• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really, REALLY hope this story isn't forgotten and that Insomniac makes this right. Absolutely vile behavior.

New allegations

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Was this posted?

My overall experience at @insomniacgames was so bad that not shortly after I resigned in 2010, I quit programming altogether.

14/ In my exit interview I was told in no uncertain terms of a "handshake agreement" between studios to "prevent poaching". If my resume turned up at @Naughty_Dog or nearby studios, Insomniac would get a call. Intimidated out of the industry whether I was ready to leave or not.

Gut wrenching..

Nov 2, 2017
Uhh, in that thread:

This is illegal. Anti-poaching agreements like this are considered violations of anti-trust. There have been numerous lawsuits and DOJ enforcement actions against tech firms for doing exactly this. Apple, Google, eBay, Pixar, Adobe, Intel, a lot of companies got sued and had to pay significant damages for exactly this behavior.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Uhh, in that thread:

This is illegal. Anti-poaching agreements like this are considered violations of anti-trust. There have been numerous lawsuits and DOJ enforcement actions against tech firms for doing exactly this. Apple, Google, eBay, Pixar, Adobe, Intel, a lot of companies got sued and had to pay significant damages for exactly this behavior.

This is awful. Basically blacklisting people from the industry so other victims of abuse wouldn't speak out.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a surprise Naughty Dog would get caught up in shitty practices but Insomniac actually seemed like a good place to work. Guess not.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Uhh, in that thread:

What the fuck am I reading? Really? God damn you insomniac. It's always the places you least expect that leave your jaw on the floor.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ that anti-poaching handshake agreement is a special kind of manipulation. Effectively set up to intimidate people into not dissenting or risk getting blacklisted from the industry.

Fuck Insomniac, and fuck the studios who took part in it like Naughty Dog.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh, in that thread:

"or nearby studios", oh-oh there is something to dig for Shreier here : bluff or not you cannot threat someone like this, especially during a contractual agreement.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The ND info prolly deserves a new thread what with the crunch shit and now this.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ND info prolly deserves a new thread what with the crunch shit and now this.

Yep, new info, new thread.

This is pretty terrible though. I encountered similar contracts and agreements in the past, but first of all they're often illegal, and second even when they aren't they usually have short timeframes, and it's mainly to protect industrial secrets. What harm would Naughty Dog have from an ex-Insomniac dev? What secrets or trusted info would a person bring over from one Sony-related studio to another (back then Insomniac was not owned by Sony, which makes it worse)?

Crazy. This industry is so rotten. Really hope this gets called out as it needs to be and we're not gonna close an eye on it because it's talented studios we're talking about.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"or nearby studios", oh-oh there is something to dig for Shreier here : bluff or not you cannot threat someone like this, especially during a contractual agreement.
Apple and Google got caught doing this shit a few years back too

www.reuters.com

Apple, Google agree to settle lawsuit alleging hiring conspiracy

Four major tech companies including Apple and Google have agreed to settle a lawsuit accusing them of conspiring to hold down salaries in Silicon Valley, just weeks before a high profile trial had been scheduled to begin.

In one email exchange after a Google recruiter solicited an Apple employee, Schmidt told Jobs that the recruiter would be fired, court documents show. Jobs then forwarded Schmidt's note to a top Apple human resources executive with a smiley face.
Time for a new suit to emerge if this still goes on

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I really, really, REALLY hope this story isn't forgotten and that Insomniac makes this right. Absolutely vile behavior.
You think gamers care how women are treated in gaming?
All you need is to look at twitter and you will have your answer.

I'm constantly reminded by them how I don't belong playing games.
Screenshot_1.png

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a developer fuck all these people. This fucking industry can be total shit for the frontline workers sometimes be it in games or just general tech development.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
How stupid can this peopel be?

It is 2020...
I been in gaming communities since 2014, and I lost any hope that gamers will have care how toxic the gaming community is towards women a long time ago.
Even here most that pretend to care are just some wierd fanboys that use this mostly to attack some publisher they don't like, and hoping the one they do never appear mention in here.

Gamers care more about some stupid pudles or some grass on a shield that they will ever care for how women are threated in gaming.

Btw last time I posted here I said people will stop caring about this in 3 days. I was wrong. Didn't even lasted 24 hrs until people stop caring.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
This is completely unrelated to me and even then the thought of "this might fuck up my career if I make this thread" crossed my mind
This is completely unrelated to me and even then the thought of "this might fuck up my career if I make this thread" crossed my mind

Why is RS banned?
Anyway, I can definitely understand and sympathize with your situation, same thoughts would have crossed my mind... which is why it's super important to keep pushing.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Uhh, in that thread:

Is that really the case? These things are all over the IT consultancy world that the company you are consulting with can't hire you away from the company you are consulting for, at least without consent or compensation. Insomniac and Naughty Dog weren't just two game companies, they had some kind of partnership where they frequently shared tech which would imply that folks at ND worked with folks at Insomniac, so I'm not sure this falls in line with the type of anti-poaching practice you are discussing.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I hope Insomniac comes out clearly with a statement that their work culture has changed since and that they stand for inclusivity. They cannot keep quiet.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
I feel like this should be more about the victim and Insomniac Games protecting abusers and less about Cory's comment; the title makes me feel this wouldn't be a thread if he didn't respond which is gross.

Fucking awful she had to go through that.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this should be more about the victim and Insomniac Games protecting abusers and less about Cory's comment; the title makes me feel this wouldn't be a thread if he didn't respond which is gross.
The original tweets from Sol are a year old, while Cory only commented today but yeah you're probably right.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Jesus, these tweets are all from June 2020 and I completely missed that this happened. Shame on Insomniac and it's leadership and thank you for making this thread, they're so strong for telling their story. But if we don't/didn't have a thread on this then we should reboot this about their story and not focus on a popular game director from another studio responding to it over a year later imo because it's important for people to be aware of and more respectful

edit: thank you mods for combining the threads

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Fucking awful she had to go through that.

The original allegations are from last year and there was a thread/discussion about it:

www.resetera.com

"I left Insomniac Games because of how they treat women" Ex-Employee speaks out

Follow the thread here Some excerpts: Worth pointing out that Edgar was eventually fired. Read the thread for the rest. Awful stuff and even more shocking that the behavior came from a member of the HR team. We need to do better.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Rift Apart is my last Insomniac game.
Fuck this company.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Surely this is the story, not that Cory commented :(

Very sad to see things don't appear to have changed, but also not very surprising as the original response from Insomniac to this was basically: sorry not sorry.

And with the Ubisoft news too. The industry really needs to take a hard look at itself.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
We should continue to keep holding Insomniac's feet to the fire on this but I fear once the brand new Spidey trailer drops people would miraculously forget. Much like the Ubi stuff, smh.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Somehow missed this when it happened last year, so the bump is appreciated for awareness.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
people already miracolously forgot. This thread is a year old.

*raises hand*

Thread/allegation feels familiar to me, but I didn't remember this at all. If anything, I'd started to see Insomniac as one of the "good ones," in that their work environment seemed less horrific than most other AAA studios.

Damn.