved themselves good, that's all they get.

Funny enough, those games never end up being my favorites for that year.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have the opposite issue. Too many games sound cool that I want to buy, plus E3 chaos kicking in and even more games appearing.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cinema, games and tv shows look stacked of amazing for next year! And quite possible we will see the PS5 also

Next year is going to to be glorious

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
That's just you, fam. 2019 is shaping up to be a better year for gaming. Even if you are not into Resident Evil/DMC there are more than enough promising games coming next year.

I'd maybe not count out last of us 2 appearing next year. Feels like it could happen.

Yes, but imagine if they keep this one for the PS5 launch. It would be the most perfect way to start next gen. 4k/60fps...one can dream, right?

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Dying Light 2 is supposed to release in 2019. If there's one game in particular I'm really interested in, other than some of the big games that's already been written here (Ghost of Tsushima, Sekiro, Days Gone and The Last of Us 2), it's definitely this one.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always into new games, but to be fair most of the big things I've been looking forward to these past years did indeed come out fairly recently. 2018 had the best Forza ever and we may not get one in a while. It was Treyarch's turn at Call Of Duty so we may not get another excellent COD for some years. We had a numbered Battlefield and it's great, next year will not feature one surely. We probably don't get an Assassin's Creed next year, either. Rockstar released their latest blockbuster and they won't be making another one this gen probably. There was a new Tomb Raider, again none of that next year. Sea Of Thieves is finally out. Ashen and Below, two of my most awaited indies, dropped just in time for the year's end, the other major one I was waiting for dropped last year: Cuphead. Sequels to other great indies like The Fall and SteamWorld Dig? Already out and hardly getting more next year. And my Switch is still busy between the backlog and new releases like Mario Party and Smash.

If I look at 2019, I mainly see games I'm interested in, but nothing I'd die for. Crackdown 3 I'll play for sure through Game Pass. I didn't like previous Metro games but the new one looks cool so I'll keep an eye on it but not overly hyped. Games like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts or Shenmue (assuming it does come out next year) coming back have little nostalgia effect on me as I have limited playtime on said franchises. Anthem is something I could play, but I'm not feeling the rush for another loot shooter too much, the same goes for The Division 2. Rage 2 and the new Far Cry interest me to an extent but again I'm not feeling any major hype. Most of my favourite iterative game franchises won't have an ideal chapter next year (as said above for COD, Battlefield or Forza). Microsoft's main upcoming stuff is 2020 or later in form of Halo, Fable, next year pretty much has Crackdown 3 and Battletoads only. Nintendo currently doesn't have anything coming up I'm excited for as they already dropped a mainline 3D Mario, a Zelda, Splatoon's out, Smash is out, Mario Party is out and so on. Team Sonic Racing looks disappointing, will play the CTR Remake surely but a remake isn't hyping me as much as a new game surely. Not particularly interested in Sony's upcoming games, their output this year was far more interesting.

I'll definitely play a lot of new games next year, indies and AAs especially. I'll surely also play Call Of Duty, FIFA, the new Crackdown, and will probably pick up tons of triple-As for half off when they become available. But I've been thinking about this myself: between getting tons of releases at launch this year either by buying or through Game Pass (Far Cry 5, Sea Of Thieves, State Of Decay 2, The Crew 2, Forza Horizon 4, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4, Battlefield V, Super Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, Ashen, soon Below and so on) plus catching up on a lot of stuff thanks to Black Friday (Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter World, etc.), I feel like I'll be spending a good chunk of 2019 playing 2018 games instead. What is currently coming up is interesting, but few of the actual 2019 releases have my hyped as much as some of the stuff we had this year. The games I most look forward to (Doom Eternal, Halo Infinite, the next Forza, etc.) are not confirmed for 2019, and in fact there's solid chances they'll come out later.

So I don't disagree with OP. As far as my personal tastes go, there is not a whole lot that excites me that is confirmed for 2019, albeit there's many games I will play. It will likely be a great year for gaming, but I'm currently not in the hype cycle for anything that is confirmed to be coming in 2019 - truth be told, I mainly fall victim to hype in the last days/weeks, rarely much before as I usually have plenty to play either way.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't really have a God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2 (confirmed anyway) for me, but I'm looking forward to a few games, just not massively so.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to play Path of Exile on PS4, and will give Bioware a chance for Anthem.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 will great probably so will RE2 (though re2 is less of my thing). I can probably see one of them getting 90s Meta, that said gaming isn't all about the 90+ games.

If only interested in Gears 5, I'm surprised you have no interested in The Other Worlds then. Also I would recommend checking out Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal (that's out next year).

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tlou2 is next year. Ghosts of tshushima and death stranding should be next year as well. I doubt Sony delays all three games to 2020.

Seikiro looks to be one of the most unique IP ever. Anthem looks brilliant as well.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
that's unfortunate

i'm excited for Last of Us Part II and Catherine

quietly excited for Sekiro and Anthem

also hopeful that one of Respawn's games is released next year.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm more excited for what 2019 is bringing than any year so far this gen.

DMC5
Sekiro
RE2
Metro Exodus
Ori 2
Gears 5
Doom Eternal

Possibly Death Stranding and GoT too. Who knows what other surprises we'll get - we know little of Nintendo's 2019 lineup. And then there's the shit ton of awesome indies on the way.
I'd be surprised in any AAA releases next year surpass 90 on Metacritc. I honestly think this could go down as the worst year in a while.

Thoughts?
It's a good job I don't play games for their Metacritic scores.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean these are the games that were announced and released in 2018:
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate- 93/92
  • Forza Horizon 4 - 92/92
  • Astro Bot Rescue Mission - 90/89
  • Tetris Effect - 89/89
  • AC Odyssey - 82/84
  • The Messenger - 86/87
  • Guacamelee! 2 - 83/86
  • Dark Souls Remastered - 85/85
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 85/87
  • Two Point Hospital -84/85
  • etc

nfo81hfyf0221.jpg

I still think TLOU2 might make it in 2019, that Stanley Parable hint has made me a believer.

Yup, it's amazing the amount of people who think Astro Bot's one of the best games they played this year when no one knew it existed a year ago today. And I never played Stanley Parable, so I intend to buy it day one when it releases on consoles.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
All I need is Dreams and Ori 2. But there's also RE2 and CTR that I anticipate greatly. And if TLOU2 releases next year...

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
2019 seems to be an other good year for me, because I have plenty of stuff to look forward to:

• Kingdom Hearts 3
  • All remaining episodes for Life is Strange 2
  • Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course DLC
  • Hollow Knight - Hornet DLC
  • Twin Mirror
  • Control
  • Biomutant
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Scavangers (Play Testing)

I also have some games left from this year, so I'm actually pretty stacked.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I have sooooooo many games that Im interested, while I also have to finish ACO, RDR2 and Spiderman, that I dont even know how Im going to manage it.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'm not disinterested, but I'm not as particularly excited about 2019 compared to the previous 2 years. There are a few that will grab my attention with Stanley Parable, Judgement, Yakuza re-releases, Kingdom Hearts 3 and LOU2 (if 2019).

I'm going to use most of 2019 as a catch-up and get around to the games I've missed like DQXI, AC:O and Detroit

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completely understand the feeling because up until the last couple of years I had not looked forward to any video games since I was a teenager but now I've had a resurgence of interest in gaming. However I do have to say I am really sorry that Resident Evil 2 in a month doesn't interest you. I'm speaking only for myself because I love the original and eagerly await the remake.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
If i had to pick:

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Devil May Cry V
Metro Exodus
The Last of Us 2

No date yet, but im guessing they are 2019 games:

Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4

nekunando

Sep 6, 2018
To be honest, I haven't really been excited for anything in 2018 and considering the fact that I'm not bothered about things like God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Spiderman and the Switch was a little bereft of killer software (even if I still had an enjoyable year with what has been released) then recent Game of the Year discussions have largely passed me by.

Even going in to 2019, the games I'm most anticipating are Switch ports of older games that include Resident Evil 4, Onimusha and New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. I do, however, expect a couple of nice surprises :)

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3
Devil May Cry V
Anthem
The Division 2
Metro Exodus
The Last of Us 2
Tales of Vesperia

and those are just my must haves. 2019 is going to be a good year for me.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, see this as an opportunity to broaden you horizon!

Try new games, you could end up being surprised, there are some really high quality inputs in 2019 actually.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about your narrow taste in games OP. 2019 looks like the first good year this gen for action fans

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3, Ori 2, Indivisible, Outer Worlds, Metro, Sekiro, DMC5, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of us 2 and these are just the ones I can remember right now. 2019 looks stacked. But as switch player only I can understand if you feel it's lacking. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 comes 2019.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
I´m with you OP that most of ERA´s must-haves don´t interest me at all. I don´t care about DMC or Kingdom Hearts and so on. But don´t you think there may be dozens of titles that get announced and released in the span of a full year?
Also, your thread title clearly is overexaggerated which is why you are getting these responses. I personally think you should have just stated that the blockbusters announced so far simply are not for you and that you hope there will be more titles getting announced.